Srixon z585 vs zx5

kiwihacker

I'm interested in buying the z585 irons but when I made enquiries with my local supplier they told me the new zx5 and zx7 series would be arriving in a couple of weeks and I should wait to try them. Just wondering if anyone has hit both and how the z585 compares to the new zx5. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 585's but now wondering if the new model is worth the wait. I'm impatient by nature and knowing I could be bagging the 585's this week vs waiting a few weeks is tempting.  I think I like the look of the 585 better. At least the cavity. The zx 5 and 7 cavities look like overcomplicated versions of the z785 which I think is a beautiful looking iron. 

Any thoughts appreciated.  

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

4 hours ago, pmang said:

Are there ZX5 demo’s out yet for comparison?

No they will be arriving in a few weeks. Bear in mind I'm down under in NZ. Thought they were already available in the NH, USA, UK etc. Maybe I'm jumping the gun and nobody has hit them yet except for a few YouTube pros. 

All comes down to preference, but I find the new ones to be pretty ugly and I can’t figure out why the Srixon heads are getting so busy looking. What’s the point? Lines everywhere. Is that the back of an iron or a road map? If someone put the 745 or 785 next to the new one, I would say it finishes last in looks. They’ll all perform about the same and the clean looks of the previous releases is better than the cluttered, sort of dated looks of the new ones. The 745 is iconic for its performance and looks, which still draw rave reviews. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

54 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

All comes down to preference, but I find the new ones to be pretty ugly and I can’t figure out why the Srixon heads are getting so busy looking. What’s the point? Lines everywhere. Is that the back of an iron or a road map? If someone put the 745 or 785 next to the new one, I would say it finishes last in looks. They’ll all perform about the same and the clean looks of the previous releases is better than the cluttered, sort of dated looks of the new ones. The 745 is iconic for its performance and looks, which still draw rave reviews. 

This...745 so iconic, look at the new TM irons.  That being said, I actually like the looks of the new 5 over the 585.  If it were me, I would look at all 4 releases starting at the 545 and pick which you think looks better in bag and at address.  Then combo and/or adjust lofts to fit your game. 

• Like 2

I tend to agree - the ZX models have a lot going on. I didn’t love the badging of the 585 either, so don’t mind the ZX5. The 7 series, however, I liked better in the 745, 765, and 785. 

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

14 hours ago, jt2gt said:

This...745 so iconic, look at the new TM irons.  That being said, I actually like the looks of the new 5 over the 585.  If it were me, I would look at all 4 releases starting at the 545 and pick which you think looks better in bag and at address.  Then combo and/or adjust lofts to fit your game. 

i agree the new Z5 is an improved look over the 585. That is one head I think did get less clunky from the 545 to now.

Maybe it’s just that they nailed the 745 in the first place. If I had to choose between the new 7 series or finding a mint set of used 745s or 785s, I would get the past models. 

Srixon makes great gear and not just the irons and utilities. The 585/785 drivers are fantastic.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

i agree the new Z5 is an improved look over the 585. That is one head I think did get less clunky from the 545 to now.

Maybe it’s just that they nailed the 745 in the first place. If I had to choose between the new 7 series or finding a mint set of used 745s or 785s, I would get the past models

Srixon makes great gear and not just the irons and utilities. The 585/785 drivers are fantastic.

You just made my Friday night/Saturday morning!!!

I do like my Chunky Monkey Z545. ha! Now for some graphite shafts I can actually load in the 745's...

• 1 month later...

Interesting re reading this thread. Everyone seemed to hate the look of the new ZX series on first sight but now they seem to be very popular with no complaints about the look. I'm just confused about whether to buy a full set of the 5's which was my original intention or mix the 5 & 7 series.

Still haven't had the chance to hit them or see them first hand but very keen to try both models as soon as I get the opportunity.  

1 minute ago, kiwihacker said:

Interesting re reading this thread. Everyone seemed to hate the look of the new ZX series on first sight but now they seem to be very popular with no complaints about the look. I'm just confused about whether to buy a full set of the 5's which was my original intention or mix the 5 & 7 series.

Still haven't had the chance to hit them or see them first hand but very keen to try both models as soon as I get the opportunity.  

Same boat here and I'm 95% plus I need the consistency of speed with the 5. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I really love the look the new ZX series and can imagine myself bagging them in 2021. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9* - Diamana GT 6S

Sim Ti 15* - Evenflow Riptide CB 70S
Ping G425 3 Hybrid - Tensei Orange S

Srixon ZX5/7 Accra TZI 105 S

Vokey 49F 

Vokey 54D - KBS

Vokey 60M - KBS

Scotty Phantom X9 

I think the ZX utility irons are beautiful. I play U85 3/4 and those things are money off the tee and into long par 5s. If the performance is the same on the new line with the added looks, sign me up

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

I’m excited about trying both the 5’s and the 7’s. 
Been absolutely striping my 765s, I could easily do a combo of the 5 and 7 irons. 

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

On 10/3/2020 at 11:24 PM, dmeeksDC said:

I think the 785 looks better than the ZX7.. but the ZX5 is a huge aesthetic upgrade over the 585. 

The 585 had a massive grass collecting void in the back of it. Hard pass. 

• Like 2

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

2 hours ago, ilikegolf said:

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I really love the look the new ZX series and can imagine myself bagging them in 2021. 

I do too. Everyone seemed to think the cavity looked a bit busy initially comparing the 785 with the ZX7 but now I think both the 5 and the 7 are among the most appealing looking of the new 2021 iron releases. 

I ordered a full set of the ZX7's. I care about what the ball does and how they look at address. Bag appeal is not at all a priority. 

I considered a combo ZX5 just in the 4 iron but the huge cavity visible at address put me off. 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

8 hours ago, bombs said:

I think the 785 looks better than the ZX7.. but the ZX5 is a huge aesthetic upgrade over the 585. 

The 585 had a massive grass collecting void in the back of it. Hard pass. 

Yeah, after seeing them more I agree the new 5 series looks better with the black ring gone and the cutout concealed. Doubtful it will perform any better. The 7 series is the one that looks busy — 745 looks so much more clean and attractive to me. 

Wait for the ZX5, better looking and why not get the most upgraded offering. Your spending the money, its really your decision  , and don't forget to order your sticks with tbe shaft that fits you the best 

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

6 minutes ago, puttingmatt said:

Wait for the ZX5, better looking and why not get the most upgraded offering. Your spending the money, its really your decision  , and don't forget to order your sticks with tbe shaft that fits you the best 

Was wondering which is more forgiving.  And IMHO, to me newer isnt always better...

Check this...not much commentary, but looking at the charts tells a bit of a story.  Zx7 vs Z785 not much different, may even give edge to 785 in this particular case.  Zx5 vs Z585 a bit different.  Anyone with more monitor experience care to comment. Would love to hear more on these tests.

http://coolclubsoz.com.au/blog/srixon-zx7-zx5-v-z785-z585

• Thanks 1

OP, I think if you like the 585 (which I would agree with, they look nice) I wouldn't hesitate to bag them instead of waiting a few months for something that will more than likely not offer any performance gains.  I do think the ZX lines look nice, although busy, but I just pulled the trigger on a barely used set of 785s myself.  I don't see there being any major gains to be had from the new line and even the 745s perform as good or better than anything to date, so it comes down to what you like.  If the 585s suit your eye grab them now while they can be had at a steal!  I am actually surprised at how closely the 585 and 785 resemble each other from address.  Srixon is just doing it right.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

34 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

OP, I think if you like the 585 (which I would agree with, they look nice) I wouldn't hesitate to bag them instead of waiting a few months for something that will more than likely not offer any performance gains.  I do think the ZX lines look nice, although busy, but I just pulled the trigger on a barely used set of 785s myself.  I don't see there being any major gains to be had from the new line and even the 745s perform as good or better than anything to date, so it comes down to what you like.  If the 585s suit your eye grab them now while they can be had at a steal!  I am actually surprised at how closely the 585 and 785 resemble each other from address.  Srixon is just doing it right.

My local supplier already has the ZX series in store. Unfortunately they are a couple of hours drive away and I just haven't had time to go see them. I can order online but want to go to the store and see them in person, do a shaft fitting etc before I pull the trigger. Was originally interested in the 5 series but now tempted to try a 5/7 combo set. 

I agree with this... I just put a brand new set of 585s in my bag for about $500... absolutely love them... I prefer the look of the 545/565/585 line but thats just me... think the x5 look busy... I toyed with waiting but am glad I didn't... I doubt there will be much difference in tech, feel, forgiveness... think one of the Rick Shiels wannabes said the x5s felt a lot clicker than previous offerings, but idk if thats accurate... only had a few rounds with my 585s but I'm very happy 

• Like 2

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

1 minute ago, TheFlyingWASP said:

I agree with this... I just put a brand new set of 585s in my bag for about $500... absolutely love them... I prefer the look of the 545/565/585 line but thats just me... think the x5 look busy... I toyed with waiting but am glad I didn't... I doubt there will be much difference in tech, feel, forgiveness... think one of the Rick Shiels wannabes said the x5s felt a lot clicker than previous offerings, but idk if thats accurate... only had a few rounds with my 585s but I'm very happy 

Yes and I plan on reshafting them with Fuji Pro shafts...

Never hit pxg’s so I have no idea about them but I did hit the jpx 921 hot metal & I like the feel of the 585s better... I love the 585 pairing w/ the modus shafts... they feel great... everyone judges feel different but I’m very pleased with the 585s... especially for $500

• Like 3

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

585's > JPX921 forged. I tested the mizunos two weeks ago and they could not beat out my 585s.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser