What Driver Are You Playing and Why?

SIM because the flight and feel is spot on for me and it makes the ball go far. 

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 9° w/ Speeder 661x
Titleist 915fd 15° and 18° w/ Diamana WB80x
Taylomade '11 CB 4 and 5 irons w/ PX 6.5
TaylorMade '14 MB 6 thru PW w/ PX 6.5
Taylormade Tour Preferred 50° and 54° w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX4 58° w/ DG
Odyssey O works 1ws black; 33 inches
Taylormade TP5X

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TS3 with my old faithful shaft. I like the look of Titleist driver and haven't seen anything else I like looking down at behind the ball. I don't chase numbers, I chase scores. It's an unpopular opini

Tour Edge EXS 10.5* set +1* loft and neutral weights / stock MCA Tensei CK Blue 50 R-flex 54 gr. Torque 5.6 (need to change WITB)   Had tested this in 2019 / I found it in February 2020 at G

2016 M2 9.5 hot melted for a fade. HZDRUS Smoke Green PVD 6.0 tipped 1/2" and 1/2" shorter   As a few have already said, i play this "old" driver because of my ability to aim it. Something a

Posted Images

Wishon 519SHPR 45" Wishon Red S shaft. Nothing like it, smaller head, great smash factor and low spin, very penetrating trajectory.

Fitter
All Wishon, all the time:
519SHPR 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
919F/D, Red Shaft
EQ1-NX 4 wood Red S-FLex
929 Fwy 5, Red Shaft
595 #3 Driving Iron Red hybrid S Flex
575MMC 6-GW Wishon Smooth Steel - S (B bag)
EQ1-NX 4 hybrid, Black hybrid Shaft
5-SW EQ1-NX S300's (A bag))
PCF Micro Tour Platinum 58*
S2R #5 putter Single Bend Shaft
Mid-firm urethane balls - too many to list

I just bought a 9 degree Ping G410 LST with a stiff Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 at 44.75” because Hot Stix in Scottsdale told me to!

I had been playing a Cobra Fly-Z that got no roll out since my back spin was 3900-4000 rpm. The new driver has cut the backspin to 2200 rpm and I’ve gained about 25 yards, averaging 270 yards total. 

• Like 1

Rocking the R15 with the 6Q3 red tie in X-flex.

I bought it last year, I've discovered that 5-6 years later is when drivers kind of plateau into the $50-$75 range where I can get my hands on it. If I could afford something newer I might go for it but today the driver was a bomber and I can't really ask for much more. 

JBeam Bullet 10* with Ventus Black 6X. Its the best combination of length and accuracy I've found. Its as if the SIM and the G410 had a child.

Edited by nitram
More information

JBeam Bullet 10*                      Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                     Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-PW                  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60   MCI MMT-125TX 

Bettinardi DASS MiNOVAi Tour Prototype 

Cobra Speedzone Xtreme in White - Its the longest/straightest driver I have ever hit AND the White version with matte finish looks pretty cool

Winter Setup
Cobra SZ Xtreme 10* HZDRUS Smoke Yellow 60
Titleist 917F2 15.75* Diamana 70
Titleist 816H2 20*
Ping G15 Hybrid 17*
Ping G15 5-P Ping AWT
New Level M 49*
Callaway MD5 54*X DG115
Cleveland RTX4 60* DGS400
Ping

I have a 380cc from about 15 years ago that I have been using since I took up the game again about a year ago. I carry it around 265 - 270. I took out the x and put in a stiff 85 gram degree hybrid shaft. I don't know if I could get comfortable swinging anything bigger, and can't justify the cost only to find out I don't - one girl in college and 2 others in private school. I already tried to hit some midsize GI irons and it screwed up my suspect swing big time - I just can't tell what the head is doing on the backswing it confuses me. I just feel better with smaller clubs at this point because I suppose that's how I started out in the 90's. My only goal is to be a single digit hc and I think I can get there with what I have.

Edited by chipa

Macgregor M-38 9.5, Mondeo 5w, Heater F-35 4h, Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, Maltby LW, Bionik 105

Mizuno ST190 9.5 w/ Atmos Tour Spec Black 6S.  Played Callaway forever, tried this at a demo day and really liked the look.  Didn't gain or lose any distance over the Epic but I love the shaft and my misses aren't as bad as they were with the Epic SZ.  I can hit a little cut shot with the ST190 and not worry about missing it left.   

Moved from the 410 LST to a '17 M2 that a great member here sold me...  Paired it with an Aldila Rogue black 95 msi and after one round I am loving it.  Straightest driver I have played in a while and I have been really struggling... 410 may be on the chopping block.

Titleist TSi2 9* Tensei AV 65 Raw White

Titleist 917f2 16.5* Diamana S+ 70s

Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Titleist 718 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12F, SM7 58/8M

Ping Anser Milled 2 34"

On 9/28/2020 at 8:15 PM, RoyalMustang said:

Same here.  Hitting 5 or 10 balls on each at a fitting doesn't tell you much, unless you are pro-level repeatable with your swing.  Could be just a few good swings for most of us!   Buying/testing/selling isn't practical for those w/o cash to burn. How the heck do you know?  Everything is good: is it simply shaft selection? there must be 100 good shafts on the market: surely there aren't 100 different types of swings and swing speeds?  10 combos, maybe...

Does the existence of such a mess of drivers/shafts make people think they will find some holy grail?   for the rest of us, how do we just find something that works?  Example: I borrowed 2 drivers recently: a M5 Tour w/some sort of banana yellow X shaft, and a 917 D3 with a Diamana D+ limited 70g TX.  I hit 2 bomber drives with each.  I found trouble twice with each.  Neither trouble issue had anything to do with driver.  Of course, the 917 D3 is reputed to be "shorter" than the M5, yet the 2 drives I hit well with it, I destroyed.  Was it the head, shaft, length, or my swing?  Random chance? Luck?  

You're probably not going to like my answer, but here it goes. Buying new is folly, unless you have unlimited resources and time to test the hundreds of combinations. What I know works is to sift through the reviews of older drivers that really get a huge following, and test only those. The vast majority of them will be some of the best-in-class for a given year, and by comparing just those few, you'll very likely find a winner for you, and also put to bed ideas about finding anything better. Just my 2 cents...

Some examples would be:

'16 M2

'17 M1

M5

G400/Max

TS2/3

Epic Flash

The first 2 are a bit older, but of those bottom 4-6 options, you'll likely find something great that won't be much different than anything new, released today.

Edited by A.Princey
  • Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F, 60.10S

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

I play the 2015 Great Big Bertha with the stock Kuro Kage black shaft in it, I have experimented with just about every new release from Taylormade, Ping and Callaway since but I must have just stumbled upon my ideal head/shaft combo with the GBB. The combination of ball flight, length, accuracy are the best I have ever had personally(since becoming a senior golfer, now 63) If for some reason we are not on speaking terms from time to time I bring the M6 D-type out to show the GBB who is the boss!!

Edited by fred faldo
mis spelling

Been playing the SIM Driver 10.5 degree loft.  Has the stock Mitsubishi Diamana S Limited 60 shaft in it.  I lowered the degrees down 2 degrees to 8.5 and messed around with the draw bias.  I have played the TS2 and Ping G410 Plus before this driver, and for me this thing has been a real game changer.  I have added probably 15-20 yards of distance, and I am finding a ton more fairways.  I love the way it sits behind the ball, I honestly feel like I am going to stripe it every time.....Love, love, love it.....I had an M3 I replaced and I felt the same way about that driver.  It is my favorite club to hit in the bag right now.

Small update....

I've found my 44" experiment isn't working as I'd hoped.  Pulled the 43.5" TEE XCG7 Beta out of storage, have been hitting it very well.  Relative to my less than straight tee game, of course.  Distance has been pretty good, as well, no loss that I'm able to see.  Going to cut down the Fly-Z+ that extra half inch and toss it back in the bag, since it's been the leader this year, but it's nice to have a solid backup.

Will probably try something at 43" this upcoming weekend, based on my fitting a few years ago, where that appeared to be my optimal length for driver...

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

SIM at 45.25 inches, 10.5 turned down to 9.75. Weight toeside. Primarily use motore vc ts 7.3 but an atmos black 7x sees some time too. Completely eliminated left for me, old driver every other drive was left. Two rounds in with the SIM and Im 21/24 hitting fairways, incredible! Picked up 10 yards it seems too.

Currently Callaway Great Big Bertha from 2015. 9 degree head n/s setting with sliding weight almost all the way to the toe side (fade). Have the Diamana  'ahina 70 x5ct stiff flex. Cant beat the consistency of this driver. When my swing is on i am hitting fairways all day. Even when my swing is off I'm usually not that far off the fairway unless I put a real bad swing on it.  I had the opportunity to play the Epic Flash SZ when it first came out, and I liked it a lot. Was possibly slightly longer by a few yards on average but I am definitely more consistent withthe GBB. Plan to upgrade possibly in the upcoming year but we will see. 

Callaway Razr Fit 10.5° S+ Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff Flex
Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood TC 14° Diamana Kail'i 70 Stiff Flex
Adams D-hy 21° Aldila Tour Blue Stiff Flex
Callaway X-Utility Prototype iron 24° 6.0
Srixon i-506 irons 5-PW 6.0
Titleist SM5 F Grind 50°
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 58°
Wilson Staff 8883 Milled Putter

TS3... best combination of distance, feel, and forgiveness

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2019 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Like the OP, I am 70.  My driver of choice is Titleist TS2 9.5.  From the time I bought it was using a Project X HZRDUS Red 6.0 and thought distance was above average.  Not sure what made me buy Fujikura Ventus Red 5 (59g) “S”, Velocore, playing length 44.75".   Reason I have a lot of single malt, drunken hope.  Anyway, sure glad I pulled that trigger and didn't listen to naysayers that don't believe technology can make a difference.  Yep, they were NOT cheap, but worth the investment.

Why?  I am hitting the ball even further.   Velocore works so well, I bought Fujikura Ventus Red 7 (71g) “S”, Velocore for my 4wd, it's plays like 3wd.   Those two shafts, and going back to PX 5.5 in irons are keeping me competitive.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i110cw "S"
  • Titleist 620s - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5
  • SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX