I picked up some Taylormade irons on eBay and now I can’t hardly find any information on them... anywhere

I pulled the trigger on a low priced set of Taylormade RAC MB’s 3-pw with kbs c taper (mostly to try the ctaper in a club I’m familiar with from back in the day). I didn’t even notice the satin finish and the complete absence of the milling marks on face and back of head.  Then the 3-9 say only “forged” on the hosel (the pw is shiny With coin forged and milling marks and matches my gap wedge). 

then I notice the offset looks consistent something id read about the Miura produced RAC cbs.  I’ve seen one little blurb that miura did indeed do some rac mb (not combo) sets in 1-9 irons with satin finish 2mm offfset and no milling.  

Anyways I thought the ctaper were a little too stiff on my range sessions And I was getting that great flat flight that goes forever but I was having to swing too hard for my current flexibility and strength.  but today I took em on course and have never felt more comfortable.  I put both par 3s within 3 feet. Hit a 28* 5 iron 180 yards (I usually hit my 4 utility at 23* loft 195.  

anyways I’m falling in love with them but I got an offer for a lot more than I paid for them and I’m wanting to try something with same forgiveness tech because I’ve been a 14 handicap playing blades for too long.  

can anyone tell me how rare these are? I can’t find any sales on eBays history that goes back like a year.  

having owned plenty of miuras and can tell bridgestone sound blind from miura from same player hitting same balls. These are definitely miura irons.  They have that sweet soft but firm power stroke when you get the middle.  

I’ starting to think $374 is low for a rare set of miuras. Only the 5,6,7 have the 2mm stamped into hosel.  All have “forged”

and I’m no pro but they all look yo have similar offset.  2mm looks like nothing in a 3 iron and like a lot in a 9 iron.  All the arguments saying the mb weren’t miura forged are dumb.  And they’re really saying the coin forged combo tac cb mb were made elsewhere.  

What do these usually sell for?  Should I hold my horses With the new Hogan ptx pro/icon combo set?

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, yes, yes. The ads that say they’ve advanced the design to move the CG lower are hilarious when they were that way 20 years ago. 

Yep. That describes my experiences to a T. I can’t play irons with a Vcog as high as say i500 etc. I tried hard.  All you have to do is play with tee height so see the difference.  Tee up an i500 a 1/

“I can’t find anyone that will tell me these are not Miura forged”. LOL

Posted Images

maybe you should contact Taylor Made with some complete pictures.  The 2mm is usually something stamped for irons/blades that have a tiny bit of offset bent into them.  I don't know if these are "rare" i'm thinking that maybe you just found a custom or even tour set.

Driver:  Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft
Irons/Wedges:   Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Soft Stepped Stiff Shaft
                             Ping i25 4-UW w Ping AWT 2.0 X-Shafts, SW/LW Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge flex shafts                           
Grips:  Lamkin UTx Midsize Black
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1
Putter Shaft/Grip:   Flow Neck - Custom PX 6.0 shaft @ 32.5"w Super Stroke Traxion 2.0 XL

Plumbers Neck - Custom PX 5.5 shaft @ 32.5"w Super Stroke Traxion GT 1.0

Ball:  Callaway Diablo Tour 3-Piece

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite

I am not well versed in any of the early 2000's Miura related involvement with Taylormade so I won't comment on rarity or value, but I did want to make a note in response to what you said about "trying something with same forgiveness tech because I’ve been a 14 handicap playing blades for too long" and how that might relate to these clubs. 

Those older RAC Coin Forged irons come from an era (and are an exceptional example) of much lower and further back CG than many current irons. Despite the many marketing claims, CGs have been trending higher and further forward in irons over the last 15+ years, and these older models that were much more low and back may feel and perform a certain way, especially if you are prone to striking the ball slightly low on the face, that will be harder to replicate. A lot of that will depend on the type and category of iron you are looking for, but this is just a general note of caution that there can be more to "forgiveness" for some people than simply shiny modern tech. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade SIM Ti 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

2mm is definitely denoting less or more  offset. I’d guess a tour set.  But I’m not nearly close to a TM expert.  Somebody here will be though.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red 6x 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Ping g410 17.5* synergy blue 70TX 

Miura MC-501 3-Pw modus 130x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

36 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

I am not well versed in any of the early 2000's Miura related involvement with Taylormade so I won't comment on rarity or value, but I did want to make a note in response to what you said about "trying something with same forgiveness tech because I’ve been a 14 handicap playing blades for too long" and how that might relate to these clubs. 

Those older RAC Coin Forged irons come from an era (and are an exceptional example) of much lower and further back CG than many current irons. Despite the many marketing claims, CGs have been trending higher and further forward in irons over the last 15+ years, and these older models that were much more low and back may feel and perform a certain way, especially if you are prone to striking the ball slightly low on the face, that will be harder to replicate. A lot of that will depend on the type and category of iron you are looking for, but this is just a general note of caution that there can be more to "forgiveness" for some people than simply shiny modern tech. 

Standing ovation !  A lot  of today’s irons have a CG that has crept so high you have to hit it fat to get the Vertocal COG at the equator or under the ball.  Which is how you launch it properly.  And I do not know why they’ve gone this way.  Make it harder to hit.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

28 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Standing ovation !  A lot  of today’s irons have a CG that has crept so high you have to hit it fat to get the Vertocal COG at the equator or under the ball.  Which is how you launch it properly.  And I do not know why they’ve gone this way.  Make it harder to hit.  

Yes, yes, yes. The ads that say they’ve advanced the design to move the CG lower are hilarious when they were that way 20 years ago. 

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

4 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

I'm pretty sure it has to do with spin and trying to counteract the ever strengthening lofts. They make a 5i a 7i, give it a thin, hot face and a high MOI design, then raise the CG so you're more often striking a groove low of the sweet spot to increase spin so you're 7i isn't spinning 4,500rpm. It's an ugly formula, but there are plenty of GI and SGI irons out there that don't follow this trend. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade SIM Ti 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

These were a tour only release many years ago. IIRC correctly, TM released these and the CBs in standard offset, onset, and “2mm” which denoted additional offset. I have traditionally enjoyed a bit of offset and had the CB version for a bit. Back in the day there was another golf board/forum that sold them in their online shop. The MB version were also available at the time I purchased mine. 

They were allegedly forged by Miura, but you never know whether those legends are true. For reference, I think I paid $699 for mine new (heads only) in 2005-ish. 

Edited by BCULAW
Additional info on price
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

I'm pretty sure it has to do with spin and trying to counteract the ever strengthening lofts. They make a 5i a 7i, give it a thin, hot face and a high MOI design, then raise the CG so you're more often striking a groove low of the sweet spot to increase spin so you're 7i isn't spinning 4,500rpm. It's an ugly formula, but there are plenty of GI and SGI irons out there that don't follow this trend. 

Yep. That describes my experiences to a T. I can’t play irons with a Vcog as high as say i500 etc. I tried hard.  All you have to do is play with tee height so see the difference.  Tee up an i500 a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch if you think they are “ clunky “ and then you’ll hit their center and feel that they are soft. On the middle. Which is a couple grooves up.  I found it incredibly frustrating.  I’d love those irons if they had a low cog.  And I’d argue most would I love the extra spin , height and spin would help scores more than raw carry numbers.  

• Like 3

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

7 hours ago, BCULAW said:

These were a tour only release many years ago. IIRC correctly, TM released these and the CBs in standard offset, onset, and “2mm” which denoted additional offset. I have traditionally enjoyed a bit of offset and had the CB version for a bit. Back in the day there was another golf board/forum that sold them in their online shop. The MB version were also available at the time I purchased mine. 

They were allegedly forged by Miura, but you never know whether those legends are true. For reference, I think I paid $699 for mine new (heads only) in 2005-ish. 

Allegedly 

• Like 1

Driver SIM 10.5 Ventus BLK 6x tipped 1” , 1* tour tip hotmelt head 45.75” 3w SIM 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43.25”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

Doesn’t mattter. They bring what they bring miura reference or not.  Non conformity kills the price.  In my opinion.  As it did for a lot of great irons.  

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

classy...

TEE EXS 220 10.5* - Testing continues - Accra TZ6 55M4 at 44.5”
TEE XCG7B 2h 17* -Aldila Tour Blue 85 
TEE XCG7B 4h 22* Aldila Rogue Blk85
TEE XCG7B 5h 25*- Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length Multiple sets with different shafts 
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0