KHT Autoflex shaft

chocolate_rehab

I'm so interested in this thing.  @Dliver you're inspiring me.  I wouldn't have a clue on getting the shaft and fitting it up like some of you are.  any opinions on whether a callaway rogue from a few years ago would work in this?

anyone know of a fitter anywhere near NYC, CT that can let you try this, or do you have to buy one and try to figure it out from there

2 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

Weighed the head and it comes in at 195 with the 12g and 2g weights.  That is without the adapter.  So if I do exchange the heavier weight I can get it down to 189 but I’m going to get some baseline numbers with the Ventus Black before I start to tinker and add the AF.

Nice - wonder how much the adapter weighs. I’ll probably order an 8g weight from Cobra to see if that has an impact. 

41 minutes ago, JMATHEEENS said:

Nice - wonder how much the adapter weighs. I’ll probably order an 8g weight from Cobra to see if that has an impact. 

Usually they are around 6g.  

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Ok, so i got an AF 505x from @My2Dogs just this week (also, thank you for the advice by the way). I will share my experience with it vs. my gamer. Hopefully this helps because I didnt see too many Ping users early on in this thread so I was somewhat nervous about dropping the coin and all the unknowns but lets not kid ourselves it's golf and if youre on Golfwrx you probably are addicted to an extent. lol. So here we go....

My typical swing is club path that is in-to-out. Play a draw, push-hook is my miss. Swing faults are that I tend to overswing, across the line at the top making me go under plane in to out hence the push hook miss. I see myself as someone with an aggressive transition and quick tempo. I tend to have a low ball flight ~75-80' with driver and also low spin 1900-2200rpm so get fitted into higher lofted drivers (10.5* range and the more forgiving heads because they tend to add 200-500rpm)

Gamer specs (recently fitted at a Club Champion):

45" Ping G425 Max 10.5*, standard setting, rear weight is 23g, head w/ weight is 199g, D4 swingweight

Shaft is a Fujikura Speeder Evo II 757 X, Pured

Typical swing speed of 107-109mph

AF 505x specs:

46.75" Ping 410+ 9*, standard setting, rear weight is 10g, head w/ weight is 199g, removed the 10g weight to get to 189g which made it fall into D1 area.

I first tried it out on Tuesday this week after getting the adapter swapped out on Monday. So at the range all I noticed was that the AF definitely carried further, even on awful shots. My snap hooks even carried further. Just from my eye it felt like the dispersion was better, but on the range I was downwind so honestly I was hitting both pretty straight. ***One thing I think you have to do (this is the advice that My2dogs gave me) is have a smooth, if not slow, takeaway. (so I dont entirely agree with the whole "if you dont have a smooth swing then it wont work", because my tempo is quick as well as my transition and I was able to adapt to it and I am by no means a great player). I noticed that once I did that to the top of my backswing I could essentially swing as hard as I wanted and not worry about the whip of the head/tip, because I knew from reading previous posts that even though it feels whippy you need to trust that the tip will be there at impact and it does get there.

So I finally was able to get on a trackman tonight and wow, there is definitely something to this shaft. I am not quite done tinkering yet but it is legit. I only hit 6 balls with each I think and discarded the worst ball for each (I dont know why I didnt throw out the best for both either, probably because the other 5 were so close)

Here are my trackman number with my gamer(top) and AF(bottom):

59E9D16B-7A70-42CE-B7C2-DDBFDBC08188_1_105_c.jpeg.66ff92260334f687da1272ab753ade97.jpeg

E74B775E-ED89-4BE5-A7BB-A3D3B82C035B_1_105_c.jpeg.7cae5ddd184f7ffc65222185563306d4.jpeg

I think I still have to test it out more, but I would recommend that if youre interested in it then go for it. I have a small sample size and know that, but I think it is definitely enough evidence that I should work with it more to see if there's more potential to unlock. I agree with a previous post that it is just too much fun to swing. I think my clubhead speed topped out at 122mph with AF (which I dont think was 100% effort) as where my all out swing on my gamer could only get to 109mph so that jump alone blew my mind. Also, like someone else mentioned the drop in smash is interesting, which i think they said was due to the lighterweight head, which i would be curious if that decreases the forgiveness as well. 

So thats all I got for now so take it FWIW.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ROH1 said:

I'm so interested in this thing.  @Dliver you're inspiring me.  I wouldn't have a clue on getting the shaft and fitting it up like some of you are.  any opinions on whether a callaway rogue from a few years ago would work in this?

anyone know of a fitter anywhere near NYC, CT that can let you try this, or do you have to buy one and try to figure it out from there

I had to put a Rogue on the AF at first as my custom Mavrik had too much hot melt in it.  So the only way to test was with the Rogue until I bought a few Mavrik heads (SZ, reg, Single Diamond).  Rogue comes in perfectly for the AF set up.  I believe it was under 190 (right around 189 if I remember correctly). 

• Like 1

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Just now, My2Dogs said:

I had to put a Rogue on the AF at first as my custom Mavrik had too much hot melt in it.  So the only way to test was with the Rogue until I bought a few Mavrik heads (SZ, reg, Single Diamond).  Rogue comes in perfectly for the AF set up.  I believe it was under 190 (right around 189 if I remember correctly). 

Rogue SZ to be exact. 

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Here are the heads I am testing with SF505XX playing length 45.75” with a CP2 Wrap Jumbo grip. Setting big - on adapter. 

As you can see, back weight removed from both heads. 

Will post first swing on trackman out the gates I was very happy. 

On course observation was really impressed with dispersion. Distance I can’t tell yet as it was cold, wet, and windy here in TX. B91AFF9F-FC1D-4806-B146-49FB154F7844.jpeg.0c3b71242042a1901dae02ff7bc4f3ce.jpeg6535A6E0-D158-480E-B1E5-0F87E69548C1.jpeg.ba8d1fe917f90e5b78571cec8829a646.jpeg06A343F8-0822-435E-A1A5-4B5510D5B579.jpeg.2837882bc75e2ba7631857622fd255c3.jpeg

TITLEIST TSR3 Ventus Black 6-X
TITLEIST TSi2 16.5* Ventus Black 8-X
TITLEIST U-505 3i Ventus Black 9-X
TITLEIST CP-03 4i Project X 6.5

TITLEIST CP-02 PW-5i Project X 6.5
Vokey SM9 50/54/58 Project X Wedge 6.5
SIK Flo 

For those of you that have cut the autoflex down to a normal length, did you try it at full length first and are you getting more clubhead speed at the shorter length?

For whatever reason, I can swing my Sim2 Max with the Ventus black 6S (46" playing length) the same speed as my Cobra Radspeed with the 505 Autoflex (46.75" playing length). I am around 105 mph clubhead speed with both. 

10 minutes ago, V series said:

For those of you that have cut the autoflex down to a normal length, did you try it at full length first and are you getting more clubhead speed at the shorter length?

For whatever reason, I can swing my Sim2 Max with the Ventus black 6S (46" playing length) the same speed as my Cobra Radspeed with the 505 Autoflex (46.75" playing length). I am around 105 mph clubhead speed with both. 

I cut my 505 to play at 44 inches to match my old gamer.  I can't hit the center of the face much longer and I don't like gripping down.  I could swing faster longer but off center hits would negate faster swing speed.

Just got my SF505XX delivered.  Going to play Sunday if the weather clears.  Playing at 46 in a Mavrik Single Diamond head.  Playing at

standard setting.  Head is 8.8* and 1.2* open.  Just weighted it and it’s 191grams without adapter.  I will update once I’m able to hit it.  Won’t be able to use the Mevo as I dont have time to hit range balls this time around.  Just a couple warm up balls if I get to play.  

89061D3C-E8D8-44E7-BF1F-C512F7F3295B.jpeg

25E65C42-9667-4C1D-89B1-D89E59D43001.jpeg

74066990-AC1D-4363-A989-BAA3954B474F.jpeg

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Got on the trackman with the AF Radspeed at the end of my lesson and it's essentially confirmed what I am seeing on the course. I was consistently carrying 235-240 which is up about 10-15 yards from the last lesson I got with my Speedzone / Helium combo.

My CHS hasn't seen a huge increase - baseline of around 101 +/- vs. high 99 +/- before and ballspeeds are in the low to mid 140s vs. high 130s. 

And my mishits are just so much more consistent than before in terms of carry distance and dispersion.  

Need to order additional weights to keep searching for a better set-up.

4 hours ago, JMATHEEENS said:

Got on the trackman with the AF Radspeed at the end of my lesson and it's essentially confirmed what I am seeing on the course. I was consistently carrying 235-240 which is up about 10-15 yards from the last lesson I got with my Speedzone / Helium combo.

My CHS hasn't seen a huge increase - baseline of around 101 +/- vs. high 99 +/- before and ballspeeds are in the low to mid 140s vs. high 130s. 

And my mishits are just so much more consistent than before in terms of carry distance and dispersion.  

Need to order additional weights to keep searching for a better set-up.

At 101 mph CHS, you should have some extra ball speed available.  Grab some impact tape and check your strike pattern.  I believe your ball speed has potential to hit 150 if your spin is sub 2200.

Finally hit the course with the AF after only hitting inside on my sim. Haven’t played since Oct I think. Only practiced indoors. 

Anyhow, I played the Duke course and let’s just say the conditions were brutal. 45 degrees, very windy (20-30mph) and very wet (we just got some crazy storms on Thursday). Every shot that lands other than on the green plugs or moves 1 foot forward. Not the best day to test but I didn’t hold back, any hole that you could hit driver (all but 4 I believe) I did. 

