Let It Ride Gambling Game - Anyone play it?

Always looking for new gambling games on the course  - we mostly play Las Vegas, Quota, Skins, Closest to the Pin - and came across Let It Ride.  Has anyone played it? 

Players earn points for making a bogey or better on a hole. A typical point distribution would be 5 for a bogey, 15 for a par, 30 for a birdie and 60 for an eagle (better groups can start with par as the first point-eligible score). After earning points on a hole, the player has the option of banking the amount or “letting it ride,” meaning the point total can still grow on subsequent holes. The point totals double for every hole that they aren’t banked. So a bogey on a second consecutive hole would now be worth 10 and a par would be worth 30 and so on. However, if a player elects to let his or her points ride and a double bogey or worse is made, the player’s total points not banked goes back to zero. Banked points can’t be taken away and are credited at the end of the round. The players with the highest point totals are paid a predetermined amount for every point they have earned in relation to the other players. This is a great game for golfers who are streaky and also for golfers who love to gamble. Think about it: If you make back-to-back birdies without banking, you’ll have earned the equivalent of making 18 bogeys earned at 5 points each.

If you've played it, how has the money worked out? The problem I see the doubling can get the points so high.  I recently shot 74 with no doubles and had I let it ride the whole time I would have had almost 2,000,000 points LOL  

Is it usually played with a cap on the number of doubles (e.g. 3 then you have to bank)?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never played this but this seems like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.   To keep the point totals from getting ridiculous, maybe you have to automatically bank all points at the turn?

I play it and it's so fun.  The point system we use is Bogey = 1 pt Par = 3 pts Birdie = 5 pts Eagle = 10 pts   Keeps things somewhat tame.   Also have a rule t

We played it today in my foursome. We played 1,3,5,10 for points. Also we played that after the first 2 scoring holes, where you needed net bogey or better to keep the points, the next hole was net pa

Never played this but this seems like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

To keep the point totals from getting ridiculous, maybe you have to automatically bank all points at the turn?

So you can let it ride holes 1-9 and all points are automatically banked heading into hole #10.

Could also just lower the points while keeping them relative to each other. 

Bogey = 1

Par = 3

Birdie = 6

Eagle = 12

Gonna give this game a go with my buddies that like to gamble. Always looking for new games.

• Like 1
On 9/25/2020 at 1:08 PM, fortheloveofthegame said:

I play it and it's so fun.  The point system we use is

Bogey = 1 pt

Par = 3 pts

Birdie = 5 pts

Eagle = 10 pts

Keeps things somewhat tame.

Also have a rule that if you let it ride a second time in a row, you now need to get par or better to accumulate more points.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just worked out a scenario and it sounds like a lot of fun. Let them let it ride once at bogey then the next at par then the next at birdie then the next at eagle. Most players will bank once they get to needing birdie I’d bet. We play most everything net so this should work great.

Like stableford with a little strategy thrown into the scoring. 

We’ll give it a try tomorrow I’m sure. 

On 9/25/2020 at 2:08 PM, fortheloveofthegame said:

Bogey = 1 pt

Par = 3 pts

Birdie = 5 pts

Eagle = 10 pts

Also have a rule that if you let it ride a second time in a row, you now need to get par or better to accumulate more points.

Looks like modified Stableford to me. We play this w larger groups. 

10 minutes ago, Swisstrader98 said:

Looks like modified Stableford to me. We play this w larger groups. 

Right. But only if you bank every hole. If you let it ride, the points double each hole you let it ride. 

Stableford banks every hole. In let it ride, you can bank it, but you’ll likely lose to the guys that gamble a bit and let it ride a few times. 

On 9/25/2020 at 11:08 AM, fortheloveofthegame said:

Bogey = 1 pt

Par = 3 pts

Birdie = 5 pts

Eagle = 10 pts

Will have to try this. Another way to keep it somewhat tame would be just have everyone pitching $5 or $10 and depending on number of players most points wins the pot. Or first and second place etc.  Might be difficult with a large group as the scoring needs to be explicitly understood and my experience is many don’t even know where they get strokes on their home course. Can’t see them keeping accurate track in this game.

WITB
Tools for the job!

We played it today in my foursome. We played 1,3,5,10 for points. Also we played that after the first 2 scoring holes, where you needed net bogey or better to keep the points, the next hole was net par, next was net birdie, and then net eagle. This forces you to bank every so often. 

We played for $2, winner take all. 

It was a really fun game and the guys I played with, once they understood the point system and the risks involved, they really liked it and would play it again. 

With that many points, though, it was an accounting nightmare. There’s no way to play this for quarters, or really, even dimes. If you have a bad day, even at dime a point, I could see owing over $25. 

I think the next time we play it we’ll go straight net Stableford scoring. 1,2,3,4.  Or Chicago scoring, 1,2,4,8. Also, we’ll probably start the negative progression of what you need right away. If you score points, next hole the points double, but you’ll need net par. If you score points there, next hole you’ll need net birdie. This will force more banking, and closer point totals so that maybe we’ll be able to play for points instead of a set amount. 

How our game went. My son let it ride four times and had 127 points when he  banked on 16. This forced me to keep letting it ride. So I made my needed par on 17, and on 18 I needed a birdie to score points, it would have been worth 53 if I had birdied and I would have won by 2 points. I just missed it. 

If we were playing a set amount per point, I would have banked it for sure and would have secured second place. Because of my wipeout on 18, I took 3rd. The guy that finished 4th got so far behind, he had to keep letting it ride and kept getting wiped. With less points in play, he would have banked more often and the top of the board would have been more bunched. Because he wiped out so often, even if we were playing dime per point, he would have lost about $18.  He had like 36 points and I ended up, after wiping out on 18, with 80-ish, second place had 90-ish, and first was my son with like 130-ish. 

Then again, you don’t want to restrict the scoring so much that everyone banks every hole and never lets it ride. That’s just Stableford. 

Thanks for the idea. The bones of a really cool, fun game are there. Just needs some tweaking. 

• Like 1