Nippon NSPRO MODUS3 Tour 115 Iron Shafts - Regular and 10th Anniversary Verison

Diamana_Stinger

16 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Interesting data.  It appears the ball speed was significantly less with the Modus and 115 compared to the LS?  So you were not able to time those shafts as well as the LS being a more aggressive swing and that is the reason for the lower ball speed?

Of course the rest of the data is all related to this ball speed difference.

263041648_shaftdata.jpg.fa25b43a41831113f43388334630c0a7.jpg

I have two sets of irons with both the 115 and LS but have not tried those shafts out yet.  The TW blades have the LS and the P770 have the 115.  Will be interesting to see what transpires with these.  

It’s hard to say, they felt “good” and I felt like some strikes were great but the numbers said otherwise. Just didn’t get along with them, no rhyme or reason that I can say with confidence. Again, it’s too bad because they are purdyyyyyy

31 minutes ago, StillCantPutt said:

It’s hard to say, they felt “good” and I felt like some strikes were great but the numbers said otherwise. Just didn’t get along with them, no rhyme or reason that I can say with confidence. Again, it’s too bad because they are purdyyyyyy

Yeah, the LS probably just had the stiffer center section and you were able to swing harder without worry timing wise.

Since you used the same 0311T G3 8 iron, did you check the loft after switching shafts?  There can be some difference in loft upon pulling/installing shaft...just curious especially since the PXG bore is 0.370 vs the 0.355 shaft tips...can be some variation in loft/lie upon install.  But if done correctly with a collared ferrule and maybe a shaft shim should be close.

Edited by BirdieBob

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

9 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

Yeah, the LS probably just had the stiffer center section and you were able to swing harder without worry timing wise.

Since you used the same 0311T G3 8 iron, did you check the loft after switching shafts?  There can be some difference in loft upon pulling/installing shaft...just curious especially since the PXG bore is 0.370 vs the 0.355 shaft tips...can be some variation in loft/lie upon install.  But if done correctly with a collared ferrule and maybe a shaft shim should be close.

I did use the correct ferrule and PXG tip/shim and still checked loft and lie afterwards. Same. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 10:26 AM, StillCantPutt said:

I looked at the specs of the LS and I think you got exactly what the numbers say should have happened. The LS is heavier by 5-6 gms, launches low with low spin and it's marketed for aggressive swingers.  It just doesn't look as good doing it. 😆

• 2 weeks later...

I just put these into my PXG Gen 3 0311T irons and played one round so far.   I have these installed from 4 - 58* wedge (they are NOT the Modus Wedge shaft but the normal PW shaft cut down) - I dont like the Modus wedge shaft feel  at all.    I was playing the Modus 105X shafts prior to the 115's and really liked them for trajectory, control and consistent results (Distance).    My swing can get really quick on the golf course but the 105x shafts worked well in both smooth and quick swings.   I also transitioned to Modus earlier this year since my elbow flared up again from the Dynamic Golf shafts.   The modus shafts helps me a ton from the freaking elbow pain that i have been dealing with the past few years.   

On to the shafts -  for those that hit and played the Modus 105's - think of the 115's as the bigger brother - same characteristics but just a bit more heft to them.   My sweet spot for irons shafts is the 112 - 120 range based off previous fittings.   Anything lower can get wild due to my inconsistent swing and anything higher i start to fight fatigue nearing the end of the round (Sloppy swings pop up).    I was waiting patiently for these to arrive since on paper that was going to be a perfect fit and after one round and a few range sessions - they are working spot on for me.     Plus the color combination with my grey grips is a sweet setup.  

Sorry guys but I do not have any spin number or Launch data at this time - I will say the spin is there and they act exactly as the 105's - hit the green and stop 3 ft. from landing spot - my deceit angle does help with that since I have never had a problem with stopping the golf ball.         

The trajectory window is exactly where I want it (I hate talking about this because everyone has different perceptions of way too high vs. too low) - I expect to see it in a specific window and it is there every time.    I can still hit knockdowns or 3/4 swings with same consistent results.   

The shaft flex is great as well for my normal smooth transition or my very quick swing that comes out of nowhere moments.   

I have played the 125X in the past (Younger days) and the 115's feel similar to both the 105 and 125 for me.  Great shaft for those that want some extra weight without going into the 125-130 gram weight class.     

Fire away with questions or comments - I can definitely try and help answer them.   

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 8:54 PM, DesertRain said:

MPG

you playing 115x??  I’m currently in the 105x and intrigued...

thanks

Yes, I was playing the 105x and I liked them but could get a little “squirrelly” due to some quicker swings that pop up.  I am now playing the 115x and will not go back.  I have played 7 rounds and they are terrific.   I played the 125x and 105x and now the 115x.  This is the perfect shaft for me and they perform exactly as I want and need.  

send me questions and I will do my best to answer them.  

• Like 1

Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

How do these compare to DG 120. Feel and launch?

Callaway Tour Issue Paradym TD-S 8.5 (7.9) - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 5X

TaylorMade TOUR Stealth 2 15 - Fujikura Ventus Red TR 7X
PXG 0317X Gen 5 19  (Actual 17.5) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
PXG 0311X Gen 5 -  Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317T - 4 - LAGP L-Series (5) X
Miura KM-700  5-PW - LAGP L-Series (5) X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy 2 " 50,54,60 - DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Holiday LTD (23}/ LAGP 135 (White)

On 1/10/2021 at 5:40 PM, Micrys2 said:

Any updates on timing of availability?  Do fitters like Club Champion have these yet? Yes 

The standard chrome versions won't be out until later in the year, summer, I believe. Nippon allowed dealers to have access to 2-3 sets of the limited edition sets. Probably won't see a demo of these for a little while. They are good though, really good. 

13 hours ago, djhgolf said:

How do these compare to DG 120. Feel and launch?

I got fit for PXG back in early 2020 for the Gen 3 irons and was fit into Nippon 950 shafts.  This fitting was in February with a winter swing and I knew this shaft would be a possible issue in summer when swing is back in gear.   I went back to my PXG fitter for a "Sanity" check in the 2020 summer.  It helps that a very good friend of mine is the PXG fitter for our area and was going to see if there is another shaft that would work better that my swing is much better than the winter time.    I was fit into the DG 120's since the launch, trajectory and spin numbers were very good and I was getting consistency with every shot.    The main problem with any Dynamic Gold product are my elbows feel like they are going to explode after 3 rounds.     During the fitting, he told me the sweet spot for shaft weight on irons is 115-120 range since it controls both my quicker swings as well as my normal transition swing.    

I had to get rid of the DG120 for my own sake or my golf would be over early and that is where Modus 105x shaft came into play.  I knew the shafts were light but worked out but as soon as i heard about the Modus 115 - i knew i had to have them and bite the bullet for them.  They were not cheap but it did not matter to me since my results on the course are terrific.   

With all that being said, both DG120 and Modus 115 have same flight and distance characteristics with spins to hold the greens but the Modus shaft feels SO MUCH better and my elbow is not flaring up at all.    I could definitely play the DG 120's if i had 20 year old elbows again but with age - comes Modus!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have these how is the finish holding up?

Callaway Tour Issue Paradym TD-S 8.5 (7.9) - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 5X

TaylorMade TOUR Stealth 2 15 - Fujikura Ventus Red TR 7X
PXG 0317X Gen 5 19  (Actual 17.5) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
PXG 0311X Gen 5 -  Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317T - 4 - LAGP L-Series (5) X
Miura KM-700  5-PW - LAGP L-Series (5) X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy 2 " 50,54,60 - DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Holiday LTD (23}/ LAGP 135 (White)

17 hours ago, djhgolf said:

For those who have these how is the finish holding up?

I had them in play for 8-10 rounds with zero damage, scuffs or fading.   I am watching for this constantly but so far so good.  Much better than the KBS smoke version they used a few years ago.    

On 2/1/2021 at 4:03 PM, Morry said:

When is the full release??

moving 105-x to 115-s should work, yes?

I was told March/April when these were first announced however I haven’t checked on the date since. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

On 1/18/2021 at 6:53 PM, Morry said:

What if 105-x in long irons and 115-s in the shorter ones?

think that will blend well from a launch, spin and profile perspective?

I would stick with the same flex in both shafts, the concern would be the difference in SW and/or total weight from the long clubs to the short irons and messing with your swing and timing. If you need a higher launch for just your long irons, you are either playing the wrong shaft to start with, or the wrong head.

the additional 10 grams per shaft weight is not going to be a full flex stiffer, it would be hardly noticeable if at all.

Edited by wely324

• 1 month later...

Well, the news is not good...my club builder reached out to Nippon to inquire about when the retail release of the chrome 115 Stiff will occur. He was told “Nippon has no current plans to add the Modus 115 to their shaft line up.” Quite disappointing news. 

• Confused 1

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

2 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

Well, the news is not good...my club builder reached out to Nippon to inquire about when the retail release of the chrome 115 Stiff will occur. He was told “Nippon has no current plans to add the Modus 115 to their shaft line up.” Quite disappointing news. 

What does that mean? Teh shaft wont be available to buy? Wont be used as option for club manufacturers?

Why launch a product and then not release it?

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

8 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

What does that mean? Teh shaft wont be available to buy? Wont be used as option for club manufacturers?

Why launch a product and then not release it?

Wording is pretty clear.   They've decommitted the launch.   

Can only guess, but given the general situation in lots of industries, it's possible that they expected supply issues that limit production capability to be over by now but it hasn't worked out that way.   Introducing another product would just make that problem worse.

If that's the case, then I suspect it will eventually be released, they just aren't saying when because they may not know with any confidence.

Hope they aren't killing it entirely as it's something I'm interested in trying.

My fitter told me they still have the black version available. Apparently they are disappointed in the sell through of the special edition so it sounds like they backed off production plans for the 115. I think it’s a mistake to gauge interest on a special edition which carried a premium price tag. I think they would’ve sold every chrome 115 they made if it came in at the same price as all other Modus shafts. 

• Like 1

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x