KHT Autoflex shaft

First full session with a launch monitor today. Worked on my transition got it to a great place then I started going after the ball a bit more. Once I groves the transition I was hitting long and straight without issue.

I was not near max swing speed with irons/warming up today, average at best. With driver I hit max ss 103 vs 102.1, max ball speed 152.3 vs 150.6 and longest carry 257.3 vs 252.6. All personal bests all on the first real day pushing the thing.

Noticed that my dispersion was actually really good no matter how aggressive my downswing was, which really suggests to me it’s all about the transition.

I did notice that my launch angle is still rather erratic and I can produce much higher spin than I’d like at times. I may crank the clubhead down to 8 at some point, but not sure yet.

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed -  Autoflex SF505

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Titelist U510  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

5-4: Mizuno MP20 HMB  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

PW-6: Mizuno MP20  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

Wedges: SM8 60,56,52  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

Putter: Evnroll ER2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm in a golf community with about 40 golfers, and 10 of us ordered the Autoflex which arrived 2 weeks ago. I thought it would be important to share our experience with this shaft, and more importantl

It means that I'm on ebay right now looking for a reasonable deal on some used ladies flex shafts to compare.  

They have stated many times (and now have a notice that is displayed in the middle of their videos) that they use Matt because he can eliminate many of the variables that lesser golfers introduce into

Posted Images

1 hour ago, stealthall said:

Can we discuss the AF for fairway woods here? If not I am glad to start an AF Fairway thread....

If so, can some folks chime in on their experience with FWs? Shaft adjustments, etc?

I didn’t want to say it on the other post but I have it in my 3 wood.  Works very well.  I have it playing at 43” and didn’t have to do anything as it came in at a D1.5 with that length.  But as we stated swing weight may not be the end all so take that fwiw.  For me the fairway wood comes out flatter but still good numbers and it’s longer than the Ventus Blue.  Couldn’t compare it vs the Ventus red as that is a glued hosel in a different 3 wood so it wouldn’t be exactly the same. It’s the same as the driver, smoother take away but then I can either be smooth or go after it on the downswing.  OEM does recommend tipping 1/2 inch for fairway woods.  Recently got a Sim2 3 wood as it’s a smaller profile but it seems heavier so I have to weigh both to see if there is a difference.  Unfortunately it’s been raining here for a few days so hoping this weekend I can test both heads on the driving range and my Mevo.

Mavrik  8.8* Single Diamond - AutoFlex SF505XX shaft 

TM Sim2 Rocket- AutoFlex SF505X
Callaway Super Hybrid- Ventus Black 9TX or depending on course and conditions 
3i Honma MMT 105TX
4i PXG Gen2 Utility Iron MMT 105TX
5-PW PXG Gen3 MMT 105TX (5 and 6 Players, 7-PW MMT 105TX)
Bettinardi HLX 3.0. 52*,56*
Vokey SM8 60* LW
Callaway Exo 7S Stability Tour Shaft, 35inch

TXG Autoflex 3 wood testing, hold on to your wallet.

TM Sim 10.5, VA Rajjin 64S
Titleist 16.5 TS2, GD AD TP 6S
Callaway Mavrik 5 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Mavrik 3 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Epic Forge, Steelfiber 90S
Miura Tour Wedge 54, Steelfiber 115cw S
TM MG2 58, KBS.

Scotty Cameron Big Sur Long Putter.

Snell MTB X.

15 minutes ago, My2Dogs said:

I didn’t want to say it on the other post but I have it in my 3 wood.  Works very well.  I have it playing at 43” and didn’t have to do anything as it came in at a D1.5 with that length.  But as we stated swing weight may not be the end all so take that fwiw.  For me the fairway wood comes out flatter but still good numbers and it’s longer than the Ventus Blue.  Couldn’t compare it vs the Ventus red as that is a glued hosel in a different 3 wood so it wouldn’t be exactly the same. It’s the same as the driver, smoother take away but then I can either be smooth or go after it on the downswing.  OEM does recommend tipping 1/2 inch for fairway woods.  Recently got a Sim2 3 wood as it’s a smaller profile but it seems heavier so I have to weigh both to see if there is a difference.  Unfortunately it’s been raining here for a few days so hoping this weekend I can test both heads on the driving range and my Mevo.

thanks!

that is fantastic info. I am currently playing the Ventus Blue 7x (Velo) in my Sim 5w turned down to 4w. Since this project started with the AF for the driver it has been getting worse in my 4w. Previously I loved hitting it and it was my go to if the driver was off that day. 

I really like the fact that you need to be smooth with the take away with the AF as that is my #1 issue in the past is getting to fast. 

I am really considering getting the AF for the fw to keep the driver and fw under the same tempo process. 

do you think it’s a no brained that if I play 7x in ventus that I should by aligned to the 505xx...I do like to be more aggressive with the 4 wood?

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

TSi2 4W - Ventus Blue Velo 7X

TM Sim2 Max 7wd - Tour AD DI 7X

PING G425 Hybrid 26* Proforce V2 F9

PXG Gen 2 5i-7i - PX LZ 6.0

PXG Gen 3 8i-PW PX LZ 6.0

PXG Milled Wedges 50, 54, 58 - PX LZ 6.0

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

5 minutes ago, shaolingolfer said:

TXG Autoflex 3 wood testing, hold on to your wallet.

I watched that again this morning!

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

14 minutes ago, stealthall said:

thanks!

that is fantastic info. I am currently playing the Ventus Blue 7x (Velo) in my Sim 5w turned down to 4w. Since this project started with the AF for the driver it has been getting worse in my 4w. Previously I loved hitting it and it was my go to if the driver was off that day. 

I really like the fact that you need to be smooth with the take away with the AF as that is my #1 issue in the past is getting to fast. 

I am really considering getting the AF for the fw to keep the driver and fw under the same tempo process. 

do you think it’s a no brained that if I play 7x in ventus that I should by aligned to the 505xx...I do like to be more aggressive with the 4 wood?

Difficult to say as I don’t have the 505XX in the 3 wood.  As I stated I have the 505X currently in driver and moving to the 505XX but at the time I only got the 505X in both the driver and 3 wood.  I do say that it does make me smooth out my swing more on the 3 wood and so I’m making better contact.  When I try and really go after it I’m not as accurate but that’s on all clubs.  So even if the 505XX works on the driver I may stick with the 505X in the 3 wood as it works.

ah who am I kidding, I’ll prob get one to test later.  LOL. But it does work well in the 3 wood. 

Mavrik  8.8* Single Diamond - AutoFlex SF505XX shaft 

TM Sim2 Rocket- AutoFlex SF505X
Callaway Super Hybrid- Ventus Black 9TX or depending on course and conditions 
3i Honma MMT 105TX
4i PXG Gen2 Utility Iron MMT 105TX
5-PW PXG Gen3 MMT 105TX (5 and 6 Players, 7-PW MMT 105TX)
Bettinardi HLX 3.0. 52*,56*
Vokey SM8 60* LW
Callaway Exo 7S Stability Tour Shaft, 35inch

Just a follow up: I've played several rounds (4?) with the AF and it is definitely delivering as promised. I have definitely picked up significant distance. It is also a more accurate club for me than my previous gamer. My golfing buddies are asking about it. I don't see this leaving my bag anytime soon, and am seriously considering this for my 3w.

5 minutes ago, DLiver said:

... I don't see this leaving my bag anytime soon, ...

Geez man you know this is the kiss of death. It'll be gone by the end of the month now that you said it out loud😉🤣

• Haha 2

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

12 hours ago, Bad9 said:

Geez man you know this is the kiss of death. It'll be gone by the end of the month now that you said it out loud😉🤣

🤣 Yeah you're probably right. I am pretty happy right now because I was basically able to buy 15-20 yards off the tee, and I'm not even swinging particularly well right now. In the past, I have made a few equipment missteps buying into online hype, but in this case almost all the benefits of this club have been proven to me. And I can swing it as hard as I want 😁

• Like 1

Have the urge to tinker.  Scared to death of breaking up my current setup and falling down the rabbit hole of pulling and changing adapters multiple times (plus acquiring different heads to test).

Fearful I will never find my way back.  Now, I know why my2dogs has like 3 shafts!!!!  You almost need one fixed setup you don't touch and one tinker shaft.  Grrrrr.

I still go on my belief that you either get lucky with fit quickly or you end up tinkering to find the right fit/combo and make it work. 

Most of the reviews that are not positive are based on price and/or sticking in a club, hitting and not getting the data they expected. It makes sense. We have seen on this thread, great reviews, continued testing reviews and those that gave up. TXG after a couple tests and cycles were very clear that you need to dial it in.

Also, I guess if you are a 300+ yard hitter and the AF gets 5 more yards, I could see people saying what’s the point. 

For me the AF shaft has increase my carry BIG TIME and this allowed me to have total average distance around 280yds. All other shaft (because I hit down) I have to angle back, make sure I focus on hitting up on the ball, etc, etc too much to focus on. The AF is half the thoughts with much improved accuracy and distance.

• Like 2

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

4 hours ago, stealthall said:

I still go on my belief that you either get lucky with fit quickly or you end up tinkering to find the right fit/combo and make it work. 

Most of the reviews that are not positive are based on price and/or sticking in a club, hitting and not getting the data they expected. It makes sense. We have seen on this thread, great reviews, continued testing reviews and those that gave up. TXG after a couple tests and cycles were very clear that you need to dial it in.

Also, I guess if you are a 300+ yard hitter and the AF gets 5 more yards, I could see people saying what’s the point. 

For me the AF shaft has increase my carry BIG TIME and this allowed me to have total average distance around 280yds. All other shaft (because I hit down) I have to angle back, make sure I focus on hitting up on the ball, etc, etc too much to focus on. The AF is half the thoughts with much improved accuracy and distance.

Not just that, but some swing types will never match up well with a long, light, low head weight set up required for this shaft to perform. If you're fit to a certain club MOI, that becomes harder and harder to build at extreme lengths and the club itself can become unplayable if the head weight is too light. I've maintained that it isn't a bad product, but it isn't for everyone. 

4 hours ago, ThorntonMelon said:

The golfshaftreview doesn't explain the success many are having at high swing speeds.

Would love to see txg do that comparison with Matty at that speed. 

There was a member here that was trying to replicate some of the comparisons to the 505x that I posted awhile back. I believe his thread was "Autoflex at a 95% discount." Might be worth reaching out to him and seeing if anything came of it.

12 hours ago, jgard320 said:

Russ Ryden has posted an EI Profile of the 505xx on his site golfshaftreviews.info. Most similar to the Bassara GG 53 stiff according to his numbers. 

Russ' review is gold 😂

"I will never believe that a wet noodle like this would fit any of these golfers. XX = LOL"

Cobra RAD XB 9* - AD TP 6TX/ Cobra SZ Big Tour 13.5* - Tour AD TP 8X / Callaway Apex Hybrid or Titleist U510 20* - Tour AD IZ 95X

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4,5 / MP20 6-P - Project X 6.5 / Vokey SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.08M - Project X 6.0

TM TP Juno or Spider Tour Black / Bridgestone BX

Why are people saying Ping heads won’t work well with auto flex? I just weighed my g425 max and it was at 200g with the back weight weighing in at 26g. I can easily switch the back weight to get to the recommended weight. 

What am I missing?

After seeing my buddy catching up to me with a simple shaft change, I am a believer lol. 

PS: I got this head from Japan so maybe it’s lighter than American version? 🤔

Edited by llaw999
6 hours ago, llaw999 said:

Why are people saying Ping heads won’t work well with auto flex? I just weighed my g425 max and it was at 200g with the back weight weighing in at 26g. I can easily switch the back weight to get to the recommended weight. 

What am I missing?

After seeing my buddy catching up to me with a simple shaft change, I am a believer lol. 

can’t speak for others but...

In my case I bought 2 ping g425 Max 9* drivers (tried 2 separate times & a ton of different weights) and what I felt was by reducing the back weight and head weight the club just didn’t feel right. As well, as I lowered weight the sound got louder and louder which bothered me. 

So, I don’t think it’s a case of slamming the Ping I believe it’s more of a comfort thing. In a previous post I said one of the criteria I believe is that you have to feel comfortable with the head overall. 

I REALLY wanted the Ping to work but I couldn’t get past a couple things. I ended up with the TM Sim 2 Max as it just fell into spec quicker and the sound I love. 

• Like 1

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

So maiden voyage today. Indoors on a trackman. I should note that for some reason trackman never gives me numbers that I get outdoors nor that I do on GCQ (always shorter, Im assuming it's a measurement thing).

I'm a legit average Joe, skeptical but will spend whatever on golf. On Trackman it has me swinging 93. 

I want to note that the weight I ordered to bring the head (TSI2) down to 192 isn't in yet so I am playing the head at 198 right now. 

My gamer is a Cobra SZ extreme 10.5 with a ventus shaft. I don't have another shaft yet for the TSI2 (bought the head and the other shaft I have for it is at the shop right now). So I know this is a hair apples and oranges but I can tell you that when I was fit for the TSI2 at club champion my gamer wasn't much shorter than the TSI2, I just wanted to change it up.

10 yards. All Carry, rollout was the same. And it was straighter. It feels both strange and wonderful at contact, like it is going to be there at contact. Very straight. A little bit of a left bias but thats so hard for me to tell on a machine when I could be aiming wrong. 

The weird thing was it was all ball speed. Club was maybe 1 MPH faster, and not always. Ball was about 4 MPH. Not sure where that was coming from. 

Anyways, if it translates to real golf, totally worth it. I felt like I could really accelerate through the ball and it wasn't going to fly a million miles off line, but we will know more after real golf.

After one day, recommend. And I'd be glad to say otherwise if it wasn't. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, llaw999 said:

What am I missing?

I have been VERY vocal that my setup with my Ping G400 max is awesome for me.  I removed the back weight altogether. 

On 3/11/2021 at 9:43 PM, cw1209 said:

Russ' review is gold 😂

"I will never believe that a wet noodle like this would fit any of these golfers. XX = LOL"

I tested it...briefly, and my impressions of it are pretty much identical to what Russ found. This thing is a complete scam. If you buy one of these, you're paying through the nose for what amounts to Po the Panda's Secret Ingredient Soup. Remember what the secret ingredient was? NOTHING!

Feels Oh No GIF by DreamWorks Animation

When people ask me about AutoFlex, my response is pretty much this:

"Never has a shaft that costs so much felt so cheap. Why would you pay someone $800 for a shaft and then have them tell you to change your perfectly functional golf swing to make that $800 shaft remotely usable? You pay the shaft company to engineer a product that gets out of the way and lets you play your best golf with the swing you have, not the other way around. If you want to experiment with that concept, here's a RCH 45 A flex shaft from our Bertha 21 driver and if you love it you can pick one up for at least $700 dollars less than that pink Korean Snake Oil garbage."

Edited by bcflyguy1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

2 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

I tested it...briefly, and my impressions of it are pretty much identical to what Russ found. This thing is a complete scam. If you buy one of these, you're paying through the nose for what amounts to Po the Panda's Secret Ingredient Soup. Remember what the secret ingredient was? NOTHING!

"Never has a shaft that costs so much felt so cheap. Why would you pay someone $800 for a shaft and then have them tell you to change your perfectly functional golf swing to make that $800 shaft remotely usable? You pay the shaft company to engineer a product that gets out of the way and lets you play your best golf with the swing you have, not the other way around. If you want to experiment with that concept, here's a RCH 45 A flex shaft from our Bertha 21 driver and if you love it you can pick one up for at least $700 dollars less than that pink Korean Snake Oil garbage."

So the KHT was inside my heart the whole time? All I needed was the confidence to unlock it!!! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

To each his own I guess, but calling it a scam is kind of nuts. Sure you can argue it's not worth 800$, but it's not some magic, they clearly found a way to produce a really light and really flexible shaft that stabilizes and doesn't go offline.

Can an average golfer swing a lighter shaft faster, yes. Can a shaft produce higher club head speed with extra load, yes. Do old school super soft/super light shafts work well for fast swingers, generally no.

Sure, you need the right weight, sure it may not fit all golfers the same, and I don't think this shaft needs/can fit everyone. For those who swing faster with heavier shafts or like the head weight a certain way it just won't work, doesn't mean it's a scam.

I've hit plenty of 800$ shafts, I practice in a place that's a fitter, and I've tried a ton just for fun. LA Golf, TourAD, etc... I've never seen distances/club speed paired with accuracy like this. Not a scam, I just bought a new driver/shaft that I loved and paid a lot for (Tour AD VR) after an extensive fitting maybe 3 weeks back, and this thing blew it out of the water. It took 20 minutes for me to beat what I was fit into for over an hour. I did not really want to replace a great feeling shaft I had just bought at 3x the price, I did because I could and it performed like nothing else.

It's not a scam, it might not be right for you, it might not be worth making swing changes to accommodate, but come on...

Edited by dodgyman
  • Like 4

I concur with @dodgyman. At first I was sceptical and found the marketing material hilarious (hidden Korean tech) but my buddy got the 404 and I’m thinking there might be something to it. 

He was neck and neck with me when he was 15+ yards behind me last week! That is undeniable. I gave it a swing even though it’s not my recommendation speed and I found it oddly stable for how incredibly whippy it was when waggling. Spin was definitely 1000+ rpm higher (eyeball) but the ball had almost no curvature. It was the oddest feeling. 

I pretty much ordered it after the round 🤣. Also got an Aldila Golf NVS NXT 45 to compare. Very interesting in this experiment. 

Also I think you need to test it with a ~190g head for the best result so you should not be simply plugging in your own head to test.

In anticipation of the arrival of my AF shaft, I lowered my g425 max head to 187g with a swing weight of c7 with my ventus red 7x. I was actually hitting it really good! It’s kinda fun thinking outside the box after being in it for over a decade lol.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Well thanks for your opinion after testing it briefly. I've been playing this shaft for several rounds and a bunch of range time, and honestly I expected it to be mostly hype. However I was quite surprised to find that it delivered in both CHS and ball speed. I swing this club exactly the way I swing all my other clubs, and all my driver setups: full bore. I can move it both ways, but the tendency is to hit it straight. Crappy swings produce crappy results.

I have tried very light driver shafts before, including the highly regarded Prolaunch Blue 44 g shaft, and couldn't keep any of them on the planet. My golfing buddies have noticed the results I'm having, and five of them asked to try my driver this morning on the range before our round.

So yeah, I think I'm disagreeing with your diatribe against this shaft after you tested it briefly. It is expensive for sure, but for me it has really delivered.

Edited by DLiver
  • Like 3

Just finished my second round with the autoflex in. 54% accuracy (avg this year is 48% including this round) and distance P. average, (I don't know ShotScope's algorithm but it's a better average that removes outliers) was 247.58 yards vs 232.9. It was particularly sunny today, no roll but more distance to be gained. Regardless, the things is essentially doing what it does on trackman, ~10 yards longer and as straight if not straighter.

My experiment is over, I'm committed and this thing is staying in the bag.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PT1911 said:

So what is the consensus on swing speed vs shaft flex? Are their charts holding true?

What are most guys in the 110 range going with, X or XX?

I’m at 100 and was debating 505 vs x. Could have been fit to the X but softer and lighter is better. At 110 X should work really well.

If your experience is anything like mine, upping the stiffness removes some of what makes the shaft do what it does, so lighter/less stiff is better. There are some folks who hit 120+ and were fit to XX I hear, but at 110 I would strongly recommend the X.

I’ve got 6 rounds in with the AF and absolutely love it. Incredibly consistent and my driving distances have increased big time. I’ve hit several drives 270+ which were incredibly rare with me before I found this sweet sweet Korean Hidden Technology. 

I played a track just outside of Raleigh called Pine Hollow today. A course that I’ve played 20+ times and I was on parts of the course off the tee that I’ve never seen before. Hit 5 tee shots 275+ today and capped it off on 18 with a 305 yarder. 

The thing I love the best about the shaft is my mishits don’t kill me. I’ve got a one-way miss that typically stems from me getting quick and it’s more of a power fade. My mishit distances feel like they go 20+ yards farther than my mishits from my old gamer. 

I’m pairing with the Radspeed at 8* draw setting and just started playing the ProV1x left dash. It’s been a killer combo for me.  

I’ll get some swings in on a trackman tomorrow to see how it comps vs my old gamer (Cobra Speedzone with UST Helium shaft). But regardless my new setup has passed the eye test with flying colors.

I’m playing it at D2 weight btw. Tempted to order some additional weights but don’t want to mess with the good thing I have going now. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dodgyman said:

I’m at 100 and was debating 505 vs x. Could have been fit to the X but softer and lighter is better. At 110 X should work really well.

If your experience is anything like mine, upping the stiffness removes some of what makes the shaft do what it does, so lighter/less stiff is better. There are some folks who hit 120+ and were fit to XX I hear, but at 110 I would strongly recommend the X.

What is the launch like with the AF? Higher I would assume?

SIM2 Ventus Black 7X
Titleist TSi2 15* Ventus Red

Titleist TSi2 18* Ventus Red

TM P770 4-PW Steelfiber
JAWS MD5 50*, 54*, 58*
Evnroll ER11v ML