KHT Autoflex shaft

chocolate_rehab

I built one with SF5050X 46 inches, Callaway Epic sub zero, one wrap of tape and a standard 50g golf pride tour velvet grip. Club came it at D5.

I removed the back weight  and added two strips of lead tape to cover the hole (and a bit of cork for sound). Comes in about D 1/2 now. 

I have ordered some weights so I can play with the weighting a bit and I'll take it to the course tomorrow (provided no frost).

I'll let ya know how it goes.  🙂

1 hour ago, WhostherealSlimShady said:

I built one with SF5050X 46 inches, Callaway Epic sub zero, one wrap of tape and a standard 50g golf pride tour velvet grip. Club came it at D5.

I removed the back weight  and added two strips of lead tape to cover the hole (and a bit of cork for sound). Comes in about D 1/2 now. 

I have ordered some weights so I can play with the weighting a bit and I'll take it to the course tomorrow (provided no frost).

I'm playing the same setup, except I used a Tour Velvet +4 midsize grip and it game in around D1.5.   I also found moving the slider weight to the fade setting helpful.  I hope this helps.

• Like 1

I bought the 505xx because my driver is normally around 117-122 at standard length.

I have a few driver heads and I played with a few and started at the lighter swing weight. I struggled with face contact until I plugged my proto PXG head in and returned it to D3 by removing the single heavy weight and putting on a 5g lead stripe on it.

I did not cut it and it plays at 46.5”. If I swing normal, I’ll get to the mid 120s in club head and will carry 315. If I close up the stance a bit and give it more I’ve seen 184 ball speed and over 331 carry.

I’m playing Tuesday and trying out a two driver bag!

54A61688-B3B2-4428-8FF3-80A7A5742428.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhostherealSlimShady said:

Wasn’t there an issue on tour? I recall that you cannot take a weight out and leave the hole per the USGA rules.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

3 hours ago, -MG- said:

I bought the 505xx because my driver is normally around 117-122 at standard length.

I have a few driver heads and I played with a few and started at the lighter swing weight. I struggled with face contact until I plugged my proto PXG head in and returned it to D3 by removing the single heavy weight and putting on a 5g lead stripe on it.

I did not cut it and it plays at 46.5”. If I swing normal, I’ll get to the mid 120s in club head and will carry 315. If I close up the stance a bit and give it more I’ve seen 184 ball speed and over 331 carry.

I’m playing Tuesday and trying out a two driver bag!

54A61688-B3B2-4428-8FF3-80A7A5742428.jpeg

How does 22 degrees of loft produce a 13.6 launch with 2024 spin?  I'm not questioning the reading - I just don't understand (maybe I'm a bit slow today).  

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

7 hours ago, keepingsanitythrugolf said:

I'm in a golf community with about 40 golfers, and 10 of us ordered the Autoflex which arrived 2 weeks ago. I thought it would be important to share our experience with this shaft, and more importantly, point out not only good, but also the bad and the ugly. I'm not here to bash this shaft, as I do believe it works, but it's not for everyone. All of us has gotten at least 3 rounds of 18 holes.

Of the 10, three were 405, four 505, and three 505x.

Our handicaps range from 1 to 13

Lets start with the good:

3 guys gained distance, about 15-20 yards.

One using the 505x (10 hdcp, SS 110 mph)

and two using 505 (7 & 12 hdcp, SS 103 mph & SS 97 mph respectively)

They're having so much success with Autoflex. But it still took all 3 of them a while to get used to the feel.

The ok:

1 guy got same distance (using 405, 11 hdcp SS 83 mph). I will talk more about this later.

The bad and ugly:

Everyone else has lost distance. And I don't mean a bit, everyone lost 20 yards at the very LEAST.

So we have a mixed bag here, and unfortunately more on the disappointed side than satisfied.

Going back to the golfer that got same total distance, it was all carry. No roll out whatsoever. So he is satisfied with Autoflex because his carry is the same as total distance with his previous shaft. Now he's trying to figure out adjustments on how to get some roll on the shots. 

