Jump to content

KHT Autoflex shaft


chocolate_rehab

Recommended Posts

Played Sat with the Epic Max LS and AF505XX.   Also swapped in the Mizuno ST Z head in for a couple of shots.  Hit some of the best drives I’ve had since before my abdominal surgery in late Jan.  Had a couple over 300 and a bunch around 285-290.  Used the GPS to get distances and the longest was 315.  Had 1 bad snappy drive and 1 left out to the right but beyond that everything else was a nice baby draw.  
 

also I found out my Epic Max LS was only 192g.  Bought a heavier back weight as I originally thought it was 17g but it turned out to only be 12g.  Put in the 14g and now sitting at 194g.  With the lighter weight I might test out my AF505X as well.

 

Mizuno in the AF505XX comes in at 198g.  Really nice feel and high launching without g too high and going nowhere.  It’s a high launch but def goes out there.  The Mizuno did so well I’m thinking of selling my Cobra in the backup bag and replacing it with the ST Z. 

 

swapped out both my AF’s, 1K50TX, 1K60TX and Ventus Black 6X with the All Fit adapters.  They have been great and will allow me to put a few of my Ventus Blacks, Blues and even a couple Red’s on the BST once I swap out what I want to keep.  Liam with All Fit had been really accommodating and I know shipping at $25 is a lot but they do get here quickly.  I purchased a few adapters, cogs and extra screws/washers so it wasn’t too bad once I purchased a few items.  If anyone is looking at All Fit- I highly recommend them.  

  • Like 1

Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS 10*- AutoFlex SF505XX shaft 

TM Sim2 Rocket- AutoFlex SF505X
PXG Gen4 5 wood- Ventus Blue 7X or depending on course and conditions 
4i Epic Forged iron Ventus Black 9TX
4i PXG Gen2 Utility Iron MMT 105TX
5-PW PXG Gen3 MMT 105TX (5 and 6 Players, 7-PW MMT 105TX)
Bettinardi HLX 3.0. 50*, 55* 
Vokey SM8 60* LW
Lab 2.1 , Stability Tour shaft,  35inch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, oo1oo said:

Anyone messed with 3wd’s yet? Ready to move on to the 3wd since the driver is dialed in. 

I believe My2Dogs is using it as all as M44km44k

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

TM Sim2 Max 16.5 - Tour AD DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 21 - Tour AD VR 7X

PING G425 Hybrid 25* - Proforce V2 F5

Srixon ZX5 PW-5i - Nippon Tour 105 S

PXG Milled Wedges 50, 54, 58 - PX LZ 6.0

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still using 505x with great results. Sim MAX (original) head at 9 degrees but lofted down to 7.5. Few holes at my course require a high drive to clear corners, and haven't run into any problems even at lower loft. 

 

I'm tempted to try driving iron out with an AF shaft, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, oo1oo said:

Anyone messed with 3wd’s yet? Ready to move on to the 3wd since the driver is dialed in. 

@stealthall is correct. I had a fairway version 505x in my 5 wood. It was not as dependable as my tour ad iz so I sold it. To be fair my 5 wood is best club in my bag and I'm extremely biased to that setup. Autoflex really never had a fair chance there and I needed the money to upgrade my 505 to 505x in driver.

I recently took my old 505 driver shaft and put it in a rocket 3 sim. It hits absolute bombs. Feels extremely easy to hit off the deck and very consistent slight fade. Off the tee it's perfect and straight.

I typically game only a 5 wood but this has been a nice addition. If they driver is off that day I can just pull out the 3 and play it all day.  I find myself at the familiar distances I used to be at prior to switching to the  autoflex driver. 

 

 

 

1 hour ago, TBD203 said:

Still using 505x with great results. Sim MAX (original) head at 9 degrees but lofted down to 7.5. Few holes at my course require a high drive to clear corners, and haven't run into any problems even at lower loft. 

 

I'm tempted to try driving iron out with an AF shaft, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on it.

I'd love to hear how that goes. I've wanted to do that for a while, and haven't heard much about people doing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, M44km44k said:

@stealthall is correct. I had a fairway version 505x in my 5 wood. It was not as dependable as my tour ad iz so I sold it. To be fair my 5 wood is best club in my bag and I'm extremely biased to that setup. Autoflex really never had a fair chance there and I needed the money to upgrade my 505 to 505x in driver.

I recently took my old 505 driver shaft and put it in a rocket 3 sim. It hits absolute bombs. Feels extremely easy to hit off the deck and very consistent slight fade. Off the tee it's perfect and straight.

I typically game only a 5 wood but this has been a nice addition. If they driver is off that day I can just pull out the 3 and play it all day.  I find myself at the familiar distances I used to be at prior to switching to the  autoflex driver. 

 

 

 

I'd love to hear how that goes. I've wanted to do that for a while, and haven't heard much about people doing it.

So let’s talk about this 505 driver shaft converted to fairway….couple questions. 
 

1. You trimmed the butt and tip ends? Amounts?

2. You play a 505x in your driver (as do I), I assumed I would put a 505x or 505xx in my fairway as I play 70x shafts now. This has been my hold up…the 505 is ok? Not too loose?

TSi3 10* - Autoflex 505x

TM Sim2 Max 16.5 - Tour AD DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 21 - Tour AD VR 7X

PING G425 Hybrid 25* - Proforce V2 F5

Srixon ZX5 PW-5i - Nippon Tour 105 S

PXG Milled Wedges 50, 54, 58 - PX LZ 6.0

Scotty Laguna

ProV1x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stealthall said:

So let’s talk about this 505 driver shaft converted to fairway….couple questions. 
 

1. You trimmed the butt and tip ends? Amounts?

2. You play a 505x in your driver (as do I), I assumed I would put a 505x or 505xx in my fairway as I play 70x shafts now. This has been my hold up…the 505 is ok? Not too loose?

So I did no tipping...  just plugged it right in with my allfit adapter. Butt trimmed a bit and choked down to 43.5" (marked the grip).

My issue is that I have an aggressive transition with my driver. Probably way too aggressive if we are being honest. If I had a smoother swing I would be using regular 505 in driver.

With my fairways I'm very smooth and controlled. Prior to autoflex I used a ventus blue 6s in driver and tour AD IZ stiff/regular fairways. If you aren't familiar with the SR flex it's recommended 92-98 mph driver speed. 

The point is I'm a bad example to model off of. I did exactly what I was used to and took a less stiff version in my fairway. You would be right to need an x or even xx in yours. 

To @My2Dogs point this is the beauty of using allfit adapters. I could easily if that driver shaft into my fairway, choke way up and see how it worked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yup that makes sense.  When the transition is smooth is when this shaft really shines.  I think that is probably true at any swingspeed.  So either a slow swinger or a fast swinger will do well as long as their transition is smooth.  

 

For the violent transitions, that is where bad results with this shaft come from, I think.   So I think violent transitioners are better served to either not get this shaft or develop a smooth transition.  

 

Just my thoughts and cod be wrong.  Still at 47", B4 setting (lowest loft and flattest lie), TSI3 9*, 192g.  

Edited by Lasorcier
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recently installed a 505X into my Ping G410 LST 3 wood.  The shaft arrived at 43"/59 grams uncut.  I experimented with back weights and settled on 210 gram head weight (5 gram back weight) for an overall 321 gram weight club-D0.9 SW.  I can't recall the overall club length but did not top and butt cut about 1/2".

Bottom line-love it.  It is easy to hit of the deck and also very good off the tee.

 

FYI, I play the 505X in my G410 LST driver at 46.5" and D1.5 SW.  My swing speed is 114-120 SSR or 108-109 trackman.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, stealthall said:

I believe My2Dogs is using it as all as M44km44k

Yes still have it in the 3 wood and still straight and long.  3 wood shaft tipped 1/2 inch in the SF505X. 

Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS 10*- AutoFlex SF505XX shaft 

TM Sim2 Rocket- AutoFlex SF505X
PXG Gen4 5 wood- Ventus Blue 7X or depending on course and conditions 
4i Epic Forged iron Ventus Black 9TX
4i PXG Gen2 Utility Iron MMT 105TX
5-PW PXG Gen3 MMT 105TX (5 and 6 Players, 7-PW MMT 105TX)
Bettinardi HLX 3.0. 50*, 55* 
Vokey SM8 60* LW
Lab 2.1 , Stability Tour shaft,  35inch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 6:32 PM, My2Dogs said:

Played Sat with the Epic Max LS and AF505XX.   Also swapped in the Mizuno ST Z head in for a couple of shots.  Hit some of the best drives I’ve had since before my abdominal surgery in late Jan.  Had a couple over 300 and a bunch around 285-290.  Used the GPS to get distances and the longest was 315.  Had 1 bad snappy drive and 1 left out to the right but beyond that everything else was a nice baby draw.  
 

also I found out my Epic Max LS was only 192g.  Bought a heavier back weight as I originally thought it was 17g but it turned out to only be 12g.  Put in the 14g and now sitting at 194g.  With the lighter weight I might test out my AF505X as well.

 

Mizuno in the AF505XX comes in at 198g.  Really nice feel and high launching without g too high and going nowhere.  It’s a high launch but def goes out there.  The Mizuno did so well I’m thinking of selling my Cobra in the backup bag and replacing it with the ST Z. 

 

swapped out both my AF’s, 1K50TX, 1K60TX and Ventus Black 6X with the All Fit adapters.  They have been great and will allow me to put a few of my Ventus Blacks, Blues and even a couple Red’s on the BST once I swap out what I want to keep.  Liam with All Fit had been really accommodating and I know shipping at $25 is a lot but they do get here quickly.  I purchased a few adapters, cogs and extra screws/washers so it wasn’t too bad once I purchased a few items.  If anyone is looking at All Fit- I highly recommend them.  

Waiting for my Autoflex, but bought a pretty large order of All-Fit adapters, made the most of the $25 shipping cost. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also for the fairway shaft they only make it in the SF505X as the stiffest.  The fairway and driver are not the same from what I was told and I believe someone here found out/confirmed as well.  They stated to tip the fw shaft 1/2 inch.  Has worked out great so far.  Only way to play the XX would be to purchase a driver shaft and then cut it down.  Tough way to experiment as the driver shaft can be sold pretty easily but not if you cut it down to play 43” to experiment in the fw.  When I bought the fw it was def shorter than the driver raw shaft. 

Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS 10*- AutoFlex SF505XX shaft 

TM Sim2 Rocket- AutoFlex SF505X
PXG Gen4 5 wood- Ventus Blue 7X or depending on course and conditions 
4i Epic Forged iron Ventus Black 9TX
4i PXG Gen2 Utility Iron MMT 105TX
5-PW PXG Gen3 MMT 105TX (5 and 6 Players, 7-PW MMT 105TX)
Bettinardi HLX 3.0. 50*, 55* 
Vokey SM8 60* LW
Lab 2.1 , Stability Tour shaft,  35inch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you’re looking for an autoflex feel in an iron shaft, I think the Fujikura MCI practice fits the bill. I put the 70g .370 shaft in my eq1-nx 5 iron and I’m crushing it. It might only have viability for single length set ups, but I honestly think I could game it pretty easily. 
 

@Fujikura Golf do you have any insight into the viability of gaming the practice shaft? Seems to me like it’s accomplishing what the autoflex does in woods better than autoflex can in irons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bkirb said:

Trying to find another post about this in this beautiful novel being written. But I just received my SF505x from eBay today and noticed that the “x” in 505X looks much smaller than in the pictures. Possible counterfeit? Or paranoia?

Do you have a picture of it by chance?  Mine has this times new roman'ish font and the X doesn't quite fit in.  Got mine from the manufacturer's dealer in singapore.

 

On another note, since a ho is gonna ho, I got a TSi4 head.  Titleist turnaround time was one day short of one month, which is what they quoted me.  So, all good there.  But, I told them I have the shaft I want and they can put whatever shaft they want with it.  They put a Tensei Raw Blue SFW (something like that - its a little logo on the silver part) on it.  Generally disregarded that shaft. 

 

At any rate, the head weighs 197g with the weight in it.  It is a -4 weight, so it weighs 4-5 grams. Kitchen scale said 193g without the weight.  I did that with the wrapper on it.  When I removed that, both dropped by 1 gram.  I had no idea plastic wrap weighed something like that.  So, it is 192-193 without the weight and 196-197 with the weight in it.  I said it was going in a 47" autoflex, so they might have lowered the weight from what a shorter shaft might be.  dunno.

 

I left the weight in it for the first two nines I played (tonight and last night).  It hit considerably longer than the TSi3 and noticeably less spin (just from looking at how the ball flew).  I use the left dash with it and it just hammers the ball.  So, 14 drives between the two nights (no warmup before either round - totally cold).  As per garmin:

 

First nine (back 9 of my usual course).  Par 35, Score 36. 1 birdie, 2 bogies, rest pars. 1.6 putts per hole.  14 putts. 4/9 GIR.

10.  234, missed left and legit sliced it.  First ever hit with it, so I'll excuse myself on that one. 

11.  Par 3

12.  274, extremely straight and did not move an inch

13.  259, fairway bunker got me on the right side.  it protrudes and usually gets right handers.  It got me on that one.  But it was straight.  There is danger on the left, so I aim a little right.  Just too much right.

14.  283.  Just in the right rough.  Slight draw motion to it.  There are nasty trees on the left so I aim right as the right hand trees are not so nasty (i.e., fewer of them)

15.  Par 3

16.  266.  fairway.  This one goes south and the south wind is up there since it is hot

17.  270.  Right rough a couple of yards - killed roll.  Slight draw action, nothing much.  Maybe 5 yards.  I aim right on this hole.  Trees on the left are nasty, ones on the right i can work with.

18.  271.  Fairway.  Ditto of 16 comment.

 

Second nine (front 9 of my usual course).  Par 35, Score 34. 3 birdies, 2 bogies, rest pars.  1.3 putts per hole.  12 putts. 4/9 GIR.

 

1.  272.  Right rough about 5 yards in.  The hole slopes that way.  Straight.  There is danger on both sides, but I prefer being in the right side, which is a clear shot whereas the left you get trees blocking you.

2.  Par 3

3.  299.  Fairway.  Into the wind.  The left dash really excels at cutting wind by the way. 

4.  315.  Fairway.  With wind.

5.  Par 4, but use a 6 iron on that one.  Funky hole.  Driver is generally bad choice.  Danger in every direction.

6.  Par 3

7.  309.  Fairway.  With wind.  Miss the green, but on fringe.  Deep because the green doesn't hold and also wind with me.  Drain 75 foot putt from the fringe.

8.  283.  Right rough barely.  Into wind.

9.  Par 3

 

First 9 average was 265.  Second 9 was 296.  Between the two rounds, 278 average.  Prior Garmin average was 274.

 

So, observations.  First, the TSi4 is more forgiving that one would otherwise think.  Second, it does what it says -- spin had to be considerably less just judging ball flight with was considerably different (penetrating the wind, no spinups).  Third, leaving the weight that is a -4 weight in it seems to please the autoflex.  Fourth, TSi4 sounds slightly different than TSi3 (TSi4 being more "thuddy").  Fifth, this course has lot of going down then up holes, which kills rolls in general because it is almost always uphill where the ball lands.  Sixth, aside from the inaugural shot that legit sliced, it did not fade.  So, considering that, I am very pleased.  Still at 47", Jumbomax Tour Medium.  Smooth transition required.  Anything abrupt is no bueno.  If you can be smooth, it will almost hammer it straight and long on its own - just be smooth in the transition.  Side benefit - since it requires smooth tempo/transition, that filters itself down to the irons.  Since the autoflex, I have had very good iron play as a side benefit, which I'm sure is direct result of the smooth transition thing.

 

TL:DR TSi4 pairs well with autoflex.  If TSi3 too spinny, try the TSi4.  Noticeable difference.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 12:29 AM, My2Dogs said:

Give it a go and let us know how it goes.  

 

 

So I went ahead and found an LL flex shaft at 47 grams.  I cut it to play longer (about 46.5 inches) and lightened the headweight, much like many in this thread are saying with the autoflex.  I had 2 good player hit it, with no context or understanding of the experiment.  

 
Shockingly, both saw increases in ball and club speed.  Both saw a slight increase in spin (but nothing like I figured would happen), and both were able to control it fine (they did not miss left and right).  It took a few swings for them to get used to it and how flexible it was.  But once they did, it seems like they were getting the exact results being described here for “autoflex”. 
 
Now, neither felt the increase in club head speed and distance was worth it, they really didn’t “like” hitting it becuase they both felt like they would lose control because of the flexibilty, but they also both acknowledged on the monitor, neither actually DID lose control, it was just their perception.  They also both said it felt “effortless” to hit those speed numbers, like the shaft was doing all the work and they just had to stay smooth.  But both players are scratch/+ handicaps, so they don’t really need more speed if it introduces uncertainty, even if it’s just in their minds.  
 
For those who have autofloex, someone should grab a LL flex shaft and try a side by side experiment.  I don’t have autoflex in house, so i can’t do that experiment.  But the initial testing has me leaning toward the conclusion “there’s nothing special” about autoflex, it’s just a lightweight, highly flexible shaft.  Blasphemy I know when one is a $750 option and the other is about $39.
Edited by clinkinfo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@clinkinfo  In my opinion you need to get them on the course with that shaft and see how it works in actual play.  Launch monitor vs on course is very different.  That is where a meaningful comparison needs to happen.  I'd be really interested to see somebody do that.  What LL flex shaft did you end up using?  

SIM2 Autoflex 505
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Sub70 5 hybrid or Mavrik 7 wood

Apex 21 irons  5-gap 
54* SM8
Sub70 JB low bounce 58*
PXG Operator H

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did a slightly different experiment with same length and weight as autoflex but with a more standard x flex, Aldila Rogue Elite Blue 55x. Another member (green) and I (blue) had another thread going with some more detailed results that people can look up if they want more. 

 

The long story short I was having trouble trying to swing faster while smooth with the autoflex to keep it consistently straight. I found the Aldila Rogue Elite Blue 55x for ~$60 I think. I played both Aldila (55g) and Autoflex 505x (54g) at 46". I found I could be aggressive again with the Aldila but probably 5-10 yards shorter than the autoflex. My original gamer was a Diamana blueboard 65x 45.75" around 107mph club head speed. Carry numbers based on good strikes using a laser on the course Diamana ~250, Aldila ~260, Autoflex ~265-270. All paired with a Sim1 8 degree head 201g including adapter but with the Autoflex I dropped 7grams of headweight to 194g including adapter.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

 

 

So I went ahead and found an LL flex shaft at 47 grams.  I cut it to play longer (about 46.5 inches) and lightened the headweight, much like many in this thread are saying with the autoflex.  I had 2 good player hit it, with no context or understanding of the experiment.  

 
Shockingly, both saw increases in ball and club speed.  Both saw a slight increase in spin (but nothing like I figured would happen), and both were able to control it fine (they did not miss left and right).  It took a few swings for them to get used to it and how flexible it was.  But once they did, it seems like they were getting the exact results being described here for “autoflex”. 
 
Now, neither felt the increase in club head speed and distance was worth it, they really didn’t “like” hitting it becuase they both felt like they would lose control because of the flexibilty, but they also both acknowledged on the monitor, neither actually DID lose control, it was just their perception.  They also both said it felt “effortless” to hit those speed numbers, like the shaft was doing all the work and they just had to stay smooth.  But both players are scratch/+ handicaps, so they don’t really need more speed if it introduces uncertainty, even if it’s just in their minds.  
 
For those who have autofloex, someone should grab a LL flex shaft and try a side by side experiment.  I don’t have autoflex in house, so i can’t do that experiment.  But the initial testing has me leaning toward the conclusion “there’s nothing special” about autoflex, it’s just a lightweight, highly flexible shaft.  Blasphemy I know when one is a $750 option and the other is about $39.

 

NM.. 

Edited by oo1oo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you guys are weighing driver heads. Are you taking into consideration of the adapter and screw or just the head itself? I have a Titleist TSI2 that weight 187 with no weight. But the adapter weighs 8 and screw is 1. So total head weight without any weights in my driver is 196 grams.   I have the 505x.   Is that how I want to run it? No weight in the driver at all? Looks like 3 gram is the lightest weight I can find which would put me up to 199 grams 

IG: golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Cobra F9 3 Wood
Titleist 818 H1 19° Hybrid
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Cleveland RTX4 50°, 54°, 58°
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, larryd3 said:

@clinkinfo  In my opinion you need to get them on the course with that shaft and see how it works in actual play.  Launch monitor vs on course is very different.  That is where a meaningful comparison needs to happen.  I'd be really interested to see somebody do that.  What LL flex shaft did you end up using?  


