Question for Walkers

I walk all rounds and carry my bag, i make sure all my golf shoes are comfortable and solid make up. I stick with Adidas and Footjoy. I am a little overweight but my feet might feel tired but never hurt. I am able to go home and do whatever the wife needs, plus coach softball and other things. 

• Like 1

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

60 years old here and about 260 lbs.  I walk over 140 rounds a year, mostly push cart, some times carry.  Shoes make a huge difference for me along with good socks.  Something with good arch support like FJ DNA work better for me than spike-less “comfort shoes”.  Also I need to rotate shoes if I am playing back to back days.  24 hours is not enough to dry out sweat dampened shoes.  If I follow these rules, my feet are fine, if not, I will suffer.

• Like 1

You shouldn’t have sore feet. Spend the money on good shoes. For spikeless, Ecco Biom Hybrids are awesome. For spiked shoes, any higher end FJ, Nike, or Jordan shoes are always comfortable. 

I walk with a push cart, about 7 miles on the course. I have 200+ rounds walking this year. 6’5”/250lbs. 

Buy a few pairs and rotate them. 

• Like 1

My husband is of similar age and physical shape as you. He used to walk with a push cart and would have tired feet after 18 (7.5miles) to a point that he had to rest for the rest of the day (could be an excuse?), but would be able to play golf again the next day. Our course is on the foothills so there are plenty of elevation changes. His foot pain got worse and he ended up with plantar fasciitis. He no longer walks but would still have pain after every round. He recently got custom orthotics and pain is getting better.

I also used to walk until I started having ankle and heel pain. Turned out I have developed bone spurs, so I stopped walking too. I got orthotics and changed to walking/running shoes that has a wide footbed (Merrell) and that helped.

It took about 2 seasons for issues to develop for both of us. I played/walked ~160 rounds each season and ~90 rounds for my husband. We both only ride now.

• Like 1

My biggest problem with shoes is sizing. When FootJoy was still making shoes in the USA, a 10m in any model would fit. In the past years, I've tried other brands, and I've had shoes that range from 9.5 to 11. It also seems that every time a find a shoe I like, the company discontinues the model. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses.

As the OP, I will say that my next steps are to get a good pair or two of socks. I've been eyeing and researching Kentwool but have no doubt others are good and at least better than what I am wearing now. For shoes, I am eyeing Trues and hoping to be patient until black friday....I think I can, I think I can.....

I was able to grab a pair of Ecco Base One shoes for $49. I was looking at the higher end models on sale but grabbed these because of price. I've always wanted to try Eccos but the fit was always either to small or next size up to big. I tried these on and they fit good in the size I ordered. 

They came while I was out playing my round so I haven't walked in them yet. They feel comfortable and very light weight walking in the basement. I know they are a lower end model of Ecco but they do look like quality. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 9:49 AM, howaboutme said:

First, I chose to put this post in this category because I feel like it is more relevant to golf shoes and that is ultimately the question at hand.

For those that walk 18 or more typically, how do your feet feel afterwards? This is a serious question because since I'm relatively new to golf (going on 2 years) and do plenty of walking for my rounds, I'm not entirely sure how your feet are supposed to feel after a round. Is it normal to have sore feet? I mean sore to a point that the bottoms of your feet hurt when walking (again, after round, not during)? I'm trying to determine if what I feel is par for the course or I need to consider better walking shoes? Do people end a typical 18 hole round w/ no soreness at all?

I'd like to hear what my fellow walkers go through.

I do carry too and perhaps that exacerbates it a bit?

Edit for more details: 44 yrs old, average shape but not overweight, and feet are sore for a short period and are usually fine the next morning and no other parts of my body hurt.

Thanks!

Just wanted to help you out here. Granted, I am in my early 20's I still walk a lot with my dad 60+ and we have a lot of experience trying out all the best golf shoes and soles for the greatest comfort. Yes, golf can make your feet sore and your body sore (to all the golf haters who say it's not a sport or whatever). I've walked 18-54 holes in a day before and trust me your feet will hurt no matter what shoes you're wearing or if you're carrying or push-carting your clubs. 

Over the years technology has improved a lot in terms of shoes and the variety given by brands is great because there are shoes tailored to those who walk, those who want a stiff-vintage shoe, those want stability and comfort, those who want breathability and comfort, those who want a spike-less shoe, etc...My recommendation to you is to use extra padding around your Achilles and heel to lighten the load on your feet. You can buy supports or padding from companies like Vibram (https://us.vibram.com/). 

Best shoes that I have worn for walking (I have a pretty medium sized foot and sometimes like to wear a wider shoe). Nike Lunar Control 4's, Under Armour Tour Tempo's, Nike Lunar Command 2's, Any Sketchers golf shoe, Adidas 360's, and GFore's if you can tolerate the stiffness because the padding on the insoles does wear out after about 20-30 rounds (love the shoes though). Hope this helps 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonytheTiger said:

Just wanted to help you out here. Granted, I am in my early 20's I still walk a lot with my dad 60+ and we have a lot of experience trying out all the best golf shoes and soles for the greatest comfort. Yes, golf can make your feet sore and your body sore (to all the golf haters who say it's not a sport or whatever). I've walked 18-54 holes in a day before and trust me your feet will hurt no matter what shoes you're wearing or if you're carrying or push-carting your clubs. 

Over the years technology has improved a lot in terms of shoes and the variety given by brands is great because there are shoes tailored to those who walk, those who want a stiff-vintage shoe, those want stability and comfort, those who want breathability and comfort, those who want a spike-less shoe, etc...My recommendation to you is to use extra padding around your Achilles and heel to lighten the load on your feet. You can buy supports or padding from companies like Vibram (https://us.vibram.com/). 

Best shoes that I have worn for walking (I have a pretty medium sized foot and sometimes like to wear a wider shoe). Nike Lunar Control 4's, Under Armour Tour Tempo's, Nike Lunar Command 2's, Any Sketchers golf shoe, Adidas 360's, and GFore's if you can tolerate the stiffness because the padding on the insoles does wear out after about 20-30 rounds (love the shoes though). Hope this helps 🙂 

Also, I totally forgot to add this, but Ecco golf shoes. Clouds beneath your feet, literally!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

52 here and I walk abliet I push a cart and usually with a brolly. Play once a week on Saturday due to the 9 to 5 job. Now, it's Los Angeles and I play when it's 115F or 50F and stocking up on a lot of water on the cart when it goes above 95F.

As for shoes, I am really into the Adidas Bounce BOAs that came out a few seasons ago. Got them for a great prices in a few pairs. What I love about them is that they are superlight and very comfortable. I kinda appreciate not having a ton of weight on my feet like a classic golf shoe.

Lately, I've been wearing the Puma Ignite spikeless BOA. I kinda mix it up and rotate my shoes. My socks of choice are the KentWool, best damn protection for the foot and works great in pure heat or pure cold. I have not had any blisters with these socks and can't say enough about them.

Other than that, I really enjoy walking and golfing. Definitely play much better while I walk as well - kinda hard to stay mad when you are exercising and by the time I get to the ball, mellowed out and figured out the shot I need to hit.

... at least downed a beer before the next shot 😜

With electric cart, I am speeding from here to there to there to there. Still hoping mad each time. Ugh.

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Very helpful topic.  I, too, walk the vast majority of my rounds and have developed some of the same issues with foot/heel soreness that usually starts to become plainly noticeable in the middle of the back nine.  I have about a 15 minute drive home, and my first steps when I get out of the car could best be described as hobbling.  It hasn’t been enough to dissuade me from playing, but I’m concerned that it will if it worsens.  I don’t think it is a footwear issue—I rotate through multiple pairs and styles of FootJoys, and didn’t have this problem prior to a couple of years ago.  Sounds like it is time to talk to the doc and see what can be done.

I walk nearly every round, always use a push cart (more for my back that anything). I've had terrible feet since I can remember. Made the investment to buy a pair of Eccos and it's made all the difference. Not saying Eccos are a cure all, but invest in a really good pair of shoes from whatever brand you find best and replace them sooner than you think. It's worth it.

Concerning socks, I also use good socks. Mine of choice are Ballega Silver, about $15/pair but again very worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeacLaw05 said:

Very helpful topic.  I, too, walk the vast majority of my rounds and have developed some of the same issues with foot/heel soreness that usually starts to become plainly noticeable in the middle of the back nine.  I have about a 15 minute drive home, and my first steps when I get out of the car could best be described as hobbling.  It hasn’t been enough to dissuade me from playing, but I’m concerned that it will if it worsens.  I don’t think it is a footwear issue—I rotate through multiple pairs and styles of FootJoys, and didn’t have this problem prior to a couple of years ago.  Sounds like it is time to talk to the doc and see what can be done.

