2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How Would YOU "Bryson Proof" a Course??

Forged4ever

hard to bryson proof anything... its not just the driver. the OL short irons are beastly through rough. another big advantage. and when the putter is hot he's been top 5 or top 10 on the greens. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

On 10/1/2020 at 7:47 AM, Forged4ever said:

Hey Gals & Gents, I hope that you all are well👊

This is Bryson's take on slowin him down, though what would you do, short of just lengthening the course?

My first thought was to set the course up to keep the driver out of his hands, and as far as the rest of the field??

Deal with it🤷🏻‍♂️

Also, he stated that "distance is now king."

Well, distance has ALWAYS been king!!

For you youngsters, go back to the archives and read what they said after Jack exploded onto the scene, and Gregory, then Big John and lastly, Tiger🐯 

Distance has ALWAYS been King!!

Keep the Faith My Friends, we're gonna get through this together😊

Fairways & Greens 4ever

RP

https://golf.com/news/bryson-dechambeau-bryson-proof-course/amp/

Even with an entire field of “Brysons”, I don’t see a reason to “proof” it to make it harder?

All in favor of a rollback should simply get the broadcasters to play more champions tour events.

Start a 70s and over tour?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shilgy said:

The problem is golf is, preferably, played on grass and shade retards grass growth.  I would bet the courses with trimmed trees that you don’t like have much better grass than the tree crowded shade infested courses you do like. 
For years clubs did tree planting programs and they succeeded, for a while. They forgot trees grow and where trees grow grass does not.

edited to add...like you I love tree lined courses. But I like great turf to play from even more!

The Korn Ferry tour had my former clubs to remove a bunch of trees and none of it had to do with grass. The trees to asked to be removed made the course play easier. 

4 hours ago, Shilgy said:

The problem is golf is, preferably, played on grass and shade retards grass growth.  I would bet the courses with trimmed trees that you don’t like have much better grass than the tree crowded shade infested courses you do like. 
For years clubs did tree planting programs and they succeeded, for a while. They forgot trees grow and where trees grow grass does not.

edited to add...like you I love tree lined courses. But I like great turf to play from even more!

The Korn Ferry tour had my former clubs to remove a bunch of trees and none of it had to do with grass. The trees to asked to be removed made the course play easier. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, airjammer said:

What course was that?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

6 hours ago, airjammer said:

Hell, forget the Korn Ferry, as all that ya have to do is look at what the USGA force fed Oakmont in exchange for future Majors, lol.

Stay Well AJ👊

All the Best,

RP

• Like 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

On 10/1/2020 at 1:44 PM, isaacbm said:

The other side of that coin is should we make the golf course  more difficult for guys who are good putters? Should we penalized guys who have good wedge play? Should we penalized guys who have good course management? What would that look like? Every time a guy with good course management is about ready to hit somebody throws a doughnut at him? Or how about putting every time a good putter is ready to putt somebody runs out and drags his ball another 8 feet away from the hole? Why does anything have to be “Proofed” . 

If you say as a general rule you want everybody on the tour to hit it 15% less that’s one thing. But trying to figure out how to penalize long hitters is not possible. Especially when they can hit Less club the same distance as the short hitter and therefore be more accurate.

anyone ever hear of Bobby Jones? How about Sam Snead? How about Jack Nicklaus? Long hitters have had an advantage for 100 years guys! not going away.  Literally the only way you could take away Bryson’s advantage would be to change the rules only for him. As in he’s only allowed a 42 inch driver with 12° of loft for example.  

Is it fair to ask?

Would Tiger have already beaten every Record known to Golf, had they not started Tiger Proofing courses?

Would Tiger have crushed Jack Nicklaus' Records years ago?

We'll never know, will we?

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Grow the rough up long as hell, fairways wet & not so rock hard where they get 100 yards of roll, & stimp the greens to about 14 

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

22 hours ago, airjammer said:

Nashville golf and athletic 

Looks like a very nice course. The director of golf did think the turf was greatly improved. I am guessing this is the renovation you referred to.

http://www.williamsonherald.com/sports/improved-nashville-golf-and-athletic-club-ready-for-pro-event/article_c4dbb4a6-56bf-11e7-a8f3-4b7c7b5fddd8.html

9 hours ago, mdgboxx said:

Is it fair to ask?

