2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Reclass from 2022 to 2023 and recruiting nightmare

With the NCAA dead period extended to Jan 1, 2021 along with many 2020 hs grads taking a gap year and current college players getting an extra year of eligibility, it seems like 2021 hs grads are really negatively impacted with very few college roster spots; seems like many 2021 will take a gap year, which would then affect 2022 hs grads.

My 2022 grad is considering re-classing to 2023, as some other players that year have already done in response to all of this.

When does it all end...thoughts?

All I can say is this a nightmare.   I think 2021 is in a bad spot for sure. One would hope the NCAA allows for more scholarships to even things out for a year or two.

It also might not be as bad as everyone is thinking.  A lot college players have hopes to turn pro.  With everything going on a lot pro’s are going to retire or walk away.  This is especially true on the mini and developmental tours. So it might be tempting for a lot kids to turn pro if they can qualify for these tours.

Edited by tiger1873

11 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

All I can say is this a nightmare.   I think 2021 is in a bad spot for sure. One would hope the NCAA allows for more scholarships to even things out for a year or two.

It also might not be as bad as everyone is thinking.  A lot college players have hopes to turn pro.  With everything going on a lot pro’s are going to retire or walk away.  This is especially true on the mini and developmental tours. So it might be tempting for a lot kids to turn pro if they can qualify for these tours.

No player is turning pro early to play on a developmental tour.  With PGA Tour U more players will be staying in college than turning pro.  I know of 5 in this class alone personally who are going back and finishing this year rather than turning pro and with how big the incentive is I don’t see that changing.  Players will leave before junior year or will stay all 4

Edited by iteachgolf
  • Like 3

On 9/27/2020 at 4:00 AM, tiger1873 said:

As a parent of a 2021 grad.  "It also might not be as bad as everyone is thinking." It's as bad as you think and then some.  He was already late to golf, so also any spot in NCAA 1 and 2 is gone.  They're a couple of Div 2 school, but NAIA has been his saving grace.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Noles said:

My son is a 2022 and he verbally committed about a month ago.  It was a great fit.  He was their guy in the class of 2022 and it is where he wanted to go to school.  Probably the easiest recruiting process as could be imagined.  We were very fortunate.

Congratulations.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

12 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Are kids really taking gap years to play NAIA?

I wouldn't discount the NAIA.  Alot of teams specifically in the AAC conference are really strong.  I bet 50% of those teams would steam roll lower level Div 1 schools.

Edited by TripleBogeysrbetter

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ConcernedBoutCOVID said:

From what I've heard anecdotally, it sounds like it is going to affect the next 3-4 recruiting classes.  People are even talking about doing more than one PG year.

How is that possible?  Transfers and gap year kids not using their eligibility?

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

19 hours ago, ConcernedBoutCOVID said:

From what I've heard anecdotally, it sounds like it is going to affect the next 3-4 recruiting classes.  People are even talking about doing more than one PG year.

Why?  I don't understand the purpose.  Why not pay to go to college and and play on the team.  State school would be less than paying for post grad.  Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

Why?  I don't understand the purpose.  Why not pay to go to college and and play on the team.  State school would be less than paying for post grad.  Makes no sense.

I can't speak for all of them but maybe they are choosy about which schools they want to go to.  I would guess anyone considering PG is not that concerned about cost anyway.

3 minutes ago, ConcernedBoutCOVID said:

I can't speak for all of them but maybe they are choosy about which schools they want to go to.  I would guess anyone considering PG is not that concerned about cost anyway.

I would assume most people doing this don't understand the college recruiting process.  There are so many mistakes made.  Dealing with the process can be worse than buying a car.  You don't go to a school just because it was your favorite school growing up.  That is a huge mistake.  You go to a school because it is the right fit with the right coach and the right players where the school offers you degree of study.

Using a PG year just for golf is beyond stupid.

Plenty of kids are willing to play for schools as walk ons.  Problem is there are no spots available at many schools

15 minutes ago, iteachgolf said:

Plenty of kids are willing to play for schools as walk ons.  Problem is there are no spots available at many schools

If the school wanted them they could take them.  There is no roster limit for golf.  That is why it doesn't make sense to me.  

Edited by heavy_hitter

I would assume most people doing this don't understand the college recruiting process.  There are so many mistakes made.  Dealing with the process can be worse than buying a car.  You don't go to a school just because it was your favorite school growing up.  That is a huge mistake.  You go to a school because it is the right fit with the right coach and the right players where the school offers you degree of study.

Using a PG year just for golf is beyond stupid.

It sounds like you might be describing why they are taking a PG year then - finding "the right fit with the right coach and the right players where the school offers you degree of study" might not be that easy given all that is going on in recruiting (2020 college srs coming back for another year of eligibility, other college players taking gap year, limited slots, teams getting cut)

It seems to be trickling down, first to 2021 hs grads, who then take gap/pg year to defer to 2022, which affects 2022 and on and on

If the school wanted them they could take them.  There is no roster limit for golf.  That is why it doesn't make sense to me.  

Plenty of schools have a “limit”.  Even if it’s self imposed it’s still exist. I have multiple kids who had big $ offers that now can’t even go to that school as a walk on.  The coach definitely wants them but it doesn’t work logistically.  And these are power 5 top 50 schools. And these are top 100 ranked kids 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, iteachgolf said:

Plenty of schools have a “limit”.  Even if it’s self imposed it’s still exist. I have multiple kids who had big $ offers that now can’t even go to that school as a walk on.  The coach definitely wants them but it doesn’t work logistically.  And these are power 5 top 50 schools. And these are top 100 ranked kids 

Thing is, they can drop down to DII or DIII and they will not be hurt within the aspect of pursuing a dream.  May not be where they had wished for and they need to make the best of what the situation is.

3 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Some schools have a very high tuition to attend. I would think that could cause a real problem for some kids to attend. I know some schools out there are 75-85k in tuition a year. 

11 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Some schools have a very high tuition to attend. I would think that could cause a real problem for some kids to attend. I know some schools out there are 75-85k in tuition a year. 

They don't have to attend a school that is that expensive.  When they do, most likely they are getting some type of help other than athletics.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Thing is, they can drop down to DII or DIII and they will not be hurt within the aspect of pursuing a dream.  May not be where they had wished for and they need to make the best of what the situation is.

They can drop down to D2,D3 or they can go to lower ranked D1 schools and still get a good amount of money/percentage.

This whole thing may strengthen all levels of college golf. 

On 9/28/2020 at 8:51 AM, heavy_hitter said:

I don't see the reasoning of staying behind a year just for golf.  

$$$$ is one reason. If you can pull a scholarship next year it makes sense to wait and get school paid for then go and pay for year one yourself. It also nice to go to the same school all years, so it does not make a allot of sense to start at one school and hunt for scholarship to transfer to another school.