Buy new driver now or wait??

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buy one now, get excited by the marketing of this coming year's releases, and buy another one. Thats the Golf WRX way.

Not sure if you watch any of the videos from TXG but they discussed this on their weekly Q&A yesterday. Their thought was there isn't that much difference from year to year in performance and this

Depends on which manufacturer.   Cobra (as an example) has discounted the SZ line and if you want an upcharge shaft it's the same incremental charge as when they were full price.

Not sure if you watch any of the videos from TXG but they discussed this on their weekly Q&A yesterday. Their thought was there isn't that much difference from year to year in performance and this year has been a great year for drivers. Meaning the '21 models won't be significantly better. 

To me, if you pull the trigger now, you're not going to lose out on anything

• Like 4

Depends on what you’re looking to get. It looks like the biggest difference in drivers is going to be the Titleist TSi Drivers. Every other brand will be minor changes (I think?).  I’ve heard the TSi drivers could put Titleist back into the conversation as best driver. Time will tell. Me personally, I’m waiting for the TSi’s. 

3 hours ago, quikcolin said:

These discounts kinda go out the window when ordering with different shafts, other than what they send out to the retailers - correct?

Depends on which manufacturer.

Cobra (as an example) has discounted the SZ line and if you want an upcharge shaft it's the same incremental charge as when they were full price.

• Like 2

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Price aside, I think it depends on what you miss is and looking to change about your current set up. If you are thinking about getting fit by someone like CC, Truespec, etc... you might want to wait. If you are just ordering from the OEM, I say find the one that fits your corrections. 

Driver: For now. Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5 w/GD AD-TP6X   3wd: Titleist TS2 15 w/ Atmos Black 8s Tour Spec Tour Stiff Hybrid: Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100 w/ Nippon Super Peening Orange HSx1  Wedges: Miura Tour 55, 59 w/ Nippon 125 Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

Depending on how old is your driver. Depending on your tends while tee off. It goes left or right or straight all the times. There are good drivers out there to minimize your struggles and more forgiving with designs and adjustments.  And good shaft that fits you.
It won’t be different next year. 

Callaway Mavrick 10.5 GD Tour AD IZ 6 S

Callaway Epic Flash 16* GD Tour AD DI 6 S

Callaway Epic Flash Hybrid 18* Recoil  F4

Callaway Apex 19 4 iron Steelfiber fc90 S

Callaway Rogue Pro 5 -PW Recoil ES 780 F4

Ping i210 U Wedge 48* DG 105 S

Callaway PM Grind 19 Black 54* Steelfiber fc115cw S

Callaway PM Grind 19 Black 60* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Scotty Cameron Select Square Back 34 Putter

Yellow ProV1 & ProV1X

2 hours ago, gibbyfan said:

Price aside, I think it depends on what you miss is and looking to change about your current set up. If you are thinking about getting fit by someone like CC, Truespec, etc... you might want to wait. If you are just ordering from the OEM, I say find the one that fits your corrections. 

That’s my plan. I’m wanting to finally get a good fitting, but holding out to see if CC discounts in November. Also, a few manufacturers will likely make announcements this month (c’mon Cobra one length t rails) so I’ll see if there’s anything I just can’t live without.

Edited by SugarLandGolfer
  • Like 1

I'm in the same boat. Even though I have probably 3 rounds left for the year I really want a new driver. I made the mistake of doing a 14 day Maverik/rouge white trail with Global Golf thinking that would satisfy my need for a new toy.

Unfortunately it just made it worse. I'm on the g400 max currently and haven't even thought about a new driver for 2 years. Mav was so much lower ball flight and up to 30 yds longer for me (250 vs 280 on Arrcos) I know the Max is still hard to beat so just tells me I need lower loft and lower spin. Max launches HIGH for me. 

Pretty much every day I talk my self into and out of ordering the Mav off CPO, trying a PXG proto, speedzone sale or just wait till I can try the new Titleist at a real fitting.

Right now have settled on doing a fitting at True Spec in mid Oct to confirm what heads/shafts work best for me. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, JopagocksNY said:

Depends on what you’re looking to get. It looks like the biggest difference in drivers is going to be the Titleist TSi Drivers. Every other brand will be minor changes (I think?).  I’ve heard the TSi drivers could put Titleist back into the conversation as best driver. Time will tell. Me personally, I’m waiting for the TSi’s. 

Good call on the upcoming Titleist offerings. They might be the only thing I'd wait for. 

• Like 1

Me personally, I would never get a brand new driver since its tech has stagnated since the OEMs made their drivers as the maximum size of 460 cc and their faces as hot as legally possible.  They squeezed out a few more yards by manipulating its COG and made them more forgiving with faster balls speeds on off center hits.  So if you hit it all over the face, it is best to get a driver made within the last 5-6 years (the Ping G400 Max would do nicely).  But if I was coerced to get one brand new, I'd would wait when the 2021 models come out and get the 2020 version at a discount.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Depends on how long you have left in your season.  No one likes getting a new toy that they have to put down shortly after getting it.  There was nothing wrong with my TS3, yet I still bought a Sim for the hell of it.  I'm in the wait category as even with the discounts currently going on, they aren't going anywhere, and in the Spring there will likely be decent trade in % going on and more OEM's will have released product for the others to compete against.

Titleist Canada Day Bag:  Red Maple Leaf Dormie Headcovers

Titleist Tsi3 10* w/ KK XT 60 X

Titleist TS3 16.5* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ EF T1100 6.0

Edel 4-P w/ Paderson TS-I S

Edel 50/54/58 w/ Paderson TS-W S

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

On 10/2/2020 at 6:46 AM, Hershey27 said:

I'm in the same boat for a new driver.  I am very exited about the new Titleist TSI line and may pull the trigger on the TSI3 to replace the trusty old 910D3.  I could save a $100 and get the TS3, but i think Titleist is going to knock this new line out of the park. 

TS3 is now $349, and I thought the rumor is that TSi will be $550. But that is a rumor. 

I dont think the technology has been drastically improved in 5 or 6 years, the only difference i have noticed is every manufacturer now has a driver that is both lower spin and forgiveness. Where as 6 years ago you really had to pick between the two. But im a club ho too so im just as guilty as the next guy who's wife thinks he spends way too much on golf.

• Thanks 1

If the driver that you currently game was properly fit....and by fit I mean club head, shaft, grip, total weight, and swing weight...then it is going to take years before another club comes out that will out perform it and warrant changing out the club.  And when that time comes you should buy a brand new driver that is at least one year old at a deeply discounted price in my opinion.  The only exception that I will make on this belief is when a fairway wood or hybrid suits my needs and that is only because I am a lefty and most clubs aren't offered in lefty. I still won't pay full retail but I will closely monitor them near the end of that particular club's sales cycle and catch them on a holiday sale or something like that. I love seeing all the new gear just like everyone else but we are slowly but surely becoming better consumers and falling for the marketing hype less and less with each passing year.  

On 10/6/2020 at 1:03 AM, thezinfan said:

TS3 is now $349, and I thought the rumor is that TSi will be $550. But that is a rumor. 

$549.99  I have seen the price list for stock shafts only.

TITLEIST TSi3 8* / VENTUS BLACK VELOCORE 7X D4 LOFT SETTING
TITLEIST TSi3 15* / VENTUS BLACK VELOCORE 7X D1 LOFT SETTING
TITLEIST 818H2 19, 23 HYBRID / TENSEI PRO WHITE 90TX A2 LOFT SETTING
NEW LEVEL PF-2 5,6,7 PF-1 8,9,PW / MMT 125 TX SS ONCE
MG2 48, 52, 58 / MMT 125 TX
PING CUSHIN SIGMA 2 38"

SIM, G410, Cobra are exceptional this year.  TS3 still holds up 24 months later.  I think the only OEM that will be “worth waiting for” would be Callaway to get the “adjustable year” (Epic, Epic Flash).  Just my hunch though.

Edited by Hougz79
  • Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 9*, HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60g TX (USA Edition)
TaylorMade SIM 3W 15*, HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 70g 6.5 (USA Edition)
TaylorMade SIM Max 3H 19*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW, PX LS 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58M

TaylorMade Spider X
SM 4.5LS 14 Way