Would Tiger have already beaten every Record known to Golf, had they not started Tiger Proofing courses?

Would Tiger have crushed Jack Nicklaus' Records years ago?

We'll never know, will we?

Tiger had a few other issues that stalled his pursuit of Jack. They hindered him more than Tiger proofing ever did.

Tiger proofing was not to stop tWoods from winning. It was an attempt to , and this should be a familiar refrain to anyone on golfwrx, get Tiger to play those courses “the way the architect intended”.  Never mind the fact that if the longest players are playing as intended that does mean the shorter players do not play it as intended.

Hmmm.....

• Like 1

Just give him a much spinnier, softer golf ball. Good luck keeping it on the planet with something like a 1990's balata ball.

I know some like his style of golf, but I find it incredibly boring. As Matt Fitzpatrick said, it doesn't take much extra skill to hit it that far with the equipment they have these days. It's just a matter of bulking up and swingingout of yoru boots. Do we really want a generation of golfers coming through that just spend all their time in the gym and belting it as far as they can...rendering all classic courses obsolete? Not for me.

18 minutes ago, Dicka said:

Just give him a much spinnier, softer golf ball. Good luck keeping it on the planet with something like a 1990's balata ball.

I know some like his style of golf, but I find it incredibly boring. As Matt Fitzpatrick said, it doesn't take much extra skill to hit it that far with the equipment they have these days. It's just a matter of bulking up and swingingout of yoru boots. Do we really want a generation of golfers coming through that just spend all their time in the gym and belting it as far as they can...rendering all classic courses obsolete? Not for me.

Lol this is horseshit, plenty of players have tried to get longer and lost their swing/consistancy, to get that much longer and keep dispersion virtually the same takes skill

Edited by 80sFredriksson
Added info
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 80sFredriksson said:

Lol this is horseshit, plenty of players have tried to get longer and lost their swing

Thanks for the eloquent response.

He's the only one that has gone down this drastic weight gain and speed training. Quite frankly, I think a bunch of tour players could do exactly the same...but just don't want to go through the extreme body transformation that BDC has. Doesn't take a lot of extra skill IMO and plenty of Tour players say the same.

You can "LOL" all you like. If you want to watch blokes belt the ball a million miles, go watch a Remax comp. Barely much difference to what's going on right now...all they're doing is adding a wedge and putt into the equation. Boring as "horseshit".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dicka said:

Thanks for the eloquent response.

He's the only one that has gone down this drastic weight gain and speed training. Quite frankly, I think a bunch of tour players could do exactly the same...but just don't want to go through the extreme body transformation that BDC has. Doesn't take a lot of extra skill IMO and plenty of Tour players say the same.

You can "LOL" all you like. If you want to watch blokes belt the ball a million miles, go watch a Remax comp. Barely much difference to what's going on right now...all they're doing is adding a wedge and putt into the equation. Boring as "horseshit".

If it is that easy to add 20-30 yards while hitting as many fws I bet all pros would be out there doing it, golf is getting it in the hole with the fewest amounts of strokes exactly what Bryson is trying to do, Jack was longer than the rest, Tiger was as well its an edge and a skill just like training your mid or long irons, short game or whatever. Remax long drive is not golf

Edited by 80sFredriksson

Fitzpatrick: 

Asked if he wanted the game's governing bodies to limit the distance achieved by modern equipment, Fitzpatrick added: "I really hope they do. In my opinion it's not a skill to hit the ball a long way.

"I could put on 40lbs. I could go and see a biomechanist, I could put another two inches on my driver and I could gain 40 yards. But the skill in my opinion is to hit the ball straight."

So why doesn’t he do it then? Too lazy or does he feel that it is beneath him? Or maybe it is a big ##&* skill to do what Bryson did and he’s scared of losing his swing as so many others have done when they chased distance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dicka said:

LOL!.....Classic courses will not be rendered obsolete. The Champions tour and LPGA can schedule tournament at any time....

5 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Fitzpatrick: 

Asked if he wanted the game's governing bodies to limit the distance achieved by modern equipment, Fitzpatrick added: "I really hope they do. In my opinion it's not a skill to hit the ball a long way.

"I could put on 40lbs. I could go and see a biomechanist, I could put another two inches on my driver and I could gain 40 yards. But the skill in my opinion is to hit the ball straight."

So why doesn’t he do it then? Too lazy or does he feel that it is beneath him? Or maybe it is a big ##&* skill to do what Bryson did and he’s scared of losing his swing as so many others have done when they chased distance.

I’d say it’s because it’s detrimental to someone’s overall health to add 40 lbs of fat.  At least that’s my opinion.  Bryson is portly.  It’s not a healthy condition if you asked his Family doc.  Add in the stress on joints etc , and I just don’t see how it leads to a career past 35.  

here’s the actual rub.  If enough change to his method and are willing to give up a long career to swing that hard , then the pro game is fundamentally changed to where a guy can’t win unless he does it.  And 35 is retirement age.  Is that what we want ? A career similar to what a NFL player sees ?  Maybe the majority does.  I don’t know. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

I’d say it’s because it’s detrimental to someone’s overall health to add 40 lbs of fat.  At least that’s my opinion.  Bryson is portly.  It’s not a healthy condition if you asked his Family doc.  Add in the stress on joints etc , and I just don’t see how it leads to a career past 35.  

here’s the actual rub.  If enough change to his method and are willing to give up a long career to swing that hard , then the pro game is fundamentally changed to where a guy can’t win unless he does it.  And 35 is retirement age.  Is that what we want ? A career similar to what a NFL player sees ?  Maybe the majority does.  I don’t know. 

Sounds kind of dramatic.

15 minutes ago, cxx said:

Sounds kind of dramatic.

Same thing Frank ( think that was his name )  from the USga said when this first came about ...... people got up in arms about 460cc drivers.  He was in charge and literally said “ no pro will ever want to play those monstrosities “.    Shrugged it off as a non issue.  If he had known they would , he agreed that it was a bad direction.  And would  have never allowed it.  Instead he chose to call it an overreaction.  And here we are. 370 down the middle 

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Same thing Frank ( think that was his name )  from the USga said when this first came about ...... people got up in arms about 460cc drivers.  He was in charge and literally said “ no pro will ever want to play those monstrosities “.    Shrugged it off as a non issue.  If he had known they would , he agreed that it was a bad direction.  And would  have never allowed it.  Instead he chose to call it an overreaction.  And here we are. 370 down the middle 

I don't think it's overly dramatic at all. This debate is just another subset of a larger debate that has been going in all sporting competitions over the last 10 years. Analytics (slowly at first) making their way into sport after sport, following baseball's early adoption, has brought about a similar conundrum for every sport it's touched. It's all about Aesthetics vs efficiency now. As players/coaches use numbers to be more efficient, the sports inevitably lose more and more of the nuance that is at the heart of why fans are fans of the sport. Now of course a number of fans like the changes ( I would argue most of those are newer/younger fans ). We've all seen in baseball, basketball, and football is trending that way more and more. Golf is just now starting to see it. Pretty soon all golfers learning the game as kids will be playing to the numbers and that will mean getting as close to the hole off the tee as physically possible. As more young kids practice that approach, more of them will end up being proficient at it. It's gonna happen, it will just take another turnover on tour to see it. It was gonna happen without Bryson. He's just accelerating it in my opinion.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OrangeGravy said:

I don't think it's overly dramatic at all. This debate is just another subset of a larger debate that has been going in all sporting competitions over the last 10 years. Analytics (slowly at first) making their way into sport after sport, following baseball's early adoption, has brought about a similar conundrum for every sport it's touched. It's all about Aesthetics vs efficiency now. As players/coaches use numbers to be more efficient, the sports inevitably lose more and more of the nuance that is at the heart of why fans are fans of the sport. Now of course a number of fans like the changes ( I would argue most of those are newer/younger fans ). We've all seen in baseball, basketball, and football is trending that way more and more. Golf is just now starting to see it. Pretty soon all golfers learning the game as kids will be playing to the numbers and that will mean getting as close to the hole off the tee as physically possible. As more young kids practice that approach, more of them will end up being proficient at it. It's gonna happen, it will just take another turnover on tour to see it. It was gonna happen without Bryson. He's just accelerating it in my opinion.  

100 % truth.   Better said than I could.    And the end result will be “ the game “ dying to some degree.  The debate is over how much of it will survive. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

8 hours ago, OrangeGravy said:

You're not wrong.  Student athletes are being asked to specialize in one sport earlier than ever - gone are the days where the quarterback also runs track and plays baseball in the summer, because he needs to devote his entire year to training in football.  Gone are the days where the softball girl plays basketball or volleyball in the winter, because she needs to do indoor hitting clinics in the winter to increase her batting average.  This specialization is the reason that, despite swimming banning their speedsuits, speed records are falling every year...only 1 world record still stands that was set with a full-body speedsuit, all the others have been broken by swimmers in standard race swimsuits.  Athletes are highly-tuned machines these days, even among the younger age brackets, and golf is no exception...especially with the proliferation and ready accessibility of launch monitor systems giving data that probably won't make a difference to a lot of golfers.

• Like 4

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

Well, he just drove a 300 yard par 4 with a iron. Don't know if it was as the crow flys or he cut a cut a corner and distance. Either way he flew it on the green. 

Only option are really tall trees so corners can be cut. 10 inch rough everywhere. Greens as hard as concrete. Fairways no wider than the length of a car.

Balls without dimples. This would definitely cut down on distance. 

Seriously, I don't have an issue with it. He changed his body and swing to gain distance. He's not using a new custom golf ball. New driver that somehow fools the CT and COR tests. 

He is also putting like Jordan did in '15. Making just about everything. If his putting cools he comes back alittle bit. I'm excited to see him at the Masters. 

The one thing he needs to do is stop yelling and blaming photographers. He's a pro athlete being photographed and filmed while doing his craft. Deal with it. 

7 hours ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

You're not wrong.  Student athletes are being asked to specialize in one sport earlier than ever - gone are the days where the quarterback also runs track and plays baseball in the summer, because he needs to devote his entire year to training in football.  Gone are the days where the softball girl plays basketball or volleyball in the winter, because she needs to do indoor hitting clinics in the winter to increase her batting average.  This specialization is the reason that, despite swimming banning their speedsuits, speed records are falling every year...only 1 world record still stands that was set with a full-body speedsuit, all the others have been broken by swimmers in standard race swimsuits.  Athletes are highly-tuned machines these days, even among the younger age brackets, and golf is no exception...especially with the proliferation and ready accessibility of launch monitor systems giving data that probably won't make a difference to a lot of golfers.

I know it all too well. I coach baseball at the summer club level (high school/college kids). That specialization all started with "those" parents that insisted come hell or high water, that their kid was gonna get a scholarship. Parents started it and former college/pro players threw gas on that fire by starting private tutelage in their respective sports and more importantly their former position in said sport. There is nothing in this world that is more motivated than a parent who really wants that scholarship badge of honor to brag about at the neighborhood BBQ or at the office. Oddly enough, what those specialty coaches rarely tell parents is that coaches/recruiters at the college level put a premium on kids that show the athletic ability to be good at multiple sports. What puts a linemen in football (O or D) over the top in recruiting? Showing his stuff on the basketball court. Big man with good enough feet to keep up on the court, sign him up. Baseball player getting looks and shows his leadership ability while QB of the football team, gets extra credit points. He's too small to play football at the next level, but he showed the baseball coach something that differentiates him from other guys who he might be level with skill wise. 

• Like 1