Fantasy trip: A month in Scotland UPDATED: DAILY ITINERARY ADDED

philsRHman

2 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

I am not saying anything negative about your trip - I am just back from 12 days skiing in Colorado, Jackson Hole and Salt Lake City. Going again in 6 weeks to Salt Lake City. 

To me life has to continue but be sensible(mask, hands etc)

I was just trying to get you a Scottish side, since I follow it daily. 

Oh, it wasn't in response to you, I was just reflecting on it myself.

• Like 1

I'm rescheduled for the end of April and losing hope that I will make it over. At this point I have no desire to reschedule as I'm sure the rest of the year is booked and 2022 is unpredictable with the Open at SA. I started emailing clubs yesterday to get an idea of cancellation T's & C's on my rebookings from last year. All have been very kind and understanding in their replies as they were last year. Makes cancelling even more difficult when everyone is so nice! Muirfield is meeting today to discuss how they will handle cancellations due to travel/quarantine restrictions. Carnoustie has offered 50% refund or they will hold until March 31, 2024 and honor original rate paid. Everyone else (Kingsbarns, Elie, Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay and North Berwick) is abiding by their usual cancellation windows.  

Stupidly purchased my flight with United in early December due to a good rate. May audible this whole thing to Bandon and eat the difference in flight cost. Decisions, decisions. Rant over!

We had September 2020 booked, rebooked to June 21 and now thinking this may not happen.  Hoping for the best but a lot of unknowns and the vaccine rollout is not moving very quick.   2022 will be a pain I believe for rebooks as The Open is at St. Andrews which will have more non availability.

Fingers crossed!

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

17 hours ago, Bbo569 said:

I was scheduled for April 2020 and rescheduled for April 2021.  Flight has already been cancelled so will be touching base with the courses here at the end of January to see how they would like to proceed.

Sorry to hear that. I noticed there were no/few flights through March, didn’t realize it spilled into April now too. I’m mentally preparing that I will have to cancel in another month, although to be honest I think I have until the first week in March to cancel everything without penalty. I’m going to hold off booking anything that would be nonrefundable. Ive been surprised on lodging that more innkeepers ive spoken to haven’t been flexible with cancelation fees, but I fully understand this is their livelihood and they can’t risk letting people cancel on a whim. 

edited to add: what they’re all saying is they will only refund fully in case their govt makes it impossible to let an apartment. But no one will give me a straight answer what that means and even if the current level of lockdown would qualify. 

Edited by philsRHman

21 hours ago, buckI said:

We had September 2020 booked, rebooked to June 21 and now thinking this may not happen.  Hoping for the best but a lot of unknowns and the vaccine rollout is not moving very quick.   2022 will be a pain I believe for rebooks as The Open is at St. Andrews which will have more non availability.

Fingers crossed!

This is my thinking too. 2022 will be complicated and I understand TOC requires hitting mats for months in advance of the Open.

Especially since my wife and my job blessed the 3 weeks this May (due to the possible quarantine), I feel like it’s definitely a once in a lifetime chance and I have to give it every possible opportunity to happen. 

22 hours ago, Bbo569 said:

I was scheduled for April 2020 and rescheduled for April 2021.  Flight has already been cancelled so will be touching base with the courses here at the end of January to see how they would like to proceed.

Curious if you cancelled the flight or if it was cancelled by the airline? If it was the airline, do you mind sharing which one?

I'm scheduled for end of May thru early June. Flight booked on United back in November as it was a very good deal. If I can't make it that's fine as I can rebook for somewhere else.

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

On 1/9/2021 at 2:16 PM, srs06d said:

Curious if you cancelled the flight or if it was cancelled by the airline? If it was the airline, do you mind sharing which one?

American Airlines.  It was cancelled by American.  It looks like there are still flights, but you now have to divert through London whereas ours was a direct flight to Edinburgh from Philadelphia.  Still may try re-booking a flight, but holding off as it doesn't look promising for April and would be one less thing I have to cancel then.

• 1 month later...

