Buying a driver head off of Ebay

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've bought (and sold) many clubs on Ebay. Advice that @rondre3000 gave is right on. If it looks like a scam it is. Always check seller ratings, read reviews and you'll be fine.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.   That said, I've been purchasing clubs on Ebay for 15+ years. Have only encountered a handful of counterfeits (maybe 2-3). Just make sure wh

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

That said, I've been purchasing clubs on Ebay for 15+ years. Have only encountered a handful of counterfeits (maybe 2-3). Just make sure what you're buying has plenty of pictures and the seller is well represented in their feedback.

• Like 1

d: Rogue | f: Rogue Sub Zero | h1: X Hot | h2: CLK | i: 919 HMP : | w: Glide 2.0 Stealth | p: Chalk Spider X SB

8 minutes ago, eagles88 said:

I’m about to pull the trigger on a Sim driver clubhead on eBay. I never purchased anything off of eBay. Just trying to see if there is anything I should look out for?  Do they even make fake Sim drivers? Just a little worried and looking for some reassurance. Thank you all. 

Look at the seller's feedback (click on the number to the right of his name). Read some of them.

Then search WRX for "quickship", "ksouth", and "tee2green" and make up your own mind about them. :classic_laugh:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Adams A12 Idea Pro hybrid, 16*, Aldila 85 VS Proto Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

They make fakes of whatever sells. I'm sure the SIM is popular. Not a bad idea to really analyze the pics against pictures of a real SIM. Some of the bad fakes pass at a glance, but when you look at them the coloring or letting is off. 

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

52 Ping Glide 3.0

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

In general, when I buy stuff on Ebay (doesn't have to be golf clubs), I'd look at the seller's track record and feedback history.  The longer the seller's been selling stuff, the more likely he/she won't screw you over.  

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I used to buy on ebay, but stopped over this very issue after reading an article in one of the magazines that including side by side pictures of the real thing and the fakes.  When I realized that I couldn't tell the difference without reading the caption, I opted out.  In fairness to ebay sellers, they may not know themselves.

But there is a second issue.  You never know what's been done to a club or a component.  Has the shaft been tipped, or taken in and out incorrectly so that it is going to be weak at the hosel?  Has somebody put tungsten powder and a cork down the shaft?  Is there hot melt added to the head in a failed experiment with swing weight?  All of that stuff worries me, and I rather just pay the money upfront to get that stuff out of my head.

It's really up to your comfort level.  Pretty sure my entire bag is made up of ebay and WRX purchases.  Others have given good input as far as digging into the seller's reputability.  Another thing I do is filter by US only, I wouldn't buy a discounted driver from overseas for example.  Trust your gut about stuff.  On a guitar forum, there are a lot of posts from folks wondering if ebay/craigslist purchases are fakes.  Many times they ask is this too good of a deal, and most times it is.  I seem to see a lot more fake guitars than golf clubs, but again if you know you're able to find a quality product from your knowledge of it, ebay is a safe bet.

For just a head, I'd trust WRX more than eBay, though I've seen a number of sellers that only sell golf equipment and have loads of head-only sales.  Seems shops tend to set up their own ebay profiles.  Good way to offload excess inventory.  Overall, ebay is more likely to give you listings from some random jabroni who gave up on a driver after it didn't magically cure their slice.