Cleveland CBX2 vs. NEW Callaway Mac Daddy CB

Meanmachinemoe

I searched for the topic and didn't really see direct side by side comparisons so I thought I would weigh-in. First about me. I am 60 years old and an 8hc. I have never been a traditional wedge fan and quickly got on board the original CBX train a few years ago. I liked them but didn't love them. I was used to playing iron set wedges and felt that while the CBX were certainly more versatile around the greens, they lacked the full shot consistency of an iron set wedge. When CBX2 came out I quickly jumped on them and thought hey had improved the full shot consistency by changing the sole grind on the 54,  but they still were not exactly what I wanted. Then I saw the new Callaway Mack Daddy CBs online and rushed to my local shop and had them order a 54 and 58 for me sight unseen except for online. Being a Callaway iron user and developed by Callaway and Roger Cleveland I thought, CAN'T MISS!! Keep reading....

Looks

Much more iron set like than the CBX2 except for the full face grooves which I actually like. They are slightly smaller than the CBX2, though you would need to really study them side by side. The MDCBs have a nice wide sole.  I much more preferred the sole grind on the MDCBs. They must be chunk proof, right? Read on...

Feel

About the same. Not iron like but also not bladed wedge like either. Somewhere in between and I can live with that.

Performance

Spin MDCBs spin a ton. Crisp chips grab like the balls have glue on them. Full shots are pretty close to the same though the CBXs launch slightly higher for me. Now, about my previous comment of chunk proof for the MDCBs. Anything but!! The MDCBs leading edge sits closer to the ground(as advertised) to promote versatility. But it sits so low that it slices into the turf totally negating the wide sole. Some will say its my technique and they may be right to a certain degree but I was carving up beaver pelts with the MDCBs and no where near that with the CBX2s. Some who take normal divots may like that but for me it is a huge fail. Around the greens was about the same. I really had to focus on technique to make sure I didn't decelerate even a little as there was no room for error. Considering who these wedges are for, that again is a huge miss.

Needless to say, I am selling the MDCBs and staying with the CBXs until the next great wedge comes out and I'll do it all over again. In the meantime, please ask questions. I am happy to answer.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks for the review!

I play a CBX 50/11 as a gap wedge (of course!) and don't really love it but it is slowly growing on me. Ok on full shots, a little hot off the face for chipping for my ideal.

Considering buying a CBX or CBX2 or MDCB in 54/12ish to use for typical mid sand bunker work (I have a Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58 for compacted sand and other specialty greenside shots) but also as my go to chipping club. I am a decent bunker player but a variable chipper and like the wide sole design for standard chips.

So the club I need must do 'triple duty' - bunkers and chipping + also pitches.

From your review, looks like the CBX/CBX2 will be the better chipper. Do you have any comments about the MDCB out of sand vs the CBX/CBX2?

Thanks

Edited by Rapidcat

Srixon Z785 10.5° XCaliber T6+ S 44.5” //  Cobra F8 14.5° XCaliber FW S 43” //  Cobra F7 18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX85 S 42.5” //  Titleist 818H1 19° @ 21° Project X EvenFlow 6.0 S 90G 40.5” // Srixon Z565 4, 6-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  Wilson Infinite The Bean 34" Super Stroke 2.0XL+//  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

48 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Thanks for the review!

I play a CBX 50/11 as a gap wedge (of course!) and don't really love it but it is slowly growing on me. Ok on full shots, a little hot off the face for chipping for my ideal.

Considering buying a CBX or CBX2 or MDCB in 54/12ish to use for typical mid sand bunker work (I have a Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58 for compacted sand and other specialty greenside shots) but also as my go to chipping club. I am a decent bunker player but a variable chipper and like the wide sole design for standard chips.

From your review, looks like the CBX/CBX2 will be the better chipper. Do you have any comments about the MDCB out of sand vs the CBX/CBX2?

Thanks

Have you thought of pxg forged? On sale now and have a wide dole. I don’t game them but I heard good things. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Hzrdus RDX Blue 70g 6.0 

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: Ping S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Putter: TAII #2  

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

4 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Have you thought of pxg forged? On sale now and have a wide dole. I don’t game them but I heard good things. 

Thanks - I'll check that out.

Srixon Z785 10.5° XCaliber T6+ S 44.5” //  Cobra F8 14.5° XCaliber FW S 43” //  Cobra F7 18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX85 S 42.5” //  Titleist 818H1 19° @ 21° Project X EvenFlow 6.0 S 90G 40.5” // Srixon Z565 4, 6-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  Wilson Infinite The Bean 34" Super Stroke 2.0XL+//  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

10 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Thanks for the review!

Thanks

I did not test out of the sand. Sorry.

14 hours ago, Meanmachinemoe said:

Then I saw the new Callaway Mack Daddy CBs online and rushed to my local shop and had them order a 54 and 58 for me sight unseen except for online.

You're way ahead of me. I just saw them online two days ago for the first time.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I took both sets out again today. This time real course testing. I hit some fabulous shots with the Callaways.  Being 60 I don't generate much club head speed but I hit some 50-60 yrd pitches that stopped  absolutely dead.  I got to try bunkers and the CBs performed great there too. I even holed one.  I'm really torn now.. The CBs are growing on me. Going to take them out again tomorrow. More to come,

I am interested in trying the Callaways because I like their stuff, but I won’t want a wider sole than the CBX2, which has been a great addition for me. The 58 degree I have has been so good I have thought about getting a 50 or 54. I’m getting a lot more shots close to the hole and even the average shots are pretty good. Leading edge is perfect. Cleveland has a good one for sure. 

• 6 months later...

Almost six months in from this thread (and the other Mack Daddy CB thread started about the same time) and except for my own wedges, I have not seen a single one in anyone's bag and even the guys working in the local golf stores hardly seem to have heard of them. I think an apt description would be "languishing on the shelves, unwanted and unnoticed". No recent discussions online either.

So I guess they are somewhat of a bust for Callaway. Which is a pity because I like them a lot. The Mack Daddy CB is exactly what I'd hoped the CBX2 and CBX Full Face would be. Big, cambered, forgiving soles and ideal for someone with a strong preference to play everything except bunker shots with the wedge face either square or very slightly open.

For recovery shots, shots from rough and around the green I find the CB to be very much like my favorite of the CBX Full Face, the 56 degree. But unlike the Full Face the CB works great on full shots. Both the Full Face and CBX2 were always short and inconsistent on full swings for me. And not like a super high elevation or super high spin costing distance. I think of a 56 degree wedge as about a 80 yard full swing club but my Full Face 56 just hit weak, looping, knuckleballs that struggled to go even 75 yards. And the Full Face 60 I basically avoided using with anything bigger than a half swing.

The Mack Daddy CB wedges, degree for degree, go exactly the same distances I'd expect from the Vokey wedges I've played for many years. If I had to pick one, I'd say maybe a crisp shot with a Vokey might spin very slightly more than the CB but not enough to matter. And from thin lies, wet lies, decent lies in the rough, whatever, the contact is just so solid. Even sandy hardpan along the tree lines where I'd think a wide sole with plenty of bounce might be a liability, the CB wedges handle it just fine.

Oh well, I've got mine. If they disappear off the market because nobody else likes them I might grab a backup pair of them so I'll be set for quite a few years.

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

I have a CBX2 58* and a Callaway CB 54* and they both work well for me

I use the CBX out of the sand around the green and the CB for long chips 

I try not to hit full shots with either wedge.  That is just not something I think an 11 handicap should be trying.

I find both wedges very simple to use and they get equal amounts of spin

If I was forced to choose, it would be the CBX only because I like the satin finish

Driver -COBRA FLY-Z 9.5*

5 Wood - PING G400 17.5*

Hybrid  PING G400 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX2 Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Spitfire-34in

Ball- Snell- Black

I had the SM7's, nice clubs but as a higher handicap, I wanted wedges that were a little more cavity back. Went to the CBX's and liked them, but love, love love, the Callaway Mack Daddy's. Really the best wedge for my ability. Full shots are very nice and stop, great out of the sand and I seem to have more confidence. Love the full face on the 56 degree too.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

14 minutes ago, scott406 said:

I try not to hit full shots with either wedge.  That is just not something I think an 11 handicap should be trying.

When you say you don't hit "full shots" with your 54-degree do you mean that you aren't swinging as full-out as you would with a driver? Or do you literally make a 3/4 swing with a stronger-lofted club?

What I like about the Mack Daddy CB is I can use the 52 degree as an 11-iron and the 58 degree as a 12-iron in the sense of they just continue the progression of distance that I experience with my other club.

I hit my highest lofted iron (46 degrees) about 105 yards, the 52-degree CB about 90 yards and the 58-degree CB about 75 yards. All of those are a slightly shorter swing that I'd use with the clubs at the top end of my bag but it's the same swing I'd use with a 7-iron or 9-iron or whatever. 

The CBX2/CBX Full Face for me became very inconsistent for distance and ball flight with anything more than a half or maybe three quarter swing. And I just can't adapt to having to make a contrived, partial swing from 90 yards with a pitching wedge or something rather than just choosing the proper loft and making a stock, full swing. I mean yeah, "full" with a wedge is probably only 90% of "full" with a driver but it's not a deliberate partial swing.

3 minutes ago, GolfNuts4 said:

Love the full face on the 56 degree too.

I know the original justification for these Full Face or High Toe type wedges were for guys who open the face wide open to manufacture shots. But hey, even with a square face and square stance I can occasionally see an impact mark way out high and toward the toe. Just out a high-handicapper bad-swingness. They work well for bailing out that shot too!

8 minutes ago, North Butte said:

When you say you don't hit "full shots" with your 54-degree do you mean that you aren't swinging as full-out as you would with a driver?

More like a full 7 iron swing

8 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Or do you literally make a 3/4 swing with a stronger-lofted club?

Yes

I will club up (50*) and use a 3/4 or 1/2 swing

I was referring to myself as an 11hdcp

Everyone has different strengths to their game and hitting a full shot with a 58 or 54 degree wedge is not my strength

Too each his own

Driver -COBRA FLY-Z 9.5*

5 Wood - PING G400 17.5*

Hybrid  PING G400 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX2 Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Spitfire-34in

Ball- Snell- Black

6 minutes ago, scott406 said:

More like a full 7 iron swing

Yes

I will club up (50*) and use a 3/4 or 1/2 swing

I was referring to myself as an 11hdcp

Everyone has different strengths to their game and hitting a full shot with a 58 or 54 degree wedge is not my strength

Too each his own

It would be an exaggeration to say I can't hit the ball at all if I shorten my backswing but not by much. I have an extremely fast tempo and a fairly short backswing even when swinging "full". When I try to stop half or three-quarters of the way back what little timing I have just goes out the window, it's like I'm trying to complete the swing in less than zero seconds. 🤯

So I'm pretty much stuck to that full or 90% of full type range. Fortunately, my full-swing wedges don't go all that far to start with...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been playing CBX for three or four years now and I love these clubs.  My 54 and 58 have worn some and I was thinking about changing them.  I'm torn between the CBX2 or the Mac Daddy CB for replacement.  I've had a great experience with my CBX with most shots.  But I sometimes wish my wedges were like my gap (Ping G410) but with the control of a speciality wedge (which I can't get from my gap on delicate chips or pitches).   What would you recommend?  How about bunker shots: is the MD CB easier than the CBX or not? 

I've seen the Callaway wedges in my local store and the look of them didn't really appeal to me. I'm in the same boat as others where I want a CB wedge that flows on from my PW and I can hit full swings with it. My 52° Cleveland used to be that club but I've lost confidence with it and often prefer to hit a 3/4 swing with my PW. The Cleveland CBX appeals as I've always played Cleveland wedges but currently I am playing with a 47° PW.

I'm sorely tempted to get new irons and most these days seem to come with a 44-45° PW which means a 48-50° would be essential. But then the set gap wedge would probably be the best option in that scenario.  

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX 2 50°/10°, RTX 2 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I have the CB wedges but I don't care for them. I much more prefer the feel of the MD4 that I used to play before this. I will be trading these in for MD5's.

Cleveland Launcher XL 12 deg

Cleveland Launcher XL 3 Hy-wood 18 deg

Cleveland Launcher XL irons 5 thru dual 

Cleveland CBX2 52 and 58 degree wedge

Cleveland 8 Huntington Beach putter

Ball MAXFLI Trifli

Glove Maxfli Elite

Bag MAXFLI Honors plus

I have the MDCB's in a gaphite shaft 56 degrees and they are too light. I was going to go for the CBX2's and thought  the moment I bought the MDCB's, the CBX2's would go on sale and they never did. Saved 10 dollars on the MDCB's and lost in the end. Who knows maybe they would have been fine in a steel shaft. 

For me the CB plays plenty wide, every bit as forgiving of fat/deep contact as the CBX2. But the CB is a little more normal size which I find less awkward. And the CB is definitely easier to open up slightly, not talking about a flop shot or anything but just opening it up 3-4 degrees to engage the bounce and help take a few yards off.

• Like 1