If you HAD to go one brand, what's the one club you'd worry about?

OK so if i a guy came up to you and put a gun to your head , and told you that you had to play one brand of golf clubs (this is a very peculiar and focused maniac)...

What is the one slot that would worry you the most?

For me it would be the lob wedge. I finally gave in and went outside my normal Callaway and Ping comfort zone this weekend and bought a Vokey. I tried and tried Callaway and Ping L wedges and couldn't get comfortable this year. 

Consistently, Lob Wedge has been a tough one for me to find something i like. More so than even putter or irons

What about you guys?

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic SubZero 13 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

Deschamps Blade 375g

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll make a ruling on this one on behalf of our crazed gunman...and that is that parent companies and their spinoffs count as 1.    So he would allow you to play Srixon irons and a cleveland

Not planning on using any wedges or a putter are you?

I'm aware that Cleveland is in the same company family. But Srixon is a brand, and Cleveland is a brand. I wouldn't consider them to be the same brand.

Great question.

5 wood for me.  I could go and mostly have gone all Titleist, but the G410 fairways are so damn good.  Even the fitter at TPI during my full bag fitting last fall told me, I can't beat what you have in those FW's.  The only reason to switch is if you wanted to have Titleist.    

That was some brutal honesty, and it's been true.  Curious to see if the TSi line will change that.

:smilie_titty: TS1 9.0  Fubuki 45G Shaft
:smilie_ping: G410 5 & & FW Alta CB 65g
:smilie_ping: G410 4 hybrid Alta CB
:smilie_titty:T100S/T200 Jet Black Combo AMT Black R300 
Vokey SM 7 54/58

Vokey SM8 46*
TM Custom My Spider 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

Putter

Titleist,got my np2,Ping, just got a Craz E,TM..no hope..Cleveland ..CS Mallet..Mizuno..newblade..Callaway..OdysseyRossie 11CS🙂 Cobra..unsure..Hogan/Bettinardi .

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

2 minutes ago, LUXOR54 said:

Not planning on using any wedges or a putter are you?

Cleveland is pretty much the same company.

For me probably driver.

• Like 1

[color=#0000ff]Callaway XR16 driver[/color], 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
[color=#0000ff] Callaway Epic 3 Wood [/color], Fubuki Z65 shaft
[color=#0000ff] Mizuno ST180 5 wood, [/color] Tensei CK Blue shaft
[color=#0000ff]Cobra F8 22* hybrid
[color=#0000ff]Srixon Z765 [/color]5-PW irons [/color], KBS Tour V shafts

[color=#0000ff]Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
[color=#0000ff]Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
[color=#0000ff]Mizuno S18 58* wedge
[color=#0000ff]Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter

Just the ball.  I have a hard time leaving the ProV1x behind.  I keep trying though!

But brands are just that to me.  I've played almost every brand that has existed look to buy a game.  If it works, I'll probably give it a spin.

Edited by tbowles411
  • Like 1
G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)

I figured Putter would be the most common response. For whatever reason i seem to be able to find a putter from just about any company. Most have mallets that appeal to my eye, which i'm into sometimes

But i am pretty flexible with putters. Right now i'm actually using a center shafted fastback blade type thing.

Woods too....never had an issue. it's more shaft than clubhead for me most of the time. 

Lob Wedge i get turned off pretty easily by some designs. Way more than other clubs

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic SubZero 13 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

Deschamps Blade 375g

If you really mean just one brand of clubs, and the ball wasn't part of the deal, then I'd probably go with Mizuno. Just because it's familiar enough to me. But honestly, I'd be very happy with just about any major mfr, including Ping, even though they're often viewed at the opposite end of the spectrum from Mizuno. I've played enough stuff that as long as the length, lie and flex are reasonable, I'm confident I'd make it work and I'd be comfortable enough pretty quickly.

I'm not even that picky about putters, though I play an Anser at the moment. Every mfr makes an Anser-like model.

The one club that has the most potential to be iffy would be the 3w. But I think that is true regardless of brand.

If the ball was part of the deal, then Titleist. Other balls work fine, too, but I'm sort of stuck on their balls because they're consistent and predictable, and I don't have to think about them.

Now, the most important question: Since you don't need to hold a gun to my head for me to do this, who's gonna give me a full set of their clubs? I'm ready!

Edited by dubbelbogey

Considering my bag is Titleist, and all clubs are Titleist I am not bothered.  Unless, of course, Vokey and SCameron were not considered as Titleist.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i110cw "S"
  • Titleist 620 CB&MB - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5
  • SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

I play a 1/2 TM and 1/2 Titleist bag right now and if I had to just go to TM, I think I'd be fine from driver to putter. I'm actually not sure if I'd be ok going all Titleist as I haven't gotten along with their woods.

Driver: TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5° at 8°

3W: TaylorMade V-Steel 15°

3H: Taylormade M3 19°

Irons (4-W): Titleist 718 AP1 (21°-48°)

SW: Titleist Vokey SM7 54.10S (brushed steel)

LW: TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 60.10 (copper)

Putter: TaylorMade TP Black Copper Ardmore 2

1 hour ago, gbartko said:

No problems here. I could fill any spot with some Ping

I am in the same boat right now.... Although I have never gotten along with Ping hybrids, that might be my worry, but everything else I can play more than comfortably.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9* PX HZRDUS Yellow 63 6.0

Titleist 917f2 16.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Srixon Z745 4-P Modus 105s

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12, 58/12 TI S400

Ping Anser Milled 2

If the ball is not a portion of this and we are just talking about clubs it would be the Putter.

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Ball

The Tour B X is everything I want in a ball

^^^^^ I agree with this 100%, I switched to the Tour BX from the TP5/TP5x early this year and can easily say it was the most beneficial equipment change I have made in a while.

Currently my bag is Taylormade everything (or is about to be as new irons are on the way). The TW wedges have been perfect for me, I have been a TM woods player almost exclusively for the better part of the last 10 years, and now with the P7XXX line up they have pretty much put the perfect clubs for me out in every category.

I am even going to only one brand of graphite shaft, Ventus Velocore Blue in everything I own that is powered by graphite...

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus Velocore Blue 6x

Taylormade SIM MAX 15* Ventus Velocore Blue 8x

Taylormade SIM UDI 3 19* Ventus Velcocore Blue 10x

Taylormade P770 (2020) Nippon Modus3 130x (4-5 iron)

Taylormade P7-MC Nippon Modus 3 130x (6-8 iron)

Taylormade P7-MB Nippon Modus3 130x (9 iron)

Taylormade MG2 48* & 52*

Taylormade MG2 56* & 60* TW grind

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 35" w/ Pistolero Plus grip

Bridgestone Tour BX (2020)

I could go everything TM, including the ball, except for the hybrid. Never got along with the TM hybrids but I guess I could easily go 5 or 7 wood if I had to although I do love having a hybrid so that’s the one club I’d worry about. 

Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR Callaway Epic SZ 15* Callaway Apex 20* Bridgestone J15cb - 4-PW Vokey SM7 - 52* & 58* Spider X

If I had to play it, a dedicated wedge from PING is not a thing I can do.  I've come around to their woods and have always played their irons and putters, but anything other than a set wedge from them won't work for me...

Edit: I felt this way until I stumbled upon a set of the old Anser Forged series wedges at my local course.  After being able to play 18 with them, I was confident enough to buy them and bag them...

Edited by 14max
Additional information

Driver 10.5° PING G400 Max // Driver 10° PING G400 SFT

5-wood 17.5° PING G400 // 5-wood 18.5° PING G400

5-crossover 25° PING G400 // 5-hybrid 26° PING G400

Irons PING i25 (6-9, PW, UW) // Irons PING G400 (7-9, PW, UW)

Wedges 54°/58° PING Anser Forged // Wedge 56° PING Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter PING Heppler Piper (34 3/4") // Putter PING WRX Redwood Piper S (34 3/4")