2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

KHT Autoflex shaft

chocolate_rehab

25 minutes ago, mmendo said:

Fairway shaft is only $625, save a bit of money.

🙂

Yeah but it’s also 3 or 3.5 inches shorter.  

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Had my 3rd round with the Autoflex today and think I may have to move up to the XX.  I love the feel, LOVE the look, and love the performance when I'm hitting it well, but with the courses in my area being as wet as they are, I need to bring the launch down a bit.

That said, I'm also more comfortable working this shaft both ways than I've ever been with another shaft - so a bit torn.  The height also comes in handy - particularly at Harding where going high over can be helpful.

Anyone who's been lurking hoping for a good deal on a minty 505X - uncut with an OEM Callaway tip - there may be one on BST in the near future...

SIM2 Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

8 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Had my 3rd round with the Autoflex today and think I may have to move up to the XX.  I love the feel, LOVE the look, and love the performance when I'm hitting it well, but with the courses in my area being as wet as they are, I need to bring the launch down a bit.

That said, I'm also more comfortable working this shaft both ways than I've ever been with another shaft - so a bit torn.  The height also comes in handy - particularly at Harding where going high over can be helpful.

Anyone who's been lurking hoping for a good deal on a minty 505X - uncut with an OEM Callaway tip - there may be one on BST in the near future...

Is it just launch angle you are having issue with?

In my case I think it's a combination of peak height, steeper landing angle, backspin.

I'm also thinking I might have to move up to 505xx, just emailed the autoflex rep for his opinion.

But I'm not sure if that will lower peak by 45 feet, reduce my spin by 1000 rpm, either.

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

Just now, keepingsanitythrugolf said:

Is it just launch angle you are having issue with?

In my case I think it's a combination of peak height, steeper landing angle, backspin.

I'm also thinking I might have to move up to 505xx, just emailed the autoflex rep for his opinion.

But I'm not sure if that will lower peak by 45 feet, reduce my spin by 1000 rpm, either.

I thought I was spinning it too much - but after some time on GC Quad - that wasn't the case.  Strictly speaking, it wasn't really launch angle either as the angle itself looked good.  It's more just peak height and angle of descent on muddy, soft fairways.

Idk - I'm a bit torn as I love the shaft - BUT - the courses I play are perpetually soft - and I need to flatten out the trajectory a bit.

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

23 hours ago, abernsmd said:

About to pull the trigger on an autoflex 505 for a Ping g410 head and go down this rabbit hole. Swing speed roughly 105 mph. The hard part will be getting the swing weight to D1-D2 and playing the shaft at full length. Spoke with an autoflex rep who seemed to indicate adjusting the head weight is far more important than counterbalancing and adding weight to the grip end. 

The question I am pondering is if removing the 16g weight in the back of the 410 head would ultimately change the performance of the head itself.🤔 If I could free up that weight and maybe replace it with a 2-4g weight they sell on ebay and then maybe minimally counter balance or minimally shorten the shaft I could get close to D1-D2.

Has anybody with a g410 head had success with this thing? If so how did you address the swing weight conundrum?

The Autoflex guy is correct.  The shaft reacts to headweight and shaft length.  Weight in the grip end has no effect on how the shaft reacts except if said weight changes swing parameters-speed, aoa etc.

1 hour ago, MysteryV said:

I thought I was spinning it too much - but after some time on GC Quad - that wasn't the case.  Strictly speaking, it wasn't really launch angle either as the angle itself looked good.  It's more just peak height and angle of descent on muddy, soft fairways.

Idk - I'm a bit torn as I love the shaft - BUT - the courses I play are perpetually soft - and I need to flatten out the trajectory a bit.

To me, it seems when the fairways are muddy and wet, you want to maximize carry. Not going to run anyhow regardless if you bring your height down. In fact, probably want to keep it in the air longer 

• Like 2

It’s essentially impossible for a shaft to reduce spin by 1000 unless it dramatically changed your contact and you go from low on face to centered or centered to above cog 

if backspin is fine then high launch is never going to result in less distance, if anything you want to launch it as high as possible if you can do so while keeping spin low 

They (IMO as a decent amateur clubmaker) want the certain swingweight because they want the certain head weight to make the shaft work properly.  And it must be fairly sensitive in that respect. They surely don't want you counterweighting to hit a swingweight.   If you want to counterweight for other reasons, you should get the swingweight (head weight) right first.  That would be the safe bet.

Just my best read of the imperfect info available. 

Edited by Snowman9000
  • Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

So im really interested in this shaft. I'm debating and trying to research whether or not I should go 505x or 505xx. 

Right now I'm swinging around 115. Mid summer I can get up to about 120, but that's not really my everyday speed. 

Anyone in my general range have a recommendation on x vs. xx?

Ive spoken with a few people and one says xx is for those who are 120+ every time and another says he's around 110 and he feels the xx suited him better.

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

1 hour ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

So im really interested in this shaft. I'm debating and trying to research whether or not I should go 505x or 505xx. 

Right now I'm swinging around 115. Mid summer I can get up to about 120, but that's not really my everyday speed. 

Ive spoken with a few people and one says xx is for those who are 120+ every time and another says he's around 110 and he feels the xx suited him better.

I think it depends on your normal tempo, launch (high or low) and transition.  Also what head your currently playing.  

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

I recently got my hands on a 505x auto flex.  I am normally a 105-113ss player, usually pretty low spin.  I built it at 46.5" paired with a Golf Pride MCC+4 standard size grip on my Mavrik sub zero.  With the standard weights (14g,2g), it weighed in at D5, which was easy to tell way too head heavy for the shaft.  I bought a weight kit and put a 6g weight up front and 2g in the back and set it at 8 degrees.  Swing weight is D1-D2. I've seen my swing speeds get up to around 115 average and sometimes peaking up over 120mph.  Ball speeds with range balls went from 158-162 to 164-168.  I was even able to get 170+ with range balls which I never have before especially in winter.  Shaft is the real deal, still able to launch it low and low spin.  Dispersion is crazy good as well, took about 5-10 swings to "trust" that the shaft will stay with you.  Put it in play for one round over the weekend and was very pleased with the results. 

Even when you hit what looks high and spinny, it knuckles like crazy for an epic knuckle moon ball that goes forever.  been using MEVO on the range to confirm numbers.

Best aspect, is I can reach what was my maxed out numbers with my old Ventus Black 7X with a smooth easy swing.  Really saves my back.

MEVO results average:

Ventus 7X Mavrik SZ 9* vs. Auto Flex 505X 46.5" 8*

+4.8 Ball Speed

+3 MPH Swing Speed

+10.7yds Carry

-100rpm Spin

Averages over about 30 shots with each

Edited by JBake

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9*, AutoFlex 505X 46.5" 
Titleist TSi3 15 - GD Tour AD-DI 7X
Titleist 818 H2 19 - GD Tour AD-DI 105X

Mizuno HMB - Modus 120X 4 Iron
Mizuno 921 Tour - Modus 120X 5-9

Vokey SM8 Raw 46, 50, 54, 60 DG Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron FTUO X5R 
Titleist ProV1

18 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Are you using Mavrik sub zero?  I put mine to 8 degree, 6 weight up front, 2 g out back and was able to get my old penetrating traj back.  I was concerned about this too.  Mess with swing weight, tee height, and club weights.

Scotty Cameron FTUO X5R 
Titleist ProV1

2 minutes ago, JBake said:

Are you using Mavrik sub zero?  I put mine to 8 degree, 6 weight up front, 2 g out back and was able to get my old penetrating traj back.  I was concerned about this too.  Mess with swing weight, tee height, and club weights.

Mav SZ Triple Diamond - exact same setup!  Set at 8 degrees, 6 in front, 2 in rear.  The thing is an absolute beast.  I've found myself in places I've never been on courses before - even in cold, wet conditions.

That said, I've measured the spin on a GC Quad - and spin is not the issue.  The issue for my swing and conditions is lang angle.  I'm literally spinning it back on 280 carry at sea level in 48 degree weather in the fairway with 2300 rpm spin.  Rightly or wrongly, I want to lower my lang angle while keeping an amazing shaft where I can find the center of the face consistently at 47".  😄 

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

8 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Mav SZ Triple Diamond - exact same setup!  Set at 8 degrees, 6 in front, 2 in rear.  The thing is an absolute beast.  I've found myself in places I've never been on courses before - even in cold, wet conditions.

That said, I've measured the spin on a GC Quad - and spin is not the issue.  The issue for my swing and conditions is lang angle.  I'm literally spinning it back on 280 carry at sea level in 48 degree weather in the fairway with 2300 rpm spin.  Rightly or wrongly, I want to lower my lang angle while keeping an amazing shaft where I can find the center of the face consistently at 47".  😄 

I've found I don't have to tee it up as high and try to hit "up" on it like I did with my Ventus 7X...something worth trying!

I saw the same thing on my numbers, ones I saw climb like they would be super spinny, were not.  For me it's more of a tempo issue.

Edited by JBake
  • Like 1

Scotty Cameron FTUO X5R 
Titleist ProV1

56 minutes ago, kerila07 said:

Is there any reason to believe that this shaft may be deemed non conforming by the USGA?  

I don’t think so.  I believe a few LPGA and Korean players on the KLPGA play it currently. 

PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 1/3/2021 at 5:18 PM, My2Dogs said:

Forgot to say, that Single Diamond is easy to hit and really forgiving compared to the Triple Diamond.  It’s a match made in heaven paired with the AutoFlex! 🔥🔥🔥🔥

What weights are you playing? Weight location? Length, swingweight? Thanks!

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with VA Composites Nemesys 65s untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s tipped 1/2”

Ping G430 4 hybrid with Fujikura Ventus Blue Hybrid 10x untipped

Ping i530 5-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 50.5s, 55s, 59.5h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

1 minute ago, poppman2142 said:

What weights are you playing? Weight location? Length, swingweight? Thanks!

The Single Diamond is still a SZ.  I’ve got a 2g in the back and a 12g in the front. Plays right at 194g total weight before adapter. 

playing length is 46inches and I’m at a D2. 

Edited by My2Dogs
  • Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

2 hours ago, kerila07 said:

Is there any reason to believe that this shaft may be deemed non conforming by the USGA?  

Is there such a thing as a non-conforming shaft (beyond length)?  I've never heard of one - but would be curious for sure!

Edited by MysteryV

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

3 hours ago, JBake said:

I've found I don't have to tee it up as high and try to hit "up" on it like I did with my Ventus 7X...something worth trying!

I saw the same thing on my numbers, ones I saw climb like they would be super spinny, were not.  For me it's more of a tempo issue.

you said you have autoflex assembled at 46.5”. Do you normally play this length?

And I agree that one’s tempo is the biggest factor in this shaft working for you or not.

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

7 hours ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

Try xx. At the time we purchased, we were not aware of an xx, so if I were to do this all over again i’d go xx. 
I still believe at the end of the day, those with relatively smooth tempo and slower backswing/takeaway will do better with this shaft, regardless of your speed category. 

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

1 hour ago, MysteryV said:

Is there such a thing as a non-conforming shaft (beyond length)?  I've never heard of one - but would be curious for sure!

We all would.  😂

PXG Hybrid stand bag

53 minutes ago, keepingsanitythrugolf said:

Try xx. At the time we purchased, we were not aware of an xx, so if I were to do this all over again i’d go xx. 
I still believe at the end of the day, those with relatively smooth tempo and slower backswing/takeaway will do better with this shaft, regardless of your speed category. 

I think it’s just the takeaway and letting the shaft load.  I watched a Kyle Berkshire video and he talked about slowing the takeaway so the shaft will load at the top to get more speed.  He said people think it’s the opposite that you have to rush the shaft back but it actually hurts your speed.  So I tried it.  

I have a very aggressive transition.  That was why I went with a Ventus Black 6X and when really loose a 7X.  I was rushing it back and then really trying to go after it, even with my moderate swing speed of 108-112 at times.  Once I slowed the takeaway to the top, I can go after it with everything I have and this shaft takes it and it’s straight to a slight draw for me.  Or I can play a high no spin cut or a lower no spin cut. I can play it lower by a simple set up change but I like the longer carry.  So I think it’s about a smooth tempo back, letting it load up and then swing away (if that’s your natural tendency).  If you don’t let it load, I dont think it won’t perform to its best.  

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

8 hours ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

I’d go up in flex if you are between.

54 minutes ago, My2Dogs said:

I think it’s just the takeaway and letting the shaft load.  I watched a Kyle Berkshire video and he talked about slowing the takeaway so the shaft will load at the top to get more speed.  He said people think it’s the opposite that you have to rush the shaft back but it actually hurts your speed.  So I tried it.  

I have a very aggressive transition.  That was why I went with a Ventus Black 6X and when really loose a 7X.  I was rushing it back and then really trying to go after it, even with my moderate swing speed of 108-112 at times.  Once I slowed the takeaway to the top, I can go after it with everything I have and this shaft takes it and it’s straight to a slight draw for me.  Or I can play a high no spin cut or a lower no spin cut. I can play it lower by a simple set up change but I like the longer carry.  So I think it’s about a smooth tempo back, letting it load up and then swing away (if that’s your natural tendency).  If you don’t let it load, I dont think it won’t perform to its best.  

So if you were to pop your ventus black 6x in right now, would you need to go back to your previous swing to get the most out of it?

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

1 hour ago, keepingsanitythrugolf said:

So if you were to pop your ventus black 6x in right now, would you need to go back to your previous swing to get the most out of it?

I hit both side by side in 2 Mavriks.  Had no issues going back and forth.  The AF has helped me get a better tempo but when I hit both on course it wasn’t difficult.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

19 hours ago, keepingsanitythrugolf said:

you said you have autoflex assembled at 46.5”. Do you normally play this length?

And I agree that one’s tempo is the biggest factor in this shaft working for you or not.

I normally played my Mavrik SZ with Ventus 7X at 45.75"...wanted to try it out at 46.5" before I cut more.  Is giving me no problems so far.

Scotty Cameron FTUO X5R 
Titleist ProV1

Here are some numbers from testing last night...I never touched 170mph with my Ventus 7X or 6X, at least not with a swing that I could even think of taking to the course.

IMG_4359.jpeg.de704a33432cab4e5accbbb9e83115d7.jpeg

IMG_4356.jpeg

Edited by JBake

Scotty Cameron FTUO X5R 
Titleist ProV1

50 minutes ago, JBake said:

I normally played my Mavrik SZ with Ventus 7X at 45.75"...wanted to try it out at 46.5" before I cut more.  Is giving me no problems so far.

Did your see swing speed increase by going 46.5?

The reason why I asked is because I noticed a few have been playing this shaft longer than what they normally would. In our case, we all trimmed to the length we normally play at because we didn't want this to be an expensive version of the Cobra Long Tom that came out about 10 years ago.

When cobra came out with the Long Tom, the concept was a long and super light build.

It was 48", 50 gram shaft, total weight of 269 grams. And it actually worked. Reviews at the time showed up to 20 yards in increased distance, due to the faster swing speeds because of the length and lightweight combo.

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide