What Driver Are You Playing and Why?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TS3 with my old faithful shaft. I like the look of Titleist driver and haven't seen anything else I like looking down at behind the ball. I don't chase numbers, I chase scores. It's an unpopular opini

Tour Edge EXS 10.5* set +1* loft and neutral weights / stock MCA Tensei CK Blue 50 R-flex 54 gr. Torque 5.6 (need to change WITB)   Had tested this in 2019 / I found it in February 2020 at G

2016 M2 9.5 hot melted for a fade. HZDRUS Smoke Green PVD 6.0 tipped 1/2" and 1/2" shorter   As a few have already said, i play this "old" driver because of my ability to aim it. Something a

Posted Images

Since 6/1, I have been playing the Mizuno ST180 with Diamana Kai'Li Ion 70 S @ 44.5". Why, cause all my other drivers are in storage. 😜

I must say I have gotten pretty efficient with it though. My SS is 105+/- and I've been getting 250+ carry on solid strikes. Easy to work both ways too.

BT

Mizuno ST180 10.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 70 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno JPX 850 3w 14.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 43"
Mizuno JPX 850 7w 19.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

17 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Like the OP, I am 70.  My driver of choice is Titleist TS2 9.5.  From the time I bought it was using a Project X HZRDUS Red 6.0 and thought distance was above average.  Not sure what made me buy Fujikura Ventus Red 5 (59g) “S”, Velocore, playing length 44.75".   Reason I have a lot of single malt, drunken hope.  Anyway, sure glad I pulled that trigger and didn't listen to naysayers that don't believe technology can make a difference.  Yep, they were NOT cheap, but worth the investment.

Why?  I am hitting the ball even further.   Velocore works so well, I bought Fujikura Ventus Red 7 (71g) “S”, Velocore for my 4wd, it's plays like 3wd.   Those two shafts, and going back to PX 5.5 in irons are keeping me competitive.

Interesting comment, reflecting how important the shaft is in the formula. I am looking to get a driver this off season, but don't want to select stock off the shelf, but get fitted. See where this takes me. 

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I just upgraded this year to a Titleist TS2, I had the 913 D2 in the bag for a long time before getting the TS2. For me, Titleist drivers just suit my eye and I find them very easy to hit. 

Driver: Titleist TS2 w/ Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65X

5 Wood: Callaway XR 16 w/ PX HZRDUS Black 85 6.5

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 w/ True Temper DG X100

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 w/ True Temper DG S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

3 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

Interesting comment, reflecting how important the shaft is in the formula. I am looking to get a driver this off season, but don't want to select stock off the shelf, but get fitted. See where this takes me. 

Yep, shaft is #1.  Don't worry as much about the head as what shaft you put in it and OA playing length.  Shaft profiles are not equal, though they can be the same weight and flex.  Big difference between Ventus Red S 59g and PX HZRDUS Red 6.0 stiff 59g.  In my hands, Ventus is 10-15yds longer.  Both are stiff and both have lower bend active tips = high trajectories. However, Ventus Red has a bit stiffer tip and doesn't feel as soft at impact.

I don't know your game but use caution with your choice in fitter.  Some of them tend to ask age then fit age, not skill or mechanics.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX
On 9/24/2020 at 8:01 PM, The Mad Bomber said:

TS3 with my old faithful shaft. I like the look of Titleist driver and haven't seen anything else I like looking down at behind the ball. I don't chase numbers, I chase scores. It's an unpopular opinion around here, but all these drivers are the same on the scorecard. Guys will go to unbelievable pains (and expense) to gain a few MPH in ball speed or a bit of spin reduction but I'll bet my life they shoot the same scores. It gets a little stupid, so I just play what I like the look/sound/feel of, knowing full well that as long as you're not playing something a decade old, it doesn't really make a difference. Playing off a +0.7, come at me.

I totally agree, I played a 905r and a 8.5 r580xd tp while my 400lst was getting warranty work done. My scores never changed, there was no more than a 5yrd distance gap between both and the 400lst. I play 90% of my rounds at the same place. Definitely not the ingredients, its the chef. Play what your comfy looking at and the stick that gives you a shot at the green. I stopped chasing 2mph and 300rpm of spin and it hasn't cost me shots at the end of the day. 

• Like 1

Using the Cobra Speedzone Pars & Stripes 9*.

#1 it is pretty. It's the best looking white colored driver head I have seen. The CNC face milling on this head is superb, no chance for any idiot marks (not that I do any) and the blue PVD finish is superb. I just hope it will last. Everything about what Cobra did with this club looks so good.

The headcover looks superb. Infact, too good to use so it stays in storage.

#2 It performs. To my surprise its as long as my Epic Flash Sub-Zero with the same Ventus Blue Velocore 6S shaft. I think its a little more forgiving than my EFSZ. The best drives have a softness at impact, it feels the ball is squished. Sound is not obnoxious loud either. Neither metallic or thinny but hit in the middle it's "squishy quiet"

I had to tinker with the P&S a bit and add some lead tape to the heel to encourage a more draw flight. I may tinker some more with a 12gm + 2gm combo with the heel sided lead tape. It's D2 right now. Prior to this with the 14gm + 2gm & lead tape, it was D3.  I know, whoopee-doo difference 😜

In the future, I am looking at the Ping G425. The P&S replaced a G410 LST so I am hoping the G425 will be better performing.  Cobra did a great job with Speedzone, its a solid driver

Edited by SwingBlues

Cobra Pars & Stripes Speedzone, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S Velocore, Club Conex Uni-Fit
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Cobra Speedzone irons 4 - PW Recoil ESX F4 shafts
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Snell MTB-X / Black, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Graves One Plane swing

SIM 9 with my trusty 125msi rogue silver. 

Why? Suits my eye. Performs. Adjustable heel/toe CoG. Doesn't go left unless i make a bad swing.

I'm a bit of TM fan. But this driver excited me when i saw early release pics. M5 was very good but ballspeed lacked. SIM doesn't. Played it all year with extra weight in front track. After learning that tour setups had a heavier back weight, i started tinkering. Now have std weight only in front track and 17g backweight with 2g lead tape too. 2 rounds and several range sessions and my misses are much less punished. May have taken a great driver and made it even better.

Been using an Adams Fast 12 10.5 Regular with Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue for maybe 8 years now.

I’ve flirted with Taylormade M1 2017, Nike Vapor Flex 440, Adams XTD, Callaway XR & XR16 and Ping K15 but no matter what I just keep coming back to the Fast 12, it just gives me the most consistent results and just works for my swing.