KHT Autoflex shaft

chocolate_rehab

1 hour ago, hurley999s said:

Unfortunately he’s a ways a way from me, past Philly near NJ so wouldn’t be able to swing a live demo anytime soon, but good to know someone somewhat local who sells them though. 

You're welcome, he's always happy to chat over the phone as well for recommendations and any questions you may have.

4 hours ago, hurley999s said:

Yeah I’m not concerned with the feel of the XX being too much…I go back and forth between a Rogue White 130 70TX and Raijin Black 65TX in driver and tipped 80g class in 3W.

I was more on the fence after reading some people having better numbers with X. Who knows though, with the lighter weight head and AF, maybe I’ll be cruising at 120+ so XX would be optimal. That’s my thinking anyway so going to start there first and see what happens. 

100%

At your speed, I wouldn’t even look at the X as an option. I’m all over the place with the X and hit my longest drives so far with the XX at 45.5”. Strangely, my dispersion is as good at 46.5” but with no real distance gains. I’m going to test it at 48” this weekend and see if I can unlock more distance without losing dispersion. If not, I’m going back to 45.5” and calling it a day  with a 202g total weight head and 1/2” tipping. 

• Thanks 1

edit: well now I'm going to try an SF505, sooooooo we'll see.

Edited by chocolate_rehab
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

2 hours ago, jgard320 said:

100%

At your speed, I wouldn’t even look at the X as an option. I’m all over the place with the X and hit my longest drives so far with the XX at 45.5”. Strangely, my dispersion is as good at 46.5” but with no real distance gains. I’m going to test it at 48” this weekend and see if I can unlock more distance without losing dispersion. If not, I’m going back to 45.5” and calling it a day  with a 202g total weight head and 1/2” tipping. 

Appreciate the feedback. XX was what I was originally thinking, then after getting through nearly 50 pages I started to over complicate things in my head! Gotta keep it simple and see what the results are. 

13 minutes ago, hurley999s said:

Appreciate the feedback. XX was what I was originally thinking, then after getting through nearly 50 pages I started to over complicate things in my head! Gotta keep it simple and see what the results are. 

No problem. I didn’t mean to sound too absolute, but I think a lot of the problems people had getting these to fit were because the original manufacturers recommendations were  for no tipping and the 505x up to 120-130 and 505xx was for the 130+ guys. They’ve since bumped down to 505xx for 110+ with all of the feedback that has since been provided. I think the 505x can work, but you have to really start to force things dialing it in if you’re a big hitter. I walked away from autoflex entirely because of the 505x, tried the 505xx on a whim, and was hitting more fairways than ever with 5 minutes of tinkering. 

9 minutes ago, jgard320 said:

No problem. I didn’t mean to sound too absolute, but I think a lot of the problems people had getting these to fit were because the original manufacturers recommendations were  for no tipping and the 505x up to 120-130 and 505xx was for the 130+ guys. They’ve since bumped down to 505xx for 110+ with all of the feedback that has since been provided. I think the 505x can work, but you have to really start to force things dialing it in if you’re a big hitter. I walked away from autoflex entirely because of the 505x, tried the 505xx on a whim, and was hitting more fairways than ever with 5 minutes of tinkering. 

No, I appreciate it and that’s exactly what happened to me by reading the entire thread over a couple days instead of the 9-10 months it was active…I recalled a lot of the initial confusion around flex and swing speed recos and it was just information overload for me.

Granted, I could be an exception to the norm here (or neither of them may work for me at all), but I’m comfortable now that my initial starting place should be the XX

13 hours ago, jgard320 said:

100%

So I went out today and played.  Prob shouldn’t as I have a surgery set now for Aug 20th, once again for my left kidney.  Same one I had surgery twice last Nov.  but whatever, I’m a WRX’er and figured I might not be able to play for a while and will have to rework the swing for a 3rd time in a year.  

So I played and added more weight to the Mavrik (has hot melt forward to reduce spin as it plays like the sub zero but with the forgiveness of the Mavrik). Currently waiting on the sliding weights for the Epic Max LS.  Got it up to 201g with the XX.  Was missing both ways as it wasn’t as stable for me at 201g as it was at 198g.  I swapped it back to 198g at the turn and once again started striping it.  The course was really wet as they are trying to not let it burn in the heat.  So humidity was up, smoky as hell due to the fires out here in CA and wet fairways.  I mean muddy in lots of places.  Had 3 drives straight plug where I’m barely seeing 1/2 the ball or in one case the entire ball was under and we almost drove over it in the fairway. .  Did not get roll except for 2 tee shots and both were 3 woods.  All drivers basically stopped next to their pitch mark but I was hitting some bombs.  Put the GPS on the last 3 as I started really dialing it in.  Went 295, 298 and 299 carry on the last 3.  No roll 😂.  

It’s crazy that I had that much difference in dispersion with 3 extra grams but my ideal weight on the XX is 198g playing at 46.  Love it.  Now on the SF505X for the 3 wood,  hit one off the tee with roll that went 285.  Crushed it so I do really like it in the 3 wood.  SF505X tipped 1/2 inch playing at 43 inches.  

Going to try and play Sunday as I want to play as much as I can until surgery.  I have not hit my Single Diamond Mavrik since I moved to the Epic Max LS and the XX but might bring that on Sunday and see how it compares.  When I got home the extra sliding weights came in and I’ve already added a 5g sliding weight to get the Max LS up to 199g.  I will have to add heavier weights to the Single as it’s at 192g when I was hitting it with the SF505X.  That’s when I got my fastest consistent swing speed at 116-117 and fastest ball speeds at 165-167 (both using range balls and my Mevo).  I have to figure I reached or surpassed those numbers to get the carry distances I did today. 

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Went out today instead as tomorrow ive got a laundry list of honey do’s.  I was very disappointed.  My extra sliding weights came in and I swapped out the Mavrik for the Max LS and added a second 5g slider to the current one.  Thought it was perfect as it came in at 199g.  

Even though I purchased from a US seller those weights are from China and are crap.  On the first hole I missed right, not by much but it spun up and I was right by about 20 yards.  Luckily first hole is pretty open so no big deal.  I chalked it up to being sore, tired, first hole, etc.  the guys in front (4 some) saw my drive as they were all over the place and let my buddy and I go through on the 2nd.  They had already teed off so we hurried up and hit.  I hit one that sliced so far right it went OB onto a roof.  Yikes!  I’ve never hit a home on this course before in 10 years.  I felt really embarrassed and tried to quickly tee a 2nd.  Well it went even more right and I missed the homes completely and I’m in someone’s front yard.  My buddy said to just pick up and get to hole 3.

tried to tee off again and again right.  I’m thinking somethings wrong with my swing.  So I swap drivers and hit the Sim2 as I put in the Ventus Red tipped 1.5inches.  Bomb it right down the middle.

play 2 more holes and get some space and pull out the Max LS.  I see the 2nd weight has moved from where I had set it.  It’s now just sliding back and forth and I can’t even tighten it.  I try to loosen it up and it won’t even come off.  The wrench is just turning without doing anything.  So I get my pocket knife and pop it out and all 3 pieces fly out (top and bottom weight and the screw). Put the other weight back in the middle and swing away.  No issues at all.  Bombing it.  Again crazy that a 5g weight can cause this.  On the weight that I popped out, screw is not striped as I put all pieces back together and tightened the screw so they would stay and just put it in a bag.  

BTW- I hit multiple drives on 9 holes after, one with the Max LS and one with the Sim2.  Swapped balls from the TP5X and Left Dash Pro V1X in case one ball might be performing better than the other.  The Red is def really nice and being tipped that much it was much stiffer than the Black 6X I normally hit.  However on every hole, the AF was longer and just as accurate.  I didn’t get the same distance today with the Max LS as yesterday with the Mavrik and I think it was due to the extra weight I added to the Mavrik. I’m going to add some lead tape as that’s easy to add and won’t move during the swing and then I will know if it the XX is just as long in the Max LS as in the Mavrik.  Currently Max LS is 194g and Mavrik is 198g. 

• Like 1

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

42 minutes ago, m_w said:

Anyone have the head weights of a Ping G425 LST and Mizuno ST-Z? Thanks

My Mizuno ST-Z is 199g.  I believe the 410LST is very close to the weight of the 425LST and my 410LST is 202g. 

PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 7/22/2021 at 7:52 AM, oo1oo said:

195gram when I weighed it. 

I have moved on from Sim to Sim2.  I have played with many different weight settings with Sim, lighter front or back.  Standard weight is in Sim is differently too heavy.  I purchased a Sim 2 head and the 8 gram back weight.  After a few rounds and a few range sessions, the Sim 2 standard weight works better for me also.  It weights 195 gram, seems to be a lighter head compare to other brand of drivers?

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

12 hours ago, jgard320 said:

Are you counting the adapter weight into your measurments or are they just the heads themselves?

Head and screw, no adapter. 

PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 8/6/2021 at 3:25 PM, chocolate_rehab said:

I'm at 95 - 98mph generally and have been very happy with the SF405. I'm not a smooth swinger, either. I play stiff irons and fairway shafts. I ordered mine and chatted with the distributor - my swing speed fell into the suggested range for 405 and that's what I went with.

Just wanted to throw a data point out there as it seems everyone is trying to get XXXXXStiff when it might not be necessary (obviously not talking to those in the 110+ mph bracket).

I agree 100%. The whole idea with this shaft is get the shaft that fits your speed, not to get the one that is stiffer so it can handle an aggressive transition. I have one of the world's most violent transitions, and after trying a couple AF flexes, the one that worked for me was the one that was rated for my swing speed.

Recently, I started spraying my driver around, and thought I was just overpowering this soft AF shaft. So I got a Fuji Ventus that was rated for my speed, launch etc. The Ventus was a nice shaft, but I was spraying that thing too. I looked at some vids of my driver swing and it was horrific. I got my swing back in order, and started crushing the AF again. With the better swing, the Ventus was good, but it could not keep up with the AF.

• Like 2

I just honestly love the feeling of the load and boom of the 405. No reason for me to even try the 505, on good hits I can get my drives out to 250-260+ with roll which is really fantastic for me.

I will say, when the head and SW was a little too heavy I had issues with high right pushes and slices. Once the SW came down to C9/D0 it was night and day.

Edited by chocolate_rehab
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

On 7/21/2021 at 9:44 AM, aseges said:

Anyone have any recommendations on how to get the autoflex to work well with a TSI3 Driver? What weights to use in the back? Any suggestions? I just got my autoflex 505 x, swing speed on launch monitor around 110. 

Thanks in advance

I would be interested in hearing others thoughts on this as well. I just started messing with a 46” 505 in a TSi3 and TSi2. TSi3 weighs 194 g with 8 g weight and TSi2 weighs 196 g.   Current gamer is TSi2 with a Velocore red 5s at 45.75”. 

Edited by jtmagic

2 hours ago, DLiver said:

I agree 100%. The whole idea with this shaft is get the shaft that fits your speed, not to get the one that is stiffer so it can handle an aggressive transition. I have one of the world's most violent transitions, and after trying a couple AF flexes, the one that worked for me was the one that was rated for my swing speed.

Recently, I started spraying my driver around, and thought I was just overpowering this soft AF shaft. So I got a Fuji Ventus that was rated for my speed, launch etc. The Ventus was a nice shaft, but I was spraying that thing too. I looked at some vids of my driver swing and it was horrific. I got my swing back in order, and started crushing the AF again. With the better swing, the Ventus was good, but it could not keep up with the AF.

Well my SS puts me in the 405. I couldn't keep that thing on the planet, everything was WAY RIGHT. Got the 505 and it is the straightest shaft I have ever hit.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

3 hours ago, jtmagic said:

I would be interested in hearing others thoughts on this as well. I just started messing with a 46” 505 in a TSi3 and TSi2. TSi2 weighs 194 g with 8 g weight and TSi2 weighs 196 g.   Current gamer is TSi2 with a Velocore red 5s at 45.75”. 

I have a TSi3 and TSi4 but haven’t got around to testing with either yet.  Still was working through the heavier weight in the XX.  Once I’m recovered from my procedure on the 20th,  I’ll be testing the Epic Speed TD LS and the TSi4.  I had the TSi4 ready to test when the tipped Ventus Red 6X finally arrived so didn’t get a chance to hit it.  

