Most positive and negative experience of pro as spectator on-course IRL.

Hankshank

Actually following guys. 

For me Southern Scandinavian Sören Kjeldsen was probably the most positive experience I have had, following a player. Polite, friendly and good-humoured even if certainly reacting to ups and downs in the game.

Colin Montgomerie undoubtedly the worst. Pompous, haughty and directly unfriendly to spectators. Happily, you see few golfers nowadays acting seriously bad to people paying to watch them playing. Some do react bad to own poor shots, but you do not see that much. I do love players reacting. But reactions to own poor shots can be interesting or not at all pleasant. 

• Like 1

Watched Faldo many times, he never turned down an autograph when practising, despite his reputation.

wasn’t impressed with Matt Wallace last year. Hit an average shot to a par 3, very quiet ripple of applause and he snaps ‘don’t applaud shots like that’ to no one in particular. Pathetic 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I wouldn't say this was positive or negative, just eye-opening, but last year at the Japan Open, I was watching in the woods on the right side of the 18th fairway. Hiroshi Iwata (he's played some golf in the USA) hit his drive close  to where I was, so I was looking forward to getting a really good, up-close listen and view of how a pro deals with a rescue shot. He had a tricky shot; either punch out sideways, or thread the needle through the trees, and I was hoping to hear him discuss the shot with his caddy. He was having a bad round and was no longer in the hunt. He arrived at the ball looking really pissed off and just grabbed a club, and smacked one out through the trees. It was over in seconds. The guy just DNGAF. I was still pondering his options while he hit the ball! Unbelievably quick.

Otherwise, years ago in the Scottish Open, Wayne Grady was really friendly. This was before he won the PGA. I like to think our little chat together helped him win.

50 years ago, practice rounds did not have ropes up and you could walk with players.  My favorite time to attend.  Myself and about 10 others spent a couple of hours with Gary Player.  The man could not have been more gracious, and put on what amounted to a private clinic.  In the same time frame, I followed Lanny Wadkins, he was very scratchy and offered nothing.  At the time John Schroeder was the long guy, so I followed him and Tom Jenkins at Preston Trails.  There were two young kids following along, sort of visiting with TJ.  Somewhere on the back nine, TJ discovered that one of the kids had a little camera.  He stopped, got both kids together, knelt with them by his bag and had his caddie take a picture for them.  Unbelievably nice.  Jump forward a few decades, I followed Phil for an entire tournament round.  What you see on camera is what you see off-camera.  He engaged with little kids, responded nicely to inane comments, just a very nice man.  Same tournament, rain delay.  As we were heading for the buses, the players were going back out to play.  Standing right by the ropes was a youngster, Puma from head to toe.  Ricky was walking along, saw this kid, went over and talked to him, gave him a glove and autographed his hat.  First class.  Worst I've ever seen was Tom Weiskopf in a Pro-Am.  He didn't walk with his ams, he didn't talk to them, it was like a 4-some with one tagalong.

Walked a practice round with Brad Faxon, Billy Andrade, and Jack Kaye JR. at Greensboro in the late 80s. It was early, and I was the only guy out there, so they walked off the first green, and introduced themselves to me. I walked the whole 18, and they treated me like I was the fourth in the group. I really can't remember any negative experiences. I've seen some guys that looked pretty miserable, but they never said or did anything.

• Like 2

Best was olazabal at the Dunhill links in 2007. Hit a wayward tee shot nearly hitting me and a friend during a practice round and he stopped and talked for five minutes. Was really apologetic, gave us a ball each and laughed and joked all the way down the hole with us.

Worst was Ian poulter at the same tournament. A family friend who was 15 had been diagnosed with cancer so I was getting a golf shirt signed for him. Samuel L Jackson (as an aside, great man. Said he’d sign the shirt if I was still there after he warmed up and then stopped to talk for five minutes and asked the lads name and was just such a humble guy), Hugh grant, open champion Padraig Harrington, Justin Rose, Westwood etc were all too happy to sign the shirt and spent time chatting on the range. Ian poulter refused to sign anything as he had a cold. I politely explained to his caddie what the shirt was for and the fact that poulter was my friends favourite player and the caddie just said Ian won’t sign anything today as he’s under the weather. Poulter could clearly hear me and ever since i always wish his ball would go in a bunker/water hazard/etc. Having a cold is not an excuse. I’ve heard similar stories about poulter treating fans badly at other events.

Edited by philly2kuk

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

From Canadian Open’s near my house as a kid

the best were Nicklaus, Stadler, Johnny Miller, Cookie, Payne, Leitzke, Azinger

Stadler, Miller and Zinger went out of their way.  “Get under the ropes kid and I’m only doing a pic if you call me Craig” etc

John Cook and Payne, very active banter with me and others throughout the round

worst two ... Trevino and Jacobsen

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

3 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Walked a practice round with Brad Faxon, Billy Andrade, and Jack Kaye JR. at Greensboro in the late 80s. It was early, and I was the only guy out there, so they walked off the first green, and introduced themselves to me. I walked the whole 18, and they treated me like I was the fourth in the group. I really can't remember any negative experiences. I've seen some guys that looked pretty miserable, but they never said or did anything.

So glad to hear that about Andrade.  The best stories from Feinstein's books tend to be about how the guys met their wives, and frankly, Andrade's story is the best of them all.  Always rooted for him after reading that.

• Like 1

Ive only been to one event in my life, 2009 Presidents Cup on Friday.

Tiger was walking ahead of Stevie in the fairway my buddy and I were calling Tigers name and there was no one around us within 30-40 yards, he didnt acknowledge us at all. Now in the same place just a few minutes later came Phil, we tried the same thing and without hesitation looked right at us pointed and said "Hey guys" we thought that was so cool. 

14 hours ago, cardoustie said:

From Canadian Open’s near my house as a kid

the best were Nicklaus, Stadler, Johnny Miller, Cookie, Payne, Leitzke, Azinger

Stadler, Miller and Zinger went out of their way.  “Get under the ropes kid and I’m only doing a pic if you call me Craig” etc

John Cook and Payne, very active banter with me and others throughout the round

worst two ... Trevino and Jacobsen

Loads of good and bad experiences, but my wife and I were on holiday having a lovely breakfast on the small terrace of a hotel in Santa Monica (actually the hotel where the start of Get Shorty was filmed). Obnoxious conversation / lecture going on behind us, she was getting annoyed.... yep Peter Jacobsen. She still throws things at the tv if I point out he’s on. 

When I was a teen (early 80's) following Trevino during practice rounds was so much fun. Very entertaining and interactive with the gallery.

As an adult, following Stricker with his wife caddying on the Champions Tour.  Steve is clearly just an all round class act and very nice guy.

Worst experience-- Tiger. Not because of Tiger, but the giant mass of idiot fans and obnoxious autograph hounds that followed him around. 

• Like 1

Vijay Singh had a light moment with John Daly as I was following them during a 2008 PGA Championship practice round at Oakland Hills. Daly boomed his drive. Vijay, who hit his drive considerably shorter, walks up to his ball, points to it, and says it is John's. Daly just turns around and laughs.

Also at Oakland Hills during a practice round, I was impressed with Phil who, after some contemplation, decided to hit a shot which landed in the bunker, where he could've easily picked it up and moved along. He knows how to play to a gallery for sure.

At Akron I decided to follow Ben Crenshaw for a hole with not many people around. After parring the hole, I happened to catch a glaring glance. Needless to say, that is where I stopped following him.  

Corey Pavin, 1995, Ryder Cup at Oak Hill East in Rochester New York.   I worked for Merrill at the time and got a couple of daily passes for the entire event.  I took my big brother (return of a favor - he used to take me to NFL games as a kid; also introduced me to golf).    

Anyway, we're watching them walk by to the practice area and every player, except Pavin, was stopping for the kids to sign autographs.  He turned his nose up and kept walking.  My brother, mountain (6'-4" 250), leans over the ropes looks down at Pavin and says "what are you SHORT on time you can't sign a few autographs."    

Phil and Fred chuckled.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Bryson couple years ago.  Only 8 were following him.  One guy was wearing the Hogan cap.  He was very polite to the volunteers and thanked them.  He gave the Hogan cap wearing guy a big smile and thumbs up.  

Danny Willet was being serenaded by some drunks at the recent PGA at Bethpage and their drunken song had him cracking up.  He tossed them a ball.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been to the Canadian Open and the President's Cup. 

The guys that stuck out were KJ Choi, who was just the most polite person you can imagine when i was watching. It's like he wanted to acknowledge everyone who was cheering him, would make eye contact and say thank you type stuff. 

Rory Sabbatini during the president's cup really engaged with the crowd. Of course we were the "home" crowd. His wife also would walk up and down the ropes trying to rile up everyone. I am sure this would be different during a regular tour event, but they were easily the most fun group to follow during the PC because of this. 

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've had lots of positives. Chatted up Phil along the 11th fairway from a suite as he walked by, was incredibly friendly and talkative. He was also very open and gracious talking to my brother when he was working an event or two. His wife has been incredibly friendly and nice to talk to on a couple other occasions as well. My brother got a ball from Nick Price during his mid 90s peak when we were kids, still have it somewhere.

Negatives, so hard to say at this is the office for these guys. Had Chris Riley of all people get pissy when people were walking around a green while he was trying to read a putt. Not lining it up, not addressing or even rolling it, just looking it over with his caddie. That one really struck me for some reason as it felt so unnecessary. Some guys just don't want the attention, but I just think that's not their personality. Not everybody is personable with strangers or embraces being the entertainer side of the game. I've had Zach Johnson and Fred Couples separately walk right by me with literally nobody else around and got hardly more than a grunt in return after acknowledging them. When Tiger used to play out here, he would got to the opposite side of the range at Cog Hill, which would attract a crowd to the right of the first hole watching him from 20 or so yards away, and he acknowledged nothing. He was all business on the course by then. I wouldn't call it negative but it certainly wasn't fan friendly like he was early in his career.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

Best was olazabal at the Dunhill links in 2007. Hit a wayward tee shot nearly hitting me and a friend during a practice round and he stopped and talked for five minutes. Was really apologetic, gave us a ball each and laughed and joked all the way down the hole with us.

Worst was Ian poulter at the same tournament. A family friend who was 15 had been diagnosed with cancer so I was getting a golf shirt signed for him. Samuel L Jackson (as an aside, great man. Said he’d sign the shirt if I was still there after he warmed up and then stopped to talk for five minutes and asked the lads name and was just such a humble guy), Hugh grant, open champion Padraig Harrington, Justin Rose, Westwood etc were all too happy to sign the shirt and spent time chatting on the range. Ian poulter refused to sign anything as he had a cold. I politely explained to his caddie what the shirt was for and the fact that poulter was my friends favourite player and the caddie just said Ian won’t sign anything today as he’s under the weather. Poulter could clearly hear me and ever since i always wish his ball would go in a bunker/water hazard/etc. Having a cold is not an excuse. I’ve heard similar stories about poulter treating fans badly at other events.

Similar with Poulter I’m afraid. Friend of a friend knows him quite well and won’t hear of it though. Reality is the majority are like you and me. Turn it on and off for effect lol 

3 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Similar with Poulter I’m afraid. Friend of a friend knows him quite well and won’t hear of it though. Reality is the majority are like you and me. Turn it on and off for effect lol 

Yeah I’m not the only one to have this experience by all accounts. He comes across as a fake odious little man. I can’t even support him in the Ryder cup.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

8 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

I always thought Justin Rose was a good guy.

Til I saw him at the PGA at Bethpage.

He was walking along up the ropes on this par 3 I was hanging out on. Right after I took this shot, he totally snapped. He sneered at me, then crossed under the rope and grabbed my phone and bashed it to pieces with his 6 iron.
I was like, “easy now, JRose, go easy, man”. Then he really lost it and started ranting about how much money he makes. 
I offered him a sip of my beer but he dumped it on the ground and stormed off.

I was pretty disappointed but guess these guys are under a lot of pressure out there.

410F1EB9-67A8-4D7F-A42E-4D2050ED2D99.jpeg

There’s been a few satirical posts recently on wrx that are going over my head a bit 😕

• Like 1

As a teenager at the BC Open practice round I was sitting on the bleachers by myself next to the green.  Jeff Sluman bladed one over the bunker and hit me right in the funny bone of the ankle and profusely apologized, offered me golf balls, etc.  I didn't have a problem with it and he was being too kind.

Watched John Senden, in 90+ degree Florida heat voluntarily walk up a row of fans at Sawgrass and sign every autograph, then walk back down the row and then walk back up the row and sign every autograph he could.

Saw Kevin Chappell take a kid that was probably 7-years old, inside the ropes of a practice round at Sawgrass and let him putt on one of the greens.  The child was with his parents and his parents and it almost brought the mother to tears.

I can't remember who it was that did it, but one pro let my friend's teenage son hit the tee shot on the practice round at the Masters on #16.  

Practice round at Bay Hill, I was with one of my dad's friends who is an enormous Jason Day fan.  I knew that Jason is one of the nicest, most gracious people on the Tour and he was waiting to hit on the 6th tee box.  I decided to give it a shot and asked Jason if he would take a picture with my dad's friend and he was more than happy to do so.

There's a ton of other good stories I've either experienced with Tour players that were in non-spectator situations, but I'll keep my post on-topic.

I won't name names on the negative one, except I did hear a story about Sam Snead at a tournament that was, if true, downright despicable.  I don't believe this friend would lie about the situation, but my friend was one of the most mellow people on earth and even he said that he could feel the veins bulging out of his neck as he wanted to strangle Snead.

At the BC Open one famous Tour pro was on the range trying out the then new Callaway Great Big Bertha.  Saw him hit a few drives with the Tour rep, snap it over his knee and tell the Tour rep that the club sucks and get him a new one.  And the Tour rep was none too happy as he stormed back to the Tour van.

Another less famous Tour pro hit a tee shot that landed in a soft area from the rain the night before and then accused my friend, who I was standing right next to the entire time, of stepping on his ball on purpose.  

There's one particular instructor on Tour that I see him do this all of the time, in the pro-ams he hogs all of the time with the Tour player and the amateurs get no time with the player.  I understand that the pro is still working on his game and that they don't particularly care to play in these pro-ams, but everybody has to play in them (except for the rookies) and for a good reason as at Bay Hill, they pay $8K per player to get into the pro-am.  Most of the guys are good about being personable with the amateurs from time-to-time, but one particular coach always hogs the entire round with the player.  

Another player, a major winner, was paired with 3 asian women in the pro-am and he would putt out and head right to the next tee even though the women were still putting out.  Eventually one of the tournament officials must have heard about it and said something to him.  He would then putt out, walk off the green and then wait for the women to putt-out.

RH

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, RichieHunt said:

Another player, a major winner, was paired with 3 asian women in the pro-am and he would putt out and head right to the next tee even though the women were still putting out.  Eventually one of the tournament officials must have heard about it and said something to him.  He would then putt out, walk off the green and then wait for the women to putt-out.

RH

My Vijay-dar is tingling...if it wasn’t him it should have been! 

I don’t have any specific interactions with players worth reporting. The thing that struck me most about watching tournaments IRL is how most of the players seemed more chilled and less intense than I expected. They were very good at focussing on their shots and quickly relaxing and going back to banter with their caddies or playing partners afterwards.

Edited by GolfTurkey
  • Like 1

Jon Rahm was super cool when I met him at the Genesis back in February. Patrick Reed was also a pretty cool guy as well; which is why I have a hard time jumping on the hate train.

The one guy that stood out to me as kind of an a******? Lee Trevino. I was at the Senior US Open way back in '94 I think it was - played at Pinehurst #2. Met Jack and Arnie - both of whom were exceptionally cool, Arnie especially who stopped to talk to me about my game (pretty amazing experience for a 16 year old) but Trevino's only words to me were "Get the hell out of my way."

Still love his game as he's one of the all time greats but that definitely kinda colored my opinion of him. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

I've never had the desire to shout, stick a hand over the ropes or otherwise attempt to be noticed.  In my view, judging any player on his reaction to being hollered at is irrational.  Encountering them up close on or off the course is a different matter.

Tiger Woods has been screamed at, gawked at, hounded for autographs, photographed and otherwise harassed since he was a teenager, even a child.  The concentration for which he is famous and which earned him his majors and his millions can't just be switched on and off nor should it be.  And yes, the people following him on the course are an obnoxious rabble which makes the problem worse for him than other players and for other spectators.  At Oakmont it was like that wild pack of barking dogs that appear only as a cloud in the cartoon.  The good news:  go where he isn't on the course and you have better sightlines.

At one Memorial Tournament, Kenny Perry & Hale Irwin were in a sudden death playoff.  A drunken fan kept screaming 'HALE!' eventually forcing Irwin to step away from the ball.  Twice.  He still hit a poor shot and Perry ended up winning, no thanks to the moron outside the ropes.

Players at work ie tournaments are often very different to players away from the course.  Granted, this diverges from the thread title but....they are, unsurprisingly, interested in the fairer sex.  I had a college friend - balding, shortish - who was somehow dating a Jessica Alba-type knockout who was out of his league, even his galaxy.  They visited the (in)famous Bogey Inn opposite Muirfield Village GC whereupon every pro he encountered asked him:  'When are you gonna marry that?!?'

At another event we encountered numerous players and caddies at a local watering hole where they were more relaxed and talkative.  Mike Weir, still married and still a Mormon at the time, sipped ice water and watched the numerous screens showing the Stanley Cup Playoffs.  I asked in a stage voice:  'Why is the hockey on?  Is there a left-handed major champion from Canada here or something?'  He gave a sidelong glance and a wry smile, which was my intent.

Weir's caddie, on the other hand, wasted no time in chatting up my missus and the cheeky beggar did same the next day during the tournament at one of the tee boxes.  Golf Channel's Todd Lewis also showed quite the interest in her and a willingness to share some tournament/tour gossip.  Less so with me.  Fair play.

I have a grudging respect for pros that can throw tantrums without making it too obvious.  At the erstwhile 84 Lumber tournament on a very wet course, one Paul Azinger complained loudly about the conditions, hit a wayward drive on the 15th and apparently had enough as he picked up and WD'd then and there.  Dudley Hart was in the same group and also missed the fairway - he jammed his hands in the pockets of his rain pants and uttered an unbroken string of barely-audible oaths as he marched angrily off the tee box.

Back to the course...Brad Faxon was a cool customer.  One of the aforementioned loudmouthed fans kept calling his name during a Masters practice round.  Finally, Faxon had enough.  He stopped in his tracks in the fairway.  'What?' he asked.  The loudmouth gave a longwinded preamble about a lucky penny someone gave him to give to Brad blah blah blah.  He tossed it and Brad caught it.  For only a second.  Brad immediately tossed it back and said 'I have enough luck!'  Hooray for Brad Faxon!

The Masters in general is a unique environment, to state the obvious.  However, while the competitive tension is sky-high, the players nevertheless seem more relaxed because they know that a) the patrons in general are a mostly well-behaved lot and b) Augusta National will deal quickly and quietly with any of those who are not.

Finally, I'd like to take this opportunity to make a somewhat public apology to Frank Nobilo, who was was/is one of my favorite players and commentators.  I was talking loudly as we crested a hill at the Memorial not realizing a tee box was on the other side.  I distracted Frank who pulled his drive and rightly gave me a death stare.  Sorry, again, Frank.  Completely my fault.

• Like 4

On 9/27/2020 at 4:51 PM, Bluefan75 said:

So glad to hear that about Andrade.  The best stories from Feinstein's books tend to be about how the guys met their wives, and frankly, Andrade's story is the best of them all.  Always rooted for him after reading that.

Story ?

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, chillybilly said:

I've never had the desire to shout, stick a hand over the ropes or otherwise attempt to be noticed.  In my view, judging any player on his reaction to being hollered at is irrational.  Encountering them up close on or off the course is a different matter.

Tiger Woods has been screamed at, gawked at, hounded for autographs, photographed and otherwise harassed since he was a teenager, even a child.  The concentration for which he is famous and which earned him his majors and his millions can't just be switched on and off nor should it be.  And yes, the people following him on the course are an obnoxious rabble which makes the problem worse for him than other players and for other spectators.  At Oakmont it was like that wild pack of barking dogs that appear only as a cloud in the cartoon.  The good news:  go where he isn't on the course and you have better sightlines.

At one Memorial Tournament, Kenny Perry & Hale Irwin were in a sudden death playoff.  A drunken fan kept screaming 'HALE!' eventually forcing Irwin to step away from the ball.  Twice.  He still hit a poor shot and Perry ended up winning, no thanks to the moron outside the ropes.

Players at work ie tournaments are often very different to players away from the course.  Granted, this diverges from the thread title but....they are, unsurprisingly, interested in the fairer sex.  I had a college friend - balding, shortish - who was somehow dating a Jessica Alba-type knockout who was out of his league, even his galaxy.  They visited the (in)famous Bogey Inn opposite Muirfield Village GC whereupon every pro he encountered asked him:  'When are you gonna marry that?!?'

At another event we encountered numerous players and caddies at a local watering hole where they were more relaxed and talkative.  Mike Weir, still married and still a Mormon at the time, sipped ice water and watched the numerous screens showing the Stanley Cup Playoffs.  I asked in a stage voice:  'Why is the hockey on?  Is there a left-handed major champion from Canada here or something?'  He gave a sidelong glance and a wry smile, which was my intent.

Weir's caddie, on the other hand, wasted no time in chatting up my missus and the cheeky beggar did same the next day during the tournament at one of the tee boxes.  Golf Channel's Todd Lewis also showed quite the interest in her and a willingness to share some tournament/tour gossip.  Less so with me.  Fair play.

I have a grudging respect for pros that can throw tantrums without making it too obvious.  At the erstwhile 84 Lumber tournament on a very wet course, one Paul Azinger complained loudly about the conditions, hit a wayward drive on the 15th and apparently had enough as he picked up and WD'd then and there.  Dudley Hart was in the same group and also missed the fairway - he jammed his hands in the pockets of his rain pants and uttered an unbroken string of barely-audible oaths as he marched angrily off the tee box.

Back to the course...Brad Faxon was a cool customer.  One of the aforementioned loudmouthed fans kept calling his name during a Masters practice round.  Finally, Faxon had enough.  He stopped in his tracks in the fairway.  'What?' he asked.  The loudmouth gave a longwinded preamble about a lucky penny someone gave him to give to Brad blah blah blah.  He tossed it and Brad caught it.  For only a second.  Brad immediately tossed it back and said 'I have enough luck!'  Hooray for Brad Faxon!

The Masters in general is a unique environment, to state the obvious.  However, while the competitive tension is sky-high, the players nevertheless seem more relaxed because they know that a) the patrons in general are a mostly well-behaved lot and b) Augusta National will deal quickly and quietly with any of those who are not.

Finally, I'd like to take this opportunity to make a somewhat public apology to Frank Nobilo, who was was/is one of my favorite players and commentators.  I was talking loudly as we crested a hill at the Memorial not realizing a tee box was on the other side.  I distracted Frank who pulled his drive and rightly gave me a death stare.  Sorry, again, Frank.  Completely my fault.

Absolutely loved the post. Your description of Tiger fans behavior is perfectly articulated. 

Been fortunate to meet a few guys over the years (European tour), worked at the matchplay at London club a few years back driving players between tees on 2 holes. Stenson v funny and engaging, as was gmac, everyone was except Paul Casey, he was the only one to not say thank you, didnt say a word and also spat off the back of the buggy and it went on a fans shoe, then got annoyed with fans being in his way when he walked the wrong way and was trying to get under the ropes to the tee. Speaking to another volunteer he was the only one who didnt sign a flag for his little kid who was there working with him on the range. Absolute d*ckhead.

Also, literally bumped into Thomas Bjorn on the Callaway tour truck and he is a mountain of a man, really polite and nice.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement