2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tour B RXS

Justsomeguy

Picked up a dozen to try, as amazon was selling for a random $5 discount (maybe too much stock), and I liked the last version I played years ago.

I don't see much mention of it on wrx, prob bc the swing speed recommendation is under 125mph.

It was very nice around the greens, lots of energy off the putter, several lags went long.

Very high launching off all clubs. I had to dial my driver back to 9.5 from 10.5, then I got a nice flight. Before that it was too high.

Felt really really good on all swings, even bad ones.

Good feel, good distance, green side control, and springy off putter.

Again, definitely launches very high.

I noticed the same thing, that my lag putts went a little long. Agree it launches a little higher but for me only with irons, and I hit those clubs a little further than with Pro V1. It also releases a little more on the green than Pro V1 only by a foot or two. I think it may be slightly shorter off the tee but negligible. My driver speed is +/-100. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robs291 said:

I noticed the same thing, that my lag putts went a little long. Agree it launches a little higher but for me only with irons, and I hit those clubs a little further than with Pro V1. It also releases a little more on the green than Pro V1 only by a foot or two. I think it may be slightly shorter off the tee but negligible. My driver speed is +/-100. 

Once I dialed the driver down, the flight was great. Was glad for a good driving day so I could tell.

On the irons, I was wondering if my setup was to blame to some degree. I play mid weight graphite regular shafts, and they do launch high, and sometimes I add loft (more picking than digging).

I really liked the ball, but might not be for me, given the extra height. Otherwise very nice. Maybe I need to go steel again.

I am a definitely more of a picker than a digger, and play stiff SF 110s in my irons; I hit a high ball to begin with (swing flaw!). As for the flight, higher as we mentioned but I noticed it goes through the wind better than Pro V1 even with the added height. I do like it but I don't think I will switch to it full time. Will use it on windy days though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robs291 said:

I am a definitely more of a picker than a digger, and play stiff SF 110s in my irons; I hit a high ball to begin with (swing flaw!). As for the flight, higher as we mentioned but I noticed it goes through the wind better than Pro V1 even with the added height. I do like it but I don't think I will switch to it full time. Will use it on windy days though.

What kind of high energy options do we pickers have that don't fly so high?

I guess I win the award by default, because you and I are the only ones in this thread! 

I know my picking is due swing faults; I early extend and flip the club. Took some lessons and am working on it. I still can't hit wedges too hard without spinning them off the green, BRX ball included.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, robs291 said:

I guess I win the award by default, because you and I are the only ones in this thread! 

I know my picking is due swing faults; I early extend and flip the club. Took some lessons and am working on it. I still can't hit wedges too hard without spinning them off the green, BRX ball included.

Lol... My swing isn't at a level yet where I can get too "picky," ... Ellipse...

I’ve been playing the BRX for years. A couple of weeks ago I decided to try one of the BRXS new generation. I found it really good. Excellent into the wind, strong with irons and comparable off the putter. The prior gen was too hot off the putter and shorter with driver for me.

I’m not a picker and was concerned I would spin these too much, but they are excellent. I’m going to experiment with these more.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I bought a dozen RXS to try out, I usually play 2018 Tour B XS.  The RXS are ok, but I prefer the XS.  Maybe when winter comes the RXS will come out to play again, but for normal temps I'm sticking with XS.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

3 hours ago, flushem said:

Can you compare RXS to RX?  I heard S stands for spin but RXS is not that spinny according to tests on other websites.

This is why everyone should test balls for themselves. Actually played the RXS a few holes today and it actually spun quite well on both short chips and on wedge shots inside of a 100 yards. Was very surprised. And this is coming from someone who pretty much exclusively plays the ProV1 X. 

5 hours ago, flushem said:

Can you compare RXS to RX?  I heard S stands for spin but RXS is not that spinny according to tests on other websites.

Robots! Robots!

The RXS spins much more than the RX for me both off the driver and irons (2018 balls). I can hook the sh$t out of the RXS but not the RX.

The RX is really long so I prefer it to the RXS in general because distance is more important than spin for me.  

Edited by rwbloom93

11 hours ago, rwbloom93 said:

Robots! Robots!

The RXS spins much more than the RX for me both off the driver and irons (2018 balls). I can hook the sh$t out of the RXS but not the RX.

The RX is really long so I prefer it to the RXS in general because distance is more important than spin for me.  

How you would describe the spin of the RX around the greens, say from 50 yards on in? Thanks.

2 hours ago, North Texas said:

How you would describe the spin of the RX around the greens, say from 50 yards on in? Thanks.

Good question.

(Note: I'm still using my stock from the 2018 model, I haven't played the 2020 balls much yet) I can noticeably see the RXS hit the green, take a hop, and stop on most half way decent strikes.  The RX does that sometimes on well struck balls but less consistently, especially on slight miss hits.  The RX performs much like to the Titleist TourSoft in terms of stopping power but I still use the RX on "fast" green courses strictly because my mind tells me urethane ought to check better (but I can't honestly tell the difference). If I'm swinging well I'll use the RXS, but any slight toe center miss (my standard miss) draws too much. The RX hangs in there better.

Regards   

Edited by rwbloom93
  • Thanks 1

This is what I discovered.  I would have you come up with own conclusion.   

From 2019 eM-Gee-eS review (based on averaged between 115mph SS and 85 mph SS):

In DRIVER test, RXS is slower and shorter by 3 yds.  It flies lower than other balls.  RXS has wider dispersion

image.png.a94f332255ff6e11e93bb384481a9f26.png

In 7 IRON test, RXS spins slightly less, flies slightly lower and flies longer with better dispersion

image.png.7a6ef0dd2a673622eb398ced86feb851.png

In WEDGE test, RXS spins less with tighter dispersion.  

image.png.d597c7fa7a3ee50da1cece32456fd565.png

My conclusion from the test data:  no significant difference between RX and RXS exception driver dispersion.  Thus, I just bought two dozens of RXS and will put on test against RX.  I am sure RXS will feel much softer.  

what do you think?

17 hours ago, North Texas said:

I find it stops just fine but isn't as sticky as Pro V1. On shots of that length I get a little more roll out but nothing dramatic, maybe a foot or two difference. On longer iron shots, I find I get about 2-3 feet of release from my ball mark as compared to Pro V1 where I am very close to the ball mark if not some pullback. Granted, I hit a high ball with a lot of spin and can easily suck back the RX a few feet on full wedge shots (not on purpose, swing flaw!).

• Thanks 1

I’m only an 80ish mph swinger (driver 200 7 iron 130) and tbh I hated the RXS. I found it average in distance and not great in the wind and, most importantly, not enough spin around the greens with not enough jumpy height to make up for that lack of spin. Only thing I liked was the feel.

Obviously ymmv

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

On 9/27/2020 at 6:30 PM, Justsomeguy said:

Picked up a dozen to try, as amazon was selling for a random $5 discount (maybe too much stock), and I liked the last version I played years ago.

I don't see much mention of it on wrx, prob bc the swing speed recommendation is under 125mph.

It was very nice around the greens, lots of energy off the putter, several lags went long.

Very high launching off all clubs. I had to dial my driver back to 9.5 from 10.5, then I got a nice flight. Before that it was too high.

Felt really really good on all swings, even bad ones.

Good feel, good distance, green side control, and springy off putter.

Again, definitely launches very high.

@Justsomeguy agree 100% with all that. Tried a yellow dozen earlier this year. Fun ball to play that feels great. Long and straight off driver. However the lack of spin and the superball effect off the putter eventually were deal-breakers for me.

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

6 hours ago, c50sooner said:

@Justsomeguy agree 100% with all that. Tried a yellow dozen earlier this year. Fun ball to play that feels great. Long and straight off driver. However the lack of spin and the superball effect off the putter eventually were deal-breakers for me.

Superball, lol.. totally. It was like you couldn't hit it soft enough.

Gave these another try today on the back after playing a pro v1x on the front. Not going to compare them here, but as the standard bearer, I'd call it a control.

The RXS was long enough, but not consistent distances with the driver. Irons distances were consistent, but maybe a little short.

Pitching and chipping were good, and probably where this ball excels.

Putting is just a crap shoot. Sometimes it shoots off the face. Sometimes it dies.

At a lower price point it would be a good choice, but just a touch off of premium costs I don't think I'll buy it again.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:02 PM, flushem said:

So far RXS performs about the same but it is too soft all around.  I think it is as soft as wilson duo professional but performs way better.  

from 27 holes of testing at hard green @ La Costa.  I could not control it from 100 yds and under; it rolled out too much.  It would be ok on softer green.    

19 hours ago, flushem said:

from 27 holes of testing at hard green @ La Costa.  I could not control it from 100 yds and under; it rolled out too much.  It would be ok on softer green.    

I had a lot of trouble controlling it yesterday on hard greens. Pitches rolled out a lot if I didn't spin the hell out of it. And it's just too wild off the putter.

I think the analysis of being better for soft conditions is spot on.

I will get flamed and argued for this but historically Tourstage-Bridgestone puts S on the softer ball (usually spins a tad more as well). 

I've been playing, reading about, and analyzing Tourstage-Bridgestone balls since the late 90s. I switched to them because of Faldo winning the Masters with a Precept Multi-layer ball and the MC Lady craze.

I think they just emphasized the S as spin when Tiger went to the XS. 

Enjoying these threads. I started season after 7-year lay-off trying firmer/higher compression balls like TP5x, Callaway Softx, Srixon Zstar XV and didn't hate any of them but not loving them either. Finally did some research and saw lower compression/softer balls may better suit my 90-95 mph driver swing so tried the Srixon Qstar Tour and the Bridgestone RXS and much happier with results. Driver and irons flew further and better in wind, putter less 'clicky', and as for the RXS excellent spin control around greens...I ended up playing the Bridgestone RXS for 80% of the remaining rounds of my season, until the last 3 rounds when I tried the Titleist AVX - longer, good feeling, not quite as much spin control as RXS but not bad - just need some getting used to....I may try them again in the spring.

• Like 1

Ping G410 12 degree at 11* Alta CB 55 soft reg

Sim 2 Max 3 HL 16.5* Ventus Blue 5A

Callaway Steelhead XR 7w 21* - Tensei CK Series 55 reg

Stealth 5 hybrid at 25* Ventus Red 5A  

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6i-AW - UST Recoil ES 760 SmacWrap f3

Titleist SM7 52*W, 56*W - Vista Pro reg graphite

White Hot R-Ball 35"