Only "Classic" Golfing? An assessment of my playing and what next?

1 hour ago, Gsea said:

Just brought these in to buff up and re-do the paint fill. Ur favorite 65s Cold 🙂

41D94AD5-0B26-4077-B4F5-9A2D9D5E79D1.jpeg

Love it!  The ratty set in my vinegar bucket isn't going to make it to the collection sadly.  A little too rough for my standards. I do already have 2 really nice sets of '65s so I can't complain.  Woulda been nice to have a somewhat beater set to takeout on the frozen Chicago courses this winter.

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

1 hour ago, Gsea said:

Just brought these in to buff up and re-do the paint fill. Ur favorite 65s Cold 🙂

Love it!  The ratty set in my vinegar bucket isn't going to make it to the collection sadly.  A little too rough for my standards. I do already have 2 really nice sets of '65s so I can't complain.  Woulda been nice to have a somewhat beater set to takeout on the frozen Chicago courses this winter.

3 hours ago, Foozle said:

One other I might mention is Billy Casper's autobiography. I was aware of his reputation for consistency but his stats are quite incredible. Over his entire 25 year or so competitive career his % of wins, top 10 finishes and cuts made (he basically never missed a cut!) is astonishing as was his low score average all leading to winning 5 Vardon Trophies through the '60's - that is every other year! He finished ahead of at least one of the "Big 3" every year of their reign and often ahead of two! Had he stayed with IMG he would be remembered in the same exaulted terms as the Big 3.

I would add that Billy made no play on these stats in the book, it was reading the appendices that was really enlightening!

Is that Billy Casper Me and the Big Three?

8 minutes ago, coldwareragolfer said:

If you don't mind me asking, where do you play?

I know some in the western 'burbs stay open but I'm not sure about the ones toward the north.

Thx.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

1 hour ago, Gsea said:

One other I might mention is Billy Casper's autobiography. I was aware of his reputation for consistency but his stats are quite incredible. Over his entire 25 year or so competitive career his % of wins, top 10 finishes and cuts made (he basically never missed a cut!) is astonishing as was his low score average all leading to winning 5 Vardon Trophies through the '60's - that is every other year! He finished ahead of at least one of the "Big 3" every year of their reign and often ahead of two! Had he stayed with IMG he would be remembered in the same exaulted terms as the Big 3.

I would add that Billy made no play on these stats in the book, it was reading the appendices that was really enlightening!

1 hour ago, Gsea said:

On 12/8/2020 at 1:17 PM, @_the_crook said:

If you don't mind me asking, where do you play?

I know some in the western 'burbs stay open but I'm not sure about the ones toward the north.

Thx.

I was using till they closed and now it's Golf Center in Des Plaines.  Golf Center I've only used the driving range which is heated!  But the lady at the desk told me the course stays open year round.

Edited by coldwareragolfer

19 minutes ago, coldwareragolfer said:

I was using Anetsberger till they closed and now it's Golf Center in Des Plaines.  Golf Center I've only used the driving range which is heated!  But the lady at the desk told me the course stays open year round.

Shepherd's is already closed. might get in one more round at Sunset.

oddly, I saw flags on the greens today at HPCC driving down Park Avenue. 

thought they had shut that place down some time ago when they gave the land away.

thanks for the info on Golf Center.

one of our guys lives near Midlane so he should have some info on Lake County places shortly.

I have a set of 845's, a spare driver and a flask for the arctic months. just in case.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

1 minute ago, @_the_crook said:

Shepherd's is already closed. might get in one more round at Sunset.

oddly, I saw flags on the greens today at HPCC driving down Park Avenue. 

thought they had shut that place down some time ago when they gave the land away.

thanks for the info on Golf Center.

one of our guys lives near Midlane so he should have some info on Lake County places shortly.

I have a set of 845's, a spare driver and a flask for the arctic months. just in case.

Reminds me I need a new flask!

20 hours ago, seis said:

For you Chicagoguys who live north I have a friend who is retired and works part time at Chevy Chase in Wheeling and he says they are going to stay open this winter conditions willing. I presume they are going to try to make the Park District some extra cash inthese sucky COVID times.

That is an awesome golf course, and even more awesome clubhouse that they have. I remember playing a tournament there in High School, it was like stepping back in time.

I haven't been back since. I need to remedy that. Chevy Chase would be the perfect track for vintage equipment. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

That is an awesome golf course, and even more awesome clubhouse that they have. I remember playing a tournament there in High School, it was like stepping back in time.

I haven't been back since. I need to remedy that. Chevy Chase would be the perfect track for vintage equipment. 

Never played it.   Drove past it 100000s of times thought it was private.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Never played it.   Drove past it 100000s of times thought it was private.

I’m sure it was at one time. I think I remember reading it even hosted a professional tournament won by Ben Hogan in its heyday. 

It has been a number of years since I’ve played it, but I remember it being a very interesting, old school, parkland style track. Not overly long, but tree-lined, and tricky.  When we get the chance to gather up a group for a vintage round, it would be an excellent choice. 

We are lucky in the Chicagoland area, we have a great collection of golf courses, and A LOT of them 🙂 

There are a lot of excellent courses up your way. 

Edited by Dr. Block

I've been spending more time thinking about playing some form of retro golf, going forward.  I should probably add "again" to that sentence; I found myself doing much the same thing last offseason, to the point I purchased NOS Orlimar persimmons (1-3-4) from Brother Deejaid.  I seem to have a form of "new equipment fatigue" where the shiny new stuff has little appeal to me.  

I *was* intrigued by the TM Original One, however.  Picked one up, it's in the bag.

And that acquisition might best illustrate how classic golf is manifesting for me.  The focus is more on the size of the woods, less about the material used to make them. Some of this is undoubtedly due to my having started this game late in 1998, when titanium was well established, i lack the background with persimmons and laminates that many have.  I think its also due to what I call my inner nerd.  I like tech, and innovations in equipment.  

To be clear, I mean real innovations, not just taking a 4 iron and stamping "7" on the sole, LOL.

These days when I'm surfing eBay, I find myself looking at Mizuno TZoid drivers, maybe the Cobra Deep Face, that sort of thing.  

An alternative look at the idea of retro golf.  <shrug>

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

12 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I've been spending more time thinking about playing some form of retro golf, going forward.  I should probably add "again" to that sentence; I found myself doing much the same thing last offseason, to the point I purchased NOS Orlimar persimmons (1-3-4) from Brother Deejaid.  I seem to have a form of "new equipment fatigue" where the shiny new stuff has little appeal to me.  

I *was* intrigued by the TM Original One, however.  Picked one up, it's in the bag.

And that acquisition might best illustrate how classic golf is manifesting for me.  The focus is more on the size of the woods, less about the material used to make them. Some of this is undoubtedly due to my having started this game late in 1998, when titanium was well established, i lack the background with persimmons and laminates that many have.  I think its also due to what I call my inner nerd.  I like tech, and innovations in equipment.  

To be clear, I mean real innovations, not just taking a 4 iron and stamping "7" on the sole, LOL.

These days when I'm surfing eBay, I find myself looking at Mizuno TZoid drivers, maybe the Cobra Deep Face, that sort of thing.  

If you want a real classic driver with interesting tech, check out the Wilson Whale. Remember those? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

If you want a real classic driver with interesting tech, check out the Wilson Whale. Remember those? 

Before my time, but I've looked for them.  Louisville Golf made a persimmon version for a while, but they seem to have gone by the wayside.  

Wood Bros Corker is also intriguing.  

I've got a Louisville Smart Driver with graphite.  If I had a 3w with graphite, I could very easily find myself playing them most of the time.  I used the Smart Driver quite a bit in the early part of 2020 season.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

8 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I feel a bit the same.  My club had a Titleist fitting day and I ended up ordering a set of 620 CB’s.   A beautiful set of irons but I don’t play any better with them than the Pedersen Exel irons I was playing previously or the Spalding Tour Editions I have in the bag now.    

I also ordered a Vokey gap wedge, then they asked what sand wedge I was using, and what lob wedge I was going to use.  Started to become overwhelming and that was what led to classic golf in the first place.   I was tired and overwhelmed by new equipment and launch monitor numbers and $500 boutique shaft upgrades.   I just wanted simple.

Another thread here on the forum asked if we needed a wedge with more that 56* loft.  Many said no but plenty listed their bags of 4, even 5 wedge set ups and said they don’t want to have to open up or manipulate a wedge so they need that many wedges.   I find having that many options around the green overwhelming.  I carry a 50* pitching wedge and a 55* sand wedge.   Anything low and needs to run it’s the pitching wedge.  Anything that needs some height and to stop quicker it’s the sand wedge.  If I need more height I open it up a bit.  Need to flop it?  Open it up all the way.   I love taking just a sand wedge to the practice green and working on hitting all types of shots from all sort of lies with just one club.   

I don’t watch professional golf except for the Masters, and I don’t read golf magazines, so my exposure to golf equipment advertising is pretty limited.   I don’t want or feel the need to have to have the latest in technology. 

For me, classic golf has taken complete hold.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Before my time, but I've looked for them.  Louisville Golf made a persimmon version for a while, but they seem to have gone by the wayside.  

I've got a Louisville Smart Driver with graphite.  If I had a 3w with graphite, I could very easily find myself playing them most of the time.  I used the Smart Driver quite a bit in the early part of 2020 season.

I keep switching between my Louisville Smart and the Orlimar.   The Smart is longer with the graphite shaft but the Orlimar is so dang accurate.   Just a fairway finder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deejaid said:

I keep switching between my Louisville Smart and the Orlimar.   The Smart is longer with the graphite shaft but the Orlimar is so dang accurate.   Just a fairway finder.

I really like the Orlimars I got from you, they're just lovely.  My problem going forward is that I'm switching to graphite thru the bag.  And I lack the experience to reshaft with graphite myself.  Thinking about having it done with a couple of my woods.

Amusingly, my assorted preferences and biases are such that I could have an oversized persimmon driver without the problems many see with the weight.  Even with graphite, I'd prefer a driver at 43.25", maybe 43", and around D5 or D6 swingweight.  Seems a good fit for a slightly larger club, right?  🙂

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I feel a bit the same.  My club had a Titleist fitting day and I ended up ordering a set of 620 CB’s.   A beautiful set of irons but I don’t play any better with them than the Pedersen Exel irons I was playing previously or the Spalding Tour Editions I have in the bag now.    

I also ordered a Vokey gap wedge, then they asked what sand wedge I was using, and what lob wedge I was going to use.  Started to become overwhelming and that was what led to classic golf in the first place.   I was tired and overwhelmed by new equipment and launch monitor numbers and $500 boutique shaft upgrades.   I just wanted simple.

Another thread here on the forum asked if we needed a wedge with more that 56* loft.  Many said no but plenty listed their bags of 4, even 5 wedge set ups and said they don’t want to have to open up or manipulate a wedge so they need that many wedges.   I find having that many options around the green overwhelming.  I carry a 50* pitching wedge and a 55* sand wedge.   Anything low and needs to run it’s the pitching wedge.  Anything that needs some height and to stop quicker it’s the sand wedge.  If I need more height I open it up a bit.  Need to flop it?  Open it up all the way.   I love taking just a sand wedge to the practice green and working on hitting all types of shots from all sort of lies with just one club.   

I don’t watch professional golf except for the Masters, and I don’t read golf magazines, so my exposure to golf equipment advertising is pretty limited.   I don’t want or feel the need to have to have the latest in technology. 

This really hits the mark.

I spent a fair amount of time in 2020 playing MP37s.  Set them to their standard 47* PW, added a 52* wedge above that.  Decided i would try 56/60 wedges above that.  What I found was that I had to largely invent uses for the 56*.  Short shots were the 60*, if I had a longer greenside shot, the 52* was a better fit.  I don't hit full shots with the 56* or 60*, prefer playing partial shots with something once I get to 100 yards and in.  

Except for a specific distance that worked for a half to two thirds 56*, I largely never used it.  Went back to the 58* at that point, pulling the 56* and 60*.  Kept it even if I used a 51* or 50* PW (obviously no GW there), and with my 49* sets, I'd add the 53* Scratch wedge.  Worked quite well.  I've even picked up a PM Grind 58* for the 21 season.

I tend to think of the 52* or 53* club more like a PW, and I think of a 58* club as a SW.  <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I've got a Corker with a mysterious graphite shaft in it. It's not my favourite persimmon I own, but it's high up there. The shaft is a bit squirrelly for me as I can't always sense the head in the swing, but when I hit that thing on the screws, it really is as long as anything. The ball seems to float on the air, and run for miles. I may only get one or two in a round like that, but they always leave me smiling. 

54 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I've avoided going into that thread about the 56* wedge because I'm not sure where I stand (I have to say, I think it's a great topic as the golf season winds down for a lot of us).

In my modern set I go 52*-58*, and the gaps are good. The gap between the PW (47*) and the 52* is not so good...

But when I play my classic stuff, I just use the set SW if I have one (except if it's a Mac; I've not found a Mac SW I like), and if not my RAM Camber Sole SW at 55* or Wilson FG-J8 SW at 56*. In truth, it's enough. However, I also like to play a BeCu RAM 53* now and again, so I'll add a RAM Tom Watson grind SW I bent to 57* with that, and sometimes when I'm on a Wilson freak out, I'll chuck in a Tom Kite 60* at the bottom of the bag. 

So, when playing the old stuff, there's an element of playing not just what's necessary, but rather what I fancy, so I'll add an extra club here or there simply because I want to play it. I don't mean I'm playing with 15 or 16 clubs--though no one would care if I did--but rather as I usually go 1-3-5 woods then 3-SW and putter, I've got an extra spot for a wedge, or a 1-iron, or a 2-wood or whatever; a club I don't really need but add for fun.

Incidentally, my wedge game has definitely improved since I started practising lots of different shots with the set PW and SW in my old irons. These 4 and 5 wedge setups seem crazy to me, though to a Tour Pro who drives the ball 330 yards ad has to hit into a slick, rock-hard green they probably make more sense.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I've got a Corker with a mysterious graphite shaft in it. It's not my favourite persimmon I own, but it's high up there. The shaft is a bit squirrelly for me as I can't always sense the head in the swing, but when I hit that thing on the screws, it really is as long as anything. The ball seems to float on the air, and run for miles. I may only get one or two in a round like that, but they always leave me smiling. 

I've avoided going into that thread about the 56* wedge because I'm not sure where I stand (I have to say, I think it's a great topic as the golf season winds down for a lot of us).

In my modern set I go 52*-58*, and the gaps are good. The gap between the PW (47*) and the 52* is not so good...

But when I play my classic stuff, I just use the set SW if I have one (except if it's a Mac; I've not found a Mac SW I like), and if not my RAM Camber Sole SW at 55* or Wilson FG-J8 SW at 56*. In truth, it's enough. However, I also like to play a BeCu RAM 53* now and again, so I'll add a RAM Tom Watson grind SW I bent to 57* with that, and sometimes when I'm on a Wilson freak out, I'll chuck in a Tom Kite 60* at the bottom of the bag. 

So, when playing the old stuff, there's an element of playing not just what's necessary, but rather what I fancy, so I'll add an extra club here or there simply because I want to play it. I don't mean I'm playing with 15 or 16 clubs--though no one would care if I did--but rather as I usually go 1-3-5 woods then 3-SW and putter, I've got an extra spot for a wedge, or a 1-iron, or a 2-wood or whatever; a club I don't really need but add for fun.

Incidentally, my wedge game has definitely improved since I started practising lots of different shots with the set PW and SW in my old irons. These 4 and 5 wedge setups seem crazy to me, though to a Tour Pro who drives the ball 330 yards ad has to hit into a slick, rock-hard green they probably make more sense.

Ha!  I read and avoided commenting on that wedge thread too.  The only real thing I learned from it was that we're all very different in our choices and preferences and that there is no "right way" to think on the subject.  It was exactly like a thread about playing blades - lots of opinions and two or three folks who think they know the answer and will argue their point almost endlessly.  I was particularly amused with the chat about how only the better players know to how to use a lob and that "weekend hacks" only use a 56 because they're not willing to put in the effort to learn how to use a 60.  That made me laugh.  Folks always want to label other folks and separate them into tidy little groups.

I play a 56 with about 10 degrees of bounce as my most lofted wedge just because I prefer it.  I just like using it more than my 60 or 64 and because of that I've gotten good with it.  It's not rocket surgery.

• Like 3

You guys are losing me!  Graphite shafts?  Also the concept with degrees of wedges sort of takes the sprit out of my initial point of this topic.  But I will keep an open mind?  🙂

That said, going back to earlier recommendations.  I’m 3/4s of the way through with Afternoons with Mr Hogan.   What a GREAT book!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coldwareragolfer said:

You guys are losing me!  Graphite shafts?  Also the concept with degrees of wedges sort of takes the sprit out of my initial point of this topic.  But I will keep an open mind?  🙂

That said, going back to earlier recommendations.  I’m 3/4s of the way through with Afternoons with Mr Hogan.   What a GREAT book!

If I want to keep playing, I'll have to go graphite.  I should have stuck with the graphites when I first switched three years ago (in a set of Rams).  Using them showed me just how much my elbows and wrists were affected swinging steel shafted irons.

Edited by NRJyzr

• 1 month later...

back in the way way back...Used ken venturi's videos, johnny miller and lee trevino short game chipping. venturi is to the point, not a lot of nonsense. like miller for tempo. nice long swing. trevino, not so technical, but very reliable, crisp contact heavy move. 

you can get lost in this lesson/ videos stuff. the mind can become muddled with too many thoughts.

now jp likes this local aussie guy he visits every other year...when he gets muddled. "throw the club up into wall mate..." he says...works great for jp. so simple.

• Like 1

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

On 2/7/2021 at 8:57 PM, Jack Pearsall said:

back in the way way back...Used ken venturi's videos, johnny miller and lee trevino short game chipping. venturi is to the point, not a lot of nonsense. like miller for tempo. nice long swing. trevino, not so technical, but very reliable, crisp contact heavy move. 

you can get lost in this lesson/ videos stuff. the mind can become muddled with too many thoughts.

now jp likes this local aussie guy he visits every other year...when he gets muddled. "throw the club up into wall mate..." he says...works great for jp. so simple.

"Mind muddled with too many thoughts."

This is a GREAT quote and sort of something that hit me this summer when I decided to chase this "classic golf" only approach.

My wife's uncle was a REALLY good amateur golfer he played in some big pro/am  tournaments out here and was rather successful.  He's teaching his son in law how to golf we both started at the same time.  He used to beat me when we'd go out.  

Late last summer we met up and he was so in his own head about everything his father in-law had been teaching him he 1) couldn't hit the ball off the tee  2) had a terrible time! I watched him mentally lose control and me chiming in "hey these old clubs were 20 bucks at a garage sale" only frustrated him more.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It would seem you have found a way to enjoy the game that

doesn't require relentless pursuit of technology for its own sake.

But then, with all the older simple, well made equipment still out

there to be had and appreciated  (see below),  your approach

is a quite reasonable one.

On the old players to study topic, I would recommend Snead and

Nelson. They both 'swung' the club so easily - oily power.

ipt 01.jpg

• Like 1