Bottom line I was very consistent, I didn’t get into any trouble which I normally do a couple times and my hits that I thought were not so great were still longer than normal and in play. 

Driving the ball into 20-25 mph in your face wind makes me s$it my pants. The old girl had me feeling good and confident and I just kept swinging smoothly and confident. This shaft just keeps you hitting center and right around the center of the face. Very impressive. 

I will mention that I ordered a 2g front weight, and swapped the tape with it, never tested and dropped her into play yesterday. I know it’s on 1g difference but I could tell vs. previous, club was lagging a smidge. I put back last night to the lead tape at 1g.

My setup is:

- TM Sim 2 Max 9* turned down to 8.25*

- Front weight (3g) pulled and replaced with 1g square lead tape to cover the hole (I believe I am 191/192 weight plus adapter)

- Iomic sticky 2.3 standard, one wrap

- AF 505x playing at 46.25”

She is a keeper!

• Like 1

Driver - Test Mode
TM BRNR Mini 12.5 - Rogue Black 60X

TM Stealth 16.5 - Rogue Black 70TS

Titleist TS2 5W - Rogue Black 70TX

PXG 0211 7W - Rogue Black 70TX

PING G425 5H - Proforce V2 F5

PXG Gen4 PW-6 Steelfiber fc115cw

PXG Milled Wedges 50, 54, 58 - Recoil Wedge

Ping Tyne V2

ProV1x

1 hour ago, JMATHEEENS said:

I’m playing the UNC course today 

I really like playing UNC. Usually play it 2-3 times per year. 

we are fortunate with 3 really good collegiate tracks in the area. Lonnie is bear, if you bring anything less than your A game. 

Driver - Test Mode
TM BRNR Mini 12.5 - Rogue Black 60X

TM Stealth 16.5 - Rogue Black 70TS

Titleist TS2 5W - Rogue Black 70TX

PXG 0211 7W - Rogue Black 70TX

PING G425 5H - Proforce V2 F5

PXG Gen4 PW-6 Steelfiber fc115cw

PXG Milled Wedges 50, 54, 58 - Recoil Wedge

Ping Tyne V2

ProV1x

How much does pulling ~15g of head weight out influence smash factor?

I started with the question now I'll give the review/info for others.

My Autoflex arrived today so I hit about 75 drives with it indoors on a Trackman.

I had the opportunity to test the 505x in my driver head (Epic Flash SZ) in advance and the 505xx in a SIM2 (the xx had a Taylor Made tip on it not the universal tip so I couldn't put it in my driver head). I achieved the same distance with both shafts but the dispersion was better with the xx even though by the swing speed chart I should be in the x. I ordered the xx in the end as it seemed to fit better and I did prefer the slightly firmer feel.

Pre-Autoflex my swing speed cruises about 108 and going after it about 111 with a personal best of 113. I struggle to hit up on the ball so I'm usually between -1 and +1 AoA so I have the SZ head at 9* to manage spin but my problem was getting a launch above 10* was almost impossible for me and 8-9* was common. I would carry it 250-260 and on sim roll out around 300 a lot but where I play it's wet and even in summer it doesn't roll so on course I wasn't long. My smash on Trackman was almost always 1.48-1.50.

First day with Autoflex my cruising swing speed was 112 mph and I hit 115.1 mph on my fastest. The duck hook is my current miss and the Autoflex can still do that when I get quick in my tempo but other than the occasion duck hook (which is me not the shaft and I do it with my current shaft also) the flight is way straighter. My launch is 12-13* and spin in the low to mid 2k range. My carry is up to about 270 with some a bit higher and they still roll out to about 300 but I believe I can get 15-20 yards of roll where I play whereas I'll never get 40 outdoors.

The SZ has a 2g weight in the front and a 14.5g sliding weight in the back. When I tested the 505x I had it at about d0.5 by removing sliding weight and putting a bit more weight in the front (6g if memory serves). But the 505x had been cut down a bit whereas I've left the 505xx uncut for now (based on day 1 testing it's likely to stay there as it doesn't feel long at all). With the xx I pulled the sliding weight out and with the 2g weight in the front I'm just shy of D3 which is higher than I was intending. However, after checking the grip is a lot lighter that I put on my actual shaft compared to what was on the demo shaft I tried. I had asked the manufacturer and they told me the key is getting shaft to head weight right and the grip will impact swing weight but that's not what is impacting bend profile. Long story short I can't really reduce head weight further as I can't go lighter on the front weight (I don't want a hole and it sounds hideous even if I did).

The SZ head is complementing nicely as the shaft has my launch to a better window but the low spin head is helping keep spin off it. We'll see how things go but I also can drop the driver 1* if I want to take a bit of spin off but I'm good where I am right now.