So today’s news isn’t encouraging. I’m thinking the likelihood of a May trip is down to about 10%. It seems they’re moving to tighter restrictions, not easing. I’d hoped that the signal they were shortening quarantine with a negative test a while back was a good sign but heading the wrong way now. 

I’ve now heard back from all my reservations that at this point even if they wanted to, the lodging can’t rent to me and the golf can’t book me since I’m not local. But they’re mostly also saying fingers are crossed for improvements and easing and maybe once we get to late March and into April things will break. They’re all saying it’s fine to just hang onto my reservations and they’ll figure something out. 

I started looking at rescheduling. Can’t do summer (son out of school and unclear about camp, would make it too hard for my wife, plus family vacation, even if it’s a staycation). Early Sept will be tough with him possibly going back to school for the first time in 18 months, need to be here. Late September and early October look like St Andrews is jammed with the Dunhill. Then it looks like the days get short pretty quickly into mid/late October. Curious if anyone’s made the trip that time of year. I could likely make it work to shift the entire itinerary (NB for 1.5 weeks, zip to Cruden Bay for 2-3 days, then 8-9 days in SA).  Might be fun and cool to play the Old right after the tour is there. 

Alternatively, I guess I have to decide if it’s worth pushing to spring of 2022. I understand The Old Course requires mats inbthe months ahead of the Open which seems terrible, but maybe someone knows better. 

15 hours ago, philsRHman said:

So today’s news isn’t encouraging. I’m thinking the likelihood of a May trip is down to about 10%. It seems they’re moving to tighter restrictions, not easing. I’d hoped that the signal they were shortening quarantine with a negative test a while back was a good sign but heading the wrong way now. 

I’ve now heard back from all my reservations that at this point even if they wanted to, the lodging can’t rent to me and the golf can’t book me since I’m not local. But they’re mostly also saying fingers are crossed for improvements and easing and maybe once we get to late March and into April things will break. They’re all saying it’s fine to just hang onto my reservations and they’ll figure something out. 

I started looking at rescheduling. Can’t do summer (son out of school and unclear about camp, would make it too hard for my wife, plus family vacation, even if it’s a staycation). Early Sept will be tough with him possibly going back to school for the first time in 18 months, need to be here. Late September and early October look like St Andrews is jammed with the Dunhill. Then it looks like the days get short pretty quickly into mid/late October. Curious if anyone’s made the trip that time of year. I could likely make it work to shift the entire itinerary (NB for 1.5 weeks, zip to Cruden Bay for 2-3 days, then 8-9 days in SA).  Might be fun and cool to play the Old right after the tour is there. 

Alternatively, I guess I have to decide if it’s worth pushing to spring of 2022. I understand The Old Course requires mats inbthe months ahead of the Open which seems terrible, but maybe someone knows better. 

I’ve made a couple trips in October to Scotland since it’s my bday month. I usually go the week after the Dunhill. The courses are in great shape and it’s not that crowded. 

Edited by hammergolf
misspelled word

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

11 hours ago, philsRHman said:

I emailed St. Andrews to inquire about mats prior to the Open and they directed me to this link:

https://www.standrews.com/play/busy-dates/the-open-2022-course-info-and-closures

Unfortunately it isn't very helpful as it only states "in the months leading up to championship." Given that they are typically off mats during the winter I could see this carrying over all the way until the Open. I have no experience nor authority to speak to this, just hazarding a guess! 

3 hours ago, srs06d said:

I emailed St. Andrews to inquire about mats prior to the Open and they directed me to this link:

https://www.standrews.com/play/busy-dates/the-open-2022-course-info-and-closures

Unfortunately it isn't very helpful as it only states "in the months leading up to championship." Given that they are typically off mats during the winter I could see this carrying over all the way until the Open. I have no experience nor authority to speak to this, just hazarding a guess! 

I heard it was April on when they host the Open.

3 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I heard it was April on when they host the Open.

And I’m pretty sure they require them through March as a matter of routine, which is why I’d agree it will just continue through. 

