How do you feel about the modern, casual approach to golf?

me05501

1 minute ago, Talldog said:

Georgia Tech is nicknamed yellow jackets, because the alumni used to wear gold/yellow coats and ties to the ball games (the school's official colors are white & gold). 

Not many people wear a jacket and tie to football games anymore. Although, I remember that most college football coaches wore sports-coats & ties in the 60s & 70s. 

I miss Tom Landry. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

3 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

I know some folks on GolfWRX can be very traditional, so I usually wear a jacket and tie when I post a comment so as not to offend them.

I wearing it now.

That’s great, but can you beat a LPGA tour pro while doing so?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

4 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I find public courses have largely gone down the road of 'relaxed' etiquette a long long time ago. Much of it I did not like - the chief being pace of play. This drove me to the private club golf world. Here etiquette is largely upheld, but each club has it's own flavour. Some  are holding the line and doing very well, some going relaxed and doing well. Seems like a good mix to me.

37 minutes ago, 7ironDave said:

Untucked shirts! The horror, c’mon who cares if someone has their shirt untucked. 

I’m all for the relaxed golf attitude, without it the sport would die. While I respect the judge Smails  type folks, they are a dying breed, the 20somethings are the future of golf.  

Couple beers and some tunes on a nice Saturday/Sunday with friends playing 18 can’t be beat. 

Opinion, not fact, the sport will die without the element of what you characterize as “a relaxed attitude."

It’s not that an untucked shirt, jeans, music or a few beers on a golf course is wrong or unjust.  No one is pointing fingers or being judgmental.  Some people have a preference to be in that element and some don’t.   I am one that does not.   

Some of our club’s events have a relaxed tone but as a rule of thumb we all follow the club’s guidelines and maintain respect for fellow members.   

You see, it's about respect for others, not just "the self." 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, 7ironDave said:

Untucked shirts! The horror, c’mon who cares if someone has their shirt untucked. 

I’m all for the relaxed golf attitude, without it the sport would die. While I respect the judge Smails  type folks, they are a dying breed, the 20somethings are the future of golf.  

Couple beers and some tunes on a nice Saturday/Sunday with friends playing 18 can’t be beat. 

Hmmm...I've given this some thought...(uh-oh)

I know there are successful people of every generation. But from all reports, and those seeking student debt and consumer debt relief; are the younger people really the ones writing the checks right now?

I'm astounded at how little older golfers are advertised/marketed to, now that I am one myself.

Unless they want to sell you an annuity or a Cadillac/Benz...

I fear if the 20-somethings are the future of PUBLIC ACCESS GOLF, that segment may be in trouble in years to come. Perhaps shortly.

• Like 1

I haven’t set foot on the grounds of a private club since I was a caddy 50 years ago. Then, as now, I play the public and muni courses with the other blue collar, and sometimes no collar, crowd. I don’t see much difference in the players then and now. Except we didn’t have the technology to bring music to the course. My playing partner brings a small, Bluetooth speaker for the cart. I can do without it, but it doesn’t bother me either. It plays pretty quietly. I’ve seen guys in the other cart in our group who were not even aware it was on the entire round.

• Like 2

(OP here) I'm also a lifelong musician and it never occurred to me that I needed to listen to music while playing, but I don't mind when someone else streams their phone or a small bluetooth speaker. It rarely distracts me. I feel a little sorry for people with homes very close to tee boxes who never expected to hear a steady stream of music from carts all day long, but they are probably used to the distraction of carts and voices anyway. 

As far as earbuds go, I think that can be worse if it causes the player to detach himself from the group. 

Several weeks ago I was playing a very exclusive private club as the guest of a few people who are vendors to my office. The guy riding in the cart with me put in an earbud and streamed music most of the round. He left his open ear toward me, which...whatever, but it was sort of off-putting to me that we were meant to be enjoying the day and round together but he had to have music piped into his brain instead of relying on the game and the conversation to entertain him. 

All things considered I'd have preferred a speaker under those circumstances, but this isn't the kind of place where that is likely to happen. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Do I care if you play music? No, unless it blasting and can be heard from 50 feet away, same goes when I'm playing it

Do I care what someone wears? No, unless it's shirtless and a dad bod like mine, no one wants to see it, trust me.

Do I care that you drink on the course? No, as long as you get home safe and don't damage the course.

Personally, I think 80% of golfers / people fall in this category, they can or can not do something as long as it is done in moderation and are fine. The other 20% think things should only be there way whichever side it is, music, clothes ect and everyone else is wrong.

Wait this sounds very familiar.......

• Like 2

The casual approach is not related specifically to golf....look at the business world. A lot of office jobs and even sales jobs required a coat and jacket 20-30 years ago.  A lot of those positions now are business casual dress. In general our society has become more relaxed when it comes to the rules of dressing, so if golf did not adapt it risked getting left behind. Individuality is very important to the younger generation.

Personally I don't have a problem with the more casual approach to golf as long as people are considerate and still show respect for each other......These are some of my opinions on the issues of casual golf

Keep up with the pace of play. If you are a slow golfer or play with one, or are playing with someone who has never played before, then do not book one of the most desirable tee-time slots. You should be playing off peak. Also If you cannot keep up with the foursome in front of you, then let people play through, or when you fall a full hole behind, skip a hole to get back on pace.  In the same regard, if you are a fast foursome, or playing in a group with less than 4 don't be the $%#@%^ that thinks everyone enjoys speed golf. If the group in front of you is a foursome and playing at a 4 hour pace and there are a bunch of foursomes lined up in front of them there is nothing wrong with that.....Just calm down and enjoy being on the golf course...

If you are playing music do not blare it across the course. I used to be dead set against music on the course, but as someone who has been stuck on courses and in a league with some slow play, I understand the benefit of some music to keep you on an even keel. But the music should only be able to be heard in your cart and only a couple feet away from it. You do not need to hear music to tee off or to putt.......If you do, then maybe you should stick to miniature golf

As for dress codes, I am OK with a casual but nice look. I agree with the no "wife beater" tank tops for men and no cut-off shorts for men or women. People wearing jeans does not bother me even though I would think a nice pair of slacks would be more comfortable and the fabric breathes and flexes more. Personally I prefer to wear comfy but nice looking cargo shorts year round. Untucked shirts do not bother me because here in Phoenix it is already so hot, why try to cook your crotch area even more by tucking in your shirt.

Having a few beers on the golf course is fine as long as it does not effect pace of play. There is nothing wrong with having a few on the course, but if you want to get wasted, save that for the 19th hole.

That's my 2 cents

Edited by 1Mordrid1
  • Like 2

its interesting that all of us in this thread who identify as musicians prefer not to hear music on the golf course

Again -wear ear buds if you must

Also here in south Florida I am not tucking in a shirt or wearing long pants - I do use the athletic fit polos that stay close enough to the body that no one has ever said anything about it

Also- I dont care if anybody smokes cigars but dont throw the turds on the green or tee box when you are done

Edited by miamistomp
  • Like 1

Relaxed is totally cool with me, it’s more inviting. Hell even babes are wanting to pay golf. Only thing I can’t stand is music on the course, I mean ffs just enjoy the quiet. Also I feel like drinks should be after the round, not in excess and slowing down the 4 somes of finance bro’s who made the trek out to the course that day. 

2 hours ago, 7ironDave said:

Because little things like untucked shirts, hat off in the club house, collared shirts, etc keeps a certain feel to the club, and some people enjoy that feel and style. 

Now I can understand some public courses having a hard time maintaining as this have less say against the public, but when you pay a lot of money to be at a private course, it becomes like a second home for some members. Some members enjoy the formalities of the club and is probably one of the reasons they joined. 

No one is saying you cant go get drunk on the course, or even play music.....just do it with your shirt tucked in if the course/club requests you to do so. 

