CBX2 - 10 handicap player?

Am I out of my mind for considering the Cleveland CBX2 sand (54) and lob (58)?  

Im a 10 handicap currently using older Nike VR Forged wedges.  I have a fairly steep angle of attack and when it comes to full 110 yard sand wedge shots from the fairway I struggle with the thin sole on my Nike wedge.  Tbh, I hit it terribly.  

Every review of the CBX2 talks about forgiveness and high handicappers,  but Cleveland’s website advertises them for mid/low handicappers.  

I realize none of this should matter, and just play what works for you, so with that - are there any mid/low handicappers playing these wedges?

Edited by quikcolin
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The App on my phone tells me I'm an 8 HCP at the moment though some days that feels generous.  I have a CBX2 54deg.  Performs solid on full/touch shots.  I just can't get over the aesthetics, bit clun

I'm a 10, I play CBX2 54 and 58. Put them in the bag in April this year   Here's my observation. I wanted forgiveness on full shots (check) but still wanted playability on chip and pitch sho

When I played more, I was down to abt that handi. But life and time reduced the amount of rounds and practice. Played the rtx 4s and just changed out to the cbx2 all the way through. Def not as pretty

10 minutes ago, quikcolin said:

Am I out of my mind for considering the Cleveland CBX2 sand (54) and lob (58)?  

Im a 10 handicap currently using older Nike VR Forged wedges.  I have a fairly steep angle of attack and when it comes to full 110 yard sand wedge shots from the fairway I struggle with the thin sole on my Nike wedge.  Tbh, I hit it terribly.  

Every review of the CBX2 talks about forgiveness and high handicappers,  but Cleveland’s website advertises them for mid/low handicappers.  

I realize none of this should matter, and just okay what works for you, so with that - are there any mid/low handicappers playing these wedges?

The App on my phone tells me I'm an 8 HCP at the moment though some days that feels generous.  I have a CBX2 54deg.  Performs solid on full/touch shots.  I just can't get over the aesthetics, bit clunky for my eye.  Have an RTX4 60deg and will likely be getting an RTX4 54.  Play well!

• Thanks 1

I'm a 10, I play CBX2 54 and 58. Put them in the bag in April this year

Here's my observation. I wanted forgiveness on full shots (check) but still wanted playability on chip and pitch shots (check). I will say the shaft is a bit light, so I'm intending to make a swap there but overall I've been happy. The soles are wider (the grind on these does relieve some of this) but if you have a steep angle of attack that might not be a bad thing 

There are fewer grind and bounce options than, say Vokeys,  so that is something to keep in mind. They also are bigger so appearance may be an issue. 

I've come to like these more and more and really don't see making a move. I did pick up an effectively brand new set of RTX4 for a steal back in late July. Hitting them side by side, the upside on the full shot forgiveness far outweighs any incremental versatility of the RTX4 so the CBX2 stay in the bag

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, cn34 said:

I'm a 10, I play CBX2 54 and 58. Put them in the bag in April this year

Here's my observation. I wanted forgiveness on full shots (check) but still wanted playability on chip and pitch shots (check). I will say the shaft is a bit light, so I'm intending to make a swap there but overall I've been happy. The soles are wider (the grind on these does relieve some of this) but if you have a steep angle of attack that might not be a bad thing 

There are fewer grind and bounce options than, say Vokeys,  so that is something to keep in mind. They also are bigger so appearance may be an issue. 

I've come to like these more and more and really don't see making a move. I did pick up an effectively brand new set of RTX4 for a steal back in late July. Hitting them side by side, the upside on the full shot forgiveness far outweighs any incremental versatility of the RTX4 so the CBX2 stay in the bag

This is very encouraging.  I’m playing  Nike Vapor Pro Combo Forged irons.  I’m trying to check my ego at the door and game wedges that will help me play, not make me look “like a pro” if you know what I mean.  I think that 54 CBX2 wedge will be physically larger than the Vapor Pro Combo Gap wedge in the bag... but maybe that will inspire confidence?

I did read on one of these threads that the RTX is significantly more forgiving than a Vokey SM8 as an example. 

The CBX is sounding like a real contender 

I'm down to an 8 now (10 at start of year). Previously played a number of other wedges most recently Titleist SM and Nike Engage. Bought the CBX 54 and 58 late last season and they have definitely helped with the handicap. Forgiving, easy to hit from anywhere, good feel. Would recommend. 

• Like 1

Ping G LST
Cobra F6 3 wood
Ping G400 - 3h/4h
Nike Vapor Speed - 5-AW
Cleveland CBX 54*, 58*
Odyssey RX #1

The app on my phone tells me I’m around scratch and I’m using the sand wedge from my G25 iron set, because I love how it performs from 110 yards on full shots

I just ordered a CBX2 54* so hopefully it comes in soon but I’m excited about it. I hope to retain the forgiveness of the Sand wedge from my iron set but provide a bit more versatility around the greens

So no, you are not out of your mind for considering it

• Like 1

PING G410 LST 10.5* - Tensei AV RAW White 65TX

Callaway BB 816 Alpha 16* - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Callaway Epic Flash 18* - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 8X

PING G410 22* - Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X

PING G25 5-SW - Project X PXI 6.0

Callaway MD5 Raw X Grind 60* - DG 115 S200

PING Nome TR

My primary club I use around the greens is a 52/10 CBX.  First cavity back wedge I ever used and it's fantastic.

No real downside to anything.

• Like 1

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R
BB Alpha 815 14 set +1 draw Speeder 665 S
19 & 23 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap JPX825
Scotty Kombi
54/10 Rotex 2.0 56 Tmag ATV

I think the biggest questions are a) does the one available grind suit your needs and b) are you OK with a 115g shaft. The shaft of course can be swapped out or you can custom order a heavier type (although custom orders from Cleveland are currently taking a LONG time). The grind isn't negotiable, one option only, it either works or it doesn't. 

Aside from those two issues, it depends on what kind of "10 hcp" you are. Most of the guys in my group who are in the 9, 10, 12 handicap range (most of the group) have pretty straightforward short games. They're not playing low spinners, Mickelson type high flops or using several different bunker techniques in different situations. For those guys something like CBX 2 works fine.

But I have met a few 10 hcp guys who really get elaborate and creative with their wedge game. I don't think they would care much for CBX 2 because they're so bulky. In my experience most guys in that category are well under 10 hcp, though. The exception would be one older guy (nearly 80?) whose handicap has drifted up to 9 or 10 in recent years because he can't hit the ball as far as he can spit. But he's still a low-handicapper within 40 yards of the green, very precise from all sorts of lies with his Vokeys. He would never even try something like CBX 2.

If the sole profile works for you and you like the look at address why not use them? Nothing wrong with a little extra forgiveness. Plus there are no handicap police at the first tee box telling you what you can and cannot use. 

• Like 1

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

I have the original CBX in 54 and 58 but I'm also a 16 so I'm not exactly in the category of golfer you're looking for feedback from. A buddy is a solid 7 and he has the CBX2 in 50, 54, and 58 and credits those wedges with his 'cap dropping steadily since last season. I'm certainly not the most consistent striker but I've yet to experience any massive differences in distance on full swings. 

Dynamic SoleBe aware that the CBX 2 wedges have different sole grinds as lofts increase.

Pitch and gap have V-sole, Sands have S-sole, and Lobs have C-sole. The

C-sole looks like it can be opened and closed for touch shots. 

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

What about edison wedges?

• Like 1

Driver: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff Fujikura Pro 63

3W: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or PXG 0311X 2I HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: Sub 70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long

Wedges  54*,60*:  Ping S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up

Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab 

Ball: Snell MTB or KSigs or Srixon Z Star XV

I play to a 3 and I play the CBX. Went to them from them conventional blade wedges. Took a little time to get comfortable around the greens, but every time I look at those blades before I play and think of putting them in the bag my head says “ don’t be stupid “. So I go with head and it always works out. Since having these my up and down percentage is 73%. Don’t think I’ll ever go back. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChipNRun said:

Dynamic SoleBe aware that the CBX 2 wedges have different sole grinds as lofts increase.

Pitch and gap have V-sole, Sands have S-sole, and Lobs have C-sole. The

C-sole looks like it can be opened and closed for touch shots. 

FWIW, even though my wedge game is pretty basic I did find that the "S" grind was pretty disappointing. I love my 46 and 52 CBX 2 (V-grind) and truly adore the CBX Full Face 56 and 60 (both with C-grind) but I tried a CBX 2 56 with the S-grind and had little success.

For me the S-grind 56 was shorter than it should play for its loft on full swings and also inconsistent, sometimes going where I aimed and sometimes having an exaggerated cut ballflight. And from bunkers the S-grind seemed to drag in the sand much moreso than the V-grind. It was all very unexpected because visually the S-grind looks mighty similar to the V-grind. 

It reminded me of the time I tried a Vokey SM6 54-degree with Vokey's S-grind (visually a little different than what Cleveland calls "S"). Same left-right misses on full swings and same sense that it was fighting me in bunkers, especially soft sand. Maybe I just have something against the letter S? 

4 hdcp here, I first put the 50* CBX in play because my full wedge shot game was killing my score.  If you hit a blade wedge a little toe side or worse high on the face you lose a lot of distance.  I put the 50 cbx with 115g shaft in play and it has been nice addition.  Feels a little light with the shaft and was pulling some shots but I have adjusted.  Around the green the 50 is great for longer bump and runs.  

I also put the 56 CBX in play for a bunker club and have been trying to use it for 90% greenside work.  It has been peforming well, plenty of spin, a little bit chunky for some of those touch shots.  I then have a more traditional wedge as my 60 with less bounce for tight lies or greenside rough where you open it up. 

Nothing is worse then missing a green with a wedge in your hand.  The CBX in my opinion helps your proximity to hole which we all need right? 

Edited by bbfifas

Mizuno St190, 8.5*, Tensei White 70X shaft
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54* and 58*, SS, Modus 120 stiff
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34"
Bridgestone Tour BX

There is a pretty good thread on the CBX 2 from a while ago that you should be able to find.  I love mine!

Ping G410 w/ Tensei orange
Cobra F9 3/4W w/ ATmos Blue 1/2" Short 
Cobra 5-6W (oldie)

Titleist 818 5H
Ping G710 5-P w/ KBS Tour 120
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

I had the original's - They were nice, but I moved on because that what hoe's do.  Regarding Handicap, many of tour pro's used Eye 2 sw and or lw with their blades, hell Payne Stewart used a Zing lw to win the US Open.

Also if I were to buy them again, I would go with a heavier shaft.

Cobra SZ Xtreme @ 10* 
Titleist 917F2 @15.75*
Titleist 816H2 20*
Ping G15 17*
New Level 1126 5-PW/M-Series 49*
Callaway MD5 54*X/MD4 58*X
Ping RW Anser

15 hours ago, North Butte said:

I think the biggest questions are a) does the one available grind suit your needs and b) are you OK with a 115g shaft. The shaft of course can be swapped out or you can custom order a heavier type (although custom orders from Cleveland are currently taking a LONG time). The grind isn't negotiable, one option only, it either works or it doesn't. 

Aside from those two issues, it depends on what kind of "10 hcp" you are. Most of the guys in my group who are in the 9, 10, 12 handicap range (most of the group) have pretty straightforward short games. They're not playing low spinners, Mickelson type high flops or using several different bunker techniques in different situations. For those guys something like CBX 2 works fine.

But I have met a few 10 hcp guys who really get elaborate and creative with their wedge game. I don't think they would care much for CBX 2 because they're so bulky. In my experience most guys in that category are well under 10 hcp, though. The exception would be one older guy (nearly 80?) whose handicap has drifted up to 9 or 10 in recent years because he can't hit the ball as far as he can spit. But he's still a low-handicapper within 40 yards of the green, very precise from all sorts of lies with his Vokeys. He would never even try something like CBX 2.

Any 80 year old 10 Handicap is probably the 35 year equivalent of a +2-3.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R
BB Alpha 815 14 set +1 draw Speeder 665 S
19 & 23 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap JPX825
Scotty Kombi
54/10 Rotex 2.0 56 Tmag ATV

Why just grab something with more bounce. Thats all.

TaylorMade R1 Devotion 06/ SLDR Preferred 430 10* 661 Stiff Flex
TaylorMade Aeroburner Graphite Design BB6S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Bridgestone J15 Mb 4-PW Recoil 110 F4

Taylormade HiToe 52/60 C taper 120

Cleveland Hunington Beach #11 Raw
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

• 3 months later...
On 9/28/2020 at 7:45 AM, wchahn said:

I'm a 9 and switched to CBX2 56 (bent to 55) and 60.  My short game has improved with them, especially from bunkers. Lots of spin - backing the ball up a bit, which is new for me. They are not as pleasing to look at from the back but at address, they look fine. Just put the shafts you feel you play best with in them.

what shaft did you end up putting in?

when I checked out the stock CBX2 in a store they seemed "lighter" to me than a Vokey

today I play AMT Black S300 and in my youth was DG

Driver: Titleist 917 D3 8.5
Woods: Titleist 917 F2 16.5
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2
Irons: Titleist T300 5-GW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 56 & 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Circa 62