Except for the one guy that gained distance with 505x, the 9 of us all agree on a few things.

1. The ball goes very straight (all agree). Very little curve. No hooks or slices on bad swings, they were straight pulls or straight pushes.

2. The ball goes VERY HIGH. Everyone had to play loft at its lowest setting. And it was still very high.

3. The ball spins way too much. Most of the time, the ball was behind the pitchmark.

Now for my own personal experience, I happen to be in the ugly camp.

Some info first about myself.

My gamer is Titleist TS3 8.5* head, with Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x, 45" in length

Setting 10*, neutral

SS 115-117 mph

Surefit weight +6gr, swing weight D4

I got the 505x. 

When I first had autoflex installed, the length was 45.5. In order to achieve the recommended SW of D1-D2, i had to remove the +6gr surefit weight and go back to standard. Came out D2.

Disastrous results. Even on best struck shots, I was 30-40 yards behind where I normally hit my drives. Now you might be thinking I have the worst result out of the 10 guys, losing that much distance, but believe it or not, the 3rd guy who got the 505x has worst results than me.

Lower ball speed was very visible to the naked eye. Had to go 7.75* on the head, still very high.

Decided to trim it to 45", put the 6gr weight back in. Im thinking lets minimize the variables.

Added lead tape right below the grip and it came out D1.5

autoflex.jpg.0cef07ec8990ab6aba12e1b6c7112e66.jpg

With this setting, there were improvements. Instead of being 30-40 yards shorter, now it's about 15 yards shorter.

So after 3 rounds of golf, we discussed about why some are having lots of success, and some are having no success. Here's what we believe:

This shaft is suitable if you are a "swinger", not a "hitter". 

If you already have very high launch and high spin (above 2500 rpm), it's possible this shaft is not for you.

In my case, based on Trackman, I have a pretty level AoA, close to 0 degrees, ranging anywhere between +0.5 to -0.5. My spin with the driver is around 2500-2700. We will do some trackman late to see whats going on with the spin from autoflex.

None of us have given up on this shaft yet. We are trying to make some adjustments and changes in our swing to get this thing to work. But it also brings up another question. It's not whether this shaft is worth it, let's put the price aside. But should we adjust to this shaft, or should the shaft adjust to us?

Great write up and thanks for sharing. Your final question was what I was worried about. I didn't want to have a different swing for the driver vs my other clubs.

Well turned out I was one of the lucky ones. As I stated in post earlier this shaft is money for me. I have no idea what my numbers are but know where I am on the course now versus before. And it's definitely better in both distance and dispersion.

I still need to go get on a monitor somewhere to see what my numbers are and to see if I'm leaving anything on the table.

There is a Golf Galaxy near me. Does anyone know if the monitor they use is reliable?

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

9 hours ago, keepingsanitythrugolf said:

I'm in a golf community with about 40 golfers, and 10 of us ordered the Autoflex which arrived 2 weeks ago. I thought it would be important to share our experience with this shaft, and more importantly, point out not only good, but also the bad and the ugly. I'm not here to bash this shaft, as I do believe it works, but it's not for everyone. All of us has gotten at least 3 rounds of 18 holes.

They're having so much success with Autoflex. But it still took all 3 of them a while to get used to the feel.

The ok:

1 guy got same distance (using 405, 11 hdcp SS 83 mph). I will talk more about this later.

The bad and ugly:

Everyone else has lost distance. And I don't mean a bit, everyone lost 20 yards at the very LEAST.

So we have a mixed bag here, and unfortunately more on the disappointed side than satisfied.

Going back to the golfer that got same total distance, it was all carry. No roll out whatsoever. So he is satisfied with Autoflex because his carry is the same as total distance with his previous shaft. Now he's trying to figure out adjustments on how to get some roll on the shots. 

Except for the one guy that gained distance with 505x, the 9 of us all agree on a few things.

1. The ball goes very straight (all agree). Very little curve. No hooks or slices on bad swings, they were straight pulls or straight pushes.

