2020 KPMG PGA Championship

Golf Dino

I'm a big fan of Minjee (of course) and Sei Young Kim. They both bring good form into the event, but with the compressed season are showing signs of burnout - like they'll play well, but not win it. I hope I am wrong.

Hoping for a strong showing from In Gee. I think the tougher it is, the more it suits her.

Still barracking for A. Jutanugarn, but she seems to be in a tough spot right now, despite promising signs.

• Like 3

KPMG took care of the entry fees this week and added a third meal (dinner) in the clubhouse for players. This is a tournament that excels at the details. And it does not go unnoticed.

That was the tweet from 18majors, I mean beth Anne nichols... 

My question: 

Really? They have to pay entry fees???? I know dinner isn't served (I've seen enough of some players' dinners to know they bought it themselves or ate it at their hotels) 

Edited by Newinup

26 minutes ago, Newinup said:

KPMG took care of the entry fees this week and added a third meal (dinner) in the clubhouse for players. This is a tournament that excels at the details. And it does not go unnoticed.

That was the tweet from 18majors, I mean beth Anne nichols... 

My question: 

Really? They have to pay entry fees???? I know dinner isn't served (I've seen enough of some players' dinners to know they bought it themselves or ate it at their hotels) 

Yes, they have to pay fees and some tournaments have minimal meal service. I know of a tournament that at one point was doing sandwiches, bags of chips, canned soda and cookies. There was a rain delay and it didn’t matter most players were going to be done  after 6, player dining closed at 5 and they wouldn’t even leave out snacks for those coming in. Other events have all kinds of food available for players and in some cases an open bar where it gets really interesting on a Friday after the cut or a Sunday after the final round. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Man, everybody give up on SH Park already? 
Going all in on DK this week. Although Nasa is heating up again...

Anyone reckon Mel Reid notches a top 10, or MC? 

Karen Stupples commented that she thinks Sei Young Kim is the best Korean Player on tour right now and that Sung Hyun Park needs to catch fire quickly in order to get herself into the mix on Sunday.   And she has some interesting observations about Nasa too.  

https://bit.ly/3lfweWb

Or:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/were-talking-golf/id1531979850

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 2

Hasn't it been reported that Sung Hyun is battling an injury? Her play has been rather sporadic. In any case Sei Young is still the better of the two at the current time.

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

18 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Hasn't it been reported that Sung Hyun is battling an injury? Her play has been rather sporadic. In any case Sei Young is still the better of the two at the current time.

Sei Young is on top of scoring average because she didn’t play Australia and Scotland.

The thing I don’t like about Karen is her big mouth.

It’s preposterous to say Sei Young is the best Korean playing when Inbee Park is active and successful.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

What would you offer up to suggest that Inbee is currently the best Korean player on tour right now and perhaps over the past 3-4 years?  

SYK has 10 wins on the LPGA since 2015.  She has had two seasons of winning 3 times, plus she has 4 wins in the other seasons (this one being excepted).

I really don't think anyone here is foolish enough to suggest that career wise SYK has had a better career than Inbee ... but rather it's a case of "what have you done lately" scenario.  Viewed within that context, Inbee has not won much in that similar time period ...more so from 2017 onwards.  Inbee is worthy of her HoF status and all the accolades that go her way - she has earned them and I am confident that she can still win, just not like she did prior to 2016.

Inbee was semi-retired from 2015 to 2019, though she came out of retirement to win 2016 Olympics Gold.

But she's active in 2020; she's played 9 tournaments, cut, T5, T37, T7, 4, Won, cut, cut, T2.  She's five Top-10 and $677,951 in official money.

Sei Young didn't play well this year at KLPGA.  She's played 5 LPGA events, T18, T18, T5, 5, T7.  She's $263,219 in official money.

Tell me, who's a better 2020?

Edited by 18majors

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

Inbee was semi-retired from 2015 to 2019, though she came out of retirement to win 2016 Olympics Gold.

But she's active in 2020; she's played 9 tournaments, cut, T5, T37, T7, 4, Won, cut, cut, T2.  She's five Top-10 and $677,951 in official money.

Sei Young didn't play well this year in KLPGA.  She's played 5 LPGA events, T18, T18, T5, 5, T7.  She's $263,219 in official money.

Tell me, who's a better 2020?

Thanks for your thoughts and observations.  2020 is a difficult situation to use as a benchmark given the unprecedented situation.  I think your comment about Inbee being "retired" is not as black and white as perhaps you assert given that Inbee has indicated that while she was taking a break, some chose to interpret it as retirement.  And therein lies part of the "disrespect" or "minimizing" of SYK's accomplishments.  It is not SYK's fault that Inbee chose to take some time off.  SYK went out and did what she had to do as a player, and in that time period, she has been the "better" player in terms of number of wins and more.   

Maybe this week's set up at Aronimink will play to Inbee's advantages.  It is playing very long right now ... nearly every player has stated as much in their interviews (the ones interviewed yesterday).  She is pretty terrific with the putter and with bent grass greens she will get plenty of true rolls and looks at birdies.  She is pretty strong with her iron game so if she keeps grinding out Greens In Regulation and putting well, then she will be a serious contender this week.  Her challenge will be that the course is playing very long. 

As Inbee just stated in her "presser", she was hoping for narrower fairways and even more rough as it tends to play to her strengths.  She then went on to say that she was never really a short hitter before, but now the tide is turning.  

"It’s preposterous to say Sei Young is the best Korean playing when Inbee Park is active and successful." 

@18majors  ... while you are most certainly entitled to an opinion, the language used above implies a level of condescension or perhaps dismissiveness of SYK's accomplishments.   There is little doubt over who has more wins over this period of time, etc.  and I suspect that the dismissive tone used, and not only by you but by others elsewhere, is what has led others to comment that SYK doesn't get the credit she deserves.  

Notwithstanding that, I believe that SYK is the better player right now and has been for much of the past several years ... she just keeps "flying under the radar".

Edited by Golf Dino

On 10/5/2020 at 8:05 PM, Golf Dino said:

She played pretty good in NJ ... she seems to be one of those players that is long overdue for a win on tour and why not make it a major?  😄     

2018 was her best year so far it seems.  Her performance at the Evian had me hoping it would be her first, but not in the cards.  I thought she held it together fairly well last weekend as well.  We'll see, this year has been bizarre to say the least and I'll always pull for an underdog.

• Like 1

I was reading a headline on the Golf Channel website that says "Sunday's leaders won't be in final group at KPMG Women's PGA Championship" and I thought it was some feel good story with the Leadership Summit or some other LPGA initiative.  Nope. it's literally the final group will tee off 45 minutes before the last group tees off lol.  I know with network TV coverage especially on a NFL Sunday there would be some schedule concerns but this seems really different lol.  I have no real opinion on it at the moment, I'll reserve judgement till it plays out, but will be interesting to see how players deal with it.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/sundays-leaders-wont-be-final-group-kpmg-womens-pga-championship

Edited by Stooch
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm going with Nelly this week. 'Time for her to step it up a notch.

Two of the last three winners were first time winners. I'd say Amy Olson is my pick to click in this category. 

'Definitely wouldn't mind seeing Minjee or Sei Young getting their first major, or In Gee or Lydia picking up their 3rd.

• Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

6 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I'm going with Nelly this week. 'Time for her to step it up a notch.

Two of the last three winners were first time winners. I'd say Amy Olson is my pick to click in this category. 

'Definitely wouldn't mind seeing Minjee or Sei Young getting their first major, or In Gee or Lydia picking up their 3rd.

No!  I've jinxed Nelly too many times this season.  Don't do it!  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

4 hours ago, Stooch said:

I was reading a headline on the Golf Channel website that says "Sunday's leaders won't be in final group at KPMG Women's PGA Championship" and I thought it was some feel good story with the Leadership Summit or some other LPGA initiative.  Nope. it's literally the final group will tee off 45 minutes before the last group tees off lol.  I know with network TV coverage especially on a NFL Sunday there would be some schedule concerns but this seems really different lol.  I have no real opinion on it at the moment, I'll reserve judgement till it plays out, but will be interesting to see how players deal with it.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/sundays-leaders-wont-be-final-group-kpmg-womens-pga-championship

I'm laughing bec I thought that same thing.. and then all this convoluted tee off scheduling just made me skim and not bother understanding the whole article... I'll just watch it, easier on the eyes LOL...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Newinup said:

I'm laughing bec I thought that same thing.. and then all this convoluted tee off scheduling just made me skim and not bother understanding the whole article... I'll just watch it, easier on the eyes LOL...

Pfffft. 'Doesn't make a whole lotta sense. The winner often comes from the 2nd or 3rd to last group. What happens if a player in the 2nd from last group makes a charge? We're going to miss it? Any idea if they're planning to use split tees on the weekend? Makes more sense to gave the upper half of the leaderboard tee off in the morning, and finish by the early afternoon.

My advice to everyone is to schedule your DVR to record the Golf Channel for the 2 hour period after the conclusion of the NBC coverage.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Pfffft. 'Doesn't make a whole lotta sense. The winner often comes from the 2nd or 3rd to last group. What happens if a player in the 2nd from last group makes a charge? We're going to miss it? Any idea if they're planning to use split tees on the weekend? Makes more sense to gave the upper half of the leaderboard tee off in the morning, and finish by the early afternoon.

My advice to everyone is to schedule your DVR to record the Golf Channel for the 2 hour period after the conclusion of the NBC coverage.

In today's presser sessions, it was explained that the biggest factor driving this from the PGA/LPGA's perspective is that it's October and that there is 3 hours less daylight now than it would be if it was held at the usual June time period.  As such, they want to finish before dark, hence the leaders going out in the earlier wave than the late one.  Of course, NBC also has a broadcast commitment at 2:00 pm Eastern for Nascar ... but the impression I got was that it appears to have not been as much of a factor as it was with the amount of daylight, but who knows for certain.  🤷‍♂️   I also got the impression that it was not limited to just the "last" group of leaders ... but would include a few of those groups.  I will try and dig up that information a little later to confirm if my understanding is correct or misses the mark! 😂

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ok now I'm totally confused! Lol. Can they just split screen and run left and right and show the leaders where ever they are? 😛 I don't have a dvr so I will have to watch this live... At this point, I'll just hope my usual bets make it to the weekend, then I'll start wondering if I can see them on TV -- by waiting for you guys to give me what you figure out how they'll be doing it on Sunday 😛

Edited by Newinup
Adding comments for other posters to let me know the final sked

34 minutes ago, Newinup said:

Ok now I'm totally confused! Lol. Can they just split screen and run left and right and show the leaders where ever they are? 😛 I don't have a dvr so I will have to watch this live... At this point, I'll just hope my usual bets make it to the weekend, then I'll start wondering if I can see them on TV -- by waiting for you guys to give me what you figure out how they'll be doing it on Sunday 😛

Are you still subscribing to cable TV?  We cut the cord three years ago; it saved us US$250.00 a month.

I just checked, there isn't Hulu in Canada.  But, with Hulu, DVR came with the service.  

There must be similar streaming services in Canada, it's worth a look.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Are you still subscribing to cable TV?  We cut the cord three years ago; it saved us US$250.00 a month.

I just checked, there isn't Hulu in Canada.  But, with Hulu, DVR came with the service.  

There must be similar streaming services in Canada, it's worth a look.

Sadly they're not up to par here in CAD in terms of sports non cable TV .  I am actually relying on my ISP to provide me a la carte sports channels that I actually do watch. Which turns out cheaper than paying cable TV companies here that are "thieving" oligopolists... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Newinup said:

Sadly they're not up to par here in CAD in terms of sports non cable TV .  I am actually relying on my ISP to provide me a la carte sports channels that I actually do watch. Which turns out cheaper than paying cable TV companies here that are "thieving" oligopolists... 

Unfortunately, in Canada, the major sports channels are licensed to existing networks (in Canada it is both Bell and Rogers ... which is why Montreal Canadiens hockey team play in the Bell Centre and the Toronto Blue Jays baseball club play in the Rogers Centre).  So these two networks carry the rights to the Golf Channel and to channels like ESPN, SN, etc. and they cannot be rebroadcast in Canada by anyone else.  They used to package their cable services in such a manner that you had to buy the basic and then add on the specialty channel!   

It would be great if we can finally get on demand streaming sports channels for the Golf Channel similar to the specialty Soccer Channel (DAZN).  Anyway @18majors  I suspect this is kind of like "Greek" to an American that is used to a totally different broadcasting landscape!  Needless to say, the networks say that because of the smaller market size, they need exclusivity.

@Newinup ... which "channels" are you able to get through your ISP?  

3 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

In today's presser sessions, it was explained that the biggest factor driving this from the PGA/LPGA's perspective is that it's October and that there is 3 hours less daylight now than it would be if it was held at the usual June time period.  As such, they want to finish before dark, hence the leaders going out in the earlier wave than the late one.  Of course, NBC also has a broadcast commitment at 2:00 pm Eastern for Nascar ... but the impression I got was that it appears to have not been as much of a factor as it was with the amount of daylight, but who knows for certain.  🤷‍♂️   I also got the impression that it was not limited to just the "last" group of leaders ... but would include a few of those groups.  I will try and dig up that information a little later to confirm if my understanding is correct or misses the mark! 😂

I dug up a bit more info on the Tee Time scheduling.  I'm still not sure if the change only applies to the leaders or if it is extended to the traditional last few groups.  Here is what the PGA had to say about it earlier today: 

“The fall schedule, as we all know on television, is full of many sports that have either normally finished or just started, so our weekend time slot has been moved to now a 3:00 and a 2:00 p.m. finish time on Saturday and Sunday,” said Kerry Haigh, the Chief Championships Officer of the PGA of America. “In some ways we could be making history this week because we will have the leaders not teeing off at the end of the wave on Sunday. And if we don't finish on Friday, they will not be teeing off last on Saturday, either. We feel it's important that everyone watching the telecast will see the leaders, see the leaders play all 18 holes, and we think that is important. And although it's a little different and out of the box, we as partners with the LPGA (Tour) and KPMG are prepared to make those changes for what we think will be a greater and a better championship for everyone to observe.”

[my emphasis added]

• Like 2