Ping i210 - Hovland Style

karstens_ghost

• 2 weeks later...

So have contacted a few places and they all say GFY.  So it can't be done AFAIK.  I might still order a set minus the PW and go into their wedges.  Ping is no longer the cool WRX custom place they used to be, that is for sure.  They do stuff for the pros, but assume we are all idiots and can't order something that works for us... even if we have been using Ping irons and wedges for literally decades.  Whatever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gticlay said:

So have contacted a few places and they all say GFY.  So it can't be done AFAIK.  I might still order a set minus the PW and go into their wedges.  Ping is no longer the cool WRX custom place they used to be, that is for sure.  They do stuff for the pros, but assume we are all idiots and can't order something that works for us... even if we have been using Ping irons and wedges for literally decades.  Whatever.

I don't think ping would ever have done this level of modifications to a set of irons - imagine it would be at least a days work for one of their technicians, not to mention the extra CTP weights and stamping

In order for them to do and sell it to you, they would have to provide a full warranty and stand by the quality of the build etc, meaning they would have to do quality control on the stampings etc, make sure the raw finish isnt an issue.

Curious - how much would you have paid per club extra to have this done, along with agreeing to waive any warranty that came with the clubs? 

1 hour ago, gentles said:

I don't think ping would ever have done this level of modifications to a set of irons - imagine it would be at least a days work for one of their technicians, not to mention the extra CTP weights and stamping

In order for them to do and sell it to you, they would have to provide a full warranty and stand by the quality of the build etc, meaning they would have to do quality control on the stampings etc, make sure the raw finish isnt an issue.

Curious - how much would you have paid per club extra to have this done, along with agreeing to waive any warranty that came with the clubs? 

I bought them used, but have had a set if i3 blades with basically the same thing done.  In fact, the i200 is listed in their WRX manual as having the same thing available so until recently, this was a thing.  WRX has always been super cool. Not now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gentles said:

You don't have to do that.  Here's the Ping WRX options for i200 where you could have exactly that done. It's funny they will do all kinds of things to wedges, but if it has a 9 or 5 stamped on it... no.  If you want to see the full 2017 WRX manual, here's a link. http://pinggolf-blob.ping.com/pinggolf/uploadedfiles/clubs/customize/ping_custom_options.pdf

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 9.15.42 AM.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

So, despite them not wanting to WRX my irons how I would have liked them to, I went for a bit of a compromise.  Instead of the "retro lofts" that I wanted, I ordered them 1* weak with a Glide 3.0 46* bent to 47* (and a 54 bent to 53).  I've only hit them off mats so far, but loving them.  The head shape is awesome, they are a pretty low offset, except for the 3 iron (or they hide it well), and are a worthy replacement to my i3 blades.  Here's a few pictures that I posted in the WITB.

A.JPG

B.JPG

C.JPG

D.JPG

E.JPG

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 11:29 AM, toc said:

You weren't expecting the "you're not good enough" response?  You're new here aren't you?

In all seriousness:  Don't let those kind of people get you down, I wouldn't say this site is full of them but there are a few legends in their own minds that'll be prone to remind you of their status from time to time.  

It’s funny. I was actually thinking about this earlier today. I have noticed there are a few members here that have a pattern of replying to posts in a negative manner. They definitely convey that vibe that they think they’re the smartest guy(s) in the room. Also interesting to note, I noticed they NEVER start threads. Pretty cowardly to never put yourself out there and to be so judgmental of those that do. It’s the same kinda BS that made kids scared to raise their hands in middle school. Difference is these guys are probably in their 50s. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Don’t let it get you down and hang in there. I did! 

btw OP. Thanks for the link. I like Hovland a lot and would have never known he did this without it 👏🏼 

Edited by TIScape
  • Like 4

Glad to see you went with these.

While these clubs come with more bounce, I was wondering if the amount of bounce has any substantial impact if you have a lot of lag in your swing? It is my understanding that with a lot of forward shaft lean you are negating the bounce on the iron.

I am awaiting delivery of the i210 myself.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for posting the article as I had missed it.

I'm in the exact same boat as Mr. Hovland as I'm a picker with a shallow swing. While I hit the ball high, I would certainly benefit from additional spin and a bit steeper landing angle. Also, from a turf interaction perspective I most likely chose sub-optimal irons in Srixon ZX5's. The V sole is great for getting out of the turf quickly, but not ideal for helping me get into the turf in an effective manner. I had never considered sole design and learned something new from the article.

Thanks again for posting. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I took two sets of my Ping i210's to Bo Hodnett in Plano, TX. His trusty assistant, Noah Hasse, did the grinds for me. In the firm Texas turf, I really needed trailing edge relief. There was a noticeable "ridge" on the sole of the 210's that created too much bounce for me. I have been nothing but happy with the results. I keep the sole clean with a scotchbrite pad, no issues. 

I have Vista Pro's in one set and Recoils in the other. The Vista Pro set had a bit  more aggressive grind. Noah did the first set as an experiment (Recoils), more conservative grind. 

I'm an 8 handicap and 72 years old and love golf. You? 

ping1.jpg

ping2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have played mine 40 rounds now.  They hit very high and pretty straight for me.  I cannot possibly get the high launch down - I have a pretty good punch shot with my i3 blades but not with these.  They are nice, but I can't imagine liking them if I played Bandon or another links course often.  To be honest, I don't think they will stay in the bag but I can't really afford to change irons right now.  Maybe sometime over the next 5-6 months.

Also, they seem to have addressed the incredibly high launch with the new i59s.  Everything they tweaked are the things I don't really like about the i210s.

26 minutes ago, gticlay said:

Have played mine 40 rounds now.  They hit very high and pretty straight for me.  I cannot possibly get the high launch down - I have a pretty good punch shot with my i3 blades but not with these.  They are nice, but I can't imagine liking them if I played Bandon or another links course often.  To be honest, I don't think they will stay in the bag but I can't really afford to change irons right now.  Maybe sometime over the next 5-6 months.

Also, they seem to have addressed the incredibly high launch with the new i59s.  Everything they tweaked are the things I don't really like about the i210s.

The i210s shouldn't be launching that high.

What shaft do you have in them ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

30 minutes ago, gticlay said:

KBS Tour 130 X +0.5" length

Certainly stout enough. I'd normally expect those to launch lower than "average".

KBS Tours are parallel tips. Aren't most (all ?) Ping irons taper tip ? Possibly altering parallel tips to fit taper tip irons (something I seem to recall as "not recommended") is an/the issue ?

KBS claims mid-launch but adds the disclaimer "Trimming CAN change how the shaft will play".

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

32 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Certainly stout enough. I'd normally expect those to launch lower than "average".

KBS Tours are parallel tips. Aren't most (all ?) Ping irons taper tip ? Possibly altering parallel tips to fit taper tip irons (something I seem to recall as "not recommended") is an/the issue ?

KBS claims mid-launch but adds the disclaimer "Trimming CAN change how the shaft will play".

No, KBS Tour 130 X tend to launch pretty high - they are Ping installed taper tips and have not been hard or soft stepped.

19 hours ago, nsxguy said:

KBS Tours are parallel tips

There are two versions of KBS Tours, tapered and parallel.  The tapered model was first to market.

Having played KBS Tour 130 in a set of irons, they do hit higher, and do produce more spin than something like DG.  Or so they did for me.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I've got a set with PX 6.0, I found they launched super high for me as well.  Not quite to Modus 130, but shots were definitely getting up.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I just wanted to add that I bought their 46* (bent to 47*), and 54* (bent to 53*) wedges and I have no problems hitting those high, or low spinny burners, etc.  They are very workable for me.  It's just the i210's that I can't seem to do anything with.  It's probably better for me in the long run, but when it gets windy, it's frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 10:19 PM, karstens_ghost said:

Well, one thing I wasn't expecting was people here saying there was "no need to even attempt that".

Outside of the custom stamp, you can order a grind from Ping. I figured it would be well-known by now you could get this.

I wasn't asking about "Viktor's very specific problem". All I wanted to know was whether anyone had tried an i210 with a much lower bounce. I'm not a tour pro, but I am a sweeper. I hit my Blueprints fine, but they are obviously nowhere near as wide.

If no one's done it, that's fine. I just did not expect essentially the 'you're not good enough' responses. I'll keep to myself. 

well obviously i think it is a pain to go out and get this done  but  if you think it is needed then you could probably  do better by just buying the things to do the grinds because finding someone to do the grinds is  already hard and then getting them to do it is a whole another thing. Maybe even find a buddy with a grinding belt it cant be that hard to do yourself.

On 9/15/2021 at 1:15 AM, gticlay said:

I just wanted to add that I bought their 46* (bent to 47*), and 54* (bent to 53*) wedges and I have no problems hitting those high, or low spinny burners, etc.  They are very workable for me.  It's just the i210's that I can't seem to do anything with.  It's probably better for me in the long run, but when it gets windy, it's frustrating.

Daily 15+ out in okieland - just put a 210 in the bag. I can see your concerns. Right now its a lower bullet draw or nothing, to fight that wind. Especially tight lies....I actually have a 50* Glide 3.0 with bounce & back grind - it definitely sits down .....if I remember reading Ping offers wrx bounce & back on the i210 no?

37 minutes ago, Tycall said:

well obviously i think it is a pain to go out and get this done  but  if you think it is needed then you could probably  do better by just buying the things to do the grinds because finding someone to do the grinds is  already hard and then getting them to do it is a whole another thing. Maybe even find a buddy with a grinding belt it cant be that hard to do yourself.

The hard part is removing the right degree of bounce- at the right places in a linear fashion. So Hov's have 4* of bounce removed - if I could get my hands on a Hov to go by....yeah probably not that difficult,  if you have wedge grind experience or as mentioned a WRX head 

We are eyeballing off the internet though & I'd hate to remove too much of anything wrongly

Edited by animalgolfs

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

19 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

Daily 15+ out in okieland - just put a 210 in the bag. I can see your concerns. Right now its a lower bullet draw or nothing, to fight that wind. Especially tight lies....I actually have a 50* Glide 3.0 with bounce & back grind - it definitely sits down .....if I remember reading Ping offers wrx bounce & back on the i210 no?

No, they won't do a grind on them.  i200 yes, i210 - a strong NO.

• Like 1

If for nothing else, they sure looked classic with nothing on the bottom, and the stamp in the toe nub.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a set of Eye2, i3 & i5 iron sets from Ping UK all with the WRX grind on them.

Was actually thinking about seeing if it was available on my existing i210 irons (happy to pay them for it) for both bounce purposes & also some Swingweight reductions from the d5 they currently are sat at 3-Pw (0.5 longer). Lots off stuff that you used to be able to get as an option from Ping (even more so if you have to go through Ping UK) seem to be no longer available. Shame. I even got a response from Ping UK that said words to the effect of  ‘we are a mass producer of golf clubs & can’t g/tee to hit any requested swingweights’ when I complained about my i200 irons that were sent to me at d8 on a half inch over std build. 
I absolutely love their irons- always have, so I have put up with a lot of the difficulties, but they seem to be trying to do their best to beat that love out of me in the last 5 years or so. Shame. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2021 at 1:30 AM, Redpro said:

I took two sets of my Ping i210's to Bo Hodnett in Plano, TX. His trusty assistant, Noah Hasse, did the grinds for me. In the firm Texas turf, I really needed trailing edge relief. There was a noticeable "ridge" on the sole of the 210's that created too much bounce for me. I have been nothing but happy with the results. I keep the sole clean with a scotchbrite pad, no issues. 

I have Vista Pro's in one set and Recoils in the other. The Vista Pro set had a bit  more aggressive grind. Noah did the first set as an experiment (Recoils), more conservative grind. 

I'm an 8 handicap and 72 years old and love golf. You? 

ping1.jpg

ping2.jpg

Over time did the soles rust after the grinding was done?

• Like 1

No idea, but it would be interesting to compare the 210 that he played to the characteristics of the 230s in power spec. I imagine they're pretty close.

I haven't seen a grind oxidise too much, because it's in contact with the ground, but I don't think he played that specific set long enough to get that answer.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

37 minutes ago, karstens_ghost said:

No idea, but it would be interesting to compare the 210 that he played to the characteristics of the 230s in power spec. I imagine they're pretty close.

I haven't seen a grind oxidise too much, because it's in contact with the ground, but I don't think he played that specific set long enough to get that answer.

I’m looking to do something similar with a set of i210’s I have. I have a lie/loft machine and have already bent them to power spec. My strike with the ground is still towards the trailing edge and play on bermuda, so it makes sense to me to take a bit off the trailing edge. 

• Like 1