Favorite Jacket for 50 degrees and under

Not sure your budget, but I found a nice 32 Degree jacket at Costco, currently $19 on their website. 

It it does have a hood, but what I really like is that the body is lightly insulated while the sides and arms are a stretch fleece fabric.  Plenty of stretch and range of motion for a golf swing, nice neutral colors, soft fabric, it definitely checked all my boxes for a late fall/winter jacket. I think this plus an Underarmour base layer will work all the way down to the high 30’s. 

drn92

• Like 1

I have been looking through all the comments and want to give cold weather golf more a shot. Live upstate NY, so will be cold, 20-30 degrees sometimes. How is this setup. 
I plan to walk while playing 

Under armour infrared (winter/insulated pants) 

under armour base layer 3.0

knit winter hat

under armour neck gaiter/warmer

Top:

under armour base layer 4.0

or Footjoy bass layer 

then footjoy thermal mid layer 

on top Ping Norse SL2 sleeveless.

will use cart mittens or may buy QB pouch, but may use push cart so pouch might not be worth it then.

will use hand warmers.

anything else? Will I be warm

enough?

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.0 Driver Black Ventus Velocore Shaft 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood GD Tour AD DI-7

Ping iCrossover GD Tour AD 9x
Srixon ZX7/DG AMT White 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM9 50,54,58
LAB Golf DF 2.1 Broomstick
Titleist ProV1
Bag Jones Trouper R

Podcasts: The Par Train

12 minutes ago, Golferclubs23 said:

I have been looking through all the comments and want to give cold weather golf more a shot. Live upstate NY, so will be cold, 20-30 degrees sometimes. How is this setup. 
I plan to walk while playing 

Under armour infrared (winter/insulated pants) 

under armour base layer 3.0

knit winter hat

under armour neck gaiter/warmer

Top:

under armour base layer 4.0

or Footjoy bass layer 

then footjoy thermal mid layer 

on top Ping Norse SL2 sleeveless.

will use cart mittens or may buy QB pouch, but may use push cart so pouch might not be worth it then.

will use hand warmers.

anything else? Will I be warm

enough?

I've been playing winter golf the past few seasons.  Here are my recommendations.  

Wind is a bigger factor to keeping warm than the temperature.  You'd be surprised how little it takes to keep warm on a sunny winter day with little to no wind.  But if the wind kicks up...  Need to cover as much skin as possible.  Neck, throat, and hands need to be covered as much as possible.  Need layers.  Waiting around before you tee off will be colder than when you start walking and get the blood flowing.  I'll wear a large jacket over my playing attire on the practice green while waiting to tee off.   You'll need a way to stow the extra layers so make sure there is room in your bag.  

Long johns plus insulated pants is too much for me.  Insulated pants will likely be enough.  And if your legs get too hot, you can't shed layers.

Not familiar with UA gaiter but if it's like this, you're good.  Buff are great and with the Covid, there are tons of similar around.  https://buffusa.com/shop-buff/men.html 

I prefer a mock or full turtle neck as my base layer.  

Need mittens for sure.  Hands need to in the mittens as much as possible.  I carry hand warmers but never use them.  Have the USB battery powered one and the chemical ones.  Hands are very exposed when pushing the cart.  Need to protect them.

You didn't mention shoes or socks.  I wear a thick wool blend hiking sock with a waterproof spiked goretex shoe.  It can get very muddy in the winter.  Make sure your winter golf shoes will fit with heavy socks.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, drn92 said:

Not sure your budget, but I found a nice 32 Degree jacket at Costco, currently $19 on their website. 

It it does have a hood, but what I really like is that the body is lightly insulated while the sides and arms are a stretch fleece fabric.  Plenty of stretch and range of motion for a golf swing, nice neutral colors, soft fabric, it definitely checked all my boxes for a late fall/winter jacket. I think this plus an Underarmour base layer will work all the way down to the high 30’s. 

drn92

What’s your take on the jacket’s quality? I’m on their website now, and some of the pricing seems too good to be true. 

I agree with the previously mentioned Mizuno Windlite. Also, the Ping Norse jacket is definitely worth looking into. There's a thread on here singing its praises and I agree. If I knew how to link a thread on the new forums, I would. I have 2 of them and they're all I wear when it's really cold. Actually, if you're playing on a calm, sunny day in the mid 40s, both the Mizuno and Ping might be too warm.

• Like 1

Ping Norse is the one for very cold temps. Under 50 but still manageable I really like my Adidas Frostguard 1/4 zip

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

How good is Norse vest with very cold weather? 
Would I be ok with base layer under armour 4.0, polo. Then a quality fleece pullover (under armour or Footjoy) and then Norse vest in 30-40 degrees? 
I would wear wool socks and other items previously mentioned. 

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.0 Driver Black Ventus Velocore Shaft 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood GD Tour AD DI-7

Ping iCrossover GD Tour AD 9x
Srixon ZX7/DG AMT White 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM9 50,54,58
LAB Golf DF 2.1 Broomstick
Titleist ProV1
Bag Jones Trouper R

Podcasts: The Par Train

13 hours ago, TooMuchAwesome said:

What’s your take on the jacket’s quality? I’m on their website now, and some of the pricing seems too good to be true. 

I have a couple other jackets (high end Eddie Bauer, Prana, Spyder, Patagonia) and this appears to be just as well made. 

The price is so good that I might get a second in a different color. 

drn92

Edited by drn92

I don't have a favorite jacket for 50 degree and cooler temperatures. I tend to wear a 1/4 zip insulating layer, and, either a rain jacket (if raining), or, a wind breaker(breathable) to keep the wind off of me. And, if it is warm enough, just the insulating layer - Adidas Climaheat Dot from a couple of years ago.

fwiw, for insulated golf jackets I have a Ping Norse 2, and, an older Adidas Climaheat Primaloft full zip. The Ping Norse is more windproof than the Adidas jacket, but, the Adidas jacket seems warmer to me. Either is great when riding a cart, but, for me, when walking, I tend to get too warm. 

19 hours ago, Golferclubs23 said:

How good is Norse vest with very cold weather? 
Would I be ok with base layer under armour 4.0, polo. Then a quality fleece pullover (under armour or Footjoy) and then Norse vest in 30-40 degrees? 
I would wear wool socks and other items previously mentioned. 

I have the norse jacket and wear it with a short sleeve golf shirt or a very thin long sleeve if its 40-50 degrees, windy and overcast.  Sunny and no wind- the norse is too hot.

30-40s I usually wear an under armour base 3.0 and just the norse, because there is no point in wearing a golf shirt because I won't be taking the jacket off.

What you are thinking should be fine, provided you have some method of windproofing your arms.  However i would just get the full jacket.  It stretches great.  I used to think I couldn't play in a full jacket but I got used to it real quick. 

It's much easier to play in a jacket and a baselayer than 3 or 4 layers

Edited by Unteachable

I picked up an RLX paneled jacket with sweater like sleeves on a huge sale a few years back and have never changed from it. Just enough warmth when walking in the cold, and the sleeves are knit and allow for a lot of movement and flexibility, I never feel bound up in it. I've worn it walking in 40-45 degree temps, could probably go lower with more layers, but below that I might opt for something heavier.

• Like 1

When it’s cold and any wind, 

3/4 heat gear fitted tights, TNF polartec pants, TNF SS soft shell pants, Vaporstorm shoes, UA fitted CG top, UA infrared long sleeve shirt, Nike therma 1/4 zip, Nike aero loft vest, UA infrared CG beanie, mizuno thermal golf gloves

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

On 10/2/2020 at 6:55 PM, Augster said:

Mizuno Windlite. Not a jacket, but just plain awesome for chilly weather. 

I will second the Mizuno Windlite (if you can still find one). I first picked up one 10 years ago on the the advice of another forum member (I think his name was Chilidog, I believe he worked in the industry in some regard). The warmth that it provides with just a standard polo and base layer is ridiculous and it doesn't restrict your swing at all. It's been my cold-weather go-to clothing item for the past 10 years and it has never let me down. While not a jacket, definitely worthy of consideration for cold weather play. My only issue is that it's almost too warm some of the time, I've learned to vary the base layer to suit the conditions and it has worked well. Overall a great cold weather option.

• Like 1

I'm in Maryland and can pretty much play most of the winter if the sun is up and the wind is low.  Depending on conditions I have a couple Under Armor base layers in three different weights. Then I have a couple Mizuno Windlite sweaters. Through most of the Fall that's good enough.   When it gets colder I will top them off with a Zero Restriction Windstopper pullover.  Again I have varying weighs of these too. Thus by mixing and matching layers gets me through most any condition I'd want to play in.  

Edited by cristphoto

I will jump in and say that for anything between 35 and 50, I typically only wear a golf shirt plus my sun mountain hybrid jacket and regular golf pants. For temps (no wind chill) between 25 and 34, I will wear the Ping Norse jacket with golf shirt and regular pants. For temps below 24 (usually as a result of wind chill), I will add a base layer top and long johns in the bottom plus a warm skull cap on top of my regular golf hat. I typically run warm though.

On 10/4/2020 at 12:38 AM, Shakester said:

I have a Sunice Hamilton jacket I use on those colder days and it keeps me toasty.  They retail for $145, but can purchase older models, which is what I have, from Function 18 for much less.  

https://www.function18.com/sunice-hamilton-hybrid-jacket-s72001-black.html

How is the sizing on that? Returns from the US seem like a pain.

Genovega Unisex Heated Vest Without Battery, Washable Durable for Hiking, Hunting, Skiing, Motorcycling https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08FT1Y5NB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_hd7EFbQ4RCVQN

Everyone needs to know the power of the heated vest. It really will change your golfing life. You will he so warm you will find yourself unzipping it when it’s 40 degrees outside. I usually wear it with a long sleeve compression shirt, a polo and the vest and I’m super warm and unrestricted in my swing.