2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

KHT Autoflex shaft

chocolate_rehab

i've got an order in for a 505x. i decided to pair it with a mavrik max. my current gamer is the g410 plus so i wanted something lighter and still forgiving. i got the mavrik with the 60g riptide shaft. compared to the ping, i swing the callaway slightly faster but ball speed is around the same with lower smash, which i figure is due to the lower weight. i'm hoping that the autoflex will allow me to swing even faster so that even with the lower smash, my ball speed will improve past what i can get from the ping. here is some info that i found when researching head weights. I'm guessing the manufacturer's head weights include adapter weight.

Callaway spec Mavrik Max - 200g. my head without adapter weighs 192g.

Ping spec for G410 Plus - 206g. my head without adapter weighs 202g.

PXG spec for 0811XF Gen 2 - 206g. my head without adapter weighs 200g.

Cobra spec for SZ xtreme - 203g.

Cobra spec for Rad Speed XB 10.5* - 205g, 12* - 203g.

Edited by inorkuo

I am playing 46" 505 with Sim 9 degree turn down 1 notch now, start with 10.5 turn down 2 notch.  I have 5-6 rounds in with both heads and numerous driving range sessions.  Other than difference heads, I also played with different swing weight, D0 and D2, the difference is 4 gram of weight at the front track.  The difference is night and day for me, D0 is so much more consistent.  At D2, it just seems like the head was always behind the swing.  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

Just put my Ping tip on AF 505XX. I don’t have a ton of back weights on hand for G425LST so I will have to experiment with lead tape. 

Length I’m still scratching my head on 46” or 45.5” finished playing length. My gamer is 44.5”. 

Will report back to you guys. 

TITLEIST TSR3 Ventus Black 6-X
TITLEIST TSi2 16.5* Ventus Black 8-X
TITLEIST U-505 3i Ventus Black 9-X
TITLEIST CP-03 4i Project X 6.5

TITLEIST CP-02 PW-5i Project X 6.5
Vokey SM9 50/54/58 Project X Wedge 6.5
SIK Flo 

My SF505XX is finally on its way.  Supposed to be here Friday but I won’t hold my breath with shipping these days.  However really happy it’s on its way and I can test it vs my SF505X. 

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 3/16/2021 at 3:15 PM, inorkuo said:

i've got an order in for a 505x. i decided to pair it with a mavrik max. my current gamer is the g410 plus so i wanted something lighter and still forgiving. i got the mavrik with the 60g riptide shaft. compared to the ping, i swing the callaway slightly faster but ball speed is around the same with lower smash, which i figure is due to the lower weight. i'm hoping that the autoflex will allow me to swing even faster so that even with the lower smash, my ball speed will improve past what i can get from the ping. here is some info that i found when researching head weights. I'm guessing the manufacturer's head weights include adapter weight.

Callaway spec Mavrik Max - 200g. my head without adapter weighs 192g.

Ping spec for G410 Plus - 206g. my head without adapter weighs 202g.

PXG spec for 0811XF Gen 2 - 206g. my head without adapter weighs 200g.

Cobra spec for SZ xtreme - 203g.

Cobra spec for Rad Speed XB 10.5* - 205g, 12* - 203g.

I dont know your club speed or your smash factor, but your thinking is flawed.
If you as example has a club speed of 105 and a smash at 1.43, you will most likely be better off slowing down to 100 and get the same ball speed and improved dispersion, vs try to gain another 5 mph club speed if PTR value drops, because that mean you will spray it all over the place
READ the numbers for PTR like whats needed to maintain the same ball speed when club speed goes up. Only if we can keep PTR or way better, IMPROVE IT, we will see a benefit on the scorecard.

2 scenarios for a 105 MPH player with a smash factor of 1.43

image.png.97a4d22da6e73cf93d390507507253dc.png

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 2

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:02 AM, SEP1006 said:

That was such a great post and pretty much spot on. Main point being if it was a $100 shaft no one would be putting the effort in to "MAKE IT WORK".

