Favorite Jacket for 50 degrees and under

On 10/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, cardia10 said:

Any opinions on the Ping Breaker Jacket?

https://www.budgetgolf.com/ping-breaker-jacket.html

The sleeves on the Ping Breaker jacket are very snug with a limited amount of stretch. I am hoping the sleeves stretch out, but, I, also, picked up a Norse 2, so, I haven't spent much time in breaker jacket.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mizuno Windlite. Not a jacket, but just plain awesome for chilly weather. 

I actually prefer a vest rather than a jacket good base layer is the key so much easier to swing

Not sure your budget, but I found a nice 32 Degree jacket at Costco, currently $19 on their website.    It it does have a hood, but what I really like is that the body is lightly insulated w

Posted Images

On 10/3/2020 at 7:50 AM, LeoLeo99 said:

I've been playing winter golf the past few seasons.  Here are my recommendations.  

Wind is a bigger factor to keeping warm than the temperature.  You'd be surprised how little it takes to keep warm on a sunny winter day with little to no wind.  But if the wind kicks up...  Need to cover as much skin as possible.  Neck, throat, and hands need to be covered as much as possible.  Need layers.  Waiting around before you tee off will be colder than when you start walking and get the blood flowing.  I'll wear a large jacket over my playing attire on the practice green while waiting to tee off.   You'll need a way to stow the extra layers so make sure there is room in your bag.  

Long johns plus insulated pants is too much for me.  Insulated pants will likely be enough.  And if your legs get too hot, you can't shed layers.

Not familiar with UA gaiter but if it's like this, you're good.  Buff are great and with the Covid, there are tons of similar around.  https://buffusa.com/shop-buff/men.html 

I prefer a mock or full turtle neck as my base layer.  

Need mittens for sure.  Hands need to in the mittens as much as possible.  I carry hand warmers but never use them.  Have the USB battery powered one and the chemical ones.  Hands are very exposed when pushing the cart.  Need to protect them.

You didn't mention shoes or socks.  I wear a thick wool blend hiking sock with a waterproof spiked goretex shoe.  It can get very muddy in the winter.  Make sure your winter golf shoes will fit with heavy socks.  

WIND WIND WIND I cant agree more

I lived in Chicago for 15 years, it could be 45 up there but with the wind by the lake it felt like 20.

I moved back home to STL (thank the lord) and while it can get cold here, there is little to no wind.  It could be 35 here and feel warmer than a 50 degree day in Chicago.

4 hours ago, holin1 said:

Has anyone tried the Ping Norse S2 Zoned jacket?  https://ping.com/en-us/shop/apparel/men-s-apparel/outerwear/norse-s2-zoned-jacket

It doesn’t look as bulky as the  Norse Jacket. Based on the website description, the Zoned jacket ticks all the boxes:

- insulation;

- windproof; and

- water resistant. 

The blue zoned Norse looks really really nice. I’ve heard previous versions weren’t nearly as warm as the regular Norse but almost want to try it on looks alone. 

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

On 10/2/2020 at 3:56 PM, drn92 said:

Not sure your budget, but I found a nice 32 Degree jacket at Costco, currently $19 on their website. 

It it does have a hood, but what I really like is that the body is lightly insulated while the sides and arms are a stretch fleece fabric.  Plenty of stretch and range of motion for a golf swing, nice neutral colors, soft fabric, it definitely checked all my boxes for a late fall/winter jacket. I think this plus an Underarmour base layer will work all the way down to the high 30’s. 

drn92

Okay, mine came in today. 36 degrees out today with a wind. 

Pros: Warm. Plenty of range of motion for swinging. Pockets. Very, very light. Price is ridiculously cheap at $18. The center part keeps my core just as warm as a Windlite. 

Cons: The fabric on the arms are way too thin, so my arms were really cold. 

Now, I was wearing a polo beneath it and just going out in the backyard to hit a few balls in the snow. So if I would have put on a long sleeve base layer, which is nearly a necessity at 36*, windy, and overcast, even with the windlite, perhaps my arms wouldn’t be as cold. 

