Why not 6 (Par 3s), 6 (Par 4s) and 6 (Par 5s)?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Berkshire Red Course outside of London is a great course that is 6-6-6. Link to photo tour: Berkshire Red Pix of the six par 3's            

I think the reason that most courses aren't designed like this is because if you look at the game's origins, there was no such thing as Par, you just tried to get around the 18 holes in the least amou

Came here to mention Berkshire Red. It's also worth pointing out that that the tee for first par 3, with the carry over the heather-filled hollow is right in of the members' lounge. It's a fairly long

Posted Images

Cheyenne Country club is laid out like this... they unofficially call it the Devils course.

PING G410 plus   9* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G410 LST  14.5 TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G410 19* Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex
PING i500 4-PW w/ PX LZ 5.5 shafts
PING Forged 49*/53*/57* PX LZ 5.5 shafts
PING Heppler Tyne 4            Winter Greens

PING Sigma 2 Wolverine       Summer Greens

Have played multiple courses like this ... big fan

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Blueboard ion 73x G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* KK Slvr 80x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M, & Vokey Special 60*P

Scotty GoLo 7

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, crcraig said:

I think most architects would say that it's harder to design good par 5s than any other kind.  So that's probably you don't see this very often.

On average, I tend to find par 5s less interesting than par 4s and 3s. Pete Dye built great ones, as did Mike Strantz, but both architects tended to take up a lot of acreage with those holes, as they almost always tend to swing one or both directions. Certainly good to do on sites with a lot of space.

That said, I don't know that I've ever found myself wishing in hindsight that a course had had more par 5s. One of my favorite courses in Connecticut is the Country Club of Waterbury, a 6,500-yard par-69 course with just one par 5. In Scotland, not far from St. Andrews, Elie has 16 par 4s and 2 par 3s. Heck, the great Yale golf course's two par 5s are at 16 and 18 (18 being one of my favorite holes in the world), and 16 was originally a par 4 with a green in a different location. A world top-100 course with effectively one par 5.

IMHO, none of these courses suffer because of an absence of par 5s because the variety of shots you'll hit in a given round is so good.

Just some food for thought.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

TM M3 10.5* - UST V2
Srixon Z F65 15* & 19*
TM V-Steel 21*
Titleist 710 MB 4-PW
Cleveland RTX-3 52* and 58*
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

The course I played in college had 5 par 3s & 5 par 5s 

I worked at a course with 6 par 3s & 5 par 5s. 

They exist ... but Most courses are 4 par 3s & 4 par 4s because golf hates change

Alot of courses in Asia I believe are par 72 because Augusta is Par 72

In my opinion, more course should be par 64 to par 68 with length of the course being 4000 to 6000 yards

Driver: Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5* ; Accura MV85x PINK 1 of 1

3 wood: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72X

Hybrid: PXG Gen1 19* (set 18*) Hzardus Handcrafted Black 100x (Not getting alot of use)

Irons: PXG Gen1 0311 4-7 iron; Aldila RIP Phenom Hybrid 100 Tour X (Lofts; 17.5*, 21*, 25*, 29*)

NIKE Vapor Pro Combo 6, 8, 9, PW; Aldila VS Proto 100x (Lofts; 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*)

Wedges: Scratch 53* (bent 51*); TT DG S300 , Callaway MD4 Raw 54*, 58*; TT DG S300

Custom Wedge 63* (made buddy made it); KBS Tour Stiff

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB #5; 35 inches; Super Stroke GP Tour

The flow of the round and more specifically the flow of groups around the course.  Only one group at a time can play a par 3 hole.  You want to avoid following a par five with a par three if possible.  You also wait on par fives more often than not as well.  From a course management standpoint you can fit fewer groups out on the course that way.

I think the reason that most courses aren't designed like this is because if you look at the game's origins, there was no such thing as Par, you just tried to get around the 18 holes in the least amount of strokes. When par was introduced, most holes could be played in four strokes. On the Old Course they've only got two par threes and two par fives. I understand the merit of the 6-6-6 layout, but I think the reason it isn't used more is because the game wasn't always centered around par.

• Like 1

I've played one course with 6/6/6 but when I go back in my mind most of my favorite courses are par 70's with four par fives and my favorite course is a little private club that is a par 71 with five par fives and six par threes.

I think the person above nailed it when he said it's much easier to design really good par fours than par fives.  I also think that you can actually get more variety with a lot of par fours. You can make a really good par four where you hit an iron off the tee but aside from some crazy conditions I can't think of any good par fives where you lay up with anything less than a fairway wood.

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2020 at 8:47 PM, sabram said:

The Berkshire Red Course outside of London is a great course that is 6-6-6. Link to photo tour: Berkshire Red

Pix of the six par 3's

The Berkshire Red Course

Berkshire Red #2 par 3 green front bunkers P1050433r

Berkshire Red #5 par 3 P1050440r

Berkshire Red #7 200 yard par 3 P1050447r

Berkshire Red #16 par 3 - 230 yards P1050483rBerkshire Red #18 last of 6 tough par 3's P1050490r

Came here to mention Berkshire Red. It's also worth pointing out that that the tee for first par 3, with the carry over the heather-filled hollow is right in of the members' lounge. It's a fairly long par 3 (190+, IIRC), and usually plays into the prevailing wind. I think I hit a 19* hybrid when I played it, hitting into the teeth of a strong wind.

That wind seemed to swirl through the course and change direction. I remember hitting more shots into it than having it following. 

Both the Blue and Red are great courses.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2020 at 7:01 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Came here to mention Berkshire Red. It's also worth pointing out that that the tee for first par 3, with the carry over the heather-filled hollow is right in of the members' lounge. It's a fairly long par 3 (190+, IIRC), and usually plays into the prevailing wind. I think I hit a 19* hybrid when I played it, hitting into the teeth of a strong wind.

That wind seemed to swirl through the course and change direction. I remember hitting more shots into it than having it following. 

Both the Blue and Red are great courses.

I think you mean #1 on Berkshire Blue which is approx 190 from the members tee and 220 from the tips  

Berkshire Blue #1 par 3 link

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oVsv1C][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/3887/15044793688_990dc922df_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/oVsv1C]

Berkshire Blue #1- 220 yard par 3 [/url] 

Edited by sabram
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, sabram said:

I think you mean #1 on Berkshire Blue which is approx 190 from the members tee and 220 from the tips  

Berkshire Blue #1 par 3 link

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oVsv1C][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/3887/15044793688_990dc922df_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/oVsv1C]

Berkshire Blue #1- 220 yard par 3 [/url] 

Oops😆 It's been a few years since I played either one. I thought the course with the opening par 3 was the one with 6 of each hole, but you're quite right. I think I preferred the Red overall, but they're both excellent courses. I remember the Red for the very tricky par 3 near the turn (tenth?), where anything right is dead, and for a rather miraculous up-and-down from the heather on the left of the Eighth. 

• Like 1

Here in Australia, my home track, Ocean Shores Country Club is set up that way.

It's also just been re-rated and us now officially one of the hardest courses in Australia.

https://www.oceanshorescc.com.au/golf-and-tours.html

https://www.golf.org.au/ocean-shores-country-club

Scorecard attached. Keep in mind the distances are in metres. 

Scorecare.jpg

Edited by hack2489
Typographic and Grammatical

Copper Mill outside of Baton Rouge has had a course like this since the early 2000s. Played it last week. It's a fun change of pace for sure. Only once do you play holes with the same par back to back, and that's 16 and 17 being par 4s, but one is driveable and the other is long.

CM.png

PING G425 Max 10.5° (set to 9.5°) Mitsubishi Tensei AV 65 Raw Orange S

PING G410 17.5° (set to 16.5°) and 20.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK 70 Orange X 

PING G410 4 Hybrid (22°) PING Tour 85 S

Cobra King Tour MIM 5-GW Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 130

Titleist Vokey SM8 54.12 D-grind, 60.08 M-grind

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 34"