Plantar fasciitis. Pain AFTER the round. Pain comes when you get out of your 15 min drive home. Pain after you sat for an hour watching TV the same night. Slight pain when you get out of bed morning after.

Its 100% footwear issue. I changed my shoes to Ecco's and started using high arch insoles ( i have high arch) and that def alleviated 90% of pain.

• Like 1
TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

On 10/3/2020 at 9:49 AM, howaboutme said:

First, I chose to put this post in this category because I feel like it is more relevant to golf shoes and that is ultimately the question at hand.

For those that walk 18 or more typically, how do your feet feel afterwards? This is a serious question because since I'm relatively new to golf (going on 2 years) and do plenty of walking for my rounds, I'm not entirely sure how your feet are supposed to feel after a round. Is it normal to have sore feet? I mean sore to a point that the bottoms of your feet hurt when walking (again, after round, not during)? I'm trying to determine if what I feel is par for the course or I need to consider better walking shoes? Do people end a typical 18 hole round w/ no soreness at all?

I'd like to hear what my fellow walkers go through.

I do carry too and perhaps that exacerbates it a bit?

Edit for more details: 44 yrs old, average shape but not overweight, and feet are sore for a short period and are usually fine the next morning and no other parts of my body hurt.

Thanks!

I'm gonna answer your queries sequentially to try and provide the most clarity.

1. My feet feel great after 18 as long as the course isn't a roller coaster of a walk.

2. It is normal to have sore feet if you walk 18 holes more than 5x a week and use stiff-old shoes for more than half of those rounds

3. Sore points depend on how wide or flat the persons feet are, a totally subjective question

4. Yes, get better walking shoes.

5. Post 18 hole soreness depends on a multitude of factors (how many prior rounds walked, stretching factors, gym factors, weather, course layout, etc...)

6. Carrying hurts you, but it makes your back stronger! Get a push cart.

Bonus: Look at Sketchers, New Balance, or Ecco Golf shoes and thank me later 😉 

• Like 1

In a nutshell, your feet shouldn't hurt after walking 18.  They hurt for a reason.  Best to determine why and take corrective action.  General comments to the above:

To many golf shoes (and shoes in general) have narrow toe boxes.  I find them unwearable.  Look for ones wider in that area.  Eccos are good.  I'm wearing True Linkswear Outsider's.  Super comfortable. Can walk all day in them without issue.

Go spikeless if possible.  Shoe sizing is all over the place.  Never buy without trying them first.  If they don't quite fit right in the store, they likely aren't going to feel better with use.  

In spring and fall sloppy conditions, have a pair of Gore-Tex hiking shoes that are a good fit for my feet and very comfortable.  Trial running shoes are another good option.  Tread patterns equal to spikeless IMO.

Use a push cart.  Removes all the strain from you back lugging a bag around.  The weight doesn't do your feet any favors either.  I'm 69, sure as he(ll) don't want to carry.  Walking doesn't mean you're required to carry as well.  

Invest in quality insoles.  I've used Superfeet.  A number of different versions, may require some experimentation to optimize.  Someone knowledgeable may offer selection assistance. 

If foot pain remains chronic and persistent, time to consult with a podiatrist.  I had a chronic foot condition, the podiatrist (who happened to be a runner and a golfer) gave me solid advice for shoe considerations.  And a couple of exercises to utilize.  After suffering for a couple of months, the pain went away in a week.  

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

On 10/3/2020 at 4:13 PM, howaboutme said:

Good question. Yes I do. I used to live in NYC so walking miles is normal. Currently live just outside of DC but work in DC so walking is the norm, though Covid and working from home has changed a bit. I don't think building up is an issue. Also have both cycling and running in my background. My current state of relative inactivity (other than golf) is due to 2 young kids.

Building up is always an issue, don’t care what the background is. Unless strength training lots currently and often and it’s still not helping, chances are could be doing more of it and it will help

but I wear salewa ultra train shoes. Comfy as heck. And the added bonus that because they are just very grippy sneakers, I don’t feel compelled to swing like an $&@. 

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Thanks all! I appreciate all of the responses.

I'm trying to correct this issue right now. I've moved onto more premium socks and anticipate getting some Ecco's but waiting on BF to see what deals are available. I was initially dead set on True's but some advice against True's for people w/ foot issues. I did try some Ecco's recently in a store and thought they felt good. If that doesn't work, I anticipate something like superfeet.