2. The ball goes VERY HIGH. Everyone had to play loft at its lowest setting. And it was still very high.

3. The ball spins way too much. Most of the time, the ball was behind the pitchmark.

My gamer is Titleist TS3 8.5* head, with Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x, 45" in length

Setting 10*, neutral

SS 115-117 mph

I got the 505x. 

When I first had autoflex installed, the length was 45.5. In order to achieve the recommended SW of D1-D2, i had to remove the +6gr surefit weight and go back to standard. Came out D2.

Disastrous results. Even on best struck shots, I was 30-40 yards behind where I normally hit my drives. Now you might be thinking I have the worst result out of the 10 guys, losing that much distance, but believe it or not, the 3rd guy who got the 505x has worst results than me.

Lower ball speed was very visible to the naked eye. Had to go 7.75* on the head, still very high.

Decided to trim it to 45", put the 6gr weight back in. Im thinking lets minimize the variables.

With this setting, there were improvements. Instead of being 30-40 yards shorter, now it's about 15 yards shorter.

So after 3 rounds of golf, we discussed about why some are having lots of success, and some are having no success. Here's what we believe:

If you already have very high launch and high spin (above 2500 rpm), it's possible this shaft is not for you.

In my case, based on Trackman, I have a pretty level AoA, close to 0 degrees, ranging anywhere between +0.5 to -0.5. My spin with the driver is around 2500-2700. We will do some trackman late to see whats going on with the spin from autoflex.

None of us have given up on this shaft yet. We are trying to make some adjustments and changes in our swing to get this thing to work. But it also brings up another question. It's not whether this shaft is worth it, let's put the price aside. But should we adjust to this shaft, or should the shaft adjust to us?

Good info. But you must follow the directions ..46 inches D0.5 to  D1 and get as much weight as possible in the front of the driver to reduce spin.  Get on a monitor and come back and report 🙂 Cheers!

This is a great thread. 

Can someone speak to the why this flexible shaft is for driver and why we have been told that a stiffer shaft should result in less dispersion? If a flexible shaft works in driver why wouldn’t we use it in irons also. I have been under the impression that if you want to decrease dispersion than a stiffer shaft will help? Thoughts? 

• Like 1

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

Rick Shields just did a video.  Says it doesn’t work for him.  Now I think it’s because of the head weight but I wanted to share with everyone.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

35 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

This is a great thread. 

Can someone speak to the why this flexible shaft is for driver and why we have been told that a stiffer shaft should result in less dispersion? If a flexible shaft works in driver why wouldn’t we use it in irons also. I have been under the impression that if you want to decrease dispersion than a stiffer shaft will help? Thoughts? 

They do sell them in driver, fw, hybrid and irons.  I think it would cost you a house to put into irons.  The OEM has something they have patented that helps it square up at address.  On the shaft it’s actually funny as it says hidden Korean technology.  

• Like 1

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

10 hours ago, keepingsanitythrugolf said:

The ok:

The bad and ugly:

Setting 10*, neutral

SS 115-117 mph

I got the 505x. 

Very nice notes.  It sounds like you and I have had similar experiences with higher ball flight than we're used to, and zero roll out.  At first I thought it was high spin, however I notice you're in Indonesia (which I believe is wet and humid?) and I've been playing some wet tracks here in Northern California. 

From all of the numbers I've seen, this shaft doesn't seem to produce high spin (however many have been radar based which is often untrustworthy for spin).  If you can - see if there's any way to actually use the metal dots when you get on Trackman so we can measured spin.  😄

The other thing that pops out, is that you seem to have gone pretty far outside the manufacturers recommendations on length.  Whether this shaft is a carnival trick (meaning any soft, over-length shaft would produce similar results), or truly some hidden technology, it seems like length is a meaningful piece of the puzzle.  

Why did you choose to go so much shorter?  Was contact an issue?  Dispersion?

The last thing I'd note is that anyone who's spent time with the Flightscope optimizer has likely noticed that higher is better with the driver (within reason, spin parameters, etc).  Folks also realize that longer driver means faster ball speed (assuming similar strike).  From my experience, it seems like that's the real key here - and any hidden technology is focused on improving strike pattern.  Unfortunately, that formula also means this shaft is ill suited for soft fairways, which would explain the distance loss you're seeing in your group.