 

so the original that I had cited in a prior thread was discontinued.  I ended up using an alpha platinum 45 which I guess comes out of the same factory per the supplier.

 

Like enfuego sorta said in his post, neither of them really liked it because they felt they wouldn’t trust it in competition. They aren’t the right target either, neither really “‘needs” more distance, especially if it comes at the expense of consistency.    So even though the monitor was really saying dispersion was fine, it just doesn’t feel like that when you waggle and feel how soft it feels.  Anyone who’s played for a while, right or wrong, has the perception that kind of flexibility leads to erratic results.  I think maybe for some it does, but others who are really smooth it does not.  
 

‘I have no idea “what” autoflex really is, but it would be interesting if it was just a really comparable LL flex shaft that a marketing team has finally convinced real golfers to try by putting a huge price tag on it.  

Edited by clinkinfo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, clinkinfo said:

So even though the monitor was really saying dispersion was fine, it just doesn’t feel like that when you waggle and feel how soft it feels.  Anyone who’s played for a while, right or wrong, has the perception that kind of flexibility leads to erratic results.  

That's all good, but results on the actual course are what matters.  I have been burned far too many times with launch monitors that they don't hold water.  I bet a lot of us here have been burned by monitors.  I want to see actual flight.  I don't mean to offend with that. 

 

I had the same feeling when i first got it -- that it was whippy.  In slow motion, like waggles, it sure is.  But, it is stable during the swing.  The waggle thing doesn't even register in my mind anymore.  I will continue to say that if your swing, in particular the transition, is not smooth, it will not be a good purchase.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Lasorcier said:

That's all good, but results on the actual course are what matters.  I have been burned far too many times with launch monitors that they don't hold water.  I bet a lot of us here have been burned by monitors.  I want to see actual flight.  I don't mean to offend with that. 

 

I had the same feeling when i first got it -- that it was whippy.  In slow motion, like waggles, it sure is.  But, it is stable during the swing.  The waggle thing doesn't even register in my mind anymore.  I will continue to say that if your swing, in particular the transition, is not smooth, it will not be a good purchase.

 

 


 

that’s fine that you don’t trust monitors, but younger, better players generally do.  LM numbers are not “the end all be all” but both these players are very confident with translations from monitors to course.  So I don’t know what it is you want to see?  Based on past time with these guys, the course flight will match what we are seeing on the LM.

 

they just don’t like it and don’t think it’s worth the couple mph gain for when those transitions get fast under pressure.  If they loved it we’d move on course, but….they don’t.

 

But this was never about fitting them.  I just wanted to see if “autoflex” is nothing more than a whippy LL flex shaft with a huge price tag (like the flex test earlier in the thread might have been implying).  I still don’t know because I don’t have an AF and this is only 2 people, but I was surprised to see similar results with the LL.  I really thought it wouldn’t work at all.  I’m simply curious if the question isn’t are “autoflex” shafts stable in swing, perhaps the better question is are ALL shafts really stable in swing?  There are some other YouTube video tests on flex and weight that would support the later idea that all of them are stable in swing. 
 

but again, I have no idea.  I’m just fooling around with a light, flexible shaft to see what happens.  

Edited by clinkinfo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's not so much a trust of the launch monitor issue; when you take it to the course you are playing several shots with different clubs and sometimes even several holes in between hitting driver shots.

 

That's quite different to the testing/fitting environment where you can get into a groove hitting the same club over and over.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I think it's not so much a trust of the launch monitor issue; when you take it to the course you are playing several shots with different clubs and sometimes even several holes in between hitting driver shots.

 

That's quite different to the testing/fitting environment where you can get into a groove hitting the same club over and over.


but what does that have to do with figuring out if autoflex is really just a super soft flexible shaft?  I guess I just don’t understand the relevance.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, clinkinfo said:


but what does that have to do with figuring out if autoflex is really just a super soft flexible shaft?  I guess I just don’t understand the relevance.  


Not much, I think there has been a bit of talking at cross-purposes. Definitely worth testing a soft flexible shaft vs AF and testing both on course.

 

Can get into a groove hitting soft light stuff repeatedly on a LM but going to be trickier on a course when hitting other clubs in between that likely have a much heavier static and swing weight (ie the driver won’t match the rest of the bag)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:


Not much, I think there has been a bit of talking at cross-purposes. Definitely worth testing a soft flexible shaft vs AF and testing both on course.

 

Can get into a groove hitting soft light stuff repeatedly on a LM but going to be trickier on a course when hitting other clubs in between that likely have a much heavier static and swing weight (ie the driver won’t match the rest of the bag)

 

 

The swing weight point is a good one.  It wouldn't match their other swing weights.  But then neither would autoflex, right?  To me it kinda summarizes like this:

 

There are many many YouTube reviewers who have been trying to create videos for the last year+ that show the golf shaft(weight, flex, etc) we choose really has very little impact. This is challenging to our psyche as long term golfers. We as golfers have been marketed to for so long that it's really hard for us to accept that it's even a possibility.  Some of us believe golf shafts are everything, but the YouTube testing over the year(s) should at minimum challenge that idea.  There are other threads discussing and fighting about this testing, so I'll leave it there.

 

Next, along comes "autofloex".  a strange light flexible shaft that they want almost $800 for.  So someone took that shaft and put it on a bend profile reader.  They ended up concluding this was the bend profile for a shaft that's fitted to a sub-70mph driver swing speed.    Ok, not super specific, but an interesting data point, and because it's really light, we can play it over length and still get good swing weights.

 

So I took a sub-70mph driver golf shaft and did all the same things the folks are talking about in here doing to autoflex.  Lightened the head, let it play over length, etc.  I thought it would be a disaster.  But surprisingly, I got very similar results with 2 players to what's being described here for autoflex.  

 

Is it possible that autoflex is simply a super light, super flexible shaft painted pink with a crazy MSRP that makes it seem legitimate to serious golfers?  Have we as golfers always been playing shafts that are too stiff and the benefits of autoflex are really because those same players should have been playing lighter flexes all along?  I don't know, but that's what sparked my initial curiosity.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

Is it possible that autoflex is simply a super light, super flexible shaft painted pink with a crazy MSRP that makes it seem legitimate to serious golfers?  Have we as golfers always been playing shafts that are too stiff and the benefits of autoflex are really because those same players should have been playing lighter flexes all along?  I don't know, but that's what sparked my initial curiosity.  

 

So I already posted this video in this thread but in a different context

(1) AutoFlex vs Grand Bassara Ultralite Graphite Shaft - YouTube

 

There isn't a ton available to compare but this suggests it's a bit more than that and you really need both shafts to compare. I'm also dubious that it's just a lightweight shaft as if it were that simple you would imagine someone would have already come out with a competing product. I actually suspect there are two things going on:

 

1. In general lighter shafts would probably boost most people's swings. Crossfield did some videos about this too, so I think there are gains to be made.

2.I also assume there is a difference between what the autoflex does. It's much more flexible than any lightweight shaft I've hit and far too accurate to just be a light shaft painted pink.

 

BTW the guy who made this video also has one where he cuts it open. There's some kind of strange cross weave at the tip suggesting they did "something" to it. How much it helps is a different story.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Titelist U510  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

5: Mizuno MP20 HMB  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

PW-6: Mizuno MP20  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

Wedges: SM8 60,56,52  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      • 25 replies
    • 2021 BMW Championship - Discussion and Links
      Put any questions of comments here
       
       
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #7
       
       
      Cameron T-11 & T-11.5 putters at 2021 BMW Championship
      Mizuno Pro FliHi and 225 irons - 2021 BMW CHampionship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Ping i59 irons & Glide Forged wedges in hand comparison pics!!!
      In hand pics of the new 2021 Ping i59 irons and Glide Forged wedges...
       

       
      Ping i59 7 iron
       

       
       
      Ping i59 PW
       

       
      Ping i59 Comparison Photos

       

       

       

       
       
       
       
      PING Glide Forged Wedges

       
      Ping Glide Eye Toe Wedge
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 98 replies
    • 2021 The Northern Trust - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #1
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #2
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #3
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #4
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #5
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #6
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #7
       
       
      New Cameron for JT - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Cameron putters for Garrick Higgo - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Odyssey putter covers - 2021 The Northern Trust
       
       
      • 6 replies

×
×
  • Create New...