Costco 3 Wedge set

Bought a set in my local Costco and took them to the course yesterday.

First hole, knocked the 60 to 4 feet.

I think the 56 and the 60 will find a home in the hoofer, the 52 which I was hoping would be my full 100 yard stick, will not replace my current Ping gap.

The build, look and feel of these clubs are really good.

My only issue is that my close up vision sucks, and the 3 clubs look identical in the bag. Nothing a dab of fluorescent paint fill can't fix.

My current wedges (were) Titleist Vokey and Cleveland CG.

Long story short, so far....

Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Like 2

X________________________________ Sign Here

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure about the wedges but a hotdog and a drink is $1.50.   Interestingly both the wedges and hotdog are less than you’d pay at the course.

I am sure Titleist has their engineers cutting them apart right now to see if they can file some more lawsuits.

How much? Does it come with a free hot dog? Didn't want to disappoint.

Posted Images

On 11/7/2020 at 10:20 PM, DC300 said:

They aren’t spending $25-30 a wedge to make these.  You can buy an open design wedge head at retail for $15, a pretty good shaft for $4, grip for $1 and 2 minutes of assembly time.  I’d bet with packaging and shipping the WHOLE set, cost them no more than $50, my bet is that number is way closer to $40.  10k+ units of each head, cost will be about $3 each.  $1.40 per shaft, $.60 per grip. Assembly used to be $3 per club in mass production, so I’m going to over shoot at $5, $30 in clubs, leaving $20 for packaging and shipping.  A company of this size and volume, no way they are dealing with coordinating all these efforts for “standard” margins.

You are wrong and apparently do not understand Costco's business model. Costco caps their Kirkland Signature product markups at 15%. So the entire wedge set with packaging costs them around $135. BTW, they cap outside brands at 14% markup.

Edited by trackcoach13

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Sooooo.... Some data. Make your own conclusions!

SM8 56* 10 bounce-- Ignore the label it was a typo 

hOdeOMgiU8SvlYs3s479hNRr8dxhhcPbMPW_9S24f4wHgmuQ_ngour2n1B0bhphP4Y6xWM4jc3nrTNPC7saFZGKkaVuqYQqyMK1Uau-41TSLfbyV-C9brTfbE-Y8F4_bkKfo-eJ4ZUiS19Og9vxA1X3icvuSuNCxnz9aY9O63sNH3rmoj2hlvjpRozN6b7VDyyW4_XIpFyaR1kIlBVC61l2AsmpclhdEpi3_8uJtI_IPPQBZJg7u5Ey-bhzeHqC4LIwb_5Gvk2j8pLYrEthdpnVQIvUDcsCdaR8qHhUB3gOKDHqgpzusK5Do5IQSnbyVWZzrKBZPHWwGXNJITfHXciKT0dy-ooPEk_KXrEbBVLVJVei7ImTPZk1lKXho2gDstwQ_hJsLxWpFnWKI5T4s7KBuSv8xV5dbTfOjDEI8KnBSpUTmaVJV0g_YGm5A3wDci6KfXHfb-gqV2R6Nw2oRYl1YwKuo-S3R1G0qOIOELG7uHMqv5XSg1woIEbSyAmOMZPnvsUHo1HI5Egq2Du5qa_D0cet4AQ4J77MnqWaCsyiLmwTnnFQLDcFIeyyix4zB6rwsm7f2qToQqaoM5Dlk9eZmoi8i0rNAcssWelsCPU2D7pVSjlJbpyLAL_Cd3Zs6y9pGpyJzn72YIjYrq3itWUAnWtwL2uZg12ZiXojU3z-CHgTNm-63s4tE5iiE=w1157-h867-no?authuser=3

