Does anyone else keep a Garbage Bag ?

To accommodate my semi- inebriated buddy who plays 2 times per decade and brother in law who swings like happy Gilmore who wants to play golf on every other Thanksgiving weekend, I have learned that, instead of letting them hit my clubs, I find it is best to keep a garbage bag of clubs around. Call me a snob, but since  they don’t know the difference between a 7 iron and a sand wedge, having a “garbage  bag” full of clubs saves me from having to look at sky marks on my driver after a raucous, alcohol-infused round with the buds. 

My current garbage bag consists of a full set of Adams A3OS irons 5-PW, a Bazooka 5 hybrid, A3OS 4 hybrid, Adams A3OS 5 wood and a Taylormade R7 Driver.   Various old Ping wedges and an old two ball putter fill in the gaps. 

Anyone else got a garbage bag?  What you got ?  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nope.   If they don't have their own clubs, they're renting.

Nope, bring your own clubs or rent a set otherwise stay home.

Nope.  I'd rather golf alone than with a drunken once-a-year chopper who doesn't respect my stuff.  Bigtime.  

Posted Images

Not a garbage bag, but I built a cheaper super game improvement set for family and friends that golf irregularly. Driver, 5-SW, putter tees and balls from my shag bag. A few of my family members gave actually got the bug, got fitted as they developed a repeatable swing after lessons, and bought their own gear. Figure us more mature golfers benefit from an influx of newer golfers. 

Yep. Here’s mine:

La Jolla 400cc 1W

Knight draw 3W

Nicklaus GB-9 3Hy, 4i-PW

Nicklaus 52° GW
Nicklaus GB-9 SW

(no putter)

It’s seen duty as a loaner set for non-golfer visitors, and to a buddy whose clubs were stolen.  He commented the Jack irons were actually half-OK.

Of course, now I’m thinking, “do I need a garbage putter for my garbage bag?”

Fall-Winter 2020

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Cobra F9 3W 14.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Callaway Rogue 5W 19° EvenFlow Blue 75

Ping G400 4Hy 22° NV 2KXV Green 85H

Ping i200 5i-PW AWT 2.0

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50° 54° 58° AWT 2.0

Carbon Bandit CS

I have a bag like that for those same reasons. 

A taylormade 300 series Driver

Some no-name irons 3-pw

Tommy Armour 52

Cleveland 588 TA 56

Wilson or Dunlop Putter

Callaway Rogue 9* @ 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75

Callaway Epic Flash 5W [email protected] 17* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75

Callaway Rogue 4H 21* Project X EvenFlow Black 85

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-7i KBS Max 90

Callaway Mavrik Pro 8-AW True Temper Elevate 105

Tommy Armour GXT 52* Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM7 58* D Dynamic Gold S200

Odyssey O-Works Red Jailbird Mini S

1 hour ago, JAM01 said:

Not a garbage bag, but I built a cheaper super game improvement set for family and friends that golf irregularly. Driver, 5-SW, putter tees and balls from my shag bag. A few of my family members gave actually got the bug, got fitted as they developed a repeatable swing after lessons, and bought their own gear. Figure us more mature golfers benefit from an influx of newer golfers. 

Yes same idea here. My old clubs are a bit too much for people to borrow (if you don't own clubs likely a hack). Having said that, I am sure in theory one day some travelling stick will be in town without clubs and they can you use one of my "backup" bags. 

not so much a garbage bag as multiple bags of extra clubs due to my upgrading/ho'ing. Irons I have some Wilson k 28 blades from the '70's that were my first clubs from my dad, can't give those away mostly for sentimentality. I have a set of hybrid irons from warrrior, also from my dad, that haven't really seen the light of day, I've meant to play a few rounds with those as I was looking at possibly purchasing some Cleveland Launcher hb's. In that bag is a TM r7 superquad and some wedges and a warrior blade putter. Then I've got some miscellaneous irons from when I was trying to replace my irons 1 by 1, and my old Cleveland VAS 792's from earlier this year, might give those away to charity. 

Dear lord, my first full year of serious golfing and I'm a full fledged club ho. I've even toyed with the ideas of working on some shafts for my driver.

5 hours ago, Swingingk said:

Nope.  I'd rather golf alone than with a drunken once-a-year chopper who doesn't respect my stuff.  Bigtime.

Yeah.  I don't to be embarrassed playing some with drunk dude hacking around the course and slowing me down and I'll definitely don't want him to touch my clubs (especially my driver).  I was paired up a guy like that not too long ago and it wasn't fun.

• Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

14 hours ago, miles2go said:

Anyone else got a garbage bag?  What you got ?  

Yes.  I keep a box of Glad extra large scented with Febreeze.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Haha 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

You guys who keep an extra set for guests are saints.  In my universe, if someone shows up and they have no clubs, they don't play...

Driver 10° PING G400 SFT // Driver 10.5° PING G400 Max 

Fairway Wood 18.5° PING G400 // Fairway Wood 18.5° PING G400

Irons PING i20 (5-9, PW, UW) // Irons PING i25 (5-9, PW, UW, SW)

Wedges 56°/60° PING Anser Forged // Wedge 58° PING Anser Forged

Putter PING Karsten Piper (34 3/4") // Putter PING Redwood Piper S (34 3/4")

I keep a spare bag for out of town guests and family members who want to go play while they are visiting the beach.  It’s always been a lot of fun, and we use their club rental money for drinks on the course.  It’s nothing special but very playable for a wide range of people:

Original M1 driver set at 10.5

Original Steelhead 3 and 5 wood

Ping Eye 2 irons 3-SW

Ping Anser 2

• Like 2

Nope - I'm with most of the folks so far. Rent or buy your own clubs. If you don't have your own clubs, you don't play.

Driver: Cobra F9 @ 11.5 Degrees

5 Wood: Cobra F8 @ 18 Degrees

Hybrid: Cobra 3-4 OS @ 20.5 degrees

Hybrid: Cobra F9 @ 24 Degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 19's 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degrees

Putter: PXG Closer

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 6:53 AM, Kentendo said:

I keep a spare bag for out of town guests and family members who want to go play while they are visiting the beach.  It’s always been a lot of fun, and we use their club rental money for drinks on the course.  It’s nothing special but very playable for a wide range of people:

Ping Eye 2 irons 3-SW

Ping Anser 2

That's a pretty serviceable set I'd say.

• Like 1

My loaner set is just the old clubs I’m not using anymore

Taylormade R1 Black

Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 3hl

Adams a 12 Pro 20 hybrid

Mizuno MP 57 4-PW 

Random assortment of old vokeys

Odyssey white hot 7

have other clubs laying around that I’ll let my buddies swap in and out every now and then 

Driver: Taylormade M4 (9.5) - Diamana D+ 70X

3W: Nike VR Pro LE (15) - Diamana S 83X

Utility: Taylormade GAPR Lo 3i (19) - Tensei CK Pro White 100TX

Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo (4-PW) - DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM7 52.8, SM8 56.10, 60.04 - DG S400

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #3

I'm curious, why most of the people are so concerned about borrowing old clubs? I have sets in the basement at from different eras, I would have no problem in borrowing but I don't think the casual guest would be good enough to have fun playing with them 

one set I would have no problem let someone play is :

Callaway Big bertha 454 10+

r11 4W 16+

Ben hogan cft hybrid 19*

4-Aw Taylormade speed blade

random wedge

wilson dynabalance putter

On 10/3/2020 at 9:57 AM, JohnKHawk said:

Nope - I'm with most of the folks so far. Rent or buy your own clubs. If you don't have your own clubs, you don't play.

Wow.

I have an ever-changing backup set that's been used at least a dozen times from out of town old friends. I can't imagine drawing the line above....

Cripe, I've supplied balls, tees, pushcarts and even shoes that fit, not to mention rides to the course, rangefinders, etc., etc.....

"If you don't have your own clubs, you don't play..."

sutton foster wow GIF by TV Land

• Like 1

X________________________________ Sign Here

I've got the irons I grew up playing paired with a couple woods I got at the flea market for $10 that I loan to the guys that only play once or twice a year in the company tournament.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

I’ve used the “multiple backup sets for visiting family/friends” logic for well over a decade now and I can count on one hand how many times I’ve used old clubs for that purpose. That said, I can put a decent bag together for my people w/o too much concern about what they will do to my clubs. Otherwise I would rent clubs for them. 

Edited by llamont
I love golf
On 10/3/2020 at 9:53 AM, Kentendo said:

Ping Eye 2 irons 3-SW

Ping Anser 2

I'd come visit you just to play those clubs. Nice!

• Like 1