KHT Autoflex shaft

Another update, decided to hit some balls this morning with the SF505XX vs. 505X

based on this mornings hits the XB 9* turned down to 8* to open the face and added some lead tape to cut back the draw was really interesting. Swapped the back weight to a 6g. And hitting the SF505XX, playing at 46” (so cut 1”). See the photos. 

The last shot was a carry of 269, I have never done that before. I have also never been able to draw the ball that many times in a row. 

full disclosure, I deleted one hit that was 40 yards left and a total of 272 yards. I usually allow myself to delete one hit in every block of hits. The one I deleted was not THAT bad. 

anyhow, this XB seems to really like me. I have some additional weights coming from cobra to see if that helps dial it in. 

so far the regular RAD is not being as easy to hit. 

I am starting to see a pattern that I get along with the “max” versions of all these drivers!

331EF34F-E44C-4C62-95A4-A9269381EA25.jpeg

2781FB6A-3D85-489A-B521-818D487400AA.jpeg

65CBCE1B-FCB8-47E2-9497-34774E33244E.jpeg

A9E32972-4F45-42CA-BCA5-340B635083FA.jpeg

29004F4F-B952-4FFB-A0E4-612AC532E7BB.jpeg

Edited by stealthall
  • Like 2

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

TM Sim2 Max 16.5 - Tour AD DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 21 - Tour AD VR 7X

PING G425 Hybrid 25* - Proforce V2 F5

Wilson Staff Model CB - PW-5i - PX LZ 6.0

PXG Milled Wedges 50, 54, 58 - PX LZ 6.0

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm in a golf community with about 40 golfers, and 10 of us ordered the Autoflex which arrived 2 weeks ago. I thought it would be important to share our experience with this shaft, and more importantl

It means that I'm on ebay right now looking for a reasonable deal on some used ladies flex shafts to compare.  

They have stated many times (and now have a notice that is displayed in the middle of their videos) that they use Matt because he can eliminate many of the variables that lesser golfers introduce into

Posted Images

18 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

Forward weights help keep spin down & rear weights help increase MOI, correct?  I know you guys are removing weights in order to maintain a target swingweight at >46” , but is the tradeoff beneficial at the end of the day?

I understand whatever works but on paper this doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

This thread won't be 35 pages long if the tradeoff is not beneficial.  It take time and work to dial it in but it well worth the effort for me.

• Thanks 1

TM Sim 10.5, VA Rajjin 64S
Titleist 16.5 TS2, GD AD TP 6S
Callaway Mavrik 5 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Mavrik 3 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Epic Forge, Steelfiber 90S
Miura Tour Wedge 54, Steelfiber 115cw S
TM MG2 58, KBS.

Scotty Cameron Big Sur Long Putter.

Snell MTB X.

So I finally got my 2nd SF505XX but I won’t be able to hit it until Sat.  Going to play that course I’m very used to and does not have both sides tree lined.  Which is funny because it has lots of OB on both sides, lakes, etc but not many trees so it just looks open.  I’ll test both the Mavrik and Sim2 on different holes.  Course is packed so I don’t think I’ll be able to hit side by side but if we are waiting and have a long backlog I’ll try. 

• Like 1

Mavrik  8.8* Single Diamond - AutoFlex SF505XX shaft 

TM Sim2 Rocket- AutoFlex SF505X
Callaway Super Hybrid- Ventus Black 9TX or depending on course and conditions 
3i Honma MMT 105TX
4i PXG Gen2 Utility Iron MMT 105TX
5-PW PXG Gen3 MMT 105TX (5 and 6 Players, 7-PW MMT 105TX)
Bettinardi HLX 3.0. 52*,56*
Vokey SM8 60* LW
Callaway Exo 7S Stability Tour Shaft, 35inch

So I had 45 mins at lunch today.  I got my other shaft (Tensei Pro White 1K 60TX) to hit against the AF SF505XX.  Today was a bad day for swinging and speed as my back and hip are hurting.  I could tell I’m about a club to 1 1/2 clubs shorter on all irons and especially longer irons and hybrid that I used to warm up. 

what I found out is that I’m only getting to about 109-110mph swing speed today with the AF.  So I swapped out the AF to the 1K.  Very surprised at the results.  The 1K was about 3mph slower (106-107) and about 10 yards of carry shorter but the most surprising thing was that the AF was the same or slightly less spin than the Tensei 1K.  I then swapped out to the Ventus Black 6X and the 1K is def a direct competitor to the Ventus line up.  Mitsubishi now has a shaft in direct comp with the Ventus line up.

I forgot to take a snapshot of the Mevo with the 1K or Ventus but this is the one i remembered to grab with the SF505XX.  I also found out that when I level out my shoulders and don’t tilt is when I can really keep the spin down on the AF.  When I do my normal tilt the spin def goes up.  Tried it with the 1K and Ventus and it didn’t make too much a difference but it did with the AF.

so for those who think they launch it too high and spin it too much, level out your shoulders like an iron swing and it could help.  Again older range balls but I did try and find the ones that were the least beat up. 

BTW I did hit both the Sim2 and Mavrik with the tilt and no tilt and both came out about the same distance, spin, launch, etc.  Sim2 is not longer than the Mavrik with AF. I could basically throw a blanket over the numbers of both.  109-110 swing speed, 258-261 carry, 13-13.5 launch and 2300-2450 spin with shoulders not tilted. 

88A52E6B-3D7D-4500-B35C-1EECEF032F5F.jpeg

Edited by My2Dogs

3i Honma MMT 105TX
Vokey SM8 60* LW
12 minutes ago, Lasorcier said:

Okay I have had it with you people and this site.  This is nothing but propaganda to vulnerable people.  

So yeah, I should have a 505x in a few days and I'm sure I will report back on the results in a detailed manner.

Another sucker!!!

seriously, congrats and welcome the party!

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

1 hour ago, Lasorcier said:

Okay I have had it with you people and this site.  This is nothing but propaganda to vulnerable people.  

So yeah, I should have a 505x in a few days and I'm sure I will report back on the results in a detailed manner.

It is a very interesting shaft. I am hitting the 505 really well--it is a significant upgrade over my previous shaft, which was fitted and confirmed by a couple of very knowledgeable people. I just got a 505x to see if I can improve over the 505. I'm not looking for more ball speed, but hoping I get get slightly lower launch and spin.

I'll be comparing it with the two following shafts:

Fujikura Motore X F3 6S 47 inch TSI3

Tensei White  S that was standard with the TSI3, extended to 47 inch

Jumbomax Tour small is on both of these.

The head weighs 198g without the adapter and 188g without both the adapter and the weight.

I'll get good top tracer and portable LM info.

Oh and I am well aware that it is an interesting shaft from reading all of this thread.  

Still mad at you people.  You did it.  I hope you are happy with yourselves!😉

5 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

So I had 45 mins at lunch today.  I got my other shaft (Tensei Pro White 1K 60TX) to hit against the AF SF505XX.  Today was a bad day for swinging and speed as my back and hip are hurting.  I could tell I’m about a club to 1 1/2 clubs shorter on all irons and especially longer irons and hybrid that I used to warm up. 

what I found out is that I’m only getting to about 109-110mph swing speed today with the AF.  So I swapped out the AF to the 1K.  Very surprised at the results.  The 1K was about 3mph slower (106-107) and about 10 yards of carry shorter but the most surprising thing was that the AF was the same or slightly less spin than the Tensei 1K.  I then swapped out to the Ventus Black 6X and the 1K is def a direct competitor to the Ventus line up.  Mitsubishi now has a shaft in direct comp with the Ventus line up.

I forgot to take a snapshot of the Mevo with the 1K or Ventus but this is the one i remembered to grab with the SF505XX.  I also found out that when I level out my shoulders and don’t tilt is when I can really keep the spin down on the AF.  When I do my normal tilt the spin def goes up.  Tried it with the 1K and Ventus and it didn’t make too much a difference but it did with the AF.

so for those who think they launch it too high and spin it too much, level out your shoulders like an iron swing and it could help.  Again older range balls but I did try and find the ones that were the least beat up. 

BTW I did hit both the Sim2 and Mavrik with the tilt and no tilt and both came out about the same distance, spin, launch, etc.  Sim2 is not longer than the Mavrik with AF. I could basically throw a blanket over the numbers of both.  109-110 swing speed, 258-261 carry, 13-13.5 launch and 2300-2450 spin with shoulders not tilted. 

88A52E6B-3D7D-4500-B35C-1EECEF032F5F.jpeg

would you tell me what swing weight you are hitting with sim2? Did you make any adjustments to the head weights? 
tks!

2 hours ago, Jaejdsn said:

would you tell me what swing weight you are hitting with sim2? Did you make any adjustments to the head weights? 
tks!

I don’t know the swing weight.  I listed the head weight at 195g in an earlier post and I haven’t done anything to it once I got the SF505XX.  Straight into the head and off to the range.  My Mavrik for reference is 192g and is D1.5.  Both playing at 46 inches. 

3i Honma MMT 105TX
Vokey SM8 60* LW
On 2/19/2021 at 7:08 AM, supersp0rt said:

You and I are very similar. My (previous) gamer was a nemesys 75 four @ 44'' D4 with a speedzone head. Im right around 97-98 warmed up. Same ball speeds. As a reference, I play to just under a 4 and the driver is the weakest club in my bag. Transition is slighlty on the aggressive side.

Had the give the AF a try. Picked up a 505 and tried it first at full 46.5 playing length. Felt like my driver was a foot longer and it was ugly. 😆

Shortened it to 44.25'' playing length and we began cooking with gas. Very first hit @ C7 was +3mph BS. Over the course of 2 days I hit ~50 shots with this (indoor trackman) and didnt have a single ballspeed that was lower than my highest ballspeed with my nemesys. Extremely consistent. I played around with swingweights from C7-D2 and will need to wait until I can see outdoor ball flights to make a final decision. Launch averaged up an additional degree. Spin and AoA no notable changes...2000-2200 and +4-5. Over those ~50 shots, it averaged just over +4mph BS. Can still hit my preferred draw. I know if you spend $800 on a driver shaft you really want it to work, but this thing makes me look much better than I am 😁

This is an update to my above post now that Ive been able to get outside. Still very happy and its solidly in the bag. Over the course of my indoor testing from the previous post until mother nature warmed us up, I averaged just under 5mph BS over my nemesys. 100-102 swing is now the norm. All other stats were relatively unchanged. 

I am admittedly a bit surprised launch is unchanged as most see that go up. But that could potentially be a product of me hitting up on the ball hard/later release/low spin. Still able to hit all of the shots I want. But to mirror what lots have seen, the transition cant be rushed. For me, thats an auto block, or worse, block cut. My last conscious thought before I step in is "slow controlled backswing"...I do my part, and it does its 😀

Ill probably try some of the newer heads just to see if theres a better fit to get me more peak height, without sacrificing spin or consistency. I sit at about 80-85' now with my SZ 9 head +1, but would like to see 100'.

Edited by supersp0rt
1 hour ago, JMATHEEENS said:

My2Dogs - do you find the XB to be way more forgiving than the Radspeed? 

I have no idea as I don’t have an XB.  Only hit my Rad Speed once as I’ve been concentrating on the SF505XX in the 2 other heads now.  Rad Speed was fine for me and about the same as the Sim, Sim2 lineup in forgiveness. 

3i Honma MMT 105TX
Vokey SM8 60* LW
1 hour ago, JMATHEEENS said:

My2Dogs - do you find the XB to be way more forgiving than the Radspeed? 

I am testing the RAD vs RAD XB in 9*

I found the XB to be easier to hit and more forgiving. For me it takes much less work (center contact) to get the same results as the RAD. I do not see a different in performance (for me) between the 2 heads. 

I currently have the XB 9* turned down to 7.5*, back weight is 6g + 1g tape back/toe to ease the left biased. SF505XX cut 1” so playing at 46”. 

I have some extra weights coming - 2g, 6g and 8g. I am going to try the 2g in the back of the XB and play around with some settings. So far the XB seems to work better for me. 

I think it’s a pride thing for most of us. It was for me initially....hitting a “max” version vs. the regular.  

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

Another update. 

I setup the Proto X with the 505x at 46 1/8” playing length. Moved the head weights around, currently 2g toe, 2g front, 5g back and 5g heel. Playing it true to loft at 9*. 

In the words of Borat....great success!

Hit my longest simulator drive at 303y. 

I really like the feel of the Proto and will probably roll with:

Proto setup like above (launches at 10-11 degrees)

RAD in the 505xx turned to 8* for lower bullets. 

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

1 hour ago, TBD203 said:

I am driving the ball better with the 505 than I have in a couple of seasons. I do think I should have gone 505x, as I’m much more consistent than ever, but I can’t really go after it. That being said I’m not playing 7000 yard courses, and 250-270 in the fairway is better than the alternative!

That is awesome. 

I am testing the 505xx 46” as I started with the 505x 46”, also have a cut down 505x 45 3/8”.

Here is what I notice between the the 505x and 505xx:

The 505x is a cruiser shaft, just swing nice and smooth and let the shaft do the work. 

The 505xx is speed shaft, you can go after it and swing freely. Also cruise to. 

This has been my observations so far.

• Like 1

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

32 minutes ago, stealthall said:

That is awesome. 

I am testing the 505xx 46” as I started with the 505x 46”, also have a cut down 505x 45 3/8”.

Here is what I notice between the the 505x and 505xx:

The 505x is a cruiser shaft, just swing nice and smooth and let the shaft do the work. 

The 505xx is speed shaft, you can go after it and swing freely. Also cruise to. 

This has been my observations so far.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear, I have used the SF505X for a few months but am going to switch up to the 505XX soon to be able to go after it.  I found the same thing that the SF505X works well smoothing it.  

I play the 505X in a Radspeed 9 lofted up to 10.  Play a more of an out to in swing with the face open to hit dead straight shots.  I am hoping I can launch huge draws with the SF505XX, straight bomber. 

Edited by jus4kiks

Just a got a response....

The Fairway woods and the driver shafts are manufactured separately.
That is not to say that the driver shaft cannot be trimmed to be used as a fairway wood.
The maximum recommended tipping is 1 inch, however.
Take a look at the FAQ section, and also the PRODUCT specs to note each shaft's raw weight as well.

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

Finally got back out for my 3rd round with the RadSpeed 505 combo. 40 mph winds so didn't hit driver as much as I normally would.  Hit it on 6 holes and hit all 6 fairways, distance was impossible to judge with with the wind.

Only problem is I basically aimed 20 yards left of every fairway. Every ball I hit is pushed right with perfectly straight ball flight. Grabbed my buddy's Mavrik with a hzrdus smoke green handcrafted 6.0 and no push at all. That setup was one of my old gamers and hit it with a slight draw about 15 yards shy of the autoflex push shot.

Really struggling to figure out what I'm doing to hit these straight pushes. The end result has been great and super consistent but I feel like an idiot aiming at houses left of the fairway all day.

• Haha 1

Just played today....Proto X with SF505x play at 45.75”. Did ok, lost one right into penalty. The rest were not too bad, had a couple really good ones. Had a power fade going again.  The issue is I am loosing my alignment in play vs. practice. 

Bottom line this shaft is helping me big time. I custom ordered a Sim2 Max 9* in all black that will come first week of May and will play that with the SF505xx. Also order extra back weights to tinker. 

The PXG I like, it just seems a little squirmy, I think it’s my alignment. No more hoping around heads going forward, it’s the Sim2 Max and Proto X.

playing again tomorrow and we will see what happens. 

• Like 1

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

13 hours ago, Morry said:

What is your swing speed?

I have a 505 as well and I am 99-104 

thanks

I am pretty similar, and again today when I was swinging smoothly the combo was an absolute dream. I can get up to 110 if I want and possibly even a bit higher, but I’ve always had my issue be a very quick transition. My usual large draw/hook was a piercing 2-5 yard draw. 

I honestly should just accept this as a success... but I know as I groove the smoother swing transition I’ll want more and more SS... for better or worse.

35 minutes ago, TmagBryce said:

I normally never chime in on posts like this, and I'll be the first one to admit I thought these were overhyped, over priced, and just bogus.  Im 52, and for the most part learned my lesson last year chasing distance. My most successful setup was a SIM Max Tensei Pro White 60S.  Club head speed right around 100 and average drive 268-270, hitting 90% of my fairways.  Bounced around with Maverick, X Proto and a few others and just not close with the consistency I had with SM/Tensei Pro White.  So the SIM2 and SIM Max2 come out and told myself unless I saw AT LEAST 5 yards gained and no loss of accuracy I wasn't going to pull the trigger.  Fitter got me into a Sim Max2 and Tensei 1K 60S, and was amazed as I picked up 3MPH ball speed and 8-10 yards on average.  Was extremely happy and had zero interest in trying these shafts.  I got a 505X in part of a trade that made sense that I could sell if didn't like it and it blew my mind.  Was another 10 yards longer sliding it into my Sim Max2 head. Spin rate had climbed quite about though and pushing 3000-3100. Local golf studio put it into an OG SIM and brought the spin down about 800rpm's and that was all she wrote. Over 25 balls tested, picked up average of 6.4mph ball speed and averaged 15.3 yards increased. Completely mind blown.  Have 3 on course rounds and it is crazy where I am on some of the holes I have played 100's of rounds before.  On course has seen some 15-20 yard gains. Consistency averaging middle 290's and catch that occasional 300 yarder.

Could not be any happier.  Thing is nuts.

Absolutely love that you were able to quickly find your match and setting!

congrats!

Edited by stealthall

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

So I played Sat but again having some issues with my hip and back.  Just what happens after all the surgeries and also my age.  Anyway, played the course that is pretty wide open if you know where the misses are.  Lots of OB but again  I know where to miss so for me it’s not that big a deal.  Someone who hasn’t played it before could have second thoughts on shots with the OB.

Only had the Sim2 in the bag as the course was packed and I knew I wouldn’t get 2nd shots so I wanted to concentrate on the Sim2 with the SF505XX since I haven’t played with that combo yet as the AF just arrived earlier in the week.  

AF was great.  Even bad strikes came out ok and still with distance.  I did tilt my shoulders this round as it’s just natural for me and I didn’t remember to level them out so some of my drives did spin up and launch high.  Still plenty of distance though and I had a couple monster drives ( monster for me).  Only missed 1 fw and I had 4 birdies and shot even par on a 6,500 track.  Did have 1 double and 2 bogies.  The one missed fairway was the double as I hit it OB.  Was rushing on hole 10 as a group was letting us through as they were stopping to get food.  When we got to 10 it was still backed up and then the other group came up as we hadn’t teed off yet.  They said to go ahead anyway and so I felt bad, rushed and tried to kill it.  Over draw into the water on the left.  Long par 5, 550.  So I’ve now had 2 good rounds with the SF505XX.  One with the Mavrik and one with the Sim2.  

also the SF505X in the Sim2 3 wood is a beast.  Hit 2 bombs with it on long par 4’s where driver gets me in trouble as the fairways dogleg left and you have to clear water and going through the fairway is also OB.  Hit nice low stinger type draws that went about 270.  What seems strange is the FW does not spin up like the driver.   Don’t tilt on the 3 wood but still it’s much lower launching and spin is down compared to the Ventus Blue 7X or Black 7X I’ve put in the 3 wood.  

now the SF505XX is more stout and I felt a bit tired at the end of the round.  I did not feel tired the other day when I played with the SF505XX and Mavrik.  Was just hurting that day but didn’t get tired at the end of the round.  When I used to play the SF505X I never felt tired after a round. The SF505XX made my body feel like I would when I would play with the Ventus Black.  Could be I was just tired as I only slept 1 hour the night before but I think it was more due to the shaft and me trying to step on every driver shot I hit.  I wanted to really push myself and see what the SF505XX could do with it being more open on the course.  I hit between 270-285 on most drives and had 2 that went over 300 with roll. 

Something also interesting.  I got paired with an entire family (mother, dad and their 3 daughters).  Dad and the 12 and 14 yo played with me and the mom and the 8 yo played behind us with another 2some.  Found out they were there for a First Tee event and they were practicing as they never played the course before.  They were from out of state.  The 14yo has been playing  competitive golf/tournaments for about 2 years now and she is nationally ranked.  Top 30 in the country.  I told her where to aim and either draw of fade it, helped on approach shots and how the greens were slanted.  She was absolutely superb.  She would hit any shot I told her to hit and didn’t miss 1 fw.  Also carries it 200 and with roll is about 240 with driver.  Great short game, chipping and putted like a champ.  She had 3 birdies and 4 bogies.  She played 2 tee boxes up but I believe it’s 5,700.  She shot 1 over on a course she’s never played before, lots of OB and greens with lots of movement.  The 12 yo was also really good but she didn’t have the strength to hit high approach shots and this course requires you to get the ball to stop or you get on the wrong side of holes.  Dad was also good but the 14yo is a baller.  Amazing how good these kids are that are coming up.  Dad did tell me they travel all over the country to get the girls in tournaments.    

• Like 1

3i Honma MMT 105TX
Vokey SM8 60* LW
9 hours ago, M44km44k said:

Finally got back out for my 3rd round with the RadSpeed 505 combo. 40 mph winds so didn't hit driver as much as I normally would.  Hit it on 6 holes and hit all 6 fairways, distance was impossible to judge with with the wind.

Only problem is I basically aimed 20 yards left of every fairway. Every ball I hit is pushed right with perfectly straight ball flight. Grabbed my buddy's Mavrik with a hzrdus smoke green handcrafted 6.0 and no push at all. That setup was one of my old gamers and hit it with a slight draw about 15 yards shy of the autoflex push shot.

Really struggling to figure out what I'm doing to hit these straight pushes. The end result has been great and super consistent but I feel like an idiot aiming at houses left of the fairway all day.

One thing I found when I was doing the straight right push shots was that the AF is lighter than my other shafts.  So when I got to the top and tried to go after it I sometimes came a bit over the top and my right shoulder is leading the swing.  

• Like 1

3i Honma MMT 105TX
Vokey SM8 60* LW
On 4/9/2021 at 7:02 AM, stealthall said:

I am testing the RAD vs RAD XB in 9*

I found the XB to be easier to hit and more forgiving. For me it takes much less work (center contact) to get the same results as the RAD. I do not see a different in performance (for me) between the 2 heads. 

I currently have the XB 9* turned down to 7.5*, back weight is 6g + 1g tape back/toe to ease the left biased. SF505XX cut 1” so playing at 46”. 

I have some extra weights coming - 2g, 6g and 8g. I am going to try the 2g in the back of the XB and play around with some settings. So far the XB seems to work better for me. 

I think it’s a pride thing for most of us. It was for me initially....hitting a “max” version vs. the regular.  

Really thinking of getting another SF505XX for the Rad Speed.  I like the head, feel and sound with the current set up (Ventus Black 6X).  Only played the 1 round with it as I was trying to get used to the XX in the other 2 heads.  I need to find one head and stick with it but I do like to tinker and this is the first Cobra I’ve liked and purchased since the LTD. 

3i Honma MMT 105TX
Vokey SM8 60* LW