I did Initially weigh the TSi3 and TSi4 and from memory they came in around 194-195g.  I was going to put both in the SF505X but with the experiment of adding extra weight and hitting the XX really well, I was going to add a couple strips of lead tape and get them up to around 198g.  When I test I will bring out the X before adding the lead tape.  Going to be a few weeks at least before I can test though. 

• Thanks 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

12 hours ago, DLiver said:

The problem with taking the recommendations as a gold standard is that they have changed tremendously since the initial release. The 505xx was originally touted as for 130+ but now it's recommended for 110+.

I wouldn't say the point is to get the recommendation for your swing speed so much as the point is to increase swing speed through less weight and possibly more length. The materials used help stabilize the shaft despite it being objectively way too soft for anyone swinging it. The 505x I had measured was comparable to a ladies flex and the 505xx was measured by Russ Ryden to be a stiff 53g grand bassara, which is a notoriously light and soft shaft. 

What I think the real point of everything with this shaft shows is that, due to advances in materials, we no longer need to play heavy tx shafts for control anymore. I used to be around 120 but I'm about 112 on the course now and the properly tipped xx is giving me extreme consistency. I've even moved on to 70g fujikura practice ultra flexible shafts in my irons in a single length set up. 

Makes me wonder how much time I've wasted swinging out of my shoes trying to load 130g xflex iron shafts and 70/80 tx wood shafts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jtmagic said:

I would be interested in hearing others thoughts on this as well. I just started messing with a 46” 505 in a TSi3 and TSi2. TSi2 weighs 194 g with 8 g weight and TSi2 weighs 196 g.   Current gamer is TSi2 with a Velocore red 5s at 45.75”. 

I have mine at 192g with screw no adapter playing at 44.5". I can't remember what weight I ended up going with to get there because I swapped out so many times. Also no idea on swing weight. I stopped measuring SW on this thing since I use a 100g jumbomax wrap. 

Honestly the tsi3 at the length i play was pretty close to perfect stock. I'm 105mph using the 505x and I'm now driving short par 4s that I used to be 40 yards short on for years.  

• Thanks 1

46.5" provided no noticable distance advantage over 45.75". 48" did lead to significantly greater overall distance but, as predicted, it was difficult to control on course. Seems like I've found my diminishing returns point and won't end up over 45.75. I'm going to try 45.5" now to see if I gain even more control over the 45.75-46.5 range. I'll ultimately settle at the shortest length that doesn't cost me distance. 

I noticed that dude on txg hits up on the ball at 4* pga tour average says -1.5* or something. Are tour players really hitting down on the ball that much on their drivers? Or is it a different stat that's showing on pgatour.com

Most I've seen with this shaft is some people are spinning it too much but others it's not any more spinny than other shafts tested, must be a particular swing type that doesnt get the value in this shaft.  

I played the accuflex vision 55 shaftfor a long time went through two of them, was very light very stable and 40 bucks. Having a driver that you can hit when your swing feels sluggish is a big advantage for average player imo.  

750 is of course an absurd price but all of you on here buy up 400 dollar shafts left and right it's just the same as buying two.

Edited by Beavis1846

This thread is great, I love reading about the experiments and results. How I have managed to stay away from buying one is a mystery, it seems to be right in my wheelhouse to gain some distance with my lower SS.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

Well I got out today as it might be my final round for a while.  Took out the Epic Speed TD LS with the AFXX.  I had to add heavier weights as the head originally came in at 190g.  So I got it up to 198g.  Really nice feeling and I was able to hit a nice draw with it.  Really muggy and humid due to the fires just filling the sky and being so hot the courses are watering everything like crazy.  Absolutely no roll.  Every tee shot except 1 landed and then bounced backward a foot or so.  Even my 3 wood shots.   Muddy everywhere.  Teed it lower to get lower launch and try to get some roll.  Still nothing, in fact carry was around 260-265 and no roll.  So I just played what the course had, teed it higher and got an average of 280 carry.  

I also took out the Ventus Black 5X as I wanted to see if the lighter weight would allow it to keep up with the AF more than the 6X.  Hit it 3 times and it was feeling great, launch was good and so was distance.  Then on the 4th hit, I had hit the ball and the head flew off and went about 50-60 yards in front of me into a ditch.  I looked at the shaft and it did not break.  The sleeve is still in the Sim2 head as it seems the glue didn’t hold or the person I purchased the shaft from did a terrible job (purchased new from a member who cut it to spec for me).  First time I purchased from them.  Luckily I found the head as I had to look through some really tall and thorny bushes.  Added a photo of the shaft.  Wish I had more time to really compare as it was going well.  

D5FE311F-5E94-4AF4-8C43-E9C0F0875CEF.jpeg

• Sad 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Pulling for Branden Grace with Autoflex in the 6 men playoff, almost...

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

22 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

Well I got out today as it might be my final round for a while.  Took out the Epic Speed TD LS with the AFXX.  I had to add heavier weights as the head originally came in at 190g.  So I got it up to 198g.  Really nice feeling and I was able to hit a nice draw with it.  Really muggy and humid due to the fires just filling the sky and being so hot the courses are watering everything like crazy.  Absolutely no roll.  Every tee shot except 1 landed and then bounced backward a foot or so.  Even my 3 wood shots.   Muddy everywhere.  Teed it lower to get lower launch and try to get some roll.  Still nothing, in fact carry was around 260-265 and no roll.  So I just played what the course had, teed it higher and got an average of 280 carry.  

I also took out the Ventus Black 5X as I wanted to see if the lighter weight would allow it to keep up with the AF more than the 6X.  Hit it 3 times and it was feeling great, launch was good and so was distance.  Then on the 4th hit, I had hit the ball and the head flew off and went about 50-60 yards in front of me into a ditch.  I looked at the shaft and it did not break.  The sleeve is still in the Sim2 head as it seems the glue didn’t hold or the person I purchased the shaft from did a terrible job (purchased new from a member who cut it to spec for me).  First time I purchased from them.  Luckily I found the head as I had to look through some really tall and thorny bushes.  Added a photo of the shaft.  Wish I had more time to really compare as it was going well.  

D5FE311F-5E94-4AF4-8C43-E9C0F0875CEF.jpeg

Wow that’s an unfortunate end to the round there. At least the shaft wasn’t broken and from the sound of it, the heads in good shape. 

BTW what length are you playing the XX at? I ended up getting mine and took some initial swings at raw length. SIM 8 head and tried it removing the front weight and stock. 

Initial impressions: feels like a noodle, and like others have said, it does feel stable in the downswing though. Dispersion is a bit tighter, and some increase in CHS/BS, but I’d say that’s to be expected playing a 47”+ driver. Spin is way up though (2900-3300) so on the simulator, I’m not getting any roll out. I’m guessing the length is at play here causing inconsistent strikes, and especially low on the face. Definitely want to go shorter, but trying to determine what length will work best because I only want to remove the grip, cut, and regrip once 

On 8/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, Jim53 said:

This thread is great, I love reading about the experiments and results. How I have managed to stay away from buying one is a mystery, it seems to be right in my wheelhouse to gain some distance with my lower SS.

We will eventually get you to capitulate.

For me it is about 15 yards deeper using a normal smooth swing.  I don't even care about that though.  The dispersion it produces is worth it alone.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hurley999s said:

Wow that’s an unfortunate end to the round there. At least the shaft wasn’t broken and from the sound of it, the heads in good shape. 

BTW what length are you playing the XX at? I ended up getting mine and took some initial swings at raw length. SIM 8 head and tried it removing the front weight and stock. 

Initial impressions: feels like a noodle, and like others have said, it does feel stable in the downswing though. Dispersion is a bit tighter, and some increase in CHS/BS, but I’d say that’s to be expected playing a 47”+ driver. Spin is way up though (2900-3300) so on the simulator, I’m not getting any roll out. I’m guessing the length is at play here causing inconsistent strikes, and especially low on the face. Definitely want to go shorter, but trying to determine what length will work best because I only want to remove the grip, cut, and regrip once 

Playing 46”. 

PXG Hybrid stand bag

1 hour ago, hurley999s said:

@My2Dogs  just going through the thread again and saw you’ve got surgery this week. Best of luck and hope you’re on the road to recovery soon! 

Thanks.  Should be back soon.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag