2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

KHT Autoflex shaft

chocolate_rehab

Right here go’s……
Contemplating playing an auto flex is like going down a rabbit Warren! For example - which flex, what length, what swing weight, what head weight, what head etc etc. I have personally ventured down that rabbit Warren and I’ll tell you where im upto!
I’m lucky enough to have a sim room at home with TM4 so can do all my own testing.
I have a swing weight machine (bought to fine tune Autoflex shaft.)
My gamer is a Sim Max 2 with a Kuro Kage R flex shaft. Swing Weight C9 (maybe this was the secret formula?) This has been the best, most consistent driver I have ever used! My swing speed on TM is around 95-98MPH (98-101 on Quad) My good carry distances are between 235 and 240yards.

I bought a 2nd hand SF505 shaft with a Titleist tip with intentions to change the tip to Taylormade. Instead I bought a 2nd hand TSI3 driver with a stiff hzardus shaft. Did a test with this shaft but my gamer was much better.
I then put the 505 shaft in the TSI3. This played at 46.5” and with the 8g std weight taken out played at D2. (I believe ideal is D0 for the 505)
I hit the longest drives I have ever hit. My fastest swing was 102mph and a carry of 253 yards with a 272 total. All this being said the mishits were punishing. The only way to get this to D0 was to cut it down or add a heavier grip. I was advised by a club fitter that the length and the lack of weight in the head will contribute to the lack of forgiveness so on his judgement had it cut down to a 45.5” playing length. I then bought a 505X that’s a 45.5” playing length also to do a real good test against each other. I’ve got all the weights for the TSI3 head so have been able to test all kinds of swing weights.

I’m gutted to say this but I just can’t get anything to work now and so annoyed I cut the shaft down! The TSI3 head just doesn’t work for me! I should of just retipped the 505 shaft to put my gamer head on!
These are my thoughts now

•Do I sell both these shafts and give in?
•Do I re-tip both and try my gamer head but these will only play at 45” in a Sim 2 max head!
• Do I try them with a radspeed head as heard great things about them?
• Can I put an inch back on them?

Told you I went down a rabbit Warren!

Any advice would be welcomed………please help 😂

On 4/27/2021 at 3:08 PM, bigdog8211 said:

First off, just want to say thank you to everyone that has posted here, huge help, but also very costly!!!

Long story short, I purchased the 505 driver shaft this winter, tried it out in my PXG Proto and just couldn't get the slice out of it and the spin was way up on my simulator.  Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, purchased the 505x after more reading here (SS is 98-102, but typical aggressive transition at the top) and tried in the Proto again, little better, played with weights, but had a 2 way miss on the course so went back to my gamer shaft.  

Got bored last week and purchased a SIM2 Max driver off of here to play around with in the Autoflex 505x.  Got it in on Friday, knowing with the 26g weight it's going to be heavy for the shaft I put it on anyway, but had ordered some lighter rear weights. Anyway hit it on the simulator a few times, then played with it on Sat morning, the thing was dead straight, no slice, no draw.  Only time it went right or left was when I pulled or pushed, but they were all straight.  Played again after work last night and had the best driving round in a long time, probably ever.  This thing is just straight, so much so that I had to adjust knowing it's not going right (lots of OB right).  Tied my best round and averaged 8 more yards (using Arccos), but may more confident to hit full driver on a few holes I'd normally play 3 wood for accuracy.

Not sure if I'll play with the weights as this thing is dead straight.  Just wanted to share and say thanks for all the input here.

What playing length is it.

sounds a perfect fit for you.

Further update from my tinkering. The Mavrik Sub Zero was noticeably better than the Epic Max LS for me in terms of spin, trajectory and distance.

I decided to get a 10.5 Mavrik Sub Zero head which seems - for me - to be the winning combination with a 5g back weight. It's giving me less spin, more of an upwards angle of attack so more distance with the same penetrating trajectory.

This has all been done on Trackman thus far, first round on the course is scheduled for Friday.

Anyone else notice this: when I slow the backswing I hit the AF well.  If I get quick with the backswing it kicks weirdly at impact and the shots are all over the place?  For me it seems to all be about tempo.  I can play the Ventus blk 6x with a quick backswing and still hit it good.  

I have an SF505XX for driver with a sim1 head, then also an SF505XX for 3w with a sim titanium.  

Edited by jus4kiks

I haven't noticed it with an AF as I don't have one yet, but I've always hit better shots with all my clubs with a slow take away and smooth transition.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

1 hour ago, jus4kiks said:

Anyone else notice this: when I slow the backswing I hit the AF well.  If I get quick with the backswing it kicks weirdly at impact and the shots are all over the place?  For me it seems to all be about tempo.  I can play the Ventus blk 6x with a quick backswing and still hit it good.  

I have an SF505XX for driver with a sim1 head, then also an SF505XX for 3w with a sim titanium.  

Yes, I have noticed the same.  Best results come from smooth backswing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FFEN said:

Hi Autoflexers...

From what we know, is there any head out there that ususally performs better than any other. The go to head to start with so to say...

I game the  505 and Tsi2 with no wheight in today. Not sure that this is the best setup though....

While I don’t have the answer for the single best head, I’ll share my experience given you are currently using a TSi2 which was my gamer (with red Ventus Velocore) prior to the AF experimentation.

I’ve tried 3 heads extensively with different weight configurations and the best to least performing for me with AF505 is Callaway Epic Max, TSi3, TSi2.  The TSi2 worked great for me with Ventus so that is where I started.  I could not get the spin down enough with AF no matter what I tried…thus distance suffered.  TSi3 brought spin down, increased distance, but occasionally resulted in a nasty hook when I otherwise would consistently hit a small fade.  This was in the bag for several months with good success. On a whim, I got a Callaway Epic Max to try.  Same distance as TSi3, occasional duck hook went away, slight fade went to straight ball (which took some alignment adjustment but is fine by me), spin is good, etc.  This is now my gamer and I have sold all the Titleist gear. 

For reference, I’m playing the AF505 at 46” and found 190-192 gram headweight works best for me.  This was pretty consistent across all 3 heads.  TSi2 with no weight was 186 g if I remember correctly and was too light for me.  Swing speed for AF is 3-6 mph higher than other shaft configurations I’ve tried, which is many. 

Hope this helps.

I tried the Maverick head with all different weights in it for all the online folks doing the same. I found it was too light to work. Mishits were all over and it was too hard to control. 

I put on my Ping G425 Max head. Standard weight in the back. Shaft is an SF405 at 46 inches. I BOMB this thing. I think the lightweight head is NOT the best option. It's too squirrly. Now the shaft loads very well and tracks back to the ball accurately. You definitely have to be unhurried with your transition. Feel it load, then go for it. It is very similar to the GForce trainer in this regard. However, the whip through impact is one of life's good feelings. This shaft is up to the task of heavier head weight. Thats the KHT is in my opinion. 

I have demoed the Autoflex with inconclusive results.

I know it is not for everyone and with the quick transition of my swing, Autoflex may be my version of  "skinny jeans".

That being said, a slower takeaway and a smoother transition are swing characteristics worth aspiring towards. Can an Autoflex shaft be looked at as a training aid to smooth out a driver swing?

Currently I play a Ping G425 Max 12 degree with a Tensei Orange 60 gram regular flex shaft. It is the most consistent club in my bag (I am long for my age and most of my playing partners say that off the tee is the strength of my game), but sometimes late in a round, I feel I am fighting the driver a little, due to fatigue (I am 60 years old).

The idea of having a lighter, more flexible shaft is intriguing especially if it allows me to be less fatigued with the driver late in a round.

When I demoed the Autoflex I was defintely longer, but my accuracy and spin/launch number were all over the place. Lowering the driver loft and head weights helped some, but accuracy/dispersion were still inconsistent.

Frankly, I don't like hitting into a screen and having the number read by a computer, I would rather just get on a range and experiment and see the ball flight for myself.

To that end, I am thinking of  just buying a shaft (or two) and start experimenting with club heads and weights.

Questions:
1. I have preferred Ping equipment over the years and love the G425 Max driver, but it has been stated here and other places that Ping club heads are heavier and may not be best suited for working with Autoflex.  Is Ping really not Autoflex friendly, and if so, which driver heads are more/most friendly?

2. My current swingspeed is 90-95 mph, so the Autoflex table indicates at 405. However, I have a quick transition and given the Autoflex's lighter weight, it is safe to assume my swing speed may increase. Given this, should I consider the 505?

While I currently drive the ball well, I am a tinkerer...and bored due to all the covid restrictions. Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

15 hours ago, njlam said:

I have demoed the Autoflex with inconclusive results.

I know it is not for everyone and with the quick transition of my swing, Autoflex may be my version of  "skinny jeans".

That being said, a slower takeaway and a smoother transition are swing characteristics worth aspiring towards. Can an Autoflex shaft be looked at as a training aid to smooth out a driver swing?

Currently I play a Ping G425 Max 12 degree with a Tensei Orange 60 gram regular flex shaft. It is the most consistent club in my bag (I am long for my age and most of my playing partners say that off the tee is the strength of my game), but sometimes late in a round, I feel I am fighting the driver a little, due to fatigue (I am 60 years old).

The idea of having a lighter, more flexible shaft is intriguing especially if it allows me to be less fatigued with the driver late in a round.

When I demoed the Autoflex I was defintely longer, but my accuracy and spin/launch number were all over the place. Lowering the driver loft and head weights helped some, but accuracy/dispersion were still inconsistent.

Frankly, I don't like hitting into a screen and having the number read by a computer, I would rather just get on a range and experiment and see the ball flight for myself.

To that end, I am thinking of  just buying a shaft (or two) and start experimenting with club heads and weights.

Questions:
1. I have preferred Ping equipment over the years and love the G425 Max driver, but it has been stated here and other places that Ping club heads are heavier and may not be best suited for working with Autoflex.  Is Ping really not Autoflex friendly, and if so, which driver heads are more/most friendly?

2. My current swingspeed is 90-95 mph, so the Autoflex table indicates at 405. However, I have a quick transition and given the Autoflex's lighter weight, it is safe to assume my swing speed may increase. Given this, should I consider the 505?

While I currently drive the ball well, I am a tinkerer...and bored due to all the covid restrictions. Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.

My SS is similar to yours, I average 94 at 64 years of age. Tried the 405 and was right, and way right almost every swing. I also have a quick transition and was recommended by the Autoflex guy to go with the 505. I did and it has been the straightest driver I have ever hit. When I do everything right it is also longer.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

4 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

My SS is similar to yours, I average 94 at 64 years of age. Tried the 405 and was right, and way right almost every swing. I also have a quick transition and was recommended by the Autoflex guy to go with the 505. I did and it has been the straightest driver I have ever hit. When I do everything right it is also longer.

Who is the Autoflex guy?

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

4 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

Who is the Autoflex guy?

I got mine from my2dogs here on the forum. After reading through all the pages and suggestions on the KHT Autoflex thread ( this was Dec 2020 ) I exchanged several PM's with him and he was right on the money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Has anyone put a Autoflex iron shaft in a hybrid?

Any good?  It seems like a bargain compared to Driver/fairway shaft.

Edited by shaolingolfer

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:37 PM, njlam said:

Questions:

Taylormade or Callaway tend to be the Autoflex friendly heads.  I played a Mavrik head when I had Autoflex, and having easily removable weights (front and back) made dialing it in a breeze.  I believe @My2Dogs also plays a Callaway head (or has certainly experimented with several) on his Autoflex.

TM heads tend to be relatively light IIRC.  I haven't tried adjusting the weight on my SIM2 though, so not sure it's quite as dialable.

I can't speak to your 2nd question.  I was swinging 115-120 when I was playing Autoflex iirc - and found the 505X too left biased (the most consistent miss data I've ever recorded in my Arccos).  I sold it to get an XX but never got around to it and have stopped speed training.  😕

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

34 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Taylormade or Callaway tend to be the Autoflex friendly heads.  I played a Mavrik head when I had Autoflex, and having easily removable weights (front and back) made dialing it in a breeze.  I believe @My2Dogs also plays a Callaway head (or has certainly experimented with several) on his Autoflex.

TM heads tend to be relatively light IIRC.  I haven't tried adjusting the weight on my SIM2 though, so not sure it's quite as dialable.

I can't speak to your 2nd question.  I was swinging 115-120 when I was playing Autoflex iirc - and found the 505X too left biased (the most consistent miss data I've ever recorded in my Arccos).  I sold it to get an XX but never got around to it and have stopped speed training.  😕

I’ve been able to dial in a TSi3, multiple and I mean multiple Callaway drivers, TM Sim2, Cobra Radspeed and a TSi4.

Cobra with the SF505X,  all others with a SF505XX.  I can get the Cobra dialed in as well on the XX but I had found a lighter weight and first tried the X and it worked great.  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

36 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

As for your second question about which shaft.  The heavier the shaft the easier it is to dial in the weight as you don’t have to go as light from what I’ve found out.  Pings have been notoriously heavy and I never tired, however with the XX I could hit a Ping now.  

the original Sim is also very easy to dial in because of the sliding weight and back weights were found everywhere.  

• Like 1

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 1/19/2022 at 8:52 AM, shaolingolfer said:

Has anyone put a Autoflex iron shaft in a hybrid?

Any good?  It seems like a bargain compared to Driver/fairway shaft.

When we were doing a couple of larger buys for WRX folk one of the guys did buy the hybrid.  Was the only person I ever knew who did.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Ball speed testing with SF505XX

Epic Speed 💎💎💎 set at 9.5*

Cobra LTD X LS at 10.5*

TM Stealth at 8.5*

E532CA5A-A6B5-4D1A-A2B7-9442B5D6C33B.jpeg.b44e5d91a5b70389e1934439c12a7733.jpeg

and the winner was…

737A8982-2493-4E39-9A19-2A30FB2A2C7D.jpeg.77021f24df9bc3d319095b042d6721a5.jpeg

Cobra LTD X LS 🏆

Gonna fine tune more today 

• Like 3

Rogue ST LS 💎💎💎 9* Autoflex SF505XX

Rogue ST LS #3 15* Autoflex SF505X
Callaway Apex UW 19* TourAD HD7X
TM P790 4i KBS cTaper 115 X

PRGR 00 irons 5-P KBS cTaper 120X
50*-10 Raw JAWS Forged S-grind Modus3 125S
54*-10 Raw JAWS Raw Forged C-grind Modus3 125S
58*-08 Raw JAWS Raw T-grind Modus3 125S
Toulon San Diego long slant neck limited edition 35”

On 1/29/2022 at 4:19 PM, st_pedro said:

Ball speed testing with SF505XX

Epic Speed 💎💎💎 set at 9.5*

Cobra LTD X LS at 10.5*

TM Stealth at 8.5*

E532CA5A-A6B5-4D1A-A2B7-9442B5D6C33B.jpeg.b44e5d91a5b70389e1934439c12a7733.jpeg

and the winner was…

737A8982-2493-4E39-9A19-2A30FB2A2C7D.jpeg.77021f24df9bc3d319095b042d6721a5.jpeg

Cobra LTD X LS 🏆

Gonna fine tune more today 

I’ve got the Cobra LS on the way.  How did it compare to the other 2?  I’ve got the Max LS and Epic Speed TD DS I haven’t tried yet.  Was interested in trying the Rogue ST Max LS but figured it might not be better than my TD DS so I went with the Cobra Ls instead.  Also what’s your swing speed?  That ball speed and spin should be getting more carry.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

1 hour ago, My2Dogs said:

I’ve got the Cobra LS on the way.  How did it compare to the other 2?  I’ve got the Max LS and Epic Speed TD DS I haven’t tried yet.  Was interested in trying the Rogue ST Max LS but figured it might not be better than my TD DS so I went with the Cobra Ls instead.  Also what’s your swing speed?  That ball speed and spin should be getting more carry.  

The quad shows meters, so around 312 yards

2 minutes ago, Leska said:

The quad shows meters, so around 312 yards

Sorry you’re correct.  Was looking at it with my phone and a smaller screen.  Hoping he responds with how the heads compared.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

9 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

Swing speed is 115mph on course cruising mode.

On the range will tend to try experiment and (rotate) swing faster, somewhere between 118mph all the way to 127mph depending on ball strike and of course dispersion and smash factor suffers.

61BA8C9D-95DA-4284-BB94-B8004A9D4755.jpeg.a3e19b875ac650d638fd5f21711089b7.jpeg

Too spiny inside heel strike but on the range swing/ball speed training.

A365CB82-A37A-401E-9296-EE6418D24CA2.jpeg.22df56b998247ccdda2378c925093398.jpeg

Tried Stealth against my SIM. Same shaft, loft, swing weight and didn’t see much difference in distance or ball speed except Stealth is deeper face at set up and only 3 grams heavier in total weight vs OG SIM

Cobra LS was a surprise in terms of feel and ball speed. Did try some previous cobra drivers but never quite like how it sit and felt harsh. And LTD X LS somehow felt different in a good way. Played with them on course today switching balls between TP5X and ProV1

On average Cobra LS set at 9.75* was longest carry and total distance & carry followed by Epic Speed TD 9.5* and OG SIM 8*

(Didn’t bring the Stealth as I’m changing to Stealth + 9*)

Still waiting for my Rogue ST LS and Rogue ST TD and do some more comparison testing.

C60794C1-70E5-4F3D-963C-1DFCC565780E.jpeg.64cab8603d5c13c678349273d2b4b72f.jpeg

Rogue ST LS 💎💎💎 9* Autoflex SF505XX

Rogue ST LS #3 15* Autoflex SF505X
Callaway Apex UW 19* TourAD HD7X
TM P790 4i KBS cTaper 115 X

PRGR 00 irons 5-P KBS cTaper 120X
50*-10 Raw JAWS Forged S-grind Modus3 125S
54*-10 Raw JAWS Raw Forged C-grind Modus3 125S
58*-08 Raw JAWS Raw T-grind Modus3 125S
Toulon San Diego long slant neck limited edition 35”