Zipcore 56* 10 Bounce

16UAYTYyw-MLPIKEh-utw3IElsnYubq68kxpDBSbVKE1Q569do9Psl0jvbBaa7aLXYlpoeU8T2-WHnknCpL6r5k_9uctZzLqGRAoeGVtgHAP3Aw8WvBW8775NDHcPj4mVtV7A9MV-r-MlMdKzo1bLAcV60ykhNWgs_ni8HG3QlCX6tDeg9w3wnVZUqDu25RVXWLgaLE2R-3WxMmtIxWzPqaT59QEy2ARsRkpMC_hDPh-xZUXiaROcXmcAJxVPCDJBGpnD-jIlvVOSnjr1RY2F4QLRU6zWyVVAJNUNNUFOIijet36k9G6WSnKnjCHrE5bqE1mWTT6ykyvpUq7WxtAYM_UPHo6X3HocFPlXgZ2eXrORGLXNzK39ywBaRCZ5D1Il2sk_L1RkVAWwqeWDB9pCjfRdZp1TELbodRVwUw5rsIxvtr7uvDf9UaClAtFJwiykz4HS5xtx4NXyTAECmMgxDewrejIRUkmx4htNG46W0XfHiaJ5hpWPHyhKLLdkVEO1FdKFK-gUJ6NNn__Kg6jEUfTYFUNstT2D390twcGnkdpQv2OZVTSl0pjy6k2GJ0I7NPc1AfYYxBG3PWl4fOMxZA_YDtT84bi2wBzmSEy3O59OwxyQxVoXta8HbVteuJRhFaqTmru9ArJDEHFA9CT4QpK7G6ayZaYWHcUI_emjSTSlSUzE-DuV6nkTriJ=w1157-h867-no?authuser=3

Ksig 56* 10 bounce (with outlier)

thNhD4HbhEoMBgQ40a4-6j09XL-jLMW5b03j1a4iDTYZKUB5NpNk2aWnMurdTSfW3sAFiVRvzZljt8h1vT0qqcgf6VIMGjBlYW86qXTUUSLHzPY938mYbKz905ykuYJ8mdCW3PdVJGEb1bqQisBGJKk7h5I_PnpQnMfgmD9jfLI-eXDwTMB848FevHW72Z1fiaoOPVkYtF1OxpFFFtsS2Nm4bwnQOV_MUh1mjtRnbnW2sNeVkvIBbgWe5RmrQteB9L56rPSBvU8V2QFhS2T6PvDHBgSUV8PGerkNlm2Lh8e6Xybtsekz-7VcZFtyoCW61df7HqyMIz0P7tklu5iFEWQw6aoUsxf7WbjH4XROUDu8AeyL5jj2sTHwWrooWw1vZ1HuOd1_IyyQt1N7ssYktLoAayXPU0PqQ7KRMjuGeSzp2XDu8nUvXb8Nh7xxg7CGJQVei--_TgcfPfGIn5wMVFVTbzOVh1rvizpj6knXM88WGS1e2pnP8FCLDqW90dKQuGsUvEgTRLj9_FK8yViYt2oJPT06ZY8ExvVS_uaBh3ZWpA_FHRtc-IgCJw4Ww3oCJvlI7GoBsO3jtoQyVfwMGxNyOMsH1_P96waKMUgF2k_cN0Rv0RpjtXzB6MEeGWK6zy7qS3b1cKLZ8m34O_8aeMFzkrLcKkaLKV4kK_JVZUZhvK4ZoP7fxaUTNlS8=w1157-h867-no?authuser=3

T20 56* 10 Bounce

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-G w/ KBS 105 $-Taper XS

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line Center Shaft

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

19 minutes ago, Silentbob6 said:

Pics aren’t working for me on mobile 

Sorry, they're probably too big. Please see below for the essentials. I used the same 2 ProV1s

Club       | Carry  |  Total | Backspin  | Height |  Launch | Ball Spd

T20        | 98y     |  99y   | 10,142rpm| 31y      | 34.7       | 84.7mph

SM8       | 93y     |  94y   | 9,126rpm  | 30y     | 36.5       | 81.1mph

ZipCore | 92y    |  93y   | 10,155rpm | 32y     | 36.2       | 83.7mph

KSig       |  98y    |  98y   |  9,953rpm | 32y    | 35.3       | 85.2mph

Edited by AcesAndHoles

These wedges are quite nice and real OEM quality.  They aren't beginner wedges at all.  I really like them on full and partial full swings.  They are easy to control and have nice balance.  I haven't gotten to hit a huge variety of shots with them yet.  My only concern would be short pitches from tight/wet lies.  The leading edge is pretty sharp.  But those shots are tough for mid handicappers with any wedge.  But I see these as more of a mid and low handicap wedge set. I probably wish the swingweight was a point higher for me and the KSig logo is a bit large, but I hit them very well so not sure I'm complaining about.   They'll be in the bag.

On 11/6/2020 at 3:10 AM, RVD90277 said:

but most people aren't as superficial as i am.

75% of golfers are though😉

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

6 hours ago, winegr said:

These wedges are quite nice and real OEM quality.  They aren't beginner wedges at all.  I really like them on full and partial full swings.  They are easy to control and have nice balance.  I haven't gotten to hit a huge variety of shots with them yet.  My only concern would be short pitches from tight/wet lies.  The leading edge is pretty sharp.  But those shots are tough for mid handicappers with any wedge.  But I see these as more of a mid and low handicap wedge set. I probably wish the swingweight was a point higher for me and the KSig logo is a bit large, but I hit them very well so not sure I'm complaining about.   They'll be in the bag.

I definitely concur with a lot of what your said. I wish they were a point higher as well (I really like the SW of the vokeys) and the fact that I'd switch to midsize grips doesn't help. I can tell you this, I played with them in downright soggy dew conditions this morning and didn't have any issues. We're talking shake the club out it was so wet after hitting a shot, then cleaning it with a towel. You could definitely feel the ball slipping off the face but it's not much different than any other wedge or iron I've hit. Not much will save you in those conditions except for maybe the Ping tech. 

28 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

75% of golfers are though😉

God FORBID someone shows up without a ProV1 Hat to support their 36 handicap 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ninjab said:

Golfworks TSW Wedge Pak is $44 assembled, can pick your lofts and how many wedges you want.

Cheaper, custom options, not sure why you would pay more for Costco wedges. 

One custom 56* wedge was $81.17. when I priced it. 

3 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

One custom 56* wedge was $81.17. when I priced it. 

Yes, if you select a specific shaft it will cost more.  But to compare to the Costco wedges, which appear to be a nice deal in itself, the TSW wedge Pak with the TT Score shaft ( a perfectly fine shaft) with 6 loft options, assembled including any loft/lie adjustments for $44 is something that can't be matched at that price.

41 minutes ago, Sparky14 said:

Yes, if you select a specific shaft it will cost more.  But to compare to the Costco wedges, which appear to be a nice deal in itself, the TSW wedge Pak with the TT Score shaft ( a perfectly fine shaft) with 6 loft options, assembled including any loft/lie adjustments for $44 is something that can't be matched at that price.

But if I hate them I can't return them to Golfworks if I hit them.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the reviews, I just picked up a set at Costco. I was having trouble with Vokeys a few years ago. I've had the Cleveland CBX's for last few years seem to work well for me, but they're a little worn. As a mid handicapper I hope I came make these work, if not I'll save the box. lol

Got all winter to practice.

Spoiler

Stay the Course; and my the Course be with you!

2 hours ago, mjforn said:

Thanks for the reviews, I just picked up a set at Costco. I was having trouble with Vokeys a few years ago. I've had the Cleveland CBX's for last few years seem to work well for me, but they're a little worn. As a mid handicapper I hope I came make these work, if not I'll save the box. lol

Got all winter to practice.

For me, these work much better than the CBX. They are more accurate and more versatile. 

Two rounds in (my rounds are my practice sessions, I hate ranges).

I like these wedges a LOT. So far they've done everything asked, and have done it well. As the confidence grows, of course the shot making improves.

The 56 is my new green side chipper, and the 60 is for 60-70 yard approaches, green side bunkers, and shortsided flops.

Haven't holed any chips yet, but did hit the stick from a bunker!

Haters gonna hate, but dayum these clubs are hard not to like.

• Like 4

X________________________________ Sign Here

On 11/11/2020 at 12:24 PM, Sparky14 said:

Sounds good. I'm sure they have a place in a lot of bags. Same idea for the Bombtech wedges. $117 for three with one of the codes is a great set for any bag. 

So I kept putting these wedges in the bag and then taking them back out because I couldn't get the distances right. My normal gamers are 54 and 58 SM7. I decided to put them back in for a round and make myself give them an honest shot. My only real complaint was the leading edge seemed to be sharper and I was more prone to slicing under the turf and not making as good of contact with the ball. Made a little tweak to my swing/stance and that fixed the problem. The wedges spin well, look great at address, and were nice on the pocketbook. My uncle is a true Titleist fan and even he had very nice things to say about the wedges. Other than when they are in the bag and you can see the logo, nothing about them screams "off brand" or "budget".

Considering I was looking for a new set of wedges since my old ones were getting worn and dinged, these will stay in my bag for a while. I'm happy with them and once I spend some more time with them I'm confident I'll be even happier. I don't have any problems spending big $ on new clubs but I don't love spending big $ either. ;)

There are some who complained about some of the grips coming slightly out of alignment so the logo or the white dot not being on the top. My wedges are the same but I have NEVER trusted a grip to tell me where the top of the club is. The putters with twisted grips is obviously a different deal.

And a comment about the choice of lofts of the wedges, I swing the AP1 irons which have a 43* wedge and it came with a set matching 48* gap wedge. I had replaced that 48 with a 48 SM7. I don't know how many people with strong lofted irons know that they are actually strong lofted or not but if they come with a set matching "gap" wedge and they picked these up then they would technically have 2 gap wedges. I'm in that boat. Not a big deal, just an extra scoring club. ;)

6 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

So I kept putting these wedges in the bag and then taking them back out because I couldn't get the distances right. My normal gamers are 54 and 58 SM7. I decided to put them back in for a round and make myself give them an honest shot. My only real complaint was the leading edge seemed to be sharper and I was more prone to slicing under the turf and not making as good of contact with the ball. Made a little tweak to my swing/stance and that fixed the problem. The wedges spin well, look great at address, and were nice on the pocketbook. My uncle is a true Titleist fan and even he had very nice things to say about the wedges. Other than when they are in the bag and you can see the logo, nothing about them screams "off brand" or "budget".

Considering I was looking for a new set of wedges since my old ones were getting worn and dinged, these will stay in my bag for a while. I'm happy with them and once I spend some more time with them I'm confident I'll be even happier. I don't have any problems spending big $ on new clubs but I don't love spending big $ either. 😉

There are some who complained about some of the grips coming slightly out of alignment so the logo or the white dot not being on the top. My wedges are the same but I have NEVER trusted a grip to tell me where the top of the club is. The putters with twisted grips is obviously a different deal.

They really do look great at address. Hard not to like. 

16 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

And a comment about the choice of lofts of the wedges, I swing the AP1 irons which have a 43* wedge and it came with a set matching 48* gap wedge. I had replaced that 48 with a 48 SM7. I don't know how many people with strong lofted irons know that they are actually strong lofted or not but if they come with a set matching "gap" wedge and they picked these up then they would technically have 2 gap wedges. I'm in that boat. Not a big deal, just an extra scoring club. 😉

I'm having a similar issue. I play straight irons and a driver so I have some room in my bag. The 52* KSig seems to be hitting the 110yd range for me from my first 2 hits without digging into the how and why. I also have a set gap wedge coming from Wilson which should fit into the 120y slot based on my other clubs. If that holds true it should give me damn near perfect gapping. I'm still considering other wedges, but it may actually work out for me. No issues here keeping two G in my bag

On 9/26/2020 at 7:16 PM, 1Mordrid1 said:

If they test anywhere near the performance of the big name brands they could make a pretty big wave in wedge sales. the last 5 wedges I have purchased(PING Glide 3.0 and Callaway PM Grind 19) were all $159 each.....Look at what the KS1 Signature putter has done at $149. At $159 for 3 wedges they could be a big hit if they get a couple of positive Youtube personality reviews.

Actually that's an excellent point.

Clearly(?) Kirkland has gotten a company to put together a random generic club head, cheap shaft and cheap grip, stamp them Kirkland, and are selling them for $159 for the 3 wedges.

Wonder why the same method produced a single $159 putter ?

Because they can ? 

