Drive fitting, how much might I gain?

45 yo, 7 handicap.  5-11, 160.  Club head speed w driver is 90, spin numbers and launch were ok last time I was on a monitor but I don’t know the values exactly (I think around 13 and 2500).  Carry distance is about 220.  Currently playing a GBB Epic, 9 deg, stock shaft, reg flex.  Very consistent, lots of fairways.

looking at new drivers as current is 4-5 years old and beat up. 

It’s 2 hours to closest truespec or club champion.

how much distance do I stand to gain from driving to a high end fitter vs my local Dicks store?  Will it really help a player such as myself?

Thanks 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a chart on the Trackman site for "optimal" launch and spin #'s. It's kind of old, but it might help. Type in "driver optimization" and you'll find it searching on their site.

According to that chart, 90MPH is optimal at 13.4º and 3,093 RPM. The chart says "Carry Optimization" so not sure if there is another for total distance, but was unable to locate.

So I don't think you are far off. Smash factor might be one aspect to look at if your contact is as good as it can be.

I think I'm going to search other LM manufacturer sites for more up to date #'s.

Anyone have any other LM optimization charts they've come across? Are these still considered valid #'s above?

I liked my spin in that 2500 range when I was swinging 110+. So you are definitely NOT spinning it too much. You might get some more carry with just a little more spin to keep it in the air longer without suffering ballooning. If they put you into something like 1500 RPM, I suspect it to be awful.

According to this trackman chart, your #'s are "optimal" for 115 MPH. That jives with what I saw.

Edited by blueonblack

If you are truly making 90mph swings and truly averaging around 220 yards *carry* on your solid strikes then it's hard to imagine there's much room to gain distance unless you somehow find a club you can swing faster than 90mph. That's a pretty darned good carry distance for that clubhead speed.

Most of the optimum launch charts I've seen indicate potential 90mph carry distances around 200 with a downward AOA up to maybe 210-215 with an upward AOA. Never seen any that said more than 220 for 90mph.

Then again, I guess it's possible you'll find a driver whose weight, balance and shaft feel suit you better and it'll free you up to gain a few mph of clubhead speed. That might be worth it but it seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, tlasher said:

45 yo, 7 handicap.  5-11, 160.  Club head speed w driver is 90, spin numbers and launch were ok last time I was on a monitor but I don’t know the values exactly (I think around 13 and 2500).  Carry distance is about 220.  Currently playing a GBB Epic, 9 deg, stock shaft, reg flex.  Very consistent, lots of fairways.

looking at new drivers as current is 4-5 years old and beat up. 

It’s 2 hours to closest truespec or club champion.

how much distance do I stand to gain from driving to a high end fitter vs my local Dicks store?  Will it really help a player such as myself?

Thanks 

Those numbers want give you 220 carry, so if thats what you get now, you want get out there again when changing.

The "longest" driver i made for a 90 mph player made it to 199.6 meters carry who is equal to 219.8yards, but it takes 16* of launch and spin below 1900 to get there. 

With 13* launch and spin at 2500 rpm, good shots should deliver max 209 yards carry. 

Edited by Howard_Jones

A 90 mph swing speed at its most efficient will generate 135 mph ball speed. FlightScope’s shot optimizer calculates that a 135 mph ball speed launched at 13* with 2500 rpm spin will carry 210 yards and roll out to 225 yards approximately. If you can launch the ball at 15* with 2000 rpm spin you will pick up 5 yards or so of carry.  I wouldn’t expect any major gains in distance from a high end fitting over what you currently have.  If you are hitting them in the fairway, I wouldn’t make a change unless you just want to try something different.

Edited by jol