2020 Best Drivers "Fall Edition" voted by 15 top fitters Discussion Topic. Please add your comments in here...

OK, WRXers.... How about an updated piece after the fitters get 6 more months? Did the results change?

What is the best driver for 2020?  We can't answer that for you specifically but we did ask our panel of the top 15 club fitters to answer that question for three different speed profiles and then asked for the most forgiving (we will also suggest alternative options for slicers.

Why ask the fitters? Why not? They are the experts! All day, all year they are grinding through fittings. Our list comprises of the best fitters in the industry. All they do all day is work with launch monitors, alternative shaft options, lengths, settings, weights, etc. and golfers to determine what driver is the best for that golfer. With so many options it was impossible not to find a driver that got you excited about its performance. We here at GolfWRX wanted to create our list of the Best Drivers for 2020 and share it with you. I know I look at the data to consider alternative options. :pimp:

Check out the Best Drivers of 2020 (Part 2) article here

The best driver of 2020 gets a closer look. All golfers want to know what is the longest driver, most forgiving driver or  a combination of each. Earlier this year, we worked with the top fitters in North America to bring together our best driver of 2020 rankings. The rankings were compiled using an anonymous survey process, which allowed the fitters to be open and honest about which driver they felt offered the best performance advantages for golfers. We broke it all down by swing speed and forgiveness. 

Check out the Best Drivers of 2020 (Part 2) article here

488230873_2020bestdrivergolfreview.jpg.460c93026f6f761dc392792d720898e4.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is absolutely NO SUCH THING as the best performing driver of 2020. Nice try though...

Kind of a rude post, especially considering that it sounds like you only read the headline and nothing else.  Regarding the article, interesting read! It is nice to see so many mentions of adding w

Great info here!   I’m seeing lots of students get fit into Ping and Taylormade 

Posted Images

• easyyy featured this topic

There is absolutely NO SUCH THING as the best performing driver of 2020. Nice try though...

• Confused 3

Titleist TSi3 w/Fujikura Speeder Evo IV 661
Titleist TSi2 15 degree w/VA Nemesys 75

Titleist TSi2 21 degreee w/VA Nemesys 75
4-PW Titleist T200 w/Aerotech Steelfiber Black Label i110 stiff @3/4" over standard
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50/54/58 w/Aerotech Steelfiber Black Label i110 stiff @3/4" over standard
Toulon Las Vegas custom w/BGT Tour 

4 hours ago, liveagua said:

Your are right... there isn't a best performing driver to fit all. But there are front runners after a fitter goes through 800 fittings in a year x 15 fitters. That. is what we published. Some fitters are pooling multiple fitters in facility to get a collaborative ranking as well. 

This will never be perfect, but it is where wee are after 15 years of trying different methods. 

I (we) want what members want. I am looking to continue to listen and learn to adopt and change content that our members and readership would like to see. That is how we have ended up here. Countless years of trial and error, listening to your feedback. 

Why not Robot testing? Nice for some but not practical and could provide data that wouldn't be good for players. Would it tell us what driver in a specific shaft performed the best under a controlled experiment? Yes it would. Same shaft, tipping, swing path, face angle, attack angle, dynamic loft, spot on the face, head speed, etc? Yes it could tell us the performance of each head. But how does that correlate to us as players who don't have that consistency? An engineer needs a capable MSA (measurement system analysis) to develop a DOA (design of experiment). The MSA in our. case is a golf swing by a human and it is less than capable with a CPK of 1.67 to satisfy us a human golf swing is off the charts in terms of capability. Players from one to another that have completely different swings? The ability to change the shaft, length, settings, loft, lie, ball to adapt to these differences.

Why not Player testing? We tried that and your feedback said that 25 players at a word class fitting studio with trackman, different shafts, heads, etc isn't enough to create the data pool you are looking for. As I said above the variation of players in a pool of hundreds (let alone 25) is not telling us anything that would be significant enough. We had +2 to 14 handicappers and swing speed players from 80ish to high 120's mph. Still we (and you) were looking for a larger data pool to serve as the final say at our standards... What is the best driver?

We are here after years of trial and error and you feedback has been reasonable. Seems like the blow back has been reduced and having 15 fitters give their opinions is better than editors/writers or player testing. 
  • Like 2
49 minutes ago, BigD said:

Great job on updating the content and confirming.  I think this and the members feedback is some of the best information out today. Keep up the good work. 

Thanks... The members choice, the comments from experience using driver throughout the year found in topics/comments and this Fitters Choice give readers different options to research driver options. Just more candy for many of us. The fitters comments about dialing in certain heads I thought was excellent. We also added a lot of comments from the members found in the forums as well. 

14 hours ago, liveagua said:

Kind of a rude post, especially considering that it sounds like you only read the headline and nothing else. 

Regarding the article, interesting read! It is nice to see so many mentions of adding weight to these heads as being a regular thing, especially for faster players. I still bristle a little bit when these guys keep repeating that idea that hitting down = more spin, but I don't know that idea is ever going to go away. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

11 hours ago, easyyy said:

Your are right... there isn't a best performing driver to fit all. But there are front runners after a fitter goes through 800 fittings in a year x 15 fitters. That. is what we published. Some fitters are pooling multiple fitters in facility to get a collaborative ranking as well. 

This will never be perfect, but it is where wee are after 15 years of trying different methods. 

I (we) want what members want. I am looking to continue to listen and learn to adopt and change content that our members and readership would like to see. That is how we have ended up here. Countless years of trial and error, listening to your feedback. 

Why not Robot testing? Nice for some but not practical and could provide data that wouldn't be good for players. Would it tell us what driver in a specific shaft performed the best under a controlled experiment? Yes it would. Same shaft, tipping, swing path, face angle, attack angle, dynamic loft, spot on the face, head speed, etc? Yes it could tell us the performance of each head. But how does that correlate to us as players who don't have that consistency? An engineer needs a capable MSA (measurement system analysis) to develop a DOA (design of experiment). The MSA in our. case is a golf swing by a human and it is less than capable with a CPK of 1.67 to satisfy us a human golf swing is off the charts in terms of capability. Players from one to another that have completely different swings? The ability to change the shaft, length, settings, loft, lie, ball to adapt to these differences.

Why not Player testing? We tried that and your feedback said that 25 players at a word class fitting studio with trackman, different shafts, heads, etc isn't enough to create the data pool you are looking for. As I said above the variation of players in a pool of hundreds (let alone 25) is not telling us anything that would be significant enough. We had +2 to 14 handicappers and swing speed players from 80ish to high 120's mph. Still we (and you) were looking for a larger data pool to serve as the final say at our standards... What is the best driver?

We are here after years of trial and error and you feedback has been reasonable. Seems like the blow back has been reduced and having 15 fitters give their opinions is better than editors/writers or player testing. 

I think its valuable information, so thank you!  I would suggest adding a value category, with the likes of mizuno and TEE, which driver gives you the bang for the buck!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Erroneous!!!!

The Mavrik Max is the greatest driver ever!

IMG_5356.GIF.a41701de973a98bf56158161fc835121.GIF

• Like 2

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

How was the PXG Proto not mentioned at all?  I went through fittings for every head released in 2020 and owned several (G410, TS3, Mavrik SZ, SIM) and once I got the Proto it was game over for myself, and most of the people in my playing group who had several 2020 drivers.  I'm surprised it wasn't even in the conversation!  Were companies like ClubChampion, TrueSpec, etc. not able to get Proto Demo heads for fittings and only the Gen2 heads?

Edited by lakecowboy

PXG Proto X | GD Tour AD GP7x +.5"

TM SIM Rocket 3W | GD Tour AD GP6s

PXG Gen2 0311P 3-4i | KBS C-Taper Lite X +1"

PXG Gen3 0311T 5i-G | KBS C-Taper Lite X +1"

PXG 54* Forged (Torched) | KBS C-Taper Lite X +1"

PXG 58* Sugar Daddy | KBS C-Taper Lite X +1"

TM MySpiderX | 36" - 71* - 3*

Last year I played the M5 laced with a Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ shaft. Absolutely loved it. Was fortunate enough to win a SIM in a giveaway. I ended up gifting my M5 away before even hitting the SIM and what a mistake. For some reason I just can't hit the SIM consistently. Just went to the Ping G410 LST with the same shaft and what a world of difference for me. 10 fairways hit with driver in the first outing is probably more than double what I've had the last 7 months.

• Like 1

I tried the Ping, the Cobra, Titleist,  the Callaway and the Taylormade offerings all in a variety of shafts over a 2 hour fitting.  Best one for me being a 98mph club head speed was the SIM Max with the Ventus Red 5.  Averaged 2 mph ball speed over the others.  Ping was second.  My best friend also got fitted.  He's at 100mph club head speed and the Mavrik was the best for him.  It's such a particular thing with regard to feel and such that no one driver will fit everyone.  

• Thanks 1

Great info here!   I’m seeing lots of students get fit into Ping and Taylormade 

• Like 3

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

• easyyy unfeatured this topic

Let me preface.

Every couple of years I go to Golf Galaxy after doing some research and pick out 3 or 4 "top drivers" from the research. By the way, thank you all so much for the work you put in in creating all this great data.

After hitting a few balls to get comfortable, I hit 10 drives with each club. I then hit 10 drives with my Taylormade 540 -which I have been using for forever it seems.

The results are the same. There is not enough discernable difference to justify spending $400+ on a new driver.

So here's a question. Is it me? Is it the tech? None of the above?

13 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

Sim left me cold. Tried it with different shafts from OEM to premium and got nothing out of it. G410 very forgiving but not longer. LST version hard to get a decent flight. Mavriks went all over the parish. Not sure a 02-95 mph swing speed is going to see quantum leaps forward unless I hit the gym. 

02 mph swing? Now that's what I call taking a little off the driver !!🤣

And yes, I know it's a typo. Couldn't help myself whippy.

Titleist TS2
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Ping Anser 20,
Wilson V6's  3-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

I demoed everything at some.point between october last year and feb this year. I ended up in SIM.

I bought and sold TS3 and F9. They're both fast but they didn't work through several balls and adjustments. Speedzone wasn't anything special over f9. 

The most i tested was in late January. Both SIMs, mav and maz sz, and the triple diamond ef sz.

The mav sz was the best performing on launch, spin, and ballspeed. My longest carries and total yards were with mav sz. The sim drivers were right there but avg carry was about 4 yards less than mav sz with ballspeeds very close to mav sz. Biggest issue with maz sz? No adjustable CoG. I hit too many drives left...way left about 5 out of 15 iirc.

Ef sz gave the cog cog adjustability, but even then, my high toe side strike was punished left even set to fade.

Both SIM drivers just pumped balls into a tight dispersion window. Ended up in regular SIM because I'm a firm believer in adjustable CoG. Took a while to dial it in. Once i did, great driver. Until my swing got wonky. Playing with heavier back weights and appear to have settled on a 17g backweight. The adjustability and performance of SIM is just fantastic. 

G410 lst couldn't keep up with sim in ballspeed or spin. Admittedly, o only hit it with stock shafts. But that's part of the draw...we find a shaft we love and then try it in new heads. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 410 LST. I've hit a lot of different clubs from every manufacturer. I don't see much difference between them. It is very much a world of getting professionally fit for clubs if you want the best performance. I bounce back & forth between my 410 & the M6. Which are so different in setups it's crazy. 

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

On 9/29/2020 at 5:53 AM, Valtiel said:

Kind of a rude post, especially considering that it sounds like you only read the headline and nothing else. 

Regarding the article, interesting read! It is nice to see so many mentions of adding weight to these heads as being a regular thing, especially for faster players. I still bristle a little bit when these guys keep repeating that idea that hitting down = more spin, but I don't know that idea is ever going to go away.             

I agree It was rude and sure for example a low spin driver might be good for someone and not for others which is where getting fit comes in, but there are for sure some that out perform others flat out

driver mizuno st190

3wood TM M6 @15

3 iron Gapr LO @17.5

4-pw TM p790

putter Scottty Cameron special selectnewport 2