2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Costco 3 Wedge set

Hateto3Putt

I guess I don't get the appeal. $175 after tax for three budget wedges? That's a deal now? Only the Costco "halo effect" would lead anyone to compare these to Vokeys. More like 588's. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Not that it matters to the audience for Kirkland golf equipment but I don't buy any golf equipment I can't demo first.

Not PXG, not SUB70, and certainly not Kirkland.

Also, in a rough/quick perusal of those "appreciating" these wedges vs. those not, it seems the "pro" crowd doesn't have any equipment in their signatures whereas the "con" crowd does.

I wonder if there's a subtle message there,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_rolleyes: :classic_laugh:

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 11/4/2020 at 9:30 AM, me05501 said:

I guess I don't get the appeal. $175 after tax for three budget wedges? That's a deal now? Only the Costco "halo effect" would lead anyone to compare these to Vokeys. More like 588's. 

Without trying them yourself before making that statement, and slamming the 588's is just as much of a Titleist "halo effect"

There are not a lot of amateur golfers out there that accelerate through a chip or pitch shot enough to see any difference in just about any wedge out there. So how can it be a "halo effect" if 90% of golfers out there can not tell the difference..... That is just the reality for the majority of golfers.

I'm not slamming them gang, I'm just wondering why there'd be any excitement around them. I have played and loved 588's so that's not a slam either. I'm just saying that they look like exactly what they are: new off-brand wedges based on a design that is 30+ years old. They're knockoffs of the 588 or similar designs from decades past. Nothing special.

The fact that these are seen as any kind of alluring bargain is based 100% on the idea that Costco is known for offering great value. They've smartly developed a reputation that causes buyers to think "this would be way more expensive somewhere else." Sometimes that's true, but often it isn't. 

If Wal-Mart put these same package on the shelf most people would say they were appropriately priced or maybe slightly expensive. This is undeniable IMO. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

The main thing that this package helps us understand is that there is a HUGE markup in a $150 wedge. I'm assuming labor and materials in a $150 must be down around $35-40. Cleveland/Callaway/Titleist probably sell those wedges to retailers for $95 and the retailer makes the difference. 

Since Costco only sells direct to consumers, they can look at the same economics, change the grip and shaft to "their" brand, and get each wedge made for $25-30. They sell three of them for $169 and make similar margins to a retail golf shop, BUT they don't have to worry about inventory balances between various lofts and finishes etc. That's where the "value" comes from on both their end and the consumer's end.

However, if you buy the three wedge set and only one of the three sticks in your bag, who really won? Costco did. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Reminds me of the Adams Tom Watson three-packs from about 10 years ago.

So, here's what we're looking at:

image.png.27b201cd34b92cf07dbf055fe39a434b.pngShould be good for players who mainly hit square-face wedge shots.

Interesting: The SW bounce is only 10°. In St. Louis area, more golf courses are switching to heavier river sand vs. lighter sugar sand. A national trend? Two local pros say they have switched to standard bounce SWs because high flange wedges hang up too much in heavy sand. Is Kirkland ahead of the game on the SW?

One note: The shafts may be a bit on the short side. But you could have them extended if needed.

Bottom line: IF these are reasonably durable, you get three basic wedges for about $15 more than you would pay for a single Vokey or Cleveland. Modest heel-area relief should allow opening of face slightly.

We'll see what user feedback says.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 11/4/2020 at 11:30 AM, me05501 said:

Considering Vokeys are cast in China at a cost of around $4 each, I swoon over the level of quality...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I'm not slamming them gang, I'm just wondering why there'd be any excitement around them. I have played and loved 588's so that's not a slam either. I'm just saying that they look like exactly what they are: new off-brand wedges based on a design that is 30+ years old. They're knockoffs of the 588 or similar designs from decades past. Nothing special.

The fact that these are seen as any kind of alluring bargain is based 100% on the idea that Costco is known for offering great value. They've smartly developed a reputation that causes buyers to think "this would be way more expensive somewhere else." Sometimes that's true, but often it isn't. 

If Wal-Mart put these same package on the shelf most people would say they were appropriately priced or maybe slightly expensive. This is undeniable IMO. 

So even if they are identical recreations of 588, and lets assume someone likes the 588....less than $60 a wedge isn't a good price given the prices today?

What do you call the price of a Box of ProV1 or any upper echelon tour ball?  Highway robbery?

Wow. I feel like I stumbled into a Costco Kool-Aid bar. Great for washing down that 50 cent hot dog, I suppose. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

It's very weird how some posters project their stock impressions onto others.

If I call into question the value of a product from Costco, does it automatically imply that I'm the kind of person who brags about the brands in my bag? Does it imply that I'm throwing an "only Titleist is good enough for REAL players" vibe? Does it imply that I wouldn't put one of these wedges in my bag if it worked for me? 

No, no and no. 

My words are what I wrote. No sense in painting me with your own insecurities. 

I'm simply saying that from my point of view these wedges are APPROPRIATELY PRICED and not some screaming secret-handshake bargain. In about six months you'll be able to buy them used on ebay for about $30 per wedge and you won't have to pay for a whole set. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

35 minutes ago, me05501 said:

It's very weird how some posters project their stock impressions onto others.

If I call into question the value of a product from Costco, does it automatically imply that I'm the kind of person who brags about the brands in my bag? Does it imply that I'm throwing an "only Titleist is good enough for REAL players" vibe? Does it imply that I wouldn't put one of these wedges in my bag if it worked for me? 

No, no and no. 

My words are what I wrote. No sense in painting me with your own insecurities. 

I'm simply saying that from my point of view these wedges are APPROPRIATELY PRICED and not some screaming secret-handshake bargain. In about six months you'll be able to buy them used on ebay for about $30 per wedge and you won't have to pay for a whole set. 

The Kirkland putter disagrees

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Kirkland+Putter&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

2 hours ago, nlinneman20 said:

So your "evidence" the wedges won't sell for only 60% of their current new price in 6 months, is sales within the last 10 days, of a putter released 5 months ago, which are selling either BRAND NEW OR USED for between 60% and 100% of its retail price ? :classic_blink:

Edited by nsxguy

Titleist Pro V1X

On 9/26/2020 at 9:35 PM, dlygrisse said:

Loft specs don’t really fit modern sets for the average guy. 50, 54,58 would be better gapping for most. 

Plenty of people still play those lofts-- yes, irons are getting stronger overall but a lot of us still use higher loft to regulate distance. 

On 10/11/2020 at 7:32 AM, madeintheshade said:

considering the quality of the Kirkland balls which are $12.50 a dozen, one might argue paying more than $20 for balls is still highway robbery. 

The quality of the new balls is pretty good and honestly a great buy for the average golfer. They've definitely improved from the last fail release. Supposedly there's a plan for a 2020 ball too that will be closer to the 2016 Ksig. MGS did a ball lab on them that showed some inconsistencies in core, but for most it shouldn't show up or impact shots for anyone over a 15 handicap. I've played through a 12 pack I bought and find them on course all the time: They're not pro-v1s off the tee but they play very well in the short clubs and wedges. Considering the other "low cost" options out there, I'd say they're a great deal especially because if you're not happy (or just plain don't like them) you can return them no questions asked... even after playing a sleeve or two.

7 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Not that it matters to the audience for Kirkland golf equipment but I don't buy any golf equipment I can't demo first.

Not PXG, not SUB70, and certainly not Kirkland.

Also, in a rough/quick perusal of those "appreciating" these wedges vs. those not, it seems the "pro" crowd doesn't have any equipment in their signatures whereas the "con" crowd does.

I wonder if there's a subtle message there,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_rolleyes: :classic_laugh:

From what I've seen with other products you can basically return them in just about any condition for a full refund. I'd say that's pretty damn close to a demo. 

I ordered a set to try out and will be getting some data on them in the next few days. I made a deal with my buddy to borrow his 56 and 60 SM8s to test out in return for cleaning his clubs. I'll get a head-to-head using the same balls and same machine for comparison. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

4 hours ago, nsxguy said:

So your "evidence" the wedges won't sell for only 60% of their current new price in 6 months, is sales within the last 10 days, of a putter released 5 months ago, which are selling either BRAND NEW OR USED for between 60% and 100% of its retail price ? :classic_blink:

I mean I'm sure we could dig a lot deeper into it.