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

1 hour ago, jmorrow020 said:

He doesnt have a consistent enough swing to be doing the test, and wasnt fit at all for his driver head or this shaft, and quite frankly his video is a complete waste of time to watch. 

He also uses a very spinny driver head set up which is not advised. I'm sure the swingweight isn't perfect and I think he played it at the same length so won't get those benefits either.

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

I saw the Shiels video and I agree that you can't just take a random club and put the shaft in for amazing results.  I bet if he was using the same head and the shaft came from Auto Flex, the swing weight was all off.  I tried mine at first that way and the results weren't optimal.

I was tinkering with the shaft trying to optimize it and I found that the wrong setup was HORRIBLE with the shaft.  I noticed in my SIM driver it was launching a little high for me and I was hoping to get some more roll.  I switched out the adapter and put my PXG Proto driver head on that was 9 degrees.  I had more weight options as I have the weight kit to play around with.  My spin skyrocketed from 2400 to 3500 and the ball would just fall out of the sky.  My ball speed dropped as well (155 MPH to 145 MPH).  I quickly went back to the SIM.  I do wonder if maybe the mavrik sub zero triple diamond would be a good option.  Also waiting at this point for the SIM 2/Epic Speed LS options to try them.  You do see that the majority of the people with good results all have the same driver.  Haven't seen anyone with a Tsi driver or really many with a speedzone either who have Autoflex. Seems like Sim, Mavrik/Epic Flash, G410 tend to work best with it.

I have 8 rounds in the books on the course now.  I have Arccos so I'm able to track my data.  Here is where things were (I swing about 100-105MPH and a 6/7 handicap):

SIM with Hzrdus Smoke green - 

247 - 262 yrds (AVG 250 yards)

21.8% left Fairway

50.7% Fairway

27.7% right Fairway

As you can see I hate having a 2 way miss which makes me lose golf balls off the tee.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sim with Auto Flex

252 - 269 (AVG 258 yards)

17.2% left Fairway

60.6% Fairway

22.2% right Fairway

Last round I hit 9 of 12 Fairways and the other 3 were fine on the right side (one way miss).  In 8 rounds I have only lost one ball off the tee which is crazy for mee.  Typically it's at least one a round.

Obviously 8 rounds is a smaller sample size than my old gamer that had close to 90.  But I think more people need to talk about the dispersion than the distance.  Yes I like the extra 5-10 yards (8 so far), but I'll take an extra fairway or 2 each round and a one way miss so now I can aim down the left side of the fairway confidently.

• Like 2

Rick has 56k views in 4 hours.  His goal isn't to provide great information - it's to generate as much revenue as possible, and he's got an amazing formula.  That said, he isn't usually biased - but I'd agree with all the comments - he's just a bit ill informed and lazy on this one (the TXG guys are going to try to do a fit with them according to this mornings Live where they discussed Ricks vid).

@jdorfman - I'm playing the Triple Diamond currently, and it's not a true low spin head.  It's a classic case of "the grass is always greener" as I've considered getting a SIM to test out.  That said, I may just go to an XX given that I play soft conditions year round.

Looking forward to @My2Dogs getting his single diamond head and hopefully getting some numbers with that and his 3D (and maybe a standard SZ?). 😄.  Very curious about the spin differences (though I expect it's probably 300 rpms between top and bottom.

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

The TD is a fade biased so it does spin more.  Also why I wanted the Single Diamond.  Lowest spinning of all the Mavrik’s and more towards a draw biased so that will automatically lower the flight.

issue is now I’m trying to play a no spin fade. 😂

anyway my single is stuck at Fed Ex and says exception with no delivery date.  So I figure around Easter I’ll be able to give a review.  🤣

I am hitting some really long fade bombs though with the Sim.  It’s at 194g and the heavier weight up front as I swapped the back to a lighter weight.  Hit 3 over 300 on very wet, cold conditions.  Places I would normally be when it’s dry and warm and roll.  Mud on every shot.  So if I only gain carry that’s good enough for me as that’s controllable where roll is not.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

I swapped to a PXG 0811XF 9* head as I have no trouble with launch and would actually like to bring mine down a touch.

After futzing with (taking out) some of the head weights, I'm at D1/D1.5 and going to give it a whirl tomorrow and report back. I was pretty happy with my first go round with the 10.5* head but I did have some HIGH shots, so we'll see what the ballfight looks like with the 9*.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

15 minutes ago, My2Dogs said:

The TD is a fade biased so it does spin more.  Also why I wanted the Single Diamond.  Lowest spinning of all the Mavrik’s and more towards a draw biased so that will automatically lower the flight.

issue is now I’m trying to play a no spin fade. 😂

anyway my single is stuck at Fed Ex and says exception with no delivery date.  So I figure around Easter I’ll be able to give a review.  🤣

I am hitting some really long fade bombs though with the Sim.  It’s at 194g and the heavier weight up front as I swapped the back to a lighter weight.  Hit 3 over 300 on very wet, cold conditions.  Places I would normally be when it’s dry and warm and roll.  Mud on every shot.  So if I only gain carry that’s good enough for me as that’s controllable where roll is not.  

I could wrong here, but when I think about draw vs fade bias in a driver, I think primarily about COG location, then about lie angle, then about how it sits at address.  As KB noted his recent video where he was teaching a buddy to hit cuts and draws, a cut goes the same distance as a draw when struck correctly.  The issue is that most people hit cuts by holding off the release, rather than fully releasing with the proper face to path conditions.  DJ actually said something similar to EAL - though he did it in typical DJ "use most concise, most vague wording possible" fashion when he said "even if you're hitting a fade, you still need to release the club"

When you get your single diamond - it would be awesome to see some pics of the two next to each other, and the relative shapes / lie angles.

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

7 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

I could wrong here, but when I think about draw vs fade bias in a driver, I think primarily about COG location, then about lie angle, then about how it sits at address.  As KB noted his recent video where he was teaching a buddy to hit cuts and draws, a cut goes the same distance as a draw when struck correctly.  The issue is that most people hit cuts by holding off the release, rather than fully releasing with the proper face to path conditions.  DJ actually said something similar to EAL - though he did it in typical DJ "use most concise, most vague wording possible" fashion when he said "even if you're hitting a fade, you still need to release the club"

When you get your single diamond - it would be awesome to see some pics of the two next to each other, and the relative shapes / lie angles.

I’m trying to release it and have it farther up in my stance.  Just hard to get out of old habits.  

don’t have the TD (sold it on the BST) anymore though but can post pics of the regular Mavrik I have with it.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

2 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

I’m trying to release it and have it farther up in my stance.  Just hard to get out of old habits.  

don’t have the TD (sold it on the BST) anymore though but can post pics of the regular Mavrik I have with it.  

Also that’s where I started to try and hit the no cut spin after watching his video.  That’s why I was pleasantly surprised of the 300 carry with the fade.  Usually played a baby draw before trying the cut and before my cuts were always very spiny and didn’t go far. 

Edited by My2Dogs

PXG Hybrid stand bag

I am not convinced by this shaft. Personally I think it is a high priced gimmick. I welcome being wrong though. I just do not see it just yet. 

• Like 4

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

6 hours ago, WhostherealSlimShady said:

Good info. But you must follow the directions ..46 inches D0.5 to  D1 and get as much weight as possible in the front of the driver to reduce spin.  Get on a monitor and come back and report 🙂 Cheers!

The instruction we got directly from them via email never said that the shaft must be played at 46".

Here is what they emailed us when we placed our order:

The Auto Flex Driver shaft is produced at 45".
So, it will be about 46.25"~47" with the head depends on the heads.
You are more than welcome to use as is, but if necessary you may cut the Butt end ( not the tip ) for your comfortable length.
We recommend the club swing balance of D1~D1.5 for the best result.

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

6 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Very nice notes.  It sounds like you and I have had similar experiences with higher ball flight than we're used to, and zero roll out.  At first I thought it was high spin, however I notice you're in Indonesia (which I believe is wet and humid?) and I've been playing some wet tracks here in Northern California. 

From all of the numbers I've seen, this shaft doesn't seem to produce high spin (however many have been radar based which is often untrustworthy for spin).  If you can - see if there's any way to actually use the metal dots when you get on Trackman so we can measured spin.  😄

The other thing that pops out, is that you seem to have gone pretty far outside the manufacturers recommendations on length.  Whether this shaft is a carnival trick (meaning any soft, over-length shaft would produce similar results), or truly some hidden technology, it seems like length is a meaningful piece of the puzzle.  

Why did you choose to go so much shorter?  Was contact an issue?  Dispersion?

The last thing I'd note is that anyone who's spent time with the Flightscope optimizer has likely noticed that higher is better with the driver (within reason, spin parameters, etc).  Folks also realize that longer driver means faster ball speed (assuming similar strike).  From my experience, it seems like that's the real key here - and any hidden technology is focused on improving strike pattern.  Unfortunately, that formula also means this shaft is ill suited for soft fairways, which would explain the distance loss you're seeing in your group.

Yes its rainy season here, so the fairways are very soft right now. But even on sunny days with dry fairways, the ball is backspinning. I will get on trackman to see what the spin numbers are later. So far it's only a hypothesis. What's interesting is normally if there's too much backspin, it creates a ballooning ball flight. No one has a ballooning ball flight..just very high. 

In my first post, the person I mentioned using 405 with swing speed of 83 mph, the problem with him in the past is he doesnt get enough spin and height to achieve maximum distance. His autoflex 405 now is with Titleist TSi 3, 9* head set to lowest setting (8.25*) And now his ball is also behind the pitchmark, which never happens to him.

Answering your question to why I went shorter. It was neither contact or dispersion.

I've always played my driver 44.75 -45. So I guess I wasn't going shorter, just going to my "comfortable length".

When I started out at 45.5, I had to remove the +6gr surefit weight, back to standard to achieve the recommended swing weight. In my past fittings, I have never done well with heads below 200 grams. Just couldnt get smash factor, therefore getting lower ball speeds.

By going 45, what I really wanted to do was reduce as many variables as possible, in order to make a comparison between 2 shafts. So I thought lets make these things constant:

+6gr weight back into the head, so total headweight is the same

swing weight is the same

45" length

So now it's pretty much the shaft thats the variable.

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

tl;dr - this shaft is truly high launch, low spin, however you can take the launch down once you get used to the kick.  It feels a bit different, and it took me a few reps to get used to it and keep it down.

=======

So I'm now officially sold on this shaft after range session #1.5 and #2 (plus one full round).

Range session 1.5 is what I'm calling my warm up on GC Quad at The Golf Mart today, before I headed out to the range.  The balls were Bridgestone e12 Speed - so not premium, but not quite range balls.

The short version is that it launched at 12.3 @ 2319 rpm and 13.3 @ 1946 rpm for me over two 30 ball cold warm up sessions.  Average ball speed was only 161 - but that's purely on me as it takes me a bit to warm up.

Once I hit the range, I got into a good rhythm, and started trying to flight my shots more - and the shaft responded really well.  When I tried to lower the trajectory, I was able to hit piercing, low spin 5 yard cuts.  Alternately I was still able to hit the super high draw as well.

I also hit two 150 yard left smother hooks (I'm not exaggerating - it was the biggest hook I've ever hit in my life - and it happened twice) - as well as losing a couple right pretty badly.  That said, in all cases, I was trying to exaggerate the shape - so it's likely on me again.

Finally - I confirmed that the ball speed on the PRGR launch monitor is exceptionally good.  It read most shots within 1 - 3 miles per hour (1.8% variance @ 3mph) of GC Quad.  There were one or two balls that reached 4 mph off - but that was the max.  Really, really impressive.

• Like 1

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

9 hours ago, jdorfman said:

I was tinkering with the shaft trying to optimize it and I found that the wrong setup was HORRIBLE with the shaft.  I noticed in my SIM driver it was launching a little high for me and I was hoping to get some more roll.  I switched out the adapter and put my PXG Proto driver head on that was 9 degrees.  I had more weight options as I have the weight kit to play around with.  My spin skyrocketed from 2400 to 3500 and the ball would just fall out of the sky.  My ball speed dropped as well (155 MPH to 145 MPH).  I quickly went back to the SIM.  I do wonder if maybe the mavrik sub zero triple diamond would be a good option.  Also waiting at this point for the SIM 2/Epic Speed LS options to try them.  You do see that the majority of the people with good results all have the same driver.  Haven't seen anyone with a Tsi driver or really many with a speedzone either who have Autoflex. Seems like Sim, Mavrik/Epic Flash, G410 tend to work best with it.

Before the 10 shafts arrived, we did have the same thought as you, would this shaft be better with certain heads than others.

So far we find the head to not really have much factor in the result. It seems like it just comes down to the individual's swing.

The good thing about having 10 of us order the shaft is not only that we got 405, 505, 505x, but we have 4 pairs of the same heads. And those were:

2 of 

Titleist TS3

Callaway Epic Flash

Cobra SZ

TaylorMade Sim

1 Titleist TSi3

1 Ping 410 LST

Out of the 10 of us, the guy who got the most gains is the one using 505x on the Sim. But guess who got worst result (most loss in distance)...the other guy using Sim and 505x.

They both have SS at 110mph. But they have very different swings.

This was the same for all the pairs. So in my case (using TS3), I lost distance. The other guy using TS3, gained 15 yards. Same thing happened for the SZ and the epic flash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

17 hours ago, WhostherealSlimShady said:

Ball is Bridgestone BXS

Trackman indoor

15 swings each

10* Fuji                    7.75* Autoflex

Swing               117.3 +- 1.2               113 +- 1.9

Ball speed        173.6 +- 2.7              162.8 +- 4.5

Spin                  2441 +- 395             3560 +- 429

Carry                292 +- 11.2               273 +- 13.1

AoA                   0.1 +- 1.5                  0.7 +- 0.2

Launch             11.4 +- 1.3                 15.8 +-1.9

Land angle       38.9  +- 2.9              48.4 +- 4.6

Height              102 feet +- 8.2         147 feet +- 16

Smash              1.48 +- .02                  1.44 +- 0.3

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

11 hours ago, MysteryV said:

tl;dr - this shaft is truly high launch, low spin, however you can take the launch down once you get used to the kick.  It feels a bit different, and it took me a few reps to get used to it and keep it down.

=======

So I'm now officially sold on this shaft after range session #1.5 and #2 (plus one full round).

Range session 1.5 is what I'm calling my warm up on GC Quad at The Golf Mart today, before I headed out to the range.  The balls were Bridgestone e12 Speed - so not premium, but not quite range balls.

The short version is that it launched at 12.3 @ 2319 rpm and 13.3 @ 1946 rpm for me over two 30 ball cold warm up sessions.  Average ball speed was only 161 - but that's purely on me as it takes me a bit to warm up.

Once I hit the range, I got into a good rhythm, and started trying to flight my shots more - and the shaft responded really well.  When I tried to lower the trajectory, I was able to hit piercing, low spin 5 yard cuts.  Alternately I was still able to hit the super high draw as well.

I also hit two 150 yard left smother hooks (I'm not exaggerating - it was the biggest hook I've ever hit in my life - and it happened twice) - as well as losing a couple right pretty badly.  That said, in all cases, I was trying to exaggerate the shape - so it's likely on me again.

Finally - I confirmed that the ball speed on the PRGR launch monitor is exceptionally good.  It read most shots within 1 - 3 miles per hour (1.8% variance @ 3mph) of GC Quad.  There were one or two balls that reached 4 mph off - but that was the max.  Really, really impressive.

You’re saying you’re hitting the worst misses of your life but it’s the shaft ? May be something to consider about “ the straightest shaft ever or the other stuff people are saying .”