2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

KHT Autoflex shaft

chocolate_rehab

Package arrived today. Very good presentation by the company in putting it together. Comes in a nice velvet sleeve. Shaft is very light and felt almost brittle at first, and it is extremely flexible. Seems like it has the most give by the tip and the butt end seems relatively stable. Craftsmanship is very high end and the shaft looks great.

Dropped it off to my club builder and he’s going to check some cpm measurements to get an idea of how it bends. I should have some feedback by Saturday. 

So I took it to the range (toptracer), quite a windy day and Toptracer for me usually gives a bit of slower ball speed than in golf course. 

I have to admit that I don't have the highest speed in the world but early result for comparison purpose quite favors the Autoflex to the Ventus Blue Velocore shaft (cobra speedzone xtreme head). 

Average ball speed for Ventus Blue for me was around 134 while the Autoflex sf405 (for my swing speed of 95-98mph) averages 142 (around 8mph gain for ball speed) - check below pics for comparision

One thing I noticed was the tighter dispersion. If I hit fairway consistently of 240-250 on the golf course then I am set. 

C21D0FA1-DA6B-46A1-A1E4-C8EA1AC9A601.png

E5F81320-14CE-4688-9D49-8DC931C33DB8.png

Edited by NghiaSS
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NghiaSS said:

So I took it to the range (toptracer), quite a windy day and Toptracer for me usually gives a bit of slower ball speed than in golf course. 

I have to admit that I don't have the highest speed in the world but early result for comparison purpose quite favors the Autoflex to the Ventus Blue Velocore shaft (cobra speedzone xtreme head). 

Average ball speed for Ventus Blue for me was around 134 while the Autoflex sf405 (for my swing speed of 95-98mph) averages 142 (around 8mph gain for ball speed) - check below pics for comparision

One thing I noticed was the tighter dispersion. If I hit fairway consistently of 240-250 on the golf course then I am set. 

C21D0FA1-DA6B-46A1-A1E4-C8EA1AC9A601.png

E5F81320-14CE-4688-9D49-8DC931C33DB8.png

Interesting that your launch dropped since it seem opposite of what is happening elsewhere. Looks like you have one max ball speed that is 3 mph higher than the max ball speed for the Ventus. With your dispersion reportedly better, it looks like you’re seeing an increased consistency and better overall ball speed because of that. That seems to be consistent with what I’ve heard as well. Are the shafts the same length and did you do anything to the heads to offset the shaft weight change? It looks like you might have found something good here that could potentially be great with more tinkering. 

2 hours ago, jgard320 said:

Interesting that your launch dropped since it seem opposite of what is happening elsewhere. Looks like you have one max ball speed that is 3 mph higher than the max ball speed for the Ventus. With your dispersion reportedly better, it looks like you’re seeing an increased consistency and better overall ball speed because of that. That seems to be consistent with what I’ve heard as well. Are the shafts the same length and did you do anything to the heads to offset the shaft weight change? It looks like you might have found something good here that could potentially be great with more tinkering. 

I think the launch drop due to the fact that the feel of the shaft changes the way I swing a lil bit. Will have to try another day to get a better launch. Do you have any tip on consistent positive angle of attack? I still feel I hit down on the ball too much.

Also for max ball speed, I got around 150 for Autoflex, and it feels easier to achieve that. For Ventus, I get around 144 - 145 on very good swing (the pics were for the first 5 -6 shots only)

I put shaft at a slightly longer (total length 45.75; ventus was 45.25), weight at D1.

I didn't know what the club builder did, it just happen to be like that, lol

Edited by NghiaSS

My advice would be to not chase a specific angle of attack so long as your swing is fundamentally sound. If you aren’t getting ideal launch conditions, that’s where you can tinker with the head. If your head is adjustable, bump it up a degree or two, or if you have adjustable weight, move it around, add, or remove weight, and just fine tune until you find a sweet spot that idealizes your launch. It sounds like the shaft is having a positive impact on your ball speed and impact location, so fine tuning could make a good difference. 

• Like 1

Someone messaged me yesterday I believe (sorry it’s been crazy as I had kidney surgery Tuesday and i had complications).  Anyway took the shaft out with a Rogue SZ I had on Sunday before surgery for my last round of the year.  Only Cally head left I didn’t have hot melt added to for weight.  It fit into the SW they recommend.  I played both the Rogue SZ with AutoFlex and my custom Mavrik with Ventus Black 6X.

as I stated and others stated, when waggling it, it’s just not the norm and feels strange.  Also the weight is much lighter than I’m used to and switching back and forth with the Mavrik/Ventus combo took a few holes to get squared away. On a couple holes at first the Ventus was the clear winner.  My usual flight (little shorter due to the pain I was going to have surgery for) slight draw or straight.  AutoFlex I kept turning too quickly on.

once I got used to the weight difference the AutoFlex was longer and straighter.  Also launch was higher and all carry as the course was wet.  Ventus did give some roll due to a lower flight but the AutoFlex was longer.  When struck well, dead straight.  Almost scary straight, splitting the fairway.  The last few holes I was tiring out and hurting so I pulled the last 2 shots.  Not the shaft or heads fault but all me.  I have a regular Mavrik coming that matches the weight I need. Will be late Dec or early Jan before I can hit again as I have another surgery set for 2 weeks and then they go in early Dec to fix my right kidney.  

can’t wait to test it out with the Mavrik and if it doesn’t work, I’ll be looking to sell or try a Sim with the proper weight to get within the SW they recommend.  

I did try and go lighter and heavier with the Rogue SZ by changing out the weights but when it fell within their D1.5-D2.5 is when the shaft performed the best.  Heavier gets too squirrely and misses are both sides.  Lighter and I kept turning it over too much.   

Edited by My2Dogs
Spelling
  • Like 1

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Went to the course today, 260-270 yards driver is the new normal for me. Yay. The shot are straight. Out of all driver hit today, not even 1 is slice. Some even went to the left lol! It may also be me changing my swing, but the lighter weight may help. 

Let just say it helps find the fairway quite easily.

Edited by NghiaSS
  • Like 1

That was an interesting experience. I played it at full length. With an aggressive move, I couldn’t square it up and hit it all over the place. I’m an upper 110s guy usually and to hit that square, I had to really slow down my swing. Until I slowed down, I either pushed it right or hooked it. On performance, for me I have to give it an incomplete. 46.5” is way too long of a shaft for me. 

On feel, this is a damn good shaft. It waggles like crazy and looks like the rubber pencil magic trick when you just wag the head. But no matter how hard I swung, it immediately stiffened up in the downswing and never felt soft. As far as that goes, the shaft does what it says. I let a few people hit it and they all reported the same thing. I honestly believe anyone could play this shaft so long as it’s fitted properly. There’s definitely something to the tech behind it.

I’m going to have to give myself a real fitting at a proper length to see if it actually makes a real difference. As of now, my gamer is better because I can square a 45” driver better. I’ll cut this down and fit my club to my usual specs before giving up on it, but I’m not going to be the type of player who gains speed and control at 47” like Matt on TXG did. 

Edited by jgard320

On 10/24/2020 at 7:11 PM, My2Dogs said:

Today less but again it wasn’t a good day to measure being consistent as I was missing with all my clubs today.  Just wasn’t striking it well with anything. 

If you have a friend with the same head without the hot melt it would be interesting to see if you could achieve the manufacturer's preferred swing weight and if there was any difference in performance because of that.  I remember Ian saying something like this shaft would not perform in a PING because of the head weight.

I'm definitely going to try one of these, just not sure if I'll wait for BST or order one from S. Korea.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

A little update after 3 rounds of golf and 2 range session

Finally got a grip of this shaft. I believe my swing changed for the better (more stable, more positive angle of attack), partly because of the lighter shaft; and more confidence.

The round I had yesterday was awesome, all my golf partners said that my driver shot were better than ever (260 yards distance, with one or two strikes reached 280; compare to the previous rounds which I had about 240-250 on very good shots on the old ventus shaft). The shots were 80% on fairway; the miss hits were mostly left (compare to my usual slice to the right, and I believe because I turned my upper body too fast); for 1 shot I hit the car on the left side driving on the street (lol), but luckily hit the bumper, not the window, and the driver were cool about it.

I feel with the lighter shaft, I can move about and swing a little bit faster and don't need to worry about club head too much. I'm quite happy with the purchase.

Edited by NghiaSS
  • Like 1

Thank you for the update and the feedback! Keep it coming everyone. What head is everyone using on this?

Can someone PM me with the dealer contact info? Much appreciated. 🙂

I have a customer that has one on loan, SF505 X, but he could not trim it; built it to 47" in a Rogue head.  His clubhead speed is 110+ and he carried it 280.  I hit it during the round, not optimized for me, clubhead speed 87.  I hit it 10-30 yards longer and hit almost every fairway.  High dollar shaft that appears to accomplish what it claims!

• Like 2

Well crap...one popped up on eBay and I couldn’t resist.  I have access to a gcquad so when it arrives I’ll give you guys some feedback.  

• Like 4

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

Getting mine through TXG and going to be paired with my Sim.  The shaft prefer lighter head weight, thinking about putting a Jumbo Max Lite on it to push the swing weight back up.

I experimented with Jumbo Max Lite before and I like how it feel but it make the sw of my driver to E1 which is just too much for me.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

6 hours ago, shaolingolfer said:

Getting mine through TXG and going to be paired with my Sim.  The shaft prefer lighter head weight, thinking about putting a Jumbo Max Lite on it to push the swing weight back up.

I experimented with Jumbo Max Lite before and I like how it feel but it make the sw of my driver to E1 which is just too much for me.

What did you do to get it from TXG?

Another TXG video on it:

3 hours ago, gsrjc said:

What did you do to get it from TXG?

They have a batch of shaft they got from the manufacture and we have like approx. 1 week to get on the list and they will also help with some online fitting also.  That's from several weeks back.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

I broke down and ordered one, damn this board. I would love to use a PXG head, but will investigate because I want to stay within the D1 - D 1.5 range they suggest.

47" is too long for me, but I would be willing to try 46" and go from there.