Price or brand is not really an indication of quality.   The key is finding shoes that fit your feet. Shoes are built on a last (or a model foot shape). If the last is not close to your foot shape you'll have problems.  I've had "good" shoes that didn't work and inexpensive shoes that did and visa versa.  Everybody's feet are different. I was fortunate to find golf shoes that fit mine and it made walking painless and easy.

Like some others who have responded, I have switched to trail shoes.  As a rule, they are much lighter and there are many more models than there are in golf shoes.  The chance of finding a make/model that fit your feet is higher.

You can start to figure it out if you have some shoes that work better than  the rest. The footjoy site has details about each model including which last it was built from.

A word of caution about last year's models, the construction techniques used don't lend themselves to long life, especially more athletic shoes.  The glues only last a year or so.  That's why Nike warrantied for a year from the date of manufacture. I found that out the hard way.  Shoes did go through a phase where they were made of many pieces glued together especially on the soles.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 12:49 PM, howaboutme said:

For those that walk 18 or more typically, how do your feet feel afterwards?

Might be hard to explain but, if the course is hilly and in Western PA, they all are, my feet feel "fatigued and larger" if that makes sense?

As a frequent walker with big feet (size 14) and around your age (48), I can say DO NOT underestimate the importance of COMFORTABLE shoes.

I posted this same thing about a year back on overestimated and underestimated things about golf equipment.

People constantly buy the brand new this years model $500 driver and spend $60 on a pair of off the rack GreenJoys.

I'm more apt to play a driver a few years old and pay $200 or more for a pair of golf shoes.

Edited by double_d
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, howaboutme said:

Thanks all! I appreciate all of the responses.

I'm trying to correct this issue right now. I've moved onto more premium socks and anticipate getting some Ecco's but waiting on BF to see what deals are available. I was initially dead set on True's but some advice against True's for people w/ foot issues. I did try some Ecco's recently in a store and thought they felt good. If that doesn't work, I anticipate something like superfeet.

Dont be so quick to settle on Superfeet. Just because its so popular and ranks near the top on the web doesnt mean it fits you. I actuially found Superfeet super uncomfortable out of all the insoles i have tried. It actually downright sucked for me. Just ask me lol, ill tell you how i spent a couple hundred on insoles and the one that worked best was a $15 Walk-Hero as opposed to a $35-55 Superfeet. 

Most important aspect is the arch support and the softness. Soft enough to absorb the shock in every step, but rigid enough to support your arch. Arch has to be high enough so as to NOT let the arch collapse every step u take.

• Like 2
TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

2 hours ago, bunta said:

Dont be so quick to settle on Superfeet. Just because its so popular and ranks near the top on the web doesnt mean it fits you. I actuially found Superfeet super uncomfortable out of all the insoles i have tried. It actually downright sucked for me. Just ask me lol, ill tell you how i spent a couple hundred on insoles and the one that worked best was a $15 Walk-Hero as opposed to a $35-55 Superfeet. 

Most important aspect is the arch support and the softness. Soft enough to absorb the shock in every step, but rigid enough to support your arch. Arch has to be high enough so as to NOT let the arch collapse every step u take.

To elaborate/expound on this… Super feet and other types of insoles like that were actually some thing that my physical therapist highly recommended against. Promotes instability, lack of development of the required muscles that are actually getting fatigued. They said if I was feeling the need for arch support, or more supportive shoes, I was likely suffering from lack of strength in the areas I needed them.   They recommended I stick with normal insoles, and focus on eliminating the weak spots. It worked for me. 

So I also would not be so quick to settle on super feet, but for different reasons. 

I know it’s the least sexy response, “go hit the gym.” Buying stuff is so much easier and more fun. But when it comes to chronic stuff like that, unfortunately “hit the gym” (in safe, smart ways) is usually the move

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

3 hours ago, double_d said:

Might be hard to explain but, if the course is hilly and in Western PA, they all are, my feet feel "fatigued and larger" if that makes sense?

As a frequent walker with big feet (size 14) and around your age (48), I can say DO NOT underestimate the importance of COMFORTABLE shoes.

I posted this same thing about a year back on overestimated and underestimated things about golf equipment.

People constantly buy the brand new this years model $500 driver and spend $60 on a pair of off the rack GreenJoys.

I'm more apt to play a driver a few years old and pay $200 or more for a pair of golf shoes.

This. Buying the newest driver and wearing budget golf spikes just to almost fall over when swinging from terrible balance and comfort. Meanwhile real players can swing it in flip flops. 
we’ve all been there

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1