P7TW VS P7MB

JB_007

Has anyone hit both of these and have any input?  Are the P7TW worth the up-charge vs the P7MB?  

I know that they are both blades, so the difference will be minimal, more just curious if anyone had a chance to get some on course / off real grass testing. I typically fit into the x100 and  like to play more traditional lofts.  I have the opportunity to buy the P7TW at a bit of discount, that makes the two irons much closer in price. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9° | Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5*  | Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TSR2 18*  | AV Raw Blue 8TX

Titleist  '23 T200 (4) T100 5-9  | PX Rifle 6.5
Titleist  SM9 46 / 50 / 54 / 58  | PX Rifle 6.0

**Putter Unknown**

On 9/26/2020 at 5:46 PM, 2ndCut16 said:

Has anyone hit both of these and have any input?  Are the P7TW worth the up-charge vs the P7MB?  

I know that they are both blades, so the difference will be minimal, more just curious if anyone had a chance to get some on course / off real grass testing. I typically fit into the x100 and  like to play more traditional lofts.  I have the opportunity to buy the P7TW at a bit of discount, that makes the two irons much closer in price. 

I have not played the new p7mb but I did just shoot my career low of 78 on just my 3rd round with the P7TW’s. I’m a 12 Hc (been trending down) and I find them to be extremely playable. I came from the 2005 tp cb’s and p750’s and I don’t find the P7TW’s hard to hit at all. 

• Like 2

I've hit both of them and actually just pulled the trigger on a set of P7TWs. I am a scratch golfer for context. The biggest difference I found between the two was definitely the feel. The P7TWs are obviously closer to your traditional lofts, but they come with a much firmer feel than the P7MBs. I also found the P7MBs to be more spinny than the P7TWs in the same TI X100s. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with! 

@Drew14 I appreciate the post. Where you able to hit them off grass? I'm curious about the milled grind sole of the PTTW vs the sole of the P7MB cutting through actual grass?

**Putter Unknown**

I was able to hit them both off of grass. I preferred the turf interaction of the P7TWs more as they seemed to cut through the grass, especially the rough more consistently than the P7MBs. I also think the slightly heavier weighting of the P7TWs helps with that too. They are both great irons, but for me the P7TWs were definitely worth the slight price difference as they checked more of the boxes in terms of looks/feel/sound/performance than the P7MBs. To be completely honest, I actually liked the P7MCs more than the P7MBs. I'd definitely give those a chance as well (I ordered the P7MCs 3,4, and 5 irons for a potential combo set if needed).

@Drew14 Based on my gut reaction after hitting both, I think you may have sold me on the TWs. I'm not a scratch (playing off a 5) but between the look and feel, and hearing the feedback on the sole, I might be sold.

I do like a heavier club head, which the TW seems to be. 

• Like 1

**Putter Unknown**

I definitely think you are making the right choice. It's tough to stomach the price tag of the P7TWs, but if you get a discount it's definitely worth choosing them over the P7MBs. I also felt like the P7TWs were decently forgiving considering they are a pretty thin blade. I think you'll love them. Plus there is a definite "wow factor" to having a set of P7TWs! Hope you enjoy!

I have hit both. They are pretty different. The TWs are as said pretty firm feeling and very punishing on hishits. I found the MBs actually pretty forgiving on off center hits. 

Due to design and lofts the TWs will fly a bit shorter than some may be used to, but I would not call them short if you compare loft to loft. 

I really liked the TW. They reminded me of one of my fav sets. the Titleist T stamp irons. Which I think those were pretty much modeled after. 

Edited by QuigleyDU

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

56 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

I agree. I love the weight/feel of the p7tw. Plus I doubt they’ll ever go out of style. 

For me this year, that's been a big thing, irons "going out of style" in my own mind.. I've had quite a few iron sets, really playing what people "told me I should" vs what I really want. I've always wanted a sold set of blades, so hopefully the look / cost will keep them in the bag for years to come. 

**Putter Unknown**

52 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I have hit both. They are pretty different. The TWs are as said pretty firm feeling and very punishing on hishits. I found the MBs actually pretty forgiving on off center hits. 

Due to design and lofts the TWs will fly a bit shorter than some may be used to, but I would not call them short if you compare loft to loft. 

I really liked the TW. They reminded me of one of my fav sets. the Titleist T stamp irons. Which I think those were pretty much modeled after. 

I'm not really one that would chase distance / I already play a PW that has been adjusted to 47* so that should be too much of a difference. I'm glad to hear they have a firm feeling, I actually prefer that to the soft feeling everyone chases. There is something about a well struck shot, with a heavy head that feels powerful.

• Like 1

**Putter Unknown**

3 hours ago, 2ndCut16 said:

For me this year, that's been a big thing, irons "going out of style" in my own mind.. I've had quite a few iron sets, really playing what people "told me I should" vs what I really want. I've always wanted a sold set of blades, so hopefully the look / cost will keep them in the bag for years to come. 

You nailed my stance 100%. I’m currently a 12 HC and been playing cb’s for years. I’ve always had envy for blades but always heard all the noise about how hard they are to hit how they were only for scratch or better golfers. My buddy got the P7TW’s when they came out last spring and loved how they look but didn’t think I could play them. One day on the course I had the wrong club in my hand and asked my buddy if I could hit his since he had the right club, I mishit it slightly but still went about as far as I expected. After that I finally said screwed it and decided to stop caring what people think. So much so I got the same irons as my buddy! True, other irons might improve my score here and there, but these are just beautiful irons and there is just something special about the feeling when you flush one. That and being a huge tiger fan just makes it worth it to me to enjoy the game the way I want to. I also believe a more demanding club can make you better if you work at it and the feedback has be great for me. Shot my career low (78) yesterday on just my 3rd round with my new blades. 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy
  • Like 1

I have the P7TW in 3-PW and the P7MB in 7-PW. They might both be blades, but there are some pretty big differences to me.

The most noticeable difference is feel and feedback. P7TW feel "heavy", for lack of a better term. That tungsten weight plug behind the sweet spot gives them a very dense, hard feel. Even shots that are flushed don't feel buttery soft like people are used to from blades. The P7MB, on the other hand, feel like a great forging when they're struck well and the ball does what I think it should based on impact feel/sound. With the P7TW, I've had many shots feel like I missed them, but they still traveled exactly where I expected.

The next difference I saw was with launch and spin. For me, the P7TW launch a little higher and spin a little more than the P7MB in a comparable setup. I feel like it's the Nike-style grooves of the P7TW as compared to the more traditional TaylorMade grooves of the P7MB. I thought the P7MB would launch a little higher, but that hasn't been the case so far.

From a forgiveness standpoint, they're both blades, so you get what you expect for the most part. However, I do find the P7TW to be more forgiving than I had expected. When compared to P7MB, it seems like the P7TW might be a little more forgiving, but I think that's likely a perception issue I have that's caused by my feel comments above.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

• 6 months later...

I have the P7TWs and can catch fire, but I’m also wondering if the MB’s are a tiny bit more forgiving on some of those mishits etc. Toying with the idea of going to MB’s since I’m not tiger, have had decent rounds at 75 so far this season which is really early in Canada.  Anyone with more info on the MB’s let me know. 

The P7TW doesn't come in lefty, because TW isn't lefty? WTF?

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, omfs27 said:

Man I really want some P7TW.  I have the P7MC, not a fan, I felt like I lost some distance (1/2 a club).  Now Im hitting 620MB. Really wanted these but with my experience with P7MC, I decided to go Titleist.  

@omfs27  I ended up buying the P7TW, demoing the MC and the MB. Honestly, I found the TW to be significantly better. I enjoyed my 620mb as well, the Titleist grinds seem to work well for me, but I would say if you are curious about the TW give them a shot, they play differently than the other offerings from TM.

I did find my mishits with the TW were better than the 620, I put that down to the head weights being a bit heavier. 

**Putter Unknown**

4 minutes ago, 2ndCut16 said:

@omfs27  I ended up buying the P7TW, demoing the MC and the MB. Honestly, I found the TW to be significantly better. I enjoyed my 620mb as well, the Titleist grinds seem to work well for me, but I would say if you are curious about the TW give them a shot, they play differently than the other offerings from TM.

I did find my mishits with the TW were better than the 620, I put that down to the head weights being a bit heavier. 

I heard the same thing, that the TW mishits are friendlier and this set is a lot more forgiving than other musclebacks.  I tried venturing down the cavity backs, and improvement irons but I keep coming back to the musclebacks.  I may have to give these a try.

Edited by omfs27

8 minutes ago, omfs27 said:

I heard the same thing, that the TW mishits are friendlier and this set is a lot more forgiving than other musclebacks.  I tried venturing down the cavity backs, and improvement irons but I keep coming back to the musclebacks.  I may have to give these a try.

I've done the same thing, given them all a try and always end up with a MB.. currently have TW, 620mb, Miura MB101 and the ZX7 being the only cavity that's made it a few rounds for me..

**Putter Unknown**

1 minute ago, 2ndCut16 said:

I've done the same thing, given them all a try and always end up with a MB.. currently have TW, 620mb, Miura MB101 and the ZX7 being the only cavity that's made it a few rounds for me..

Same specs for the 620 and the TW? I'm thinking of going stronger lofts on the TW if I get another set.  I can spin the 620 into the 7-9000 range if I want to (but I'm in the 4-5000 with a controlled swing) and I am thinking about changing to x-stiff on my 620s to see if it'll help reduce spin.

4 minutes ago, omfs27 said:

Same specs for the 620 and the TW? I'm thinking of going stronger lofts on the TW if I get another set.  I can spin the 620 into the 7-9000 range if I want to (but I'm in the 4-5000 with a controlled swing) and I am thinking about changing to x-stiff on my 620s to see if it'll help reduce spin.

i have tiger specs in TW, I ordered right from TM, so they have x100 with his lofts and lengths. The 620 are stock loft/ length with X7 shafts. I’d say the 620 go a bit further, TW I have more control with, personally. The X7 definitely helped lower my spin. 

• Like 1

**Putter Unknown**

• 2 years later...
On 5/24/2021 at 5:38 PM, JB_007 said:

i have tiger specs in TW, I ordered right from TM, so they have x100 with his lofts and lengths. The 620 are stock loft/ length with X7 shafts. I’d say the 620 go a bit further, TW I have more control with, personally. The X7 definitely helped lower my spin. 

How did the p7tw in tiger specs play loft for loft compared to similar irons?  I’m going thinking about dropping my 50 degree and picking up a 3-pw set. It looks like it would play like a strong lofted 4-gw set, just with different numbers stamped on the bottom.

how playable is that 3 iron?  I currently play a set of mp32 3-pw and don’t have a problem striking the 3 iron.

Edited by Pnwpingi210