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

14 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Clearly(?) Kirkland has gotten a company to put together a random generic club head, cheap shaft and cheap grip, stamp them Kirkland, and are selling them for $159 for the 3 wedges.

Because they can ? 

Likely because designing and milling a putter head, complete with ports for weights, costs more than producing a wedge clubhead?  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

6 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Likely because designing and milling a putter head, complete with ports for weights, costs more than producing a wedge clubhead?  🙂

Yeah, I'd thought of that. But 3 TIMES the price ? ¯\_()_/¯

• Like 1

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

Because they can ? 

I'm not so sure that it's all so generic, or that "cheap" is the right word. The milling on the face is pretty intense and the spin rate is up there with all of the top brands. The shaft is supposedly marked a true temper as well. The grip... yeah the grip is cheappppp😄

By the same margin, what makes a Scotty Cameron Phantom X $430? -- because they can. You can play without wedges but not so practically without a putter. Wedges are also designed to be in multiples. Can't say I've ever seen more than one putter in a bag. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AcesAndHoles said:

I'm not so sure that it's all so generic, or that "cheap" is the right word. The milling on the face is pretty intense and the spin rate is up there with all of the top brands. The shaft is supposedly marked a true temper as well. The grip... yeah the grip is cheappppp😄

By the same margin, what makes a Scotty Cameron Phantom X $430? -- because they can. You can play without wedges but not so practically without a putter. Wedges are also designed to be in multiples. Can't say I've ever seen more than one putter in a bag. 

I wouldn't call the wedges "generic" of the shaft "cheap". The shaft is indeed a True Temper, says so right on there. The grip is what I would call "inexpensive standard" as it feels very similar to my Golf Pride Tour Velvet. If they are a knockoff, time will tell on how well they wear in but you aren't going to wear out the grips on a wedge the way you would on your longer clubs, right?

2 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Well, all I called cheap was the grip, which you confirmed. But I'm thinking it probably applies to other parts as well. True Temper, I expect, makes all manner of shafts.

What makes Scottys worth it is that people are willing to pay for it. And yes, the name carries a premium because of reputation and presence on Tour - and "track record". No matter how many Cameron trashers there are around.

And let's not diminish the expense of R&D. Golf companies are golf companies and they spend s ton of $$$ on R&D. Whether it's worth it or not is up to the buyer but they have to recoup their costs from somebody.

Costco/Kirkland is not a golf company and they are also a volume operations with (presumably) smaller(?) margins than a company that specializes. Wonder what Costco/Kirk's R&D costs were on their golf equipment ? Employees they have to pay to make the equipment ? Advertising ?

But whatever, if the equipment works for golfers, it works. I certainly don't spend any more $$$ than I (feel I) have to.  :classic_cool:

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

On 11/13/2020 at 3:22 PM, nsxguy said:

Well, all I called cheap was the grip, which you confirmed. But I'm thinking it probably applies to other parts as well. True Temper, I expect, makes all manner of shafts.

What makes Scottys worth it is that people are willing to pay for it. And yes, the name carries a premium because of reputation and presence on Tour - and "track record". No matter how many Cameron trashers there are around.

And let's not diminish the expense of R&D. Golf companies are golf companies and they spend s ton of $$$ on R&D. Whether it's worth it or not is up to the buyer but they have to recoup their costs from somebody.

Costco/Kirkland is not a golf company and they are also a volume operations with (presumably) smaller(?) margins than a company that specializes. Wonder what Costco/Kirk's R&D costs were on their golf equipment ? Employees they have to pay to make the equipment ? Advertising ?

But whatever, if the equipment works for golfers, it works. I certainly don't spend any more $$$ than I (feel I) have to.  :classic_cool:

Fair enough. Like was said above the grips are basically what you'd find with the GP Standard. Time will tell but so far I'm really liking these wedges. I played in very cold/wet conditions yesterday and didn't find a lack of spin or stopping power. Whatever they did with R/D or copied from someone else seems to be working pretty darn well and the numbers stack up so far. We'll see what happens over time. I can't say that I've played an xs shaft in a wedge other than my P but I'd be very curious to see what a "premium" setup would put out with the KSig head.