An English Golf Trip

At some time in the next couple of years, personal circumstances permitting, I hope to spend a month in England and Wales playing golf. I have already played most of my favorite North of England courses (ie north of the line from Brancaster to Birmingham)  so this will be a southern half trip. It starts in London, goes south to Kent and the channel, runs west all the way to Cornwall then up into Wales and back through the Cotswolds.

Arriving in London, this will be my itinerary going clockwise from Heathrow and staying at B&Bs along the way.

Week 1 - Reigate 9h, The Addington, Royal Cinque Ports, Rye, Royal Ashdown Forest, Pulborough,

Week 2 - Stoneham, Ferndown, Isle of Purbeck, Perranporth, St Enodoc, Saunton East,

Week 3 - Westward Ho!, Southerndown, Pennard, Aberdovey, Royal St David's, Kington,

Week 4 - Painswick, Minchinhampton, The Berkshire Red and Blue , Worplesdon, St Georges Hill.

That will be six courses a week allowing a lay day here and there to recover or just enjoy the countryside. The idea would be to stay a couple of nights in each location (underlined). You will note that I have put in a few lesser known courses which appeal to me and lower the cost a tad. I have left out Royal St Georges & Royal Porthcawl (just because) and I have already played courses like Sunningdale, Swinley Forest and Walton Heath.

The itinerary is by no means definitive, so I would be interested in any suggestions for a better schedule? I know its a heavy schedule but I like it that way.

Looks like a great trip.  This might sound like a stupid question, but do you not get burnt out playing that much golf?  Broadstone and Parkstone in Bournemouth are worth a shout.  Trevose near St. Enodoc looks really good too.  

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

1. Play Sandwich. 

2. Consider dropping Addington if the planned renovation isn't completed. 

3. Purbeck is rumoured to be struggling with course conditions. 

4. You might enjoy Bude and North Cornwall. 

5. If all works well, you are welcome to play Burnham as my guest. 

6. I would find a way to add Cleeve Hill when in the Cotswolds. 

7. Consider playing Woking. 

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 1

week one

ive only played cinque ports, it’s exceptional. Going off word of mouth etc, the rest should be very, very good. RSG was my British favourite for a long time, but if we can’t persuade you.. any problems with availability I’d suggest Hindhead.

week two

stoneham didn’t blow me away but I know they’ve done some work in which case it’s a uk top 250 (anything solidly inside the 250 is a very nice course imo). Love the vibe at Ferndown. IoP.. not yet played, everyone says the same thing, great layout and views but the sea salt doesn’t help the condition. Northants (Justin Roses club) is a top notch alternative in that direction. Since you’re going past it, have a look at Teignmouth, a McKenzie original, great views.

perranporth.. mmm. I’d skip it if conditions are firm or it’s bad weather. it’s very, very steep like playing on a skateboard park. I enjoyed it but would only go back in softer conditions. Top 400, which is still fine. Enodoc and Saunton East both top 100 no question. Trevose is spectacular and quite gentle if you get the time shame to miss it. Consider Newquay as a cheap fill in, it was actually better condition than Trevose or Enodoc when we were there it’s now seriously under rated, a hidden gem.

week 3

westward Ho is likely to be the biggest let down I can see. I go with  a large group 20 plus, no one enjoyed it. Outdated. I’d play Saunton West instead just as good as the east imo.

Royal st David’s is Harlech? Brutal! A partner took 18 balls out and ran out.. 

week 4 

pricey lol. Don’t know how much budget comes into it. Love Worples, I’ll admit there are at least 20 others in the area damn near as good or better. If the moneys run out look at Sandmartins or Guildford! 

I havent played or don’t know much about the rest let us know how it goes..

12 hours ago, milesgiles said:

week one

ive only played cinque ports, it’s exceptional. Going off word of mouth etc, the rest should be very, very good. RSG was my British favourite for a long time, but if we can’t persuade you.. any problems with availability I’d suggest Hindhead.

week two

stoneham didn’t blow me away but I know they’ve done some work in which case it’s a uk top 250 (anything solidly inside the 250 is a very nice course imo). Love the vibe at Ferndown. IoP.. not yet played, everyone says the same thing, great layout and views but the sea salt doesn’t help the condition. Northants (Justin Roses club) is a top notch alternative in that direction. Since you’re going past it, have a look at Teignmouth, a McKenzie original, great views.

perranporth.. mmm. I’d skip it if conditions are firm or it’s bad weather. it’s very, very steep like playing on a skateboard park. I enjoyed it but would only go back in softer conditions. Top 400, which is still fine. Enodoc and Saunton East both top 100 no question. Trevose is spectacular and quite gentle if you get the time shame to miss it. Consider Newquay as a cheap fill in, it was actually better condition than Trevose or Enodoc when we were there it’s now seriously under rated, a hidden gem.

week 3

westward Ho is likely to be the biggest let down I can see. I go with  a large group 20 plus, no one enjoyed it. Outdated. I’d play Saunton West instead just as good as the east imo.

week 4 

pricey lol. Don’t know how much budget comes into it. Love Worples, I’ll admit there are at least 20 others in the area damn near as good or better. If the moneys run out look at Sandmartins or Guildford! 

Only person I've ever heard have a top 250. 

1. Thanks for those suggestions, AJ. I played 21 rounds of golf in 21 days in Ireland a year or two ago, so this will be a little easier with a rest day every week.

If I get a bit tired I can always skip a day or take a cart although I much prefer walking.

2. Thanks also to EG for the heads up on conditions and

kind invite to Burnham which I enjoyed about 10 year ago.  RSG is $$$$$ it will clean me out of cash.

3. MG very thoughtful, thanks. Perranporth is a floater so Newquay might be a good sub. Heard so much about WHo! that I could not drive past.

Anyway we have to get out of our lockdown here which could be months! I reckon 2022.

2 hours ago, Jedaigeki said:

Only person I've ever heard have a top 250. 

I was going to add an explanation but since you’ve asked..

uk has 2200 ish courses. From years of experience on large holiday golf tours, courses outside the top 400 have at least one serious drawback (maybe more). They’re only to be played to ‘fill in’.  

Inside the top 250-400, if you’re in a decent sized group you’ll probably hear a grumble or two, but overall not many will regret playing it.

100-250, these are really the course you are looking for on tour. Not too expensive, hidden gems if you like. If you’re playing a week of golf you’d hope to find at least one that the whole group agrees they would go back to in a heartbeat. (That was Newquay for us last year, Hartlepool, Prestatyn, Powfoot have won it before, just to give you a frame of reference)

0-100.. most of these are colossally expensive or completely inaccessible. Almost all are ‘name’ courses, there isn’t really much to debate, the order is mostly personal preference. If you can justify playing 5 in a week, go at it! I’d think most people on the travel section of this forum would know of those courses by reputation anyway. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

1. Thanks for those suggestions, AJ. I played 21 rounds of golf in 21 days in Ireland a year or two ago, so this will be a little easier with a rest day every week.

If I get a bit tired I can always skip a day or take a cart although I much prefer walking.

2. Thanks also to EG for the heads up on conditions and

kind invite to Burnham which I enjoyed about 10 year ago.  RSG is $$$$$ it will clean me out of cash.

3. MG very thoughtful, thanks. Perranporth is a floater so Newquay might be a good sub. Heard so much about WHo! that I could not drive past.

Anyway we have to get out of our lockdown here which could be months! I reckon 2022.

My pleasure, what exactly have you heard about Westward Ho? I know a couple of members there so had to bite my tongue when I was there lol

I guess being the oldest golf course in England (1864) is a good start for Westward Ho!  And apart from its romantic history,  it is also supposed to be very quirky and odd, but for me that is one of the attractions of golf in the UK generally. Remember I am coming 10,000 miles from Australia. Plus I read this

To anyone with a bias towards the Royal & Ancient game, the temptation to trace holes between reedbeds and topsy-turvy dunes is impossible to resist, especially with an appetite whetted by talk of historic tales of golf on the headland.

Your idea of 'north' barely covers midland of England, let alone the north of England, let alone UK!

Don't play Purbeck. Views and layout great but condition is awful. So many you could play but worth lookng at include West Sussex (Pulborough), Hayling Island, Liphook, Burnham & Berrow, Berkshires, Sunningdale, Swinley Forest...... So many to choose from. England very densely populated with great courses. I have lived nearly my entire life in this area and there are so many you can choose from. A good starting point is https://www.top100golfcourses.com/  and look under UK/England at Kent, Surrey, Berkshire, Sussex, Hampshire, Dorset, Devon, Somerset - compared to the USA (I did live in Texas for a while) the distances are manageable. Arguably this area as good an anywhere, particularly Surrey and Berkshire. 

40 minutes ago, Chip Out Sideways said:

Your idea of 'north' barely covers midland of England, let alone the north of England, let alone UK!

Don't play Purbeck. Views and layout great but condition is awful. So many you could play but worth lookng at include West Sussex (Pulborough), Hayling Island, Liphook, Burnham & Berrow, Berkshires, Sunningdale, Swinley Forest...... So many to choose from. England very densely populated with great courses. I have lived nearly my entire life in this area and there are so many you can choose from. A good starting point is https://www.top100golfcourses.com/  and look under UK/England at Kent, Surrey, Berkshire, Sussex, Hampshire, Dorset, Devon, Somerset - compared to the USA (I did live in Texas for a while) the distances are manageable. Arguably this area as good an anywhere, particularly Surrey and Berkshire. 

You may have missed it but Pulborough and The Berkshire are on my list. And I did mention that I have played Swinley, Sunningdale, and Walton Heath so I am not unfamiliar with the area. This is intentionally a southish trip with Wales added in. And yes Purbeck sounds like one to miss so I might add in something like Came Down in Dorset or even Lyme Regis. So many solid courses in England.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:56 PM, milesgiles said:

week one

week two

week 3

week 4 

MG

Perranporth and RND are two highly characterful courses, though they are very different to each other. It's seems to me a guy coming all the way from OZ may want to play courses such as this. OK, Perranporth is a bit wild, but there are few wild courses on the itinerary...Painswick and Pennard being the only others I notice.

Chance 

Yelverton is another cool course of a bygone era which may be of interest. Leckford Old is also very good. A little Colt 9 holer which is rare in that the original green sizes are essentially intact. The course offers insight into how good Colt was and that so many of his courses have been dumbed down. 

I would second the earlier shout for Parkstone in Dorset, wonderful and interesting heathland course on the coast. 

Having grown up as a junior at Burnham and Berrow I can't recommend it enough however if playing there it is worth using another day to play Taunton & Pickeridge.

As you plan to play Painswick and Minchinhampton I would say play Cleeve Hill also however sadly I think you will miss the chance to play it as it is shutting next spring. The others are a must play however. 

I would add Liphook to your list rather than Stoneham if you only have plans to play one course in that area. 

If you are going to play Saunton East you might as well play Saunton West also, there's very little to choose between them as to which is the better course. 

53 minutes ago, Jedaigeki said:

I would second the earlier shout for Parkstone in Dorset, wonderful and interesting heathland course on the coast. 

Having grown up as a junior at Burnham and Berrow I can't recommend it enough however if playing there it is worth using another day to play Taunton & Pickeridge.

As you plan to play Painswick and Minchinhampton I would say play Cleeve Hill also however sadly I think you will miss the chance to play it as it is shutting next spring. The others are a must play however. 

I would add Liphook to your list rather than Stoneham if you only have plans to play one course in that area. 

If you are going to play Saunton East you might as well play Saunton West also, there's very little to choose between them as to which is the better course. 

Jed

I am hopeful a new tenant will take over the golf lease at Cleeve Hill. There are several parties interested. Time will tell! 

Have you played the reconfigured Liphook? 

Edited by El Gringo

42 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

Jed

I am hopeful a new tenant will take over the golf lease at Cleeve Hill. There are several parties interested. Time will tell! 

Have you played the reconfigured Liphook? 

I hope so also, I signed a petition a friend sent me last week to try and keep the course open. 

I haven't played the reconfigured Liphook, it's on the list to take the wife too. 

4 hours ago, Jedaigeki said:

I hope so also, I signed a petition a friend sent me last week to try and keep the course open. 

I haven't played the reconfigured Liphook, it's on the list to take the wife too. 

The new Liphook is improved. The flow of the design is better and the crazy road crossing is eliminated. 

Agree that Bournemouth area is excellent, including the relatively new Remedy Oak. I did like Taunton & Pickeridge a lot. RND is a marmite course (I didn't like on 2 visits) but Perranporth I did enjoy. If in Somerset Weston Super Mare is a fun course. If in Devon, East Devon definitely worth a visit, as is Thurlestone (which is quite a trek to get to). St Mellion is always 'fun'. I could go on and on but if you go to Cornwall you must go to St Enodoc. If in Hampshire add Blcakmoor to those already listed.

23 hours ago, Chanceman said:

I guess being the oldest golf course in England (1864) is a good start for Westward Ho!  And apart from its romantic history,  it is also supposed to be very quirky and odd, but for me that is one of the attractions of golf in the UK generally. Remember I am coming 10,000 miles from Australia. Plus I read this

To anyone with a bias towards the Royal & Ancient game, the temptation to trace holes between reedbeds and topsy-turvy dunes is impossible to resist, especially with an appetite whetted by talk of historic tales of golf on the headland.

I feel RND almost needs it’s own thread lol. I won’t barrel on about it as you have quite enough to think about as it is. The main reason to play it is indeed that’s it’s the oldest in England with a continuous history. Other than that I seriously wouldn’t have it in my top 400. Almost all of it is extremely flat and featureless 

10 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

I feel RND almost needs it’s own thread lol. I won’t barrel on about it as you have quite enough to think about as it is. The main reason to play it is indeed that’s it’s the oldest in England with a continuous history. Other than that I seriously wouldn’t have it in my top 400. Almost all of it is extremely flat and featureless 

Dame Edna once had a show titled "Well at least you can say you've seen it."

I guess that's how I feel about WHo. It was in Dickinson's Round of Golf Courses and may well be in the "educational" category as per "No golfer's education is complete....".

• Haha 1

If going to Workplesdone, I would consider playing the entire Surrey 3 W's, so Woking and West Hill as well. All three extremely nice courses, all about the golf. Played the Berkshire both but in horrible weather so not the best of memories to that trip. 

If I'm correct St Georges Hill is a private course. I would get picked up from Heathrow weekly by a driver who was a member there. Did my best to drop enough hints to get an invite until it got embarrassing did not end up playing it unfortunately. 

Will be a great trip!

8 minutes ago, Jimi Thing said:

If going to Workplesdone, I would consider playing the entire Surrey 3 W's, so Woking and West Hill as well. All three extremely nice courses, all about the golf. Played the Berkshire both but in horrible weather so not the best of memories to that trip. 

If I'm correct St Georges Hill is a private course. I would get picked up from Heathrow weekly by a driver who was a member there. Did my best to drop enough hints to get an invite until it got embarrassing did not end up playing it unfortunately. 

Will be a great trip!

The Three W's are on the radar and I have played Woking so playing the Worp was always next. I will leave West Hill until another time, if there is one!

As for SGH hopefully you will play it one day! Its pricey but accessible and has always been on my radar.

Anyone reading this blog can see how hard it is to cut down a list of courses to even 24. I think apart from my original list we have another 25 or 30. Oh well that's 2023 sorted .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, milesgiles said:

I am astonished you think so little of RND. Not top 400 GB&I? The front nine is one of the best in England. 3 thru 10 is a great run. Where else do you find a hole like the 6th? 13 thru 16 is also a good run. RND isn't one of my absolute favourites, but it's a good course. 

Edited by El Gringo

6 hours ago, El Gringo said:

I am astonished you think so little of RND. Not top 400 GB&I? The front nine is one of the best in England. 3 thru 10 is a great run. Where else do you find a hole like the 6th? 13 thru 16 is also a good run. RND isn't one of my absolute favourites, but it's a good course. 

We played it the same week as Saunton, 4 summers ago. It compared poorly, very dry and bare while Saunton was firm but green. Quite possibly I caught it in a bad year and it’s maintenance is now improved. I played Newquay about 15 years ago and didn’t think much of it, went back last summer and it’s hugely better, new greenkeeper or whatever. 

Even looking past the condition at RND however, there’s very few holes I could remember on it. As I wrote before, the tees are barely elevated at all which doesn’t really work on flat terrain, which is a lot of the course. I don’t really care for reed beds lining a hole either. 

Without looking it up im sure it’s relatively expensive as well, if it was mid priced I’d say yes, play it for the experience if it’s in good condition 

21 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

We played it the same week as Saunton, 4 summers ago. It compared poorly, very dry and bare while Saunton was firm but green. Quite possibly I caught it in a bad year and it’s maintenance is now improved. I played Newquay about 15 years ago and didn’t think much of it, went back last summer and it’s hugely better, new greenkeeper or whatever. 

Even looking past the condition at RND however, there’s very few holes I could remember on it. As I wrote before, the tees are barely elevated at all which doesn’t really work on flat terrain, which is a lot of the course. I don’t really care for reed beds lining a hole either. 

Without looking it up im sure it’s relatively expensive as well, if it was mid priced I’d say yes, play it for the experience if it’s in good condition 

I guess I don't place much importance on conditions unless I know the course well or its quite expensive. RND was in good nick when I last played the course in 2018. To each is own I guess, but I do think RND has many good holes. My appreciation for the design has grown over the years. 

8 hours ago, Chanceman said:

It looks like that whole Atlantic coast is a fabulous golf area:

Perranporth

Newquay

Bude and Cornwall

St Enodoc

Trevose

Saunton West and East

RND

Burnham and Berrow

Weston Super Mare

Easily spend two weeks holiday there. Anyone care to rate them 1-10?

Ive played all apart from WSM, and I’ve heard good things about west cornwall. Minehead is nice and gentle and very cheap. Anyhow..

1. Trevose

2.both Sauntons

3. BaB

4. St Enodoc

5. Perranporth (if not too firm)

6. Newquay

7. Bude

8. RND

Newquay and Bude are both much cheaper than the rest and Perranporth isn’t expensive. That said as you’re going to Surrey and Kent I haven’t factored value for money in too much..

9 hours ago, Chanceman said:

It looks like that whole Atlantic coast is a fabulous golf area:

Perranporth

Newquay

Bude and Cornwall

St Enodoc

Trevose

Saunton West and East

RND

Burnham and Berrow

Weston Super Mare

Easily spend two weeks holiday there. Anyone care to rate them 1-10?

I think myself and Miles view courses very differently 😎

Favourites 

1. St Enodoc

2. Perranporth 

3. Westward Ho! 

4. West Cornwall

5. Saunton East 

6. Bude 

7. Burnham 

8. Trevose 

9. Saunton West 

10. Weston super Mare

Best 

1. St Enodoc 

2. Burnham 

3. Saunton East 

4. Perranporth 

5. Westward Ho! 

6. Saunton West 

7. Trevose

8. West Cornwall 

9. Bude 

10. Weston 

Never played Newquay. 

^ as I said, I visited them with a large group of 20 plus and their consensus is probably a better guide than either of us, since they cover all ages and handicaps.

their list would be ( I think)

1. Trevose

2. Saunton (either)

3. St Enodoc

4. Newquay

5. BaB

6. Bude

7. RND

8. Perranporth 

*trevose was a little scruffy last year but the setup and location is first class. Scores were much better than at Enodoc which is a tough test for longer handicaps.

** i enjoyed Perranporth a lot more than they did. They’ve played it twice on tour, conditions against us both times. On the right day, however..