Luckily for me it worked right from the first swing. Was it worth $700+? In the grand scheme of things probably not, but WTH. I don't want to die with a big bank account. And after all it is golf and what I love with a passion.

It definitely has lowered my scores by maybe 2 strokes a round, mainly due to dispersion. But when I do everything right I am definitely 10-12 yards longer as well.

So to sum it up for me it was a WIN!!

I would pay A HE** OF A LOT MORE than $700 to drop 2 strokes per round almost immediately!

Edited by osubuckeyes691
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

5 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

I dont know your club speed or your smash factor, but your thinking is flawed.
If you as example has a club speed of 105 and a smash at 1.43, you will most likely be better off slowing down to 100 and get the same ball speed and improved dispersion, vs try to gain another 5 mph club speed if PTR value drops, because that mean you will spray it all over the place
READ the numbers for PTR like whats needed to maintain the same ball speed when club speed goes up. Only if we can keep PTR or way better, IMPROVE IT, we will see a benefit on the scorecard.

2 scenarios for a 105 MPH player with a smash factor of 1.43

image.png.97a4d22da6e73cf93d390507507253dc.png

i was just making the observation that the lighter callaway seems have a lower smash factor vs the heavier ping on center strikes which makes sense bc it is a lighter head. my ball speed maxes out at 164 measured on gc2. my club head speed measured by hmt maxes out at 115. i've never been on trackman but i know club head speed would be lower since they measure differently. these numbers are from my gamer which is the ping g410 plus with a graphite design ad di 6s 65g shaft. i'm very hopeful that the mavrik max paired with the autoflex 505x will give me good results.

Edited by inorkuo

505xx on the way!

Going to throw a Club Conex Unifit adapter on it and test with my TSI3 and 425 Max

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewill48 said:

Now that's brilliant.  Can you play with that connector permanently?

Yes sir. USGA legal as well if you choose to play tournament golf 

4 hours ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

I would pay A HE** OF A LOT MORE than $700 to drop 2 strokes per round almost immediately!

Yes Sir, this shaft has been a game changer for me. Never have I hit a driver as consistent as I do now!!!!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

5 hours ago, inorkuo said:

i was just making the observation that the lighter callaway seems have a lower smash factor vs the heavier ping on center strikes which makes sense bc it is a lighter head. my ball speed maxes out at 164 measured on gc2. my club head speed measured by hmt maxes out at 115. i've never been on trackman but i know club head speed would be lower since they measure differently. these numbers are from my gamer which is the ping g410 plus with a graphite design ad di 6s 65g shaft. i'm very hopeful that the mavrik max paired with the autoflex 505x will give me good results.

That's pretty decent smash for Foresight.

Has anyone else had difficulties transferring the indoor results to outdoors? I have been testing the shaft throughout the winter and seen decent gains with it so I decided to take it outside and test it and I was not impressed.  It’s almost as if I feel more pressure to hit long drives with it because of the price and having my friends thinking let’s see what this shaft can do.  It did not perform well for me and I’m leaning towards just using my normal shaft which I do not have to think about and worry about impressing people.  I typically play a slight fade with my normal shaft and I can count on taking the left side out of play, the autoflex was bringing the draw into the equation and making me second guess where it was going to end up.  Just wondering what others have experienced.  Luckily my local fitter has these in stock and is letting people test them before buying.

11 hours ago, kerila07 said:

Has anyone else had difficulties transferring the indoor results to outdoors? I have been testing the shaft throughout the winter and seen decent gains with it so I decided to take it outside and test it and I was not impressed.  It’s almost as if I feel more pressure to hit long drives with it because of the price and having my friends thinking let’s see what this shaft can do.  It did not perform well for me and I’m leaning towards just using my normal shaft which I do not have to think about and worry about impressing people.  I typically play a slight fade with my normal shaft and I can count on taking the left side out of play, the autoflex was bringing the draw into the equation and making me second guess where it was going to end up.  Just wondering what others have experienced.  Luckily my local fitter has these in stock and is letting people test them before buying.

