Forced long break from playing golf...how to cope?

1Mordrid1

I have not played golf since the middle of May due to a bone infection in my spine. I ended up having to have a laminectomy along with other treatments and my surgeon is saying no full swings until at least March. As someone who normally plays 2-3 times a week, not being able to play is really getting to me.. At this point I would be happy with the surgeon releasing me to do short game work. Right now I am not even allowed to putt on the putting green in my back yard. In my younger days I might have tried to do more than "allowed", but now I am listening to the surgeon because I don't want to mess up the back and make the return even longer.

Right now, I find myself not even wanting to watch golf on TV because it just reminds me of what I am missing out on. So for those of you who have had a "forced" extended break from golf, how did you cope.

Sorry to hear that.  Glad you will be compliant w/ doctor’s orders - he knows what’s best.  Due to work I went two years without touching a club - started up last month.  Your situation is different, and I’ve been there as well.  Try to stay positive.  Maybe do some visualization?  Hang in there and try not to get down.  And come back strong.

Wow, that sounds brutal.  How did you get an infection in your spine?  That sounds quite serious.  Hope you get better soon and back out there.  Don't know where you live but you'll be back out there in the spring.  That's good timing.  Be thankful you'll be back next spring.  Not everyone gets to come back after surgery or medical issues.  Listen to your doctor and I guess you can work on fitness and diet as best you can.  

12 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Wow, that sounds brutal.  How did you get an infection in your spine?  That sounds quite serious.  Hope you get better soon and back out there.  Don't know where you live but you'll be back out there in the spring.  That's good timing.  Be thankful you'll be back next spring.  Not everyone gets to come back after surgery or medical issues.  Listen to your doctor and I guess you can work on fitness and diet as best you can.  

They still do not know how I got it. Usually it stems from a traumatic injury, but I don't recall anything like that occurring around the time it started. I am lucky I finally found the right doctor and surgeon, because it was misdiagnosed and treated wrongly by several other doctors before I found one that knew what was going on.

I live in Phoenix so we have golf year round. I think right now everything is just compounded, because I have so many "limitations" during this first phase of recovery that it seems like I am not allowed do anything at all. The boredom is becoming overwhelming at the moment. But hopefully this month I will get to start physical therapy and maybe some of the other physical restrictions will be lifted.

Sorry to hear about that. Hope you’re recovering well. 

This year because of the lockdown clubs were shut down for over 5 months. I was forced to forget about golf. I too didn’t even want to watch golf on tv or the forum. But hang in there. Life of an amateur golfer is like that sometimes. Find yourself a substitute hobby. 

Just be happy you have a chance to play. What do you want us to do for you. Ride it out, start a new hobby, rehabilitate and enjoy life. Don’t want to be a downer but I know a good amount people who give up the game because they physically can’t play anymore either due to age or an injury. Be thankful your outlook is good. Heal up and you will be out there soon enough 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Hang in there, light at the end of the tunnel. I've been on a 5 year break. Very hard, not gonna lie.

My putting is outstanding at least, as that is really all I've done golf-wise. Still looking forward to next spring if I can't make it out this season again, which its looking more and more to be the case.

I have to sort out some physical things still; so maybe it was for the best anyway? 5 range sessions down, anyway, and it looked like I wouldn't suck too badly. Having fun retrofitting the bag with some softer/lighter shafts. I guess that will keep me busy. More putting... ha!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I know it is not the end of the world, and I know there are people in a lot worse shape than I am. So I am very thankful that the long-term outlook looks positive. My boredom level right now is just through the roof due to all of the other restrictions. My next hurdle is to be released to physical therapy. Then the therapist will make a determination after some therapy sessions as to how stable my spine is after the infection and surgery. If it is stable enough I will be slowly working my way back to the course, and if it is not stable enough, then I may be looking at having a fusion surgery.

Edited by 1Mordrid1

Good thing you aren't canadian.  6 month breaks every year.  The break is a great time to let the body heal.  Youll appreciate golf even more when you are able to play again.  You may be surprised how well you play.  Some of my best rounds have been first rounds back after winter.  Not sure if its because of a rested body or zero expectations.  Just make sure to not push it and get healthy before playing again.

Sorry to hear. I am a 2-3 time aweek player and had a injury this year and couldn't play for almost 3 months. Combined with the pandemic it took the little bit of fun I had left. 

I ended up getting an Xbox and playing pga tour 2k21. I had to relearn my swing and rhythm after the injury. 

This will be of very little help but...

I suffered an injury that required surgery and nearly a year off golf. 

It felt bad and in retrospect it was even worse than a realised at the time. I was pretty depressed and lost allot of fitness. Golf is a central part of my life, it is where I spend time with friends, a huge source of exercise (and a reason to exercise) and fun measurable goals to work on.  I was not proactive about replacing these things during my time off and my mistake was I found things to do, other hobbies to occupy me, but I never really replaced the 15hours a week of exercise and even worse the time spent with friends. 

It was only when I got back to playing, I realised how bad it was to be away from the game and the things I really value about golfing.

So my advice, for what it is worth, is give some deep thought to what you get out of golf that you love and make sure you replicate that as best as you can. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

I have been playing hockey for over 20 years and was totally obsessed with it when I was a little younger. One year, I broke two bones in my leg in the season opener, in a year when we were the clear favorite for the championship. It broke my heart, but I did what the doc said and came back fully healed and strong. Went on to win the cup and became the topscorer in the playoffs. Last year, I tore a ligament in my knee and had to take a break. It gets better with time and I realized, be smart and let your body heal, then there's exponentially more time left to play your favorite sport than the time you had to pause!

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

I had to layoff golf this year due to back and leg issue, had surgery today to correct for 2 herniated discs. Covid-19 made the journey to now challenging in every way, it required many appointments to get to this point. Very fortunate to work for a company that has always provided me ability to work remote with full support.

Do I miss golf? Sure do.

Initially I did what I always do and bst (locally) into the next pretty thing, albeit infrequently due to Covid.

Out of the blue I flipped the script, find the right 14 clubs and stay with them. That occupied a lot of free time and I did a TON of research and more bst (locally) than I have EVER done to finely tune the bag. I sense I am so close to MBIS!!!

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it was

Seriously I do miss playing - but I have had other near wash out seasons and life went along fine.

Always something else can fill that time and this year is no exception. As it happens I received a promotion at work (albeit bittersweet as my former boss and friend was downsized in this transition). Expanded role is a great challenge and I enjoy that. 

Covid-19 has also brought our family closer together for 4 of us at home as we continue to mostly stay there. Our youngest has chronic health issues so it is a no brainer decision for all of us, he started frosh h.s. remote and will likely finish it remote. Outside of work, groceries, gas and golf trades we stay home. And that is not a hardship at all. 

Our fifth family member, darling daughter, moved to Cali late Feb. she now returns calls and texts, lulz 😂  We have shared a lot of good family moments this year.

I have many reasons to be grateful in this year of 2020. Enduring 2020 overall doesn't require leaving the kodak moments behind, they can still be found.

And.. I'm now officially on the mend medically for golf in 2021. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

I wish good things for you OP.