Is the European Tour basically the Korn Ferry at this point?

That tour appears to be dead. Other than when the big Euro names show up to keep them eligible for the Ryder Cup, that tour has turned into a feeder tour just like the Korn Ferry. Is that accurate or have I just happened to watch the few tournaments that are the equivalent to an opposite field event on the PGA Tour? 

Edit: I thought I saw it flash on the screen that the winner of the Irish open was due to get 199+k pounds? 

Edited by OrangeGravy
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FWIW, I prefer the ET over the PGA most times. The coverage is better and the fans don't act like they were rounded up from a trailer park or Walmart. Plus, they don't take themselves as seriously so

Assume you’re trolling   yes, this year, europe is locked down. Maybe next year as well the way it’s going. No spectators, limited sponsorship etc. Players can’t play both tours due to quara

PGA Tour is not going well too, I see zero spectators at those tournaments 🤔

Posted Images

I think with Covid, some of the bigger Euro players who also have PGA status (Rory, Fleetwood, Stenson, Westwood, Casey) are choosing to stay based in the US.  Shane Lowry did play in the US Open and then traveled back to Ireland for his home country's Open but he's an exception and not the rule.  Euro guys that qualified for the PGA and US Open, like Thomas Pieters, wonder what he did?  He also just had a baby, not sure where he's living.

Also since Ryder Cup was supposed to be last weekend and the fact that the teams were locked in points wise for the most part, it doesn't make sense to be constantly hopping the Atlantic.

I think some of the bigger upcoming events might have better fields.  With the PGA tour essentially having 50 events in the next season, I would expect quite a few of these fall events to look like Korn Ferry events also.

• Like 3

10.5 Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Triple Diamond Evenflow Blue 65
Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood Tensei Blue 75
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood Tensei Blue 75
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-PW Project X 6/0
Callaway MD 4 Forged 50, 54
MD PM Grind 58 and 64
Odyssey MXM 9 HT
Taylormade TP 5 X

1 hour ago, golfandfishing said:

The Euro Tour is on a long run of growth.  You may have noticed that some things have been affected by a bug going around this year though. 

Can you define "long run of growth?"  Prize money, events, etc?

I agree that even with COVID that the tour does seem to have a lot less star power than, say, 10 years ago.   How many euro top 40 player types really just stay on the euro tour like you used to see?  Don't they all come to PGA?    FTR, not a euro tour hater at all, I quite like watching it on Saturday and Sunday mornings and hearing non-shlocky announcers.

Edited by chigolfer1

I think it's a relic - with the globalization of the game, the best players want to play against the best competition week in and week out (which, incidentally, comes with the most money).  The top European players probably think it's an annoyance to have to compete there to make it to the Ryder Cup (unless they're one of the top 5 Euros in the world rankings) so you generally see guy play a tourney or two in their home country out of tradition, the Scottish open before The Open Champioship, and any end of year things in The Race to Dubai if they are in the running.

It's better than the Korn Ferry because there is still top flight talent that roll in and out of tournaments.

• Like 3

I'm trying to think of the player who won carrying his own bag a few months back?

VERY accomplished player, and I think he needed points or SOMETHING in the WGR.

Not sure he was even ranked that week on the ET? But the talent is deeper on the ET I would suspect. The number of young hungry guys is probably moreso the KF.

I knew Brooks would be good when he was winning on the ET.

1 hour ago, m d g said:

Score one for the country club snobs...

I had relatives that were on a fixed income and lived in a trailer park. They were nice folks and loved to golf (public course) and would take me when I was a kid. They weren't yahoos...

lol, most of those yahoos are in fact country club snobs. It takes a certain level of entitlement to attend a PGA tour event in a pink polo, teal chubbies shorts, boat shoes, and proceed to hoot and holler after slamming back 20 $11 beers

• Like 3

I tuned into coverage of the Euro event over the weekend. Not sure if coverage is like this every week or just because it was the Irish Open but it actually felt like I was watching golf coverage. I didn't care if I had no idea who the players were, I felt like I had a feel for player's rounds and really felt when they made a bad shot/decision. Definitely going to record the Scottish Open and check out more coverage. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, m d g said:

Score one for the country club snobs...

I had relatives that were on a fixed income and lived in a trailer park. They were nice folks and loved to golf (public course) and would take me when I was a kid. They weren't yahoos...

I'm not a country club member but, to quote Michael Caine, I'm a miserable, grumpy elitist, and that works for me.

1 hour ago, Krt22 said:

lol, most of those yahoos are in fact country club snobs. It takes a certain level of entitlement to attend a PGA tour event in a pink polo, teal chubbies shorts, boat shoes, and proceed to hoot and holler after slamming back 20 $11 beers

Right? Whether someone does or doesn't have a ton of money should not determine if they can act with some class.

It's possible to have fun without being an asshat.

• Like 3

It’s ultimately a “feeder tour” but it’s key to developing many of the best golfers in the world until they attain enough status and money to move to the US for most of the year, have year round warm weather, and have continuity in their schedules to practice for the 3 majors here.

Also, take Brooks Koepka. He played the Challenge tour in Europe before even working his way to the Euro tour and then got to the PGA Tour.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, m d g said:

You sound like a nice person...I hope, for your sake, you have something to feel 'elite' about.

I think you're misunderstanding me, but that's largely my fault since I've not been very specific.

My grandparents and parents were working class, as were my wife's. We're the first generation to go to college and earn a solid living - she's a physician and I own an electrical engineering/contracting outfit -but we don't forget where we came from and use our influence to lobby for things like a universal living wage program for our area, which is predominantly rural, lower-income and service-based jobs that don't have a good future.

Golf is an entertainment venue and people have diverse ideas about how to have fun. I just think that shouting nonsense after a tee-off or putt is kind of lowbrow and disrespectful to the athletes competing in these events. And that's probably elitist, hence my quote.

The trailer park and Walmart references were meant as a trope or stereotype of the sort of behaviour you see on golf coverage. No disrespect intended but I apologize if I inflicted any.

• Like 3

The ET must be an echelon below the PGA Tour, but the tradition and tournaments and fields of the ET can’t be compared with Korn Ferry.  

And on tv coverage, the Euros are superb at covering events with knowledgeable and articulate commentators that don’t say “he’s got a four footer” when it’s already on the screen. And I guess a lot less funds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Bubbtubbs said:

The trailer park and Walmart references were meant as a trope or stereotype of the sort of behaviour you see on golf coverage. No disrespect intended but I apologize if I inflicted any.

Then it sounds like we have similar backgrounds...I just didn't get the need to take a gratuitous shot at Walmart shoppers and trailer park dwellers...Yes, it's shorthand for 'uncouth,' but part of the reason that's so is because it keeps getting perpetuated. No harm no foul...

Btw, the only thing I feel elite about is my ability to chunk or blade a chip from even the most perfect of lies : )

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Assume you’re trolling

yes, this year, europe is locked down. Maybe next year as well the way it’s going. No spectators, limited sponsorship etc. Players can’t play both tours due to quarantine.

however, we’re not the ones who had to invent an alternative to the Ryder Cup because we couldn’t win it..

Naaw Orange ain't trolling I know him better than that

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

6 hours ago, Bubbtubbs said:

FWIW, I prefer the ET over the PGA most times. The coverage is better and the fans don't act like they were rounded up from a trailer park or Walmart. Plus, they don't take themselves as seriously so their YouTube channel has more entertaining content like club challenges. 

Wait one minute hold the presses--- I live in a trailer park and do not act like the southern end of a north bound mule. Actually back in the day on the mini tours in Florida one of my nicknames was Trailer Park because I lived in a carny friend of mine's trailer in Winter Park.

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

3 hours ago, Bubbtubbs said:

I think you're misunderstanding me, but that's largely my fault since I've not been very specific.

My grandparents and parents were working class, as were my wife's. We're the first generation to go to college and earn a solid living - she's a physician and I own an electrical engineering/contracting outfit -but we don't forget where we came from and use our influence to lobby for things like a universal living wage program for our area, which is predominantly rural, lower-income and service-based jobs that don't have a good future.

Golf is an entertainment venue and people have diverse ideas about how to have fun. I just think that shouting nonsense after a tee-off or putt is kind of lowbrow and disrespectful to the athletes competing in these events. And that's probably elitist, hence my quote.

OK I apologize too now back to golf

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Well, in fairness to ‘Murica, I think the man thong he probably picked up in Europe. 

Very popular in Canada too. 

Well , i'm not sure if it's very popular, as much as i know people that wear them

Well, to be fair it's not as much that i know people who wear them

It's just that I often wear them

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic SubZero 13 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

Deschamps Blade 375g

7 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Players will go where the money is. These threads always turn into chest beating etc....The US tends to pay more in golf. So golfers want to go there. It's nothing against Europe...it looks like on average the purses are 2X over here

Not a great deal of great Canadian actors stay here to do Canadian theater. They go to Hollywood....i wonder why!

Live in Florida and play golf year round with no state income tax.  It has an appeal even for a person already living in the States.  I would imagine, unless you had a deep national pride keeping you there, it is even more appealing from a financial standpoint coming from a European country with typically higher taxes.

Nothing new here. The dough has been in the US since golf stone age. Most active amateur golfers are in the US. US seem to have dough enough even with the globalization shite going on. Europs don’t. But anyhow, money enough to keep guys reasonably happy staying. With the help of China, the Rolex tournaments. All europs don’t flourish over there. Beef for one. Matt Wallace should have stayed.  Its not a Korn Ferry. Its on the other side of the big waters. Money will attract some, but its not like they go to where they belong. They belong here. But Rory didn’t even play Irish this year. Too much virus and too little dough. But I tell you, I havent seen Rory as happy as when finally winning Irish. And Alex had his hey days here. 

whet the virus stuff is over I hope some of the guys will come home.  

Edited by Hankshank