The plus over the Windlite that this jacket has, (and besides price) is that it has pockets. Warm pockets. One could put some “hot hands” in the pockets and they’d stay toasty warm. You can’t do that with a Windlite. 

All in all, the pros completely outweigh the cons. I am debating wearing this OVER a Windlite and I’ll likely be too warm at nearly every temp down to below zero. And I won’t have to wear a baselayer. 

I’m definitely keeping this and thank you so much for the recommendation. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting differences between the 32 degree jacket offered in the US versus Canada through Costco.  Ours has no hood, for instance.

grey 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

51 minutes ago, Augster said:

Okay, mine came in today. 36 degrees out today with a wind. 

Pros: Warm. Plenty of range of motion for swinging. Pockets. Very, very light. Price is ridiculously cheap at $18. The center part keeps my core just as warm as a Windlite. 

Cons: The fabric on the arms are way too thin, so my arms were really cold. 

Now, I was wearing a polo beneath it and just going out in the backyard to hit a few balls in the snow. So if I would have put on a long sleeve base layer, which is nearly a necessity at 36*, windy, and overcast, even with the windlite, perhaps my arms wouldn’t be as cold. 

The plus over the Windlite that this jacket has, (and besides price) is that it has pockets. Warm pockets. One could put some “hot hands” in the pockets and they’d stay toasty warm. You can’t do that with a Windlite. 

All in all, the pros completely outweigh the cons. I am debating wearing this OVER a Windlite and I’ll likely be too warm at nearly every temp down to below zero. And I won’t have to wear a baselayer. 

I’m definitely keeping this and thank you so much for the recommendation. 

Great to hear. I did see that same jacket in a local Costco, but not in my size. Mine has the hoodie, I sure hope it works as well for me!

drn92

33 minutes ago, Cruisin1966 said:

Interesting differences between the 32 degree jacket offered in the US versus Canada through Costco.  Ours has no hood, for instance.

grey 1

I have seen both here in CO. I think the hoodie version is newer. It also has a light elastic bottom (vs. the open bottom on this one). Both seem nice, I have the hoodie version in black and am pondering one in navy since they are only $19 in store right now. 

drn92

I love the FootJoy Liner Sweater for any kind of cold weather play. Great in the window, nice and comfortable. 

Ping G410 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Black 7x

Tour Issue TaylorMade SIM Ti 18.2* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

TaylorMade SIM UDI 18* / Fujikura Ventus Black 10tx

Titleist T100S 4-W / Dynamic Gold X7

Callaway MD5 Jaws Raw 54-12x / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 60-8w / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance

11 hours ago, Ruleschamp said:

The 2020 UA Coldgear Reactor Hybrid jacket.    After wearing it twice I tossed my original Ping Norse and Norse 2 into the Goodwill bin.

You get the golf version or the regular version that has a hood?  They look pretty nice and seem warm

Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S

15 minutes ago, browne11 said:

You get the golf version or the regular version that has a hood?  They look pretty nice and seem warm

I have the golf version without the hoodie.  It's the warmest lightweight jacket I've ever had.  You add an undershirt and a 1/4 zip underneath it, and you can play in weather cold enough to damage your clubs.

39 minutes ago, nezander said:

I have the golf version without the hoodie.  It's the warmest lightweight jacket I've ever had.  You add an undershirt and a 1/4 zip underneath it, and you can play in weather cold enough to damage your clubs.

I have an older version if I recall correctly.  Is the 2020 version much different?  Is your version stretchy?  

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

53 minutes ago, nezander said:

Interesting, UA.ca doesn't carry it.

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

3 hours ago, browne11 said:

Mine is the non-hoodie version.   I wasn't a huge fan of the earlier models but I really like the stretch panels in this version much better.   I just came back in from my lunchtime walk.  It's 46 with winds out of the north 15-20 mph and I had the Coldgear pants (no leggings), t-shirt, regular golf shirt and the Reactor Hybrid jacket and I'm had light perspiration.    Definitely didn't need anything else like leggings or a thermal shirt underneath.

Edited to add:   My comment earlier was a veiled poke at the Norse.   The original Norse was beyond fantastic, probably the best overall golf fall/winter jacket that I can remember ever wearing.  The Norse 2 was good, but not as good as the original as they made it too bulky.   Both of them were basically worn out from all the usage.

Edited by Ruleschamp
On 10/5/2020 at 1:20 PM, cristphoto said:

I'm in Maryland and can pretty much play most of the winter if the sun is up and the wind is low.  Depending on conditions I have a couple Under Armor base layers in three different weights. Then I have a couple Mizuno Windlite sweaters. Through most of the Fall that's good enough.   When it gets colder I will top them off with a Zero Restriction Windstopper pullover.  Again I have varying weighs of these too. Thus by mixing and matching layers gets me through most any condition I'd want to play in.  

Is this a Maryland thing? 

I have several UA base layers I use. I have four Mizuno Windlite sweaters I use. That usually takes care of it for me. Of course if it gets really cold or windy I pull out my Zero Restriction Windstopper pullover.

I love my Mizuno Windlite sweaters. 

1 hour ago, Greenie said:

Is this a Maryland thing? 

I have several UA base layers I use. I have four Mizuno Windlite sweaters I use. That usually takes care of it for me. Of course if it gets really cold or windy I pull out my Zero Restriction Windstopper pullover.

I love my Mizuno Windlite sweaters. 

Great minds think alike.  The three layers mixed and matched per temperature will get the job done for me.  The Windlite sweaters and the ZR Windstopper pullovers (which don't get a lot of mentions here) are exceptional products.   

For cold weather golf I use a Merino wool base layer (top & bottom), Galvin Green Gore-Tex pants, a 1/4 zip fleece top, and a fleece vest. If its a little windy, I'll add a Merino sweater or a "wooly pully" under the vest. Over the years I've spent a boat-load of cash on jackets promising no restriction in the swing but to-date, I've found nothing better than the aforementioned setup.  

• Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                      Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                     Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-PW                  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60   MCI MMT-125TX 

Bettinardi DASS MiNOVAi Tour Prototype 

On 10/22/2020 at 4:16 PM, drn92 said:

I have seen both here in CO. I think the hoodie version is newer. It also has a light elastic bottom (vs. the open bottom on this one). Both seem nice, I have the hoodie version in black and am pondering one in navy since they are only $19 in store right now. 

drn92

Can anyone speak to 32 Degree's sizing? What other brands does it compare to in terms of cut, fit, etc?

I ended up grabbing the Cold Gear Reactor Hybrid jacket from UA. I got the hooded version cause I play when it gets pretty cold. Jacket feels great and the stretch panels make swinging a breeze. Can’t speak to the warmth yet, but I imagine it will hold up to some pretty cold weather. 

Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S

On 10/23/2020 at 10:52 PM, Wartburger said:

The Norse Fleece is really nice for a fleece jacket.  But, for warmth, it doesn't compare to the insulated Norse.  I own (and like) both.  So, this is opinion based on personal experience, not second hand.

On 10/21/2020 at 4:58 PM, holin1 said:

Has anyone tried the Ping Norse S2 Zoned jacket?  https://ping.com/en-us/shop/apparel/men-s-apparel/outerwear/norse-s2-zoned-jacket

It doesn’t look as bulky as the  Norse Jacket. Based on the website description, the Zoned jacket ticks all the boxes:

- insulation;

- windproof; and

- water resistant. 

Historically, the sleeves on the Zoned Norse have been extremely thin and not at all insulated.  Reviews from people who have had personal experience with the zoned version kept me from getting one.  Instead, I went with the "regular" Norse jacket and a Norse vest for times when I don't want the extra warmth from insulated sleeves.