Graphite Shafts for Irons that Compare Best to Nippons

wpduck

I am searching for a new set of irons, and was originally planning on getting a set with Nippon (Modus3 Tour 105s or NS Pro 950s) shafts. Just before making a purchase I had some new pain and soreness (59) that have led me to decide I should get graphite shafts in whatever new iron set I get. I love the Nippon shafts I previously mentioned, so if anyone knows any graphite shafts comparable (especially relating to getting a mid to high launch) to those please let me know.

For reference my swingspeed is about 95 with my driver and low 80s with my 7 iron, I have a long, smooth swing and am presently about an 8 hdcp. I am probably getting a set of new irons that has stronger lofts (mainly looking at Mavriks, Mavrik Pros,and Honma 747Ps) that usually seem to produce lower launch angles and less spin. I usually hit my irons (old Srixon I302s with Rifle 5.5s) with a mid launch/flight and that has worked well with those Srixons, but I should probably get shafts that help get the ball a little higher with the new irons I will purchase. 

From my first research I am presently intrigued by: UST Mamiya Recoil shafts; TT Project X Catalyst shafts (definitely the most available with the Mavrik irons); the Aerotech SteeelFiber FC shafts; and the Honma Vizard shafts (since they are easily found with the 747Ps). Please let me know what you think of the graphite shafts I have mentioned or if you have other possibilities for me to consider. Be safe and have a great day!

Due to medical issues I played and enjoyed Steelfiber i110cw "S" (110g) shafts for nearly a year.  Tested Steelfiber i95 "S" but too lite for my tempo and liked MMT 105 "S' except I couldn't justify full-set cost after buying 620 irons.  I tested Steelfiber FC too, but they were not much different to me.  Overall, though, graphite did exactly what I had hoped, tempered impact and vibration while adding back some distance I had lost due to medical issues.   Fortunately, that issue has been addressed, so I was able to go back to steel. 

Finding the right graphite shaft and swing weight was my big challenge, as they are influenced by head and grip weight.

Only instead of my old tried and true PX 6.0, 120g, I went with PX 5.5 115g in 3-SW and gained back a bit more distance and feel.  I still have i95cw in my 2iron though.  Best part the weight of 5.5 steel is 115g not only feels nice, it works nicely with my 620MB's, and somewhat accommodates my quick tempo better.  One of the bothersome things I noticed with graphite, challenging to feel the head.

• Titleist TS2, 9.5, Ventus 5 Series 's'
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd, Ventus 6 Series 's'
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

So many good options.  When I was fit at CC this past winter, I demo'd SF 95/110, and Recoil 95/110 (I believe all in regular flex).  SF 110 gave me the best numbers and performance, followed by the two 95's, and then the Recoil 110 lagging behind.  Having now come to enjoy the Recoil 95, I would not be opposed to giving the Recoil 110 another chance, ideally out on the course and not indoors on a monitor.

At the time, I didn't realize there were other good options like MMT 90/105, Accra, Catalyst 100, etc.  But obviously, the Steelfibers and Recoils are terrific shafts anyway.

Long story short, it took me some time to get used to the SF 110, but once comfortable with them, they have been great.  I now also have iron sets with SF 95 (R) and Recoil 95 (F4-stiff), and those are terrific as well.  I've hit SF FC90, which are smoother than the 95/110, but not sure if the performance is as good for me.  I've even liked MMT 80 stiff in 0211 irons.  Bottom line, there are so many good premium options in graphite these days, there really should be a good fit for just about everyone (even in the heavier weights).

And, every time I have gone back to steel, my pain generally comes back...  Graphite FTW.  YMMV.

Edited by jeffrey r

Taylormade Sim Max D 9* Driver, Fujikura Ventus Red 5S 

Cobra King F9 3 Wood, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7 R

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood, Accra FX 2.0 200F M3

Srixon Z H85 4 Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.0

Ping G425 Irons 5-UW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

Playing Project X Catalyst 100cw 6.0 in Apex Pros and love feel.  Similar response as the 6.0 steel with much lighter weight.

[color=#008080][size=2]Taylormade M6 Driver w/Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX (S)
Taylormade M5 3 Wood w/Tensei CK Orange (S)
Ping 410 3 Hybrid w/Tensei Blue (S)

Taylormade p790 3 iron w/KBS C-Taper Lite (S)

Callaway Apex Pro '19 4-PW w/Project X Catalyst 100 6.0(S)
Titleist Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 50.08F w/Nippon Modus 125 (S)

Titleist Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10S w/Nippon Modus 125 (S)
Titleist Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 58.10S w/Nippon Modus 125 (S)

Scotty Cameron 2014 Fastback w/Superstroke Countercore Pistol GT 1.0[/size][/color]

I went from Modus Tour 120's to the Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once.  Pretty similar driver and iron swing speed numbers as you.  Took about a month to get comfortable with the weight change, but they've been in the bag almost 2 years now with no regrets.  SF's were nice in both weights, but felt harsh compared to the Recoils, and I tried them in R flex.  I do have the Recoil 110's  F4's in my wedges for a little more weight, and really like that.  I may try in my next set, not sure the F4 110's in the irons.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5, Diamana BF 60S  

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220, 16.5* Ventus 4T 6S

Tour Edge Exotics, EXS 220, 21*, Ventus 4T 6S or Ping G425 19* hybrid Tensei Orange

Srixon H85  4H, 22* Hzrdus Black 85, 5.5

Mizuno 921 JPX Hot Metal Pro 5-gw. Steelfiber i110cw ( soft stepped )

Mizuno T22 Copper, 54S & 58D Steelfiber i110 ( 8 iron shaft )

Odyssey OG 2-Ball, Stroke Lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

12 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Due to medical issues I played and enjoyed Steelfiber i110cw "S" (110g) shafts for nearly a year.  Tested Steelfiber i95 "S" but too lite for my tempo and liked MMT 105 "S' except I couldn't justify full-set cost after buying 620 irons.  I tested Steelfiber FC too, but they were not much different to me.  Overall, though, graphite did exactly what I had hoped, tempered impact and vibration while adding back some distance I had lost due to medical issues.   Fortunately, that issue has been addressed, so I was able to go back to steel. 

Finding the right graphite shaft and swing weight was my big challenge, as they are influenced by head and grip weight.

Only instead of my old tried and true PX 6.0, 120g, I went with PX 5.5 115g in 3-SW and gained back a bit more distance and feel.  I still have i95cw in my 2iron though.  Best part the weight of 5.5 steel is 115g not only feels nice, it works nicely with my 620MB's, and somewhat accommodates my quick tempo better.  One of the bothersome things I noticed with graphite, challenging to feel the head.

Thank you Pepperturbo! 

12 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

So many good options.  When I was fit at CC this past winter, I demo'd SF 95/110, and Recoil 95/110 (I believe all in regular flex).  SF 110 gave me the best numbers and performance, followed by the two 95's, and then the Recoil 110 lagging behind.  Having now come to enjoy the Recoil 95, I would not be opposed to giving the Recoil 110 another chance, ideally out on the course and not indoors on a monitor.

At the time, I didn't realize there were other good options like MMT 90/105, Accra, Catalyst 100, etc.  But obviously, the Steelfibers and Recoils are terrific shafts anyway.

Long story short, it took me some time to get used to the SF 110, but once comfortable with them, they have been great.  I now also have iron sets with SF 95 (R) and Recoil 95 (F4-stiff), and those are terrific as well.  I've hit SF FC90, which are smoother than the 95/110, but not sure if the performance is as good for me.  I've even liked MMT 80 stiff in 0211 irons.  Bottom line, there are so many good premium options in graphite these days, there really should be a good fit for just about everyone (even in the heavier weights).

And, every time I have gone back to steel, my pain generally comes back...  Graphite FTW.  YMMV.

Thank you jeffrey r for the great info about your experiences with the graphite shafts! 

10 hours ago, dalillama47 said:

I went from Modus Tour 120's to the Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once.  Pretty similar driver and iron swing speed numbers as you.  Took about a month to get comfortable with the weight change, but they've been in the bag almost 2 years now with no regrets.  SF's were nice in both weights, but felt harsh compared to the Recoils, and I tried them in R flex.  I do have the Recoil 110's  F4's in my wedges for a little more weight, and really like that.  I may try in my next set, not sure the F4 110's in the irons.

Thank you dalilama47! The Recoils seem to be the favorite so far, and for reference it's good to know you have similar swing numbers. 

I also have similar numbers to you, perhaps a bit quicker and play to a 9 index currently. I have been through about 8-10 sets of irons over the past 4-5 seasons looking for the grail set. Modus 120s felt most comfortable to me in many of those sets while also trying and liking DG105, NS PRO 1050GH, and a couple AMT sets. I'm currently gaming a set of MP20 HMBs with Recoil 110 F4 that I built myself. The recoils are really great feeling. Never sore after a round and don't feel loose to me at all. My build goes from D1.5 in the 4i to D3 in the PW and the shafts were between 100-105g cut for reference. I have hit the lighter recoils on occasion and also like the feel but have never gamed them. 

Currently have a set of 747P on the way with modus 120s and I'm also hoping that the shafts get the ball up in the air due to the stronger lofts on that model. I typically don't have any issues with spinning the ball back on the MP20s, much more of a drop and stop on my approach.

4 hours ago, stoneydukes said:

I also have similar numbers to you, perhaps a bit quicker and play to a 9 index currently. I have been through about 8-10 sets of irons over the past 4-5 seasons looking for the grail set. Modus 120s felt most comfortable to me in many of those sets while also trying and liking DG105, NS PRO 1050GH, and a couple AMT sets. I'm currently gaming a set of MP20 HMBs with Recoil 110 F4 that I built myself. The recoils are really great feeling. Never sore after a round and don't feel loose to me at all. My build goes from D1.5 in the 4i to D3 in the PW and the shafts were between 100-105g cut for reference. I have hit the lighter recoils on occasion and also like the feel but have never gamed them. 

Currently have a set of 747P on the way with modus 120s and I'm also hoping that the shafts get the ball up in the air due to the stronger lofts on that model. I typically don't have any issues with spinning the ball back on the MP20s, much more of a drop and stop on my approach.

Thank you for the great info stoneydukes! Do you remember what specific "lighter" Recoils you tried (760, 780, 460, 470,...)? Do you remember what you found different from the lighter Recoils to the 110s (or 95s if you tried them)? Do they all feel smooth? Do some seem more lively/better kick? Any details are greatly appreciated. I also don't seem to have a problem spinning most of these stronger lofted clubs. I know because I have picked up a few 7 irons in different brands, models and shaft combos, and hit them on the range and course... but I am still somewhat concerned with launch angle/peak height?  

5 hours ago, wpduck said:

Thank you for the great info stoneydukes! Do you remember what specific "lighter" Recoils you tried (760, 780, 460, 470,...)? Do you remember what you found different from the lighter Recoils to the 110s (or 95s if you tried them)? Do they all feel smooth? Do some seem more lively/better kick? Any details are greatly appreciated. I also don't seem to have a problem spinning most of these stronger lofted clubs. I know because I have picked up a few 7 irons in different brands, models and shaft combos, and hit them on the range and course... but I am still somewhat concerned with launch angle/peak height?  

I believe the ones I hit were the 780s which felt pretty light compared to what I was hitting at the time (likely the 120 modus) the overall weight of the club really felt like I was swinging faster and I was definitely getting more distance but I think it would have taken a bit to get the dispersion dialed in. Incidentally, the guy who owned the set I hit was a really big guy who drives the ball well over 300 yards. He games the light weight graphite and likes them so I think they can work for all different types of players.

I just swapped over from the Modus 120x to Recoil 110 F5 shafts in my irons due to pain in my elbows. It was just this week so I haven’t had a lot of opportunity to hit the Recoils yet, but the little bit I have used them the feel has been very close to what I had with the Modus shafts. Just way less shock and vibration in my elbows. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Taylormadehunter1 said:

I just swapped over from the Modus 120x to Recoil 110 F5 shafts in my irons due to pain in my elbows. It was just this week so I haven’t had a lot of opportunity to hit the Recoils yet, but the little bit I have used them the feel has been very close to what I had with the Modus shafts. Just way less shock and vibration in my elbows. 

Thank you Taylormadehunter1!  

I played Nippon Modus 105S for a year in TM M5 - was real nice set, but steel caused elbow pain and shoulder socket soreness.  FWIW, I usually have 2-3 sets of irons in rotation.  Was also playing the KBS CTL S shaft in some P790.

Now, gone are those sets and my sig. sets each have graphite.  This (TM P760) is second set of irons with Recoils 110 - F4 stiff.  Perfect feel and no harm to the body!  Those are nice feeling and weighted shafts. Very similar to Modus 105 and the 125 line (these have nearly identical profiles). 

Too bad MR does not offer their Kurokage TiNi 105S shaft other than thru Titelist.  Also, perfect for me now after 1 year with steel from Nippon/KBS.

Edited by avguy

BAG ONE:                                                                                                                     BAG TWO:
-Titleist 917 D2                                                                                          -Cobra F9 Tour Length 
5- Mizuno MP titanium                                                                                 3 - Mizuno MP titanium
-Titleist 915 H1 17, Titleist 816  H1 21                                                      -TM 2.0 SF 18 & 21
I - Titleist T100/MR KK TiNi 105                                                                   I - TM P760/Recoils 110 F4

- Mizuno 53, Vokey SM6 58                                                                     W - Mizuno T10 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P- Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                                       -Guerin TS Black 370