Glad to hear the endorsement of October. Maybe I’ll aim to be in North Berwick the two weeks of the Dunhill and then get to St Andrews after it’s done. I was so excited about having daylight until 930 pm. Sunset in October quickly drops through the month from 630 to 545 which would might make 36 a day a challenge. 

Will have to make a sacrifice somewhere. I suppose better weather, smaller crowds and shorter days is a better trade than the issue of the Old mats. But I’d feel foolish to short-sightedly avoid the mats if they’re actually not bad. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, philsRHman said:

And I’m pretty sure they require them through March as a matter of routine, which is why I’d agree it will just continue through. 

Glad to hear the endorsement of October. Maybe I’ll aim to be in North Berwick the two weeks of the Dunhill and then get to St Andrews after it’s done. I was so excited about having daylight until 930 pm. Sunset in October quickly drops through the month from 630 to 545 which would might make 36 a day a challenge. 

Will have to make a sacrifice somewhere. I suppose better weather, smaller crowds and shorter days is a better trade than the issue of the Old mats. But I’d feel foolish to short-sightedly avoid the mats if they’re actually not bad. 

Sounds like a good plan. I have not tried to play 36 in October, but if you are first off, you have time. On my last trip we played one day first off at 7:30, and we’re last off another day at 1:30. So you would have time. Of course the weather can always change at the drop of a hat. But the last time (2018) it rained out first day at Craig, then the other 6 days it was absolutely PERFECT! Blue sky, sunny, low 60’s. October tends to be a decent weather month.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Sounds like a good plan. I have not tried to play 36 in October, but if you are first off, you have time. On my last trip we played one day first off at 7:30, and we’re last off another day at 1:30. So you would have time. Of course the weather can always change at the drop of a hat. But the last time (2018) it rained out first day at Craig, then the other 6 days it was absolutely PERFECT! Blue sky, sunny, low 60’s. October tends to be a decent weather month.

Agreed that October is generally good weather but on the day we played TOC there was a Haar until about 1 o'clock. So it was touch and go to finish before dark.

• Like 2

The past 5-6 years, October seems like it almost a better month golf wise certainly than March is and on occasion even April so conditions wise in October, I think that you find that you would be fine to play and if you are smart with your tee times then 36 holes is definitely a possibility.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I know this year my dad was golfing 3 times a week(69 years old) until the end of November as long as it was not raining so he was certainly still getting some very good golf in October. 

Check when the courses do their annual close for a week, I know RAGC does their's about October 20 for a few days. this is where they pile on sand etc to firm up areas, hole the fairways and greens etc. 

Just checked the fixture list for RAGC and its the October 18-20 in 2021.

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 09.40.00.png

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Thanks everyone. I heard back from one of my innkeepers and she sounded far more optimistic than some of the others. Mentioned that schools are reopening, said she's keeping alive hopes that they're moving in the right direction. At this point, it sounds like everyone's very flexible, and there will be opportunities to move to October if I have to make that move. Seems like a better trip than next May (mats at the Old, likely massive crowds, plus the thought of waiting through another winter doesn't sound great, and it might be cool to try playing right after the pros play in the Dunhill). 

I had added the extra week to my trip knowing I might have to quarantine, but the more I think about 10 days in a stranger's studio flat, the worse it sounds, a true recipe for going stir crazy. Five days is no sweat since I'll be working anyway, so we'll see if being vaccinated starts to factor into their decisions over the next 60 days or so. Supposedly the next round of guidance is expected March 1, which is right around the corner. 

1 hour ago, philsRHman said:

Thanks everyone. I heard back from one of my innkeepers and she sounded far more optimistic than some of the others. Mentioned that schools are reopening, said she's keeping alive hopes that they're moving in the right direction. At this point, it sounds like everyone's very flexible, and there will be opportunities to move to October if I have to make that move. Seems like a better trip than next May (mats at the Old, likely massive crowds, plus the thought of waiting through another winter doesn't sound great, and it might be cool to try playing right after the pros play in the Dunhill). 

I had added the extra week to my trip knowing I might have to quarantine, but the more I think about 10 days in a stranger's studio flat, the worse it sounds, a true recipe for going stir crazy. Five days is no sweat since I'll be working anyway, so we'll see if being vaccinated starts to factor into their decisions over the next 60 days or so. Supposedly the next round of guidance is expected March 1, which is right around the corner. 

You will enjoy October. Much less crowded and still time to play plenty of lots golf. I'm hoping to make our trip to Ireland this October we had to postpone last year.

12 hours ago, philsRHman said:

If you do October this year then I will be in Scotland so give me a shout and come play Royal Aberdeen. 

I played the last day the course was open before the Dunhill in 2019, cool with final prep setting up stands and cameras; played a fun scratch comp with a friend(New Club member) against two guys with plus handicaps from the St Andrews uni golf team so i have good memories from that day. It was fun; sunny and 30 mph wind from the south east in pants and t shirt.

Right now this flying direct to Scotland and quarantine hotels is weird. From the USA you cant fly direct to Scotland anyway right now so you fly to England and then just have to home quarantine with prior, day 2 and day 8 tests. How long this lasts who knows they seem to change the minds all the time. I and certainly not a fan of the Scottish First Minister - she seems to just be copying bits of all the reactions of other countries around the world(Not a fan of her at all). Until January the prior test then home quarantine with day 5 test to me seemed the fairest if they want to continue quarantine.

But lets change this to golf. It should be a good trip.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

3 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

Right now this flying direct to Scotland and quarantine hotels is weird. From the USA you cant fly direct to Scotland anyway right now so you fly to England and then just have to home quarantine with prior, day 2 and day 8 tests. How long this lasts who knows they seem to change the minds all the time

Is this that loophole I read about? I didn't really understand how someone could get around the rules. Is it that you need to hotel-stay if you go direct to Scotland? But you could just land in London and travel to Scotland instead and get lost in the shuffle? It sounds confusing that they wouldn't have the same rules across all of the UK, but I guess that's like saying the US should have the same rules state to state?

24 minutes ago, philsRHman said:

Is this that loophole I read about? I didn't really understand how someone could get around the rules. Is it that you need to hotel-stay if you go direct to Scotland? But you could just land in London and travel to Scotland instead and get lost in the shuffle? It sounds confusing that they wouldn't have the same rules across all of the UK, but I guess that's like saying the US should have the same rules state to state?

basically yes.

Fly Houston to Heathrow, fly Heathrow to Aberdeen, drive home and stay at my house for 10 days.

Fly New York to Edinburgh, go straight to quarantine hotel, pay 1750 pounds and be miserable for 10 days.

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

2 hours ago, El Gringo said:

In Scotland, I would rather play during October than March...for sure. 

October is my secret for Scotland. Not as crowded, golf is less expensive, and weather as good or better than other months.

• Like 1

I went up to the Highlands for 2 weeks last October and did a trip around Uist. I think there were no more than a couple of days that it rained, and the west coast tends to be wetter. Kids have holidays early October 8-17th, so if inclined organise to avoid those dates. I would definitely recommend October as you will have had the summer months for course maintenance and grass growth. Courses are usually in great condition.

• Like 1

In the next few hours you will find out the fate fro Scotland and lockdown, Englands one yesterday was promising. Sturgeon just seems to copy England but make it slightly stricter(except. schools) saying she is playing it safe. 

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

3 hours ago, jonnymc44 said:

I went up to the Highlands for 2 weeks last October and did a trip around Uist. I think there were no more than a couple of days that it rained, and the west coast tends to be wetter. Kids have holidays early October 8-17th, so if inclined organise to avoid those dates. I would definitely recommend October as you will have had the summer months for course maintenance and grass growth. Courses are usually in great condition.

Thats a bit more complicated - Scottish schools have different October(tattle picking) holidays; Aberdeen 2 weeks, Edinburgh 1 week. Private school vs Public school.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

35 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

Thats a bit more complicated - Scottish schools have different October(tattle picking) holidays; Aberdeen 2 weeks, Edinburgh 1 week. Private school vs Public school.

Aha, I see. I thought I'd clicked on a general government website, but turns out it was the Borders local government website.