2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How do you feel about the modern, casual approach to golf?

me05501

Note:  This comment is in reference to traditional, private, $20k+ initiation based clubs, where members are there until they move or die.  Also, this is in Atlanta where the private club scene is very competitive. 

It is really not just the golf that has relaxed, it is the entire club atmosphere.  Golf is no longer the only thing members care about.  30 years ago clubs where where the men could golf during the week for business and on Saturday morning with their friends.  In 2020, joining a club is now a family decision where the kids and the spouse get the most out of their dollar.  My parents joined a club 30 years ago, where the golf pro hated kids, jackets were required to eat in the dining room, and about 3 women played golf.

I have now joined that same club where there is a thriving kids program, a women's 9 and 18 hole league, the dining room is gone in favor of the grill/bar, and we probably have more people/week in the tennis side than the golf side.  We just spent millions of dollars on a wellness center renovation.  Members demand more amenities then just golf, and this is not my POV, this is a private club industry POV.

All these changes are converting clubs into "communities".   A place to play golf, play tennis, work out, eat, and socialize for the entire family.  Of course every club, church, office, neighborhood is going to have traditionalists, and people who push the boundaries.    Old guys want pants and priority.  Young guys want fivesomes and music.

Dress code:  collars and tucked in, and I would say this is for almost any course.  If you can afford to play golf, you can afford to buy some shirts and shorts on sale at TJ Maxx.  Today's golf clothes are so comfortable they are better than cotton t-shirts.  If tucking in your shirt is uncomfortable, perhaps you are not a size 36 anymore.

Music:  This falls into the "just be respectful of others" category.  Play it so only your group can hear.  And if you 2 twosomes meeting up, come to an agreement yes or no or a specific volume.  Default should be no music or earbuds if no agreement.

Fivesomes:  If course allows it, and you keep pace, have at it. 

Drinking:  Do whatever you want as long as you can keep decorum and get home safely.

I am 46 and listen to music, drink beer and play fivesomes, but I am always cognizant of those around me.  I don't want to be "that guy" or us to be "that group".  As others have said, society is evolving and if the golf industry does not follow along, at least to some degree, the sport will lose in the end. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, david.c.w said:

Note:  This comment is in reference to traditional, private, $20k+ initiation based clubs, where members are there until they move or die.  Also, this is in Atlanta where the private club scene is very competitive. 

It is really not just the golf that has relaxed, it is the entire club atmosphere.  Golf is no longer the only thing members care about.  30 years ago clubs where where the men could golf during the week for business and on Saturday morning with their friends.  In 2020, joining a club is now a family decision where the kids and the spouse get the most out of their dollar.  My parents joined a club 30 years ago, where the golf pro hated kids, jackets were required to eat in the dining room, and about 3 women played golf.

I have now joined that same club where there is a thriving kids program, a women's 9 and 18 hole league, the dining room is gone in favor of the grill/bar, and we probably have more people/week in the tennis side than the golf side.  We just spent millions of dollars on a wellness center renovation.  Members demand more amenities then just golf, and this is not my POV, this is a private club industry POV.

All these changes are converting clubs into "communities".   A place to play golf, play tennis, work out, eat, and socialize for the entire family.  Of course every club, church, office, neighborhood is going to have traditionalists, and people who push the boundaries.    Old guys want pants and priority.  Young guys want fivesomes and music.

Dress code:  collars and tucked in, and I would say this is for almost any course.  If you can afford to play golf, you can afford to buy some shirts and shorts on sale at TJ Maxx.  Today's golf clothes are so comfortable they are better than cotton t-shirts.  If tucking in your shirt is uncomfortable, perhaps you are not a size 36 anymore.

Music:  This falls into the "just be respectful of others" category.  Play it so only your group can hear.  And if you 2 twosomes meeting up, come to an agreement yes or no or a specific volume.  Default should be no music or earbuds if no agreement.

Fivesomes:  If course allows it, and you keep pace, have at it. 

Drinking:  Do whatever you want as long as you can keep decorum and get home safely.

I am 46 and listen to music, drink beer and play fivesomes, but I am always cognizant of those around me.  I don't want to be "that guy" or us to be "that group".  As others have said, society is evolving and if the golf industry does not follow along, at least to some degree, the sport will lose in the end. 

So, where are you going with this? 

21 hours ago, Warrior42111 said:

Do I care if you play music? No, unless it blasting and can be heard from 50 feet away, same goes when I'm playing it

Do I care what someone wears? No, unless it's shirtless and a dad bod like mine, no one wants to see it, trust me.

Do I care that you drink on the course? No, as long as you get home safe and don't damage the course.

Personally, I think 80% of golfers / people fall in this category, they can or can not do something as long as it is done in moderation and are fine. The other 20% think things should only be there way whichever side it is, music, clothes ect and everyone else is wrong.

Wait this sounds very familiar.......

I would feel pretty confident betting any reasonable sum that it is more likely that 80% of golfers would object strongly to music that can be heard 49 feet or less away from them, and I can't imagine anyone on a course thinking it's okay to play music so that people 49 feet away or less could hear it.

The music example seems to contradict your suggestion that your examples are in moderation.

Having said that, not all private clubs are the same, not all public courses are the same.

And to the OP's point, there may be a more relaxed attitude in general, probably needs to be, but I've been on many munis (say that 12 times fast) over a few decades and in my experience they've all been pretty relaxed - we weren't dressing up to play muni golf in the 70s in my part of the world, but may have been different elsewhere.  But yes, coat and tie to church - hardly see it (in general), coat and ties by fans (!) to college football a thing of the past, but it was a thing.  Norms change, golf in some sense needs to change with it, but I think we overgeneralize too much with the "stuffy" stereotype, for example.  I've always found the game inclusive - but there will always be people that get in the way, that will never change.

• Like 1

From what I see, whether someone is casual or traditional, tucked or untucked, depends on how he/she sees themselves in the golf world, and what their golf goals are, if they have them.  Show up at a state amateur event at an upscale semi-private or private club and all players will be tucked and members will be properly dressed too.  Furthermore, being traditionally dressed does NOT necessary mean stuffy - that label is someone's bias showing though. 

At muni-courses in the west or mid-west, north or southeast remote "golf clubs" where they attract a more relaxed person, appearance has become more casual.  In my home 4-season state wearing jeans to play golf is common; that's NOT the case in CA or HI.  And that's NOT the case at nicer high-end golf and country clubs in or around cities. 

Don't kid yourself, dress codes still exist.  The extent to which they are enforced depends on the club's charter or owner(s).  When touring pros (except for J.Daley types) are at home playing with club buddies, they are NOT showing up at the club dressed like JOE muni, distinction still exists, and I am glad for it.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

19 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I would feel pretty confident betting any reasonable sum that it is more likely that 80% of golfers would object strongly to music that can be heard 49 feet or less away from them, and I can't imagine anyone on a course thinking it's okay to play music so that people 49 feet away or less could hear it.

The music example seems to contradict your suggestion that your examples are in moderation.

Having said that, not all private clubs are the same, not all public courses are the same.

And to the OP's point, there may be a more relaxed attitude in general, probably needs to be, but I've been on many munis (say that 12 times fast) over a few decades and in my experience they've all been pretty relaxed - we weren't dressing up to play muni golf in the 70s in my part of the world, but may have been different elsewhere.  But yes, coat and tie to church - hardly see it (in general), coat and ties by fans (!) to college football a thing of the past, but it was a thing.  Norms change, golf in some sense needs to change with it, but I think we overgeneralize too much with the "stuffy" stereotype, for example.  I've always found the game inclusive - but there will always be people that get in the way, that will never change.

the number was just as an example not exact, point being I can hear it from my cart but no one on another hole could, unless I double crossed and am on the adjacent one 😀

Loving the more relaxed style, sans some too casual dress code.

Music is fun to have and makes waiting a little more tolerable.

We play to have fun, for those who prefer the more traditional approach, stuffy CCs and tourney play is more likely up your alley.  Personally, I can't stand a 5-6 hour tournament round so I just play for fun and hanging with 'the boys'.

• Like 1

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

If the modern approach to golf is what Bryson Dechambeau is or demonstrates. I don't care for it, I do not think haveing clubs all the same length with $300 shafts in each iron and 12-14 degrees up right is a good look for amatuer golf.

I praise him for winning, I congratulate him for winning, but the long term effect for golf will be detrimental to the game. 

Just my opinion

• Confused 2

As I said earlier I don’t mind if people play music.  That said, I was a single today and was paired with two guys who were playing music quite loud.  The music didn’t bother me, but I admit that I was not happy about how it looked when we got around other groups who could hear it.  The music wasn’t the issue but I didn’t like the idea that people may have thought I was the one playing it.  I don’t think it is rude for others to play it around me but I do think it would be rude for me to play it loud enough that others might be bothered by it...in other news, it seems I’m 42 going on 102 and have become quite stuffy

• Like 2

IMO overall it's been a good thing but has had some negative impacts as well. The old phrase "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" comes to mind. Everyone's threshold of what is "too much" is different so it's going to depend on the people and the particular course/day. My Friday after-work league is way more casual and laid back than my weekend games with a little money on the line. So of course the pace of play Friday is a little slower but we all know it and deal with it.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 11:07 AM, me05501 said:

I'm almost 52 so during my golfing life I've noticed the evolution from stuffy etiquette-obsessed golf toward a more casual attitude from a lot of people. These days we see more street-inspired golf clothes, untucked shirts, on-course music, ready golf on every tee and basically a less uptight approach to behavior during a round. A lot of the old traditions seem to be fading fast. 

The horse is pretty much out of the barn on this so I'm not sure it makes any sense to resist it. We older guys are relying on the next generations to join clubs and support courses, otherwise there won't be any clubs and courses left as our generations age out of competitive play. 

Personally I embrace these relaxations of the stuffier side of things. Some of the most fun I've ever had on the course has been during casual rounds with good company. I'm lucky to live fairly close to Sweeten's Cove where having fun on the course is embraced and celebrated. That seems to be the way forward. No sense in looking back. 

Obviously most of us draw the line at disruptive behavior, damaging the course, or holding up play. I don't see much of that kind of behavior and I wouldn't be happy if I did. But it seems like the most important points of etiquette are still intact and people are choosing to have fun within their group and mostly leaving other groups be (so far at least). 

What's your point of view? 

I greatly prefer the casual look.  My priorities are about behavior (be polite and crank down the tunes) and reasonable speed (keep up and quit pretending all the slow play results in a better score).  Traditional golf attire is quite unathletic, and IMHO most guys past age 30 with a gut are not flattered by a collared golf shirt look.

6 hours ago, Ferguson said:

I think you will see both types of clubs, the traditional old school and the modern relaxed club.  

Again, people will move toward their preference. 

Many People wear flip flops to work now, most don’t want to have to get dressed to go play golf.  

How many people?   What place of work allows flips flops for both men and women?  

Define respect for fellow members.

If the club has guidelines for no music and no jeans - it's expected that the members will not wear jeans and not play music.  I take issue with the people that know the rules and violate them for no other reason than to please themselves.    As in, "the rules don't apply to me."   That's insulting and disrespectful to the majority of the members at the club that belong to the club based on the expectations set forth by the rules and guidelines.

Case in point - when did it become acceptable for people to take their dogs into public places? 

1 Agreed

2 Lots of IT tech type hipster places with dodge ball courts in the basement and slides between floors with Starbucks on tap.  
3.  Well sure if there are rules they should be enforced as I stated. 
4.  Good question, I used to work in the restaurant business.  First it was seeing eye dogs only, then service dogs, which seemed similar, but not all users were blind, now it’s emotional support animals.  I’ve caught people forging documentation too, can’t go to Home Depot without seeing at least 2 pets these days. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

51 minutes ago, ebk said:

Well, when casual Friday became a thing, I suggested we go to Formal Friday.

But only if we also did Toga Tuesday...

In 2018, I asked my department to dress business formal for one quarter. 

It was the most productive quarter of the year.  

I did it again in 2019.

Same results.

We all try our best to dress formal now at all times.  

It's made a difference. 

Formal defined: no ties.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Carl Spackler3 said:

To escape the music, jeans, drunks and tee shirts, join a private club. Munis exist to fill tee sheets, you get what you get

11 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Or just don't play the cheap publics. There are plenty of midpriced publics where you get the more serious golfers.

Totally inaccurate per my own experience. I've played all sorts of courses over the last year including one ranked in the top 100, and it seems like they're all working hard not to be seen as stuffy.

The higher-end clubs are leaning more toward making sure players and guests are made to feel welcome and comfortable instead of on edge. 

I'd call it more of a Ritz Carlton approach at those places. "Hey, you're our guest, you're paying a lot to be here, we want you to have a great experience." Twenty years ago it was much more "You're on our property, you need to show appropriate respect and you need to be on your best behavior." 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I wasn't talking about the course itself but the people who will generally play them. All things being equal, the cheaper course will generally get the less serious golfer because greens fees are more a concern for them. Obviously, if you're looking at a destination/bucket list type of course then you can get all kinds.

For the folks who want to avoid the "riff raff" on the publics, they should play earlier in the day. You will see a lot less of the things you don't care for teeing off at 8AM than at 1PM.

11 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Or just don't play the cheap publics. There are plenty of midpriced publics where you get the more serious golfers.

It depends on your definition of mid-priced and where you are. Ever been to Scottsdale, AZ? Bring bags full of $100 bills with you . . . 😎

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

I might listen to music if playing by myself. I have never played in a group with music, and I’d rather not. I don’t mind fivesomes

as long as they keep pace, and I’m not playing in one. I don’t really care what others wear, but I don’t wear jeans, and always wear a proper golf shirt tucked in. I’m a bit older, and have certain standards, but recognize that the standards for younger folks might be different than mine.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 2

Play quickly, respect the course, don't drag your feet on the greens, fill/ replace your divots, fix pitch marks on greens These are basic considerations I expect from all golfers.

And please, leave your music at home or on the range. Or wear earphones/buds if you cant go without, but I don't really need to hear your favorite band.

I've always felt that dress codes steered people to a certain amount of decorum and behavior. I'm not a CC kid, but I've been around the game most of my life. Some changes have been good, others not so much.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I can suffer a lot of things that have gone away from a decorum standpoint - doesn't mean I like it -  but I understand from a business perspective.  I can't abide by the lack of respect to the courses though.  The new-age, casual-golfer has no clue how to treat the golf course with respect.  Forget repairing pitch marks, that died 5 years go, now its divots on practice swings, climbing up the faces of bunkers, dragging feet on greens, and the one that riles me the most is driving the golf cart practically onto greens and tee boxes and tearing up turf stopping or turning it too abruptly.  I used to try and defend my club's course against such perpetrators, but I'm getting older and tired of the conflict.  It's all kind of sad though.  Golf courses deserve better then the level of treatment they get these days. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, miamistomp said:

We have had a lot of rain  and the clowns are riding the carts all over and rutting up the fairways

there was a time when it would be walking only but not anymore😪

What I often wonder is if they don’t know any better, or if they do and just don’t care.