Like I said, I think when you get quick with this driver it can kick all over the place. Indoors its just easier to keep tempo than when you've got a narrow fairway and bunkers and stuff. 

I think #1, needs a light head. #2, you need to figure out how much true additional on course distance you're getting for what I consider to be some increased risk of left to right instability. 

That's my project right now. Im comforted that there's a market to buy these if it doesn't work for me - but I do believe there's increased yardage if I dial it in. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kerila07 said:

2 pieces of advice. 

1) Get Reps on the range.  Indoor sims have no consequences.  Get on an outdoor range and pick a target at a certain distance shorter than your carry distance and try to hit directly over it.  Don't worry about the distance.  You are looking for comfort and repeatability.

2) Stop going back and forth between your old driver and new driver with autoflex.  The static weight (not swing weight but the actual weight of the club) is likely so different, that you will struggle to gain consistency switching back and forth.  Commit and hit a ton of drives on the range...you will learn the club and your tendencies with it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kerila07 said:

Agreed with posters above. It does transfer to the course, but mentally you do have to deal. The price tag is an issue, I felt a ton of pressure early, but it goes away, I just had my third round with it and I think less and less about those things.

I will say, for me it forces to swing the way I want to on all my swings, smoother tempo and better transition. If you don’t want to match and it feels get different it can be a i issue. It does have to feel good.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

So ive been following this thread for quite a while and see that the moneyspot seems to be a headweight of 188-192g to get to the D0-D1.5 swingweight. So that means you have to remove weight from most heads.  If you are changing the weight on say a G425 Max from the 26g weight to say an 11g weight, will that not effect the forgiveness of the head? Curious to see if it does decrease forgiveness, does it decrease it by more/less than what some users are saying they are gaining in decreased dispersion than their stock setups.

I'm getting great results with a 45.5" AF 505 shaft and the Cobra Radspeed with the 12G weight in the back and 2G weight up front. 

I haven't weighed the head + adapter so not sure what that comes out to. I'm almost nervous to by lighter weights because I've been in a great groove with the driver with several rounds under my belt with this setup. I believe I'm playing at D2.

47 minutes ago, solismr said:

So ive been following this thread for quite a while and see that the moneyspot seems to be a headweight of 188-192g to get to the D0-D1.5 swingweight. So that means you have to remove weight from most heads.  If you are changing the weight on say a G425 Max from the 26g weight to say an 11g weight, will that not effect the forgiveness of the head? Curious to see if it does decrease forgiveness, does it decrease it by more/less than what some users are saying they are gaining in decreased dispersion than their stock setups.

I don't notice any difference, but impossible to measure.  I have weight completely removed from back of my ping G400 max which is a ultra forgiving head....plus every swing is different.

Test it and let us know what you see.

1 hour ago, JMATHEEENS said:

I'm getting great results with a 45.5" AF 505 shaft and the Cobra Radspeed with the 12G weight in the back and 2G weight up front. 

I haven't weighed the head + adapter so not sure what that comes out to. I'm almost nervous to by lighter weights because I've been in a great groove with the driver with several rounds under my belt with this setup. I believe I'm playing at D2.

Very cool as I just got a RadSpeed and was thinking of putting it on the AF.  I even got a 6g weight in case I need to swap out the 12g.  Going to try and hit the RadSpeed this weekend if the weather clears with the Ventus Black 6X first to see baseline before I have to change adapters. 

• Like 1

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

10 minutes ago, DLiver said:

FWIW, IMO if you have to change your natural swing to make this shaft work, then it is not a good fit for you.

Eh, I don't know about that. A club that forces you to better your transition/tempo in order to strike it well is not only a club, it's a training tool. I see the benefits if a club changes your swing for the better.

(Full disclosure: I'm waiting on USPS to deliver mine and I can hardly sleep at night in hopes this stupid shaft gives me an extra 10yards magically. I'm delusional.)

Edited by kcsf

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

1 hour ago, My2Dogs said:

Very cool as I just got a RadSpeed and was thinking of putting it on the AF.  I even got a 6g weight in case I need to swap out the 12g.  Going to try and hit the RadSpeed this weekend if the weather clears with the Ventus Black 6X first to see baseline before I have to change adapters. 

Lmk if you end up weighing the clubhead.

I've got a lesson tomorrow so I'll be on the trackman finally. Will be interested to see some #s. It's passed my eye test through 7 rounds with flying colors. It took me a few rounds to get used to but I have been super consistent with the Radspeed AF combo. My dispersion has been great and I'm on parts of golf courses I play pretty frequently that I've never seen before off the tee.

8 minutes ago, kcsf said:

Eh, I don't know about that. A club that forces you to better your transition/tempo in order to strike it well is not only a club, it's a training tool. I see the benefits if a club changes your swing for the better.

(Full disclosure: I'm waiting on USPS to deliver mine and I can hardly sleep at night in hopes this stupid shaft gives me an extra 10yards magically. I'm delusional.)

You are not delusional. It delivered everything promised to me. But I still disagree about the training club thing. If you have a driver that "forces" you to make a better swing, what happens with the rest of your set? Do you reshaft everything so that all of them are "training clubs?" No one who has tried my driver (and there have been plenty) has had to do anything different with their swing. Pretty much everyone hits it and smiles. I don't know what the deal is with the AF, but it is definitely not hype.

• Like 2

Just got the 505X and went to the range for a quick bucket. 

swing speed is normally 105-110 and I’d say 505X flex is perfect although I haven’t tried the others. 

I was expecting whippy during the waggle test but was still blown away. Hit about 50 balls swinging pretty smooth and was past my regular driver and very straight. 

AF felt great right from the first swing. So much easier on the body than my X stiff normal shaft. Also just so much fun to hit. Completely different than anything I’ve ever hit in the past. Can’t wait to hit some bombs on the course this weekend 

BTW it is extremely pink 😂 Going to hear some chirps from the boys 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JMATHEEENS said:

Lmk if you end up weighing the clubhead.

I've got a lesson tomorrow so I'll be on the trackman finally. Will be interested to see some #s. It's passed my eye test through 7 rounds with flying colors. It took me a few rounds to get used to but I have been super consistent with the Radspeed AF combo. My dispersion has been great and I'm on parts of golf courses I play pretty frequently that I've never seen before off the tee.

Weighed the head and it comes in at 195 with the 12g and 2g weights.  That is without the adapter.  So if I do exchange the heavier weight I can get it down to 189 but I’m going to get some baseline numbers with the Ventus Black before I start to tinker and add the AF.

PXG Hybrid stand bag

1 hour ago, DLiver said:

You are not delusional. It delivered everything promised to me. But I still disagree about the training club thing. If you have a driver that "forces" you to make a better swing, what happens with the rest of your set? Do you reshaft everything so that all of them are "training clubs?" No one who has tried my driver (and there have been plenty) has had to do anything different with their swing. Pretty much everyone hits it and smiles. I don't know what the deal is with the AF, but it is definitely not hype.

This is only a personal opinion as I happen to be working on exactly that part of the swing (tempo) but I do buy into the training aid part of it. While I don't think any swing style can fit the AF, the inverse doesn't need to be true, meaning that things like iron shafts may work just as well with a strong or smooth transition.

If you went from something completely heavy/boardy to an AF then maybe... but for me I've noticed my AF moving to my other clubs and to benefit rather than detriment. I may re-shaft my 3w, but that's just because I have a left over driver shaft that my AF replaced that I still love, but it hasn't really changed how my irons/woods feel. 

I'd actually kill to swing all my clubs the same smooth way, but this is coming from someone that has always been too aggressive in transition and really looking to change that.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2