Most forgiving wedges?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You already know why if you think about it......  What happens with a driver shot if spin levels gets to low and the balls spin axis tilt to much? Right you have a knuckle ball, ball flight become

G.O.A.T!  

Posted Images

Cleveland has the cbx wedges that are cavity back. They also have smart sole wedges that are even more forgiving but kind of look like chippers.  Callaway just put out a Mack daddy cb wedge. Several OEMs are making more forgiving wedges. Should have multiple options to look into trying. Good luck with your search 

7 minutes ago, nick_CO said:

Cleveland has the cbx wedges that are cavity back. They also have smart sole wedges that are even more forgiving but kind of look like chippers.  Callaway just put out a Mack daddy cb wedge. Several OEMs are making more forgiving wedges. Should have multiple options to look into trying. Good luck with your search 

Thank you. I was looking at the cbx2 and the ping glide 3. 

The Ping Glide 3.0's might be the best wedges on the market. Especially in the forgiveness area. 

Titleist TS2
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Ping Anser 20,
Wilson V6's  3-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

4 hours ago, eagles88 said:

Right now at this point in my game I realized the Vokey Sm8 is not for me.  I need something with a little more forgiveness.  Any suggestions?

Thank you

Just about any brand-model is more forgiving than a Vokey wedge.

If you want about 30% more forgiveness buy Cleveland RTX.

If you want 60% more forgiveness buy Cleveland CBX.

If you want 90% more forgiveness buy Cleveland Smart Sole.

* remember that as forgiveness increases so does consistency-reliability of carry shot distance.

• Like 1

Edison wedges I heard are helpful 

Edited by Rbsiedsc

Driver: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff XLR8 Draw Setup

3W: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or PXG 0311X 2I HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: Sub 70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long

Wedges  54*,60*:  Ping S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up

Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab 

Ball: Snell MTB or KSigs or Srixon Z Star XV

Maybe a case of changes in the new model where the old model will suit you better? Of course a lot depends on loft and grind, but my SM7 54* S grind is so diverse and easy.

Driver: TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5° at 8°

3W: TaylorMade V-Steel 15°

3H: Taylormade M3 19°

Irons (4-W): Titleist 718 AP1 (21°-48°)

SW: Titleist Vokey SM7 54.10S (brushed steel)

LW: TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 60.10 (copper)

Putter: TaylorMade TP Black Copper Ardmore 2

On wedges, also pay attention to the shafts. In 2014 I decided to "go lighter" on iron shafts, replacing the PX 5.0 shafts in my then-X20 Tours with NS Pro 8950GH. The NS Pros were about 17 grams lighter.

No wedge problems until the following season, when I started having  distance-control problems on partial wedges. One factor: my wedges still had the 120 + gram Cleveland TRAction wedge flex shafts. TRAction was about 23 grams heavier - plus stiffer - than the NS Pros. I reshafted to KBS Tour R-flex (110 grams) and things smoothed out.

So, if you have gone to lighter shafts in irons recently, this could disrupt the feel of wedges with stock DG S200-variant shafts.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set +1°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48° and 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Depends on what wedge you're talking about.  For a higher lofted wedge from the bunker and for pitching from around the green, nothing is easier then the Smart Sole 3 or 4 S.  For a lower lofted wedge and you play a lot of full shots, the CBX or the new Cally cavity back might fit the bill.

I have played most brands of wedges, but have always landed back with Cleveland.  I needed to replace my primary club around the green a 52* bronze colours CG something.

I had noticed on full shots I missed more or them than I should have.  Saw the CBX, bought and it's terrific, full shots are great, chipping and pitching no problem, today I had a hardpan lie going up about 10' in a 20 yd shot, it came off perfectly.  

These things are great around the greens.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R
BB Alpha 815 14 set +1 draw Speeder 665 S
19 & 23 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap JPX825
Scotty Kombi
54/10 Rotex 2.0 56 Tmag ATV

ZipCore mid-bounce that I recently tested were great feeling and easy to hit.  Weighting seemed perfect for good distance control and workability.  If I didn't already have the Glide 3.0 Eye2, then I would have ordered these. 

There's another thread floating around about the CBX wedges, commented there and I'll add here as well. Can't recommend them enough. Yes they visually are bigger but I don't think they are obnoxious. 

Forgiveness really becomes apparent on longer shots, 40 yards and out. Sole is a bit thicker with a grind that helps keep some versatility. 

On 9/26/2020 at 10:28 AM, Fairway14 said:

Just about any brand-model is more forgiving than a Vokey wedge.

If you want about 30% more forgiveness buy Cleveland RTX.

If you want 60% more forgiveness buy Cleveland CBX.

If you want 90% more forgiveness buy Cleveland Smart Sole.

* remember that as forgiveness increases so does consistency-reliability of carry shot distance.

Mind giving a link to where this info can be found ?

Or at least a source ?

Hopefully other than the Cleveland site.

TIA

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Adams A12 Idea Pro hybrid, 16*, Aldila 85 VS Proto Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Taylormade XFT 64

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

I've found bounce to add to forgiveness. For me it helped with strike point which created more consistent results on decently hit shots. 

I've tried cbx2, ping 3.0, rtx, vokeys with little difference in off center performance hitting into a monitor. All were good, but I went vokey because I hit them the best, liked the feel, good distance gapping and I like true temper s200 wedge shafts. Interestingly I went in wanting the ping glide 3.0 due to forgiveness claims and cool tech.

The most forgiving: 

Cleveland Smart Sole

Callaway Sure Out

C3i

The more bounce the better and bounce is your friend.  I started playing these types of wedges and will never look back . The only other type of wedge that will make it into my bag is some Edel wedges that I had built some years ago that have 25 ish degrees of bounce on them.  If the wedge doesn't have at least the the same amount of bounce as your angle of attack then you have a digging machine that will not perform as a wedge should.  

Forgiveness against what is the question?
Thin shots? Fat shorts, Pulls? Hooks? Ballooning full shots? Distance dispersion? Direction?

Whats issues do we wants to solve?

Pointing at a specific head without a clue about what issues there was with the SM8 you try to solve cant be done without knowing more about what the issue really is. There is also a need for info about what shaft that was used, what shaft you play in irons, what play lengths, SW, total wgt and lie angles was used.

For wedges, sole properties or lie angle is often where issues comes from, NOT "the head" itself.
For lofts 40* and higher we dont get much help from perimeter weighting if impact issues is the actual problem, and impact issues is either, length, weight, balance or swing related, not head related, so we dont get "improved impact" by using a cavity-back head. 

Back to the question, whats the issue you try to solve here?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

Thin shots? Fat shorts, Pulls? Hooks? Ballooning full shots? Distance dispersion? Direction?

Pointing at a specific head without a clue about what issues there was with the SM8 you try to solve cant be done without knowing more about what the issue really is. There is also a need for info about what shaft that was used, what shaft you play in irons, what play lengths, SW, total wgt and lie angles was used.

For wedges, sole properties or lie angle is often where issues comes from, NOT "the head" itself.
For lofts 40* and higher we dont get much help from perimeter weighting if impact issues is the actual problem, and impact issues is either, length, weight, balance or swing related, not head related, so we dont get "improved impact" by using a cavity-back head. 

Tell that to TK at Edison 

3W: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or PXG 0311X 2I HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: Sub 70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

2 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

You quoted Howard's entire post,,,,,,,,,,,

Tell WHAT to who, and where, and why ?

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Taylormade XFT 64

8 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

2 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

26 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

You quoted Howard's entire post,,,,,,,,,,,

Tell WHAT to who, and where, and why ?

Basically, TK, the founder of Edison and WRX wedge guy, states that his perimeter weighted forged wedges and TK sole will vastly help all golfers and improve distance retention due to most amateurs striking the wedge high on the face.

1 minute ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Basically, TK, the founder of Edison and WRX wedge guy, states that his perimeter weighted forged wedges and TK sole will vastly help all golfers and improve distance retention due to most amateurs striking the wedge high on the face.

So he's selling his wedges, yes ?

Thanks for the explanation. 👍

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Taylormade XFT 64

11 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

So he's selling his wedges, yes ?

Thanks for the explanation. 👍

One size fits all? yeah right, and thats why i could offer more than 10.000 combinations for wedges alone directly from stock....if i knew better i could have made it with ONE model, and i expect that means one model of shafts too.....if i only knew...

• Haha 1