Spin Rate of 9,255 with a 7 iron?

I had a fitting last week and started off by hitting a few with my current 7 iron. 

I’m a single figure player, with 118 club head speed with my driver, and 91 mph with my 7 iron. 

I”m replacing (wait for it) my original Nike blades from 200x... you remember Tiger”s original Nike’s - those. 

Anyway the fitter was aghast when I was getting 9,250 rpm with my 7 iron... 

I’ve subsequently read that this is way too high. In fact I hit a bunch of new irons and they were all at the 7,000 mark 

my question is: how did that old blade spin so much? I did have a problem with stalling and spinning back... but I’d love to know how that old iron managed to generate so much spin. I even went back and hit it later, and it was the same.

Anyone able to help my understanding?

thanks!

Greg 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

-We have to look on many parameters here to see where that difference came from. First static lofts, or more correct Dynamic loft who is actual loft at impact. That parameter is a product of static

Most likely something about the club: shaft weight, swing weight, shaft flex  that caused you to deliver a lot of dynamic loft into the ball at impact.   BTW, were the 7k numbers using the s

possible higher loft? possible that the loft has been weakened with use? weaker shaft? still seems like a big number though. 

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

52 Ping Glide 3.0

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

-We have to look on many parameters here to see where that difference came from.
First static lofts, or more correct Dynamic loft who is actual loft at impact. That parameter is a product of static loft, shaft bending and club head delivery combined. Next is the club heads VCOG vs impact position on the face, face friction.....we need all of them to see where the difference came from, and since the number difference is so large, its more than one factor involved. As example Dynamic loft. At your club speed we are in the area of 650 rpms club to club and thats 4 of loft, so your spin differences is in the area of close to 3 clubs or 12 in dynamic loft difference....not very realistic, but some of it comes from a difference there, the rest has to be friction and VCOG (high VCOG , high face friction combined with higher Dynamic loft)

• Like 1

Most likely something about the club: shaft weight, swing weight, shaft flex  that caused you to deliver a lot of dynamic loft into the ball at impact.

BTW, were the 7k numbers using the same mat and LM as when you got the 9k numbers?

• Like 1

Yep identical mat, Trackman and day. I even went back to the Nike and hit it again after all the blades as I just didn’t believe the spin rate. 

I should also say these irons must be 15 years old and I have never checked the lofts.