3 hours ago, miamistomp said:

its interesting that all of us in this thread who identify as musicians prefer not to hear music on the golf course

Also here in south Florida I am not tucking in a shirt or wearing long pants - I do use the athletic fit polos that stay close enough to the body that no one has ever said anything about it

Also- I dont care if anybody smokes cigars but dont throw the turds on the green or tee box when you are done

I'm with you.  I am an audio engineer by trade and a musician occasionally, I listen to music almost constantly.  Golf is one of the few things I find music doesn't improve.  Beyond disliking music on the course though, I don't really care about much etiquette-wise, just be polite. 

• Like 1

In general I prefer the more casual approach.  Standing around on the tee box while one self appointed captain tries to figure out who had the best score on the last hole so he can assign a batting order is ridiculous...fixing your ball mark is mandatory.  Music is one thing that I have mixed feelings about.  I never object when someone asks, and it’s not a big deal, but I could do without it.  If I want t9 listen to something and be antisocial I just wear ear buds, and turn it off around the green so I can be polite if someone wants to chat.

its kind of funny that like 3/4’s of the responders say “I like the more casual except for x,y, and z” meaning maybe we all don’t really like it that much 😂 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Warrior42111 said:

Do I care if you play music? No, unless it blasting and can be heard from 50 feet away, same goes when I'm playing it

Do I care what someone wears? No, unless it's shirtless and a dad bod like mine, no one wants to see it, trust me.

Do I care that you drink on the course? No, as long as you get home safe and don't damage the course.

Personally, I think 80% of golfers / people fall in this category, they can or can not do something as long as it is done in moderation and are fine. The other 20% think things should only be there way whichever side it is, music, clothes ect and everyone else is wrong.

Wait this sounds very familiar.......

I wish more people in this thread agreed with your comments.

I really don't care what someone wears, what music they're playing, or how much you're drinking. Be an enjoyable person to play with and keep a good pace...that's what's most important. Slow play and bad attitudes are the only things that annoy me.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8.25

Titleist TSi3 16.5

Titleist U500 3i

Taylormade P770 4i

Taylormade P7MC 5i-PW
Vokey SM9 52 58
Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Couldn’t care less about what people wear, what they look like, etc.  I care about the etiquette around playing the game (don’t walk into my sight line while I’m hitting, don’t decide to drive your cart up toward me while I’m playing a shot, etc.)  Basically, the stuff covered In Chapter 1 of the Rules of Golf.

I don’t like music out there if I can hear it.  If you keep the volume so you can only hear it when in your cart, fine.  Otherwise, “No more twisted sister.”

• Like 1

Count me among those who don't like music on the course.  We all have different tastes, and if you need music to enjoy the game, use ear-buds, as others have suggested (but beware the 'tinnitus' that might result from constant use of such).  As for untucked shirts, I didn't even know that was a thing, as I often wear mine untucked and have never been told about it (I'm 60).  I do think a dress-code is ok, as the way we dress can impact how we act, but I would relax it to allow t-shirts that are not typically considered underwear.  As a  society, I don't think we do ourselves any favors by adopting the lowest possible standard for anything, so 'relaxed' is ok to a point, but not to the point of anything goes. 

• Like 2

I think you will see both types of clubs, the traditional old school and the modern relaxed club.  Many People wear flip flops to work now, most don’t want to have to get dressed to go play golf.  Define respect for fellow members. No one is suggesting you run naked through the family dinning room.  The main thing is that everyone plays by the same rules, and the rules are clear.  If you don’t like the rules join a different club. options are nice, that’s all. 

16 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Opinion, not fact, the sport will die without the element of what you characterize as “a relaxed attitude."

It’s not that an untucked shirt, jeans, music or a few beers on a golf course is wrong or unjust.  No one is pointing fingers or being judgmental.  Some people have a preference to be in that element and some don’t.   I am one that does not.   

Some of our club’s events have a relaxed tone but as a rule of thumb we all follow the club’s guidelines and maintain respect for fellow members.   

You see, it's about respect for others, not just "the self." 

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

If i recall my history, I believe 300 years or so ago members of the upper class wore "fancy" clothes that were actually designed to be uncomfortable and lacking in mobility. The reason for this was that people would look at them and know that they were not manual laborers...they couldn't be because their clothes wouldn't allow it. The clothes existed to show others you were a wealthy person by making it impossible for you to do anything physical LOL

I believe these were the origins of things like the suit and tie. Clothes intended to show you don't dig ditches all day

Kind of silly if you think about it. And it does make you think...Many workplaces now are business casual, many golf clubs have relaxed their dress codes and etiquette a bit. I think for many years we did things without even knowing why we were doing them. I don't know a single person who works in an office and wishes their dress code was stricter

I'm totally fine with things being more casual. I don't care about tucked in shirts, i don't care about listening to music walking up a fairway if everyone in the group is OK with it. I'm OK with casual dress in the restaurant area. 

Just look half decent , play fast and be enjoyable. Those are my 3 asks of people

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

5 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

Problem is, one man's 'half decent' might be another man's 'half naked'.

Yeah i think with most things in life, rational people just have to come to some sort of agreement. There's a very large grey area between tank tops and sandals, and a knickers with a jacket and tie. I think most of the time in the real world having a convo with someone usually works. Like "hey man, you can't be naked here"

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 minute ago, MtlJeff said:

Yeah i think with most things in life, rational people just have to come to some sort of agreement. There's a very large grey area between tank tops and sandals, and a knickers with a jacket and tie. I think most of the time in the real world having a convo with someone usually works. Like "hey man, you can't be naked here"

There's always someone who wants to try to push boundaries, no matter what they are - that's for sure.  

16 hours ago, miamistomp said:

I listen so closely to music sometimes that it can be a distraction. When I'm driving long distances I have to listen to podcasts or news.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

11 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I 'm fine if you're playing non-annoying music at a non-annoying volume. I have some anti-music music if you're too loud:

Click me for anti-music music

I like that tune, but I get your point. People who like music seem to like their music. I think I would actually dig listening to Mozart when I play, but my preference is still the Simon and Garfunkel hit - the Sound of Silence.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

But is that not what has already happened? Courses and clubs have sorted out some sort of middle ground - called it their dress code and made it known to people who want to play. For the most part if you wore golf shorts or slacks, golf shoes, a collared golf shirt (tucked in) you could play at 99% of all golf courses.

Seems simple enough. The variation is really pretty minor over all in a big picture point of way - I mean we are basically arguing over wether a shirt can be tucked or untucked. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2bGood said:

But is that not what has already happened? Courses and clubs have sorted out some sort of middle ground - called it their dress code and made it known to people who want to play. For the most part if you wore golf shorts or slacks, golf shoes, a collared golf shirt (tucked in) you could play at 99% of all golf courses.

Seems simple enough. The variation is really pretty minor over all in a big picture point of way - I mean we are basically arguing over wether a shirt can be tucked or untucked. 

Yes, i would argue that is what has already happened at the majority of places, i agree. I'm just saying i have no issue with it

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 minute ago, dlygrisse said:

I think you will see both types of clubs, the traditional old school and the modern relaxed club.  Many People wear flip flops to work now, most don’t want to have to get dressed to go play golf.  Define respect for fellow members. No one is suggesting you run naked through the family dinning room.  The main thing is that everyone plays by the same rules, and the rules are clear.  If you don’t like the rules join a different club. options are nice, that’s all. 

I think you will see both types of clubs, the traditional old school and the modern relaxed club.  

Again, people will move toward their preference. 

Many People wear flip flops to work now, most don’t want to have to get dressed to go play golf.  

How many people?   What place of work allows flips flops for both men and women?  

Define respect for fellow members.

If the club has guidelines for no music and no jeans - it's expected that the members will not wear jeans and not play music.  I take issue with the people that know the rules and violate them for no other reason than to please themselves.    As in, "the rules don't apply to me."   That's insulting and disrespectful to the majority of the members at the club that belong to the club based on the expectations set forth by the rules and guidelines.

Case in point - when did it become acceptable for people to take their dogs into public places? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2