What's your evidence that they WILL sell for 60 percent of their price? At least I have some ebay evidence that it could be more.

O you don't have anything to back up that claim? Got it

26 minutes ago, nlinneman20 said:

I mean I'm sure we could dig a lot deeper into it.

What's your evidence that they WILL sell for 60 percent of their price? At least I have some ebay evidence that it could be more.

O you don't have anything to back up that claim? Got it

:classic_laugh: :classic_laugh: :classic_laugh:

I don't have any evidence either way NOR did I make ANY claim that needs to be backed up.

YOU quoted the guy who said the wedges would be worth 60% of retail in 6 months.

YOU are the one who posted a link presumably suggesting the Kirkland PUTTER would tend to disprove HIS theory about the wedges saying, and I quote, "Kirkland PUTTER disagrees".

And YOU are the one that gave the link that apparently disproves your OWN CLAIM as USED Kirkland putters are selling for roughly 60% of the original retail price.

And YOU want ME to back up something I never claimed ?!?!?

You just can't make this stuff up !!! I guess I don't have to though,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But thanks fer playin' :classic_laugh:

Edited by nsxguy

Titleist Pro V1X

lol I watched the Rick Shiels video last night.  i like his mention of the hot dog at the end of his video.

i'm guessing that these are fine wedges.  i personally wouldn't use them but i'm kinda vain and don't want a set of kirkland anything in my bag (including balls, putter, or wedges) but most people aren't as superficial as i am.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nsxguy said:

:classic_laugh: :classic_laugh: :classic_laugh:

I don't have any evidence either way NOR did I make ANY claim that needs to be backed up.

YOU quoted the guy who said the wedges would be worth 60% of retail in 6 months.

YOU are the one who posted a link presumably suggesting the Kirkland PUTTER would tend to disprove HIS theory about the wedges saying, and I quote, "Kirkland PUTTER disagrees".

And YOU are the one that gave the link that apparently disproves your OWN CLAIM as USED Kirkland putters are selling for roughly 60% of the original retail price.

And YOU want ME to back up something I never claimed ?!?!?

You just can't make this stuff up !!! I guess I don't have to though,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But thanks fer playin' :classic_laugh:

Ok maybe your math is just bad, 60% of the retail on the putter is $90, I see two putters in the first about 10 or 20 putters that sold for less than $100 so...........

The majority is over $100 which is more than 60%.

Thanks fer playing, more math lessons to come.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, nlinneman20 said:

Ok maybe your math is just bad, 60% of the retail on the putter is $90, I see two putters in the first about 10 or 20 putters that sold for less than $100 so...........

The majority is over $100 which is more than 60%.

Thanks fer playing, more math lessons to come.

Yes, 60% of 150 is 90. And yes, there are previously sold USED putters for $90.

And even though the original remark was about the wedges going for 60% of their original price in 6 months, something we won't know FOR 6 months, thanks for the confirmation on my math. 👍

Titleist Pro V1X

17 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Plenty of people still play those lofts-- yes, irons are getting stronger overall but a lot of us still use higher loft to regulate distance. 

I'm sitting here thinking of all the people I have played golf with recently and I can't think of anyone who plays that config, except maybe one low handicap guy whom I haven't played with in a couple of years.  My regular group has no wedges with more than 58* and almost all carry a set GW.  Sure it's a viable and traditional set, but it just doesn't fit with modern iron sets, which now all have PW's between 43 and 45 degrees.  some even less.  Only blades have PW's at 46 or 47 degrees, then you are still looking at a 5 to 6 degree gap.  

So when you say plenty of people, and a lot of us, you are incorrect.  You are an anomaly in this day and age.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but Costco missed the boat here I think.  The 52 really only works for mass market if the set gap is a 48* like titleist has, then you can have a 5 wedge bag.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

2 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

I'm sitting here thinking of all the people I have played golf with recently and I can't think of anyone who plays that config, except maybe one low handicap guy whom I haven't played with in a couple of years.  My regular group has no wedges with more than 58* and almost all carry a set GW.  Sure it's a viable and traditional set, but it just doesn't fit with modern iron sets, which now all have PW's between 43 and 45 degrees.  some even less.  Only blades have PW's at 46 or 47 degrees, then you are still looking at a 5 to 6 degree gap.  

So when you say plenty of people, and a lot of us, you are incorrect.  You are an anomaly in this day and age.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but Costco missed the boat here I think.  The 52 really only works for mass market if the set gap is a 48* like titleist has, then you can have a 5 wedge bag.  

Shrug. Strictly by the numbers and lofts of standard sets, I can see what you're saying and agree-- but I'm not convinced its universal.

It's really going to come down to the player. The 6 people I play with routinely that carry wedges all have P and a 56* for sure. A couple have set gap and 2/3 have lob wedges at 60*.  Apparently I hit the CBX2 54* within 4y avg of the Wilson Staff HT 56*, 4yds of the cheap Bombtech 56*, and within 1y of the Glide 3.0 56*. The Miz T20 56* is within 2y of the Jaws 5 54* avg. and within 4y of the SM8 56* I can keep going on and on but you get the point. Every club, setup, and person will have different results. Mine certainly are not conclusive on the matter. 

Most people that aren't gearheads like us don't even think about a 50/54/58 split until they've selected a head, and their fitter tests their gapping. For the beginner to avg golfer this will be an opportunity to try wedges that may be higher quality than some of the other "set" wedges available for under $200. For some people they will be amazing and just what they needed/wanted at a steal of a price. And for others, like you, they're Costco trying to jump on the bandwagon and fame generated by the Ksig. Sadly, we won't know till we try em'! 

At the end of the day anyone looking to get the most precision and to squeeze the max advantage out of clubs for their game is going to be fit individually for the three different wedges, will be happy to spend the money to do so, and will likely be fine tuning shaft, grip, grind, loft, lie, and swing weight. The rest will be happy to have three shiny new wedges for the cost of a cheap putter. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

4 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

How on earth can you say he is incorrect ? Just because your experience says so ? Interesting you know what everybody plays though. Personally I seldom look into other players' bags unless I see something that piques my interest - and certainly not to check out their wedge setup.

52, 56, 60 is a traditional grouping and yes, because the older sets ended with the PW at 48, the 52/56/60 "worked out".

But even with a 45* PW, you know the 52/56/60 is no longer the prevailing grouping ? :classic_blink:

Personally, I've dumped my 4 hybrid because it and the 3 hybrid were within 5 yards of 1 another, not the 10-12 I might expect. Bent the PW from 45 to 44 and added a 48 to keep the gaps even.

But maybe that's just me. :classic_wink:

• Like 2

Titleist Pro V1X

On 11/5/2020 at 1:42 PM, me05501 said:

The main thing that this package helps us understand is that there is a HUGE markup in a $150 wedge. I'm assuming labor and materials in a $150 must be down around $35-40. Cleveland/Callaway/Titleist probably sell those wedges to retailers for $95 and the retailer makes the difference. 

Since Costco only sells direct to consumers, they can look at the same economics, change the grip and shaft to "their" brand, and get each wedge made for $25-30. They sell three of them for $169 and make similar margins to a retail golf shop, BUT they don't have to worry about inventory balances between various lofts and finishes etc. That's where the "value" comes from on both their end and the consumer's end.

However, if you buy the three wedge set and only one of the three sticks in your bag, who really won? Costco did. 

They aren’t spending $25-30 a wedge to make these.  You can buy an open design wedge head at retail for $15, a pretty good shaft for $4, grip for $1 and 2 minutes of assembly time.  I’d bet with packaging and shipping the WHOLE set, cost them no more than $50, my bet is that number is way closer to $40.  10k+ units of each head, cost will be about $3 each.  $1.40 per shaft, $.60 per grip. Assembly used to be $3 per club in mass production, so I’m going to over shoot at $5, $30 in clubs, leaving $20 for packaging and shipping.  A company of this size and volume, no way they are dealing with coordinating all these efforts for “standard” margins.

• Like 1