The good shots have almost perfect playing launch conditions (not long drive numbers but balance of distance and enough spin to stay on the planet) and the misses spin up around 3-3.5k so lose some distance but go far enough and stay online. Dispersion is miles better (as it was in my testing before I purchased) than any other shaft I've hit.

The only thing I can't figure out is why my smash factor has dropped. I used to live at 1.48-1.50 and I can't get it above 1.45 now and most are sitting at 1.43-1.44. this means the swing speed is up but the ball speed hasn't really changed (hence why I'm getting the same total distance even though I'm getting there in a better way).

I put one of those impact stickers on and I was living in the center of the club face but strikes were moving up and down the face as my misses. When I hit it on the button I still never got above 1.45. I have two  theories below.

The first, I'm now delivering more loft (good as I wasn't delivering enough before) so it's a slightly more glancing blow so it's going to be hard to get smash to my old norm. There is logic here but it still doesn't explain why when I button it I don't get close to "max" which leads me to keep wondering.

My second theory is that because the weight of the head is reduced there is less energy being transferred to the ball. I am not an engineer but know mass and velocity matter in energy transfer but my research suggests that gains in velocity from a golf context should outweigh loss in mass whereas I'm seeing them basically offset in terms of ball speed production.

Regardless of the smash issue, I'm equally long on the launch monitor but I'm certain it will translate to more length on the course given where I play. There is no comparison on dispersion as other than ugly duck hooks which no equipment will fix the ball just goes straight. About 2 months ago I started some golf work outs with the goal of maxing out at 115 mph swing speed to live at 110 on the course, I guess I need to set a higher goal.

• Like 1

Just a note here regarding smash factor. If you are using less-than-premium balls, your smash factor will suffer. Even if you are using premium balls, if they have been hit a ton (like in a sim), your SF will suffer.

Balls wear out. I see it at my club all the time. We use premium range balls here, but even the best balls go no where after about two weeks of heavy range hitting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DLiver said:

Just a note here regarding smash factor. If you are using less-than-premium balls, your smash factor will suffer. Even if you are using premium balls, if they have been hit a ton (like in a sim), your SF will suffer.

Balls wear out. I see it at my club all the time. We use premium range balls here, but even the best balls go no where after about two weeks of heavy range hitting.

Thanks I didn’t think a ton about ball but now that you mentioned it I grabbed the first one I saw with a dot on it which was a Q Star. It looked pretty new which was why I didn’t worry about it but reading your post I checked compression and it’s 72 vs my normal Z Star XV at 102. That could have some impact. 

I think it was 2nd swing golf that did a test with Premium vs range balls.  They had decent range balls but still range balls.  They stated the range balls on average were about 10% shorter than Premium balls.  I’ve never seen another video that had real data before.  Just people (Mr Short Game) hit premium balls vs range balls on the course.  He found the range balls always spun way more and on one par 4 was 60 yards behind his premium.  On other holes the range balls were behind but not nearly that much. 

Edited by My2Dogs

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Txg saw over compression when Matt hit the regular chrome soft. Then the chrome soft x I think was better and now chrome soft x ls also better. I believe the MGS test (whether you trust them or not) basically said the firmer the ball the better efficiency and ball speed. Range balls obviously also subject to differences to premium balls, see the txg test on that.

I don't have any hard data to reference right now (maybe I'll dig up an example) but lowering head weight too much does decrease smash and is a real concern. The hope is that with lighter head weight and lower smash the increase in club head speed will still produce higher ball speeds. Within a certain range I think you won't notice a difference but losing too much head weight will reduce the efficiency too much and you won't see any gains.

The opposite would also be true. Too much head weight and the player will swing slower and the best smash will produce lower ball speeds.

Edited by enfuego

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

Is anyone out there using a Mavrik SZ? I'm getting to the point of giving up on it. Just can't seem to find the right head weight. From 198 down to 186 and nothing seems to be working for me. 

I'm not sure if I want to scrap the whole project or buy a radspeed or Sim 2. It seems most people are having success with those combos. Maybe I just don't have the right transition for this thing? It's too bad I really wanted this one to work out. 

I went and hit more balls today. My smash factor was up to 1.47-1.48 today with ProV1x instead of the Q Star so dropping head weight may have had a tiny impact but it appears it was mostly ball. 

The shaft is meant to be swung fast not hard if that makes sense. I struggle with quick transition at times and my misses are when that happens (duck hook) but today there was only 2 of those. Trusting to let the club load and unload on its own is my key as if I try to hit at it then things go wrong. 

I flew some 280 with open face cuts today which is by far personal best and I called them as misses on contact. We played a sim round at 750’ elevation and I drove a 328 yard green and it wasn’t downhill. 

I actually feel like this driver shaft is smoothing out my swing through the bag also which was needed. Honeymoon phase for sure but working well indoors (true test to come on course this week).