Anyone buying PXG BlackJack putter?

PingPoncho

2 minutes ago, roundersmitty said:

Exactly.  The marketplace needs manufacturers to copy each other to become appealing to the more of the market.  I would like Sik to copy an Odyssey 7 design  My favourite design with better face tech.

They might do a #7 one day who knows, they are gaining more traction and I'm sure want to offer more appealing shapes. I know they have their Flo model which is a popular mallet, their Sho is a mid mallet that I don't see anyone really use, maybe that would get the axe. But you can always call them and ask about the possibility of a #7 in the future. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

OK the BlackJack has landed - that is my preferred spelling of the name 🙂  In order to discuss the BlackJack putter, I am going to speak about 3 other PXG putters that I have in order to put it all in perspective.

The four Gen 2 models are:

1. GunBoat Mini - 33", std lie
  2. GunBoat Mini - 34" std lie
  3. Lucky D - 33.5", 2º up
  4. BlackJack - 33.5", 2º up

Let's start with looks - they are all  a black color, but they do not look the same.  The GunBoat is the darkest color, the Lucky D is kind of light and marks up easily.  The BlackJack is pretty dark and closer to the GunBoat than the Lucky D.

The Lucky d is a non-symmetric D shape with two weights.  The Mini GunBoat is a medium mallet with 6 weights.  The BlackJack is a medium mallet with 4 weights.  The BlackJack is very cool looking and has a low profile.

I have an artificial green that I putt on about 5 days a week so I am forever testing putters.  I also have a Dave Pelz Truthboard that I use all the time.  The BlackJack came with 4 10g weights and I changed it to have 10's in the front and 15s in the back - I prefer a heavier feeling putter, but not too heavy so I can still have distance control.

The BlackJack sits very nicely on the green and is very easy for me to line up - having said that, I believe that the length and lie angle have a large influence on the ability to line up a putter, but this one is great for me.  The feel is very solid through the ball - with the increased weight it makes it feel more solid.  You can see the blade length of the BlackJack is longer than the other two

Distance control was really good for the BlackJack as well.   The visual of the Tungsten weight on the BlackJack helps with lining it up as well.  I have a first generation of the ™ Spider and the BlackJack looks way better to my eye.

I am going to get it out on the course on Sunday and will be able to give it a better run down on how it performs.  Right now it feels very good to me.

The BlackJack makes both the Lucky D and the Mini GunBoat seem to be a little less stable though the ball.  And I really like both of those putters.

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Awesome post. Possible to get a pic from address. With this great photos it would be great to see it at address. Appreciate it. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Here are a couple one from the top of the grip and another closer to the head.

I played today but it was a tough day to evaluate the putter - fairly cold - windy-rain-aerated greens-top dressed greens. I struggled with the Sink mini grip the most.  Need to see if I need to change that out for a bigger grip.  I like the putter but I could not get my speed down, but like I said the greens were not consistent or anywhere near normal 🙂

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Closing my eyes! I did not see this...I did not see this....

I tried that too, didn't work at all but good luck with it.

I ordered it despite being 1000% HAPPY with the Gunboat H !!!!!!

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

On 10/9/2020 at 9:57 AM, KOKRAK_IS_ALL_IN said:

jason is all in on the blackjack

Jason just won the CJ Cup and he was not using a Blackjack! 

😂

In fact not even a PXG putter....but a 

Bettinardi Studio Stock 38 Prototype

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

13 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Closing my eyes! I did not see this...I did not see this....

Me too!!! Dang it!!! Man that looks so darn good!! Thanks. 

Maybe around the size of a Spider X?

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

i really want one of these and for someone who uses a blade, i frankly don't know why. 

lol 

• Like 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

This thread with the pics is killing me. Last year I really wanted the Odyssey Stroke Lab 10 putter but went with the PXG Mini Gunboat instead. Had great success with it all year and forgot about the Odyssey. Now this comes along and I am so close to just pulling the trigger for no reason at all hahaha

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

1 hour ago, gioguy21 said:

i really want one of these and for someone who uses a blade, i frankly don't know why. 

lol 

I was a blade ( Scotty Newport 2 ) user for years until I went with a Rife 2-Bar Mallet and have never looked back. From there to the Gunboat H. To me the mallets are so much easier to line up.

21 minutes ago, Kamen said:

This thread with the pics is killing me. Last year I really wanted the Odyssey Stroke Lab 10 putter but went with the PXG Mini Gunboat instead. Had great success with it all year and forgot about the Odyssey. Now this comes along and I am so close to just pulling the trigger for no reason at all hahaha

"Now this comes along and I am so close to just pulling the trigger for no reason at all hahaha"

Hey that's the same reason I bought it.

Just now, SEP1006 said:

I was a blade ( Scotty Newport 2 ) user for years until I went with a Rife 2-Bar Mallet and have never looked back. From there to the Gunboat H. To me the mallets are so much easier to line up.

"Now this comes along and I am so close to just pulling the trigger for no reason at all hahaha"

Hey that's the same reason I bought it.

well - not sure how that works with me lol - my blades all are naked; no sight aids whatsoever. i'm sure they'd all be easier to line up hahaha

the gunboat is on my radar tho as well. 

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

23 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Me too!!! Dang it!!! Man that looks so darn good!! Thanks. 

Maybe around the size of a Spider X?

Well... I do not have a Spider X, but here is a shot with a Spider Tour next to it, along with some others - starting with the Red head and black shaft is a Cameron Phantom X 8.5 (Labworx custom), Mini GunBoat, Lucky D, BlackJack, Spider Tour, Bat Attack

The BlackJack is lower profile and sleeker than the Spider.

I have an additional comment on the one I ordered - the Lamkin Sink Fit Skinny grip did not work for me on this putter.  It is too small and it caused my grip pressure to be off.  The Sink Fit grip is much larger and a better fit for me.  I swapped it for Lamkin Sink grip that makes it feel much better to me - even though it is 13" long and 123g.  Having said that you have to watch out for the grip changing the feel of the club due to overall and swing weights - lighter grip causing a heavier feel.

IMG_2853.jpg

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Well... I do not have a Spider X, but here is a shot with a Spider Tour next to it, along with some others - starting with the Red head and black shaft is a Cameron Phantom X 8.5 (Labworx custom), Mini GunBoat, Lucky D, BlackJack, Spider Tour, Bat Attack

I have an additional comment on the one I ordered - the Lamkin Sink Fit Skinny grip did not work for me on this putter.  It is too small and it caused my grip pressure to be off.  The Sink Fit grip is much larger and a better fit for me.  I swapped it for Lamkin Sink grip that makes it feel much better to me - even though it is 13" long and 123g.  Having said that you have to watch out for the grip changing the feel of the club due to overall and swing weights - lighter grip causing a heavier feel.

IMG_2853.jpg

They need to offer the blackjack without a sightline...

55 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

IMG_2853.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Appreciate it and nice rack you have 😉

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 10/20/2020 at 6:58 AM, ajlacombe said:

IMG_2853.jpg

Man, great pic / visual.

On 10/20/2020 at 7:54 AM, getitdaily said:

They need to offer the blackjack without a sightline...

I'm just the opposite, love the sightline. Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow.

On 10/20/2020 at 7:58 AM, ajlacombe said:

IMG_2853.jpg

How is the feel.off the face compared to the spider? Blackjack a lot firmer?

13 hours ago, getitdaily said:

How is the feel.off the face compared to the spider? Blackjack a lot firmer?

Wow - great question.  I have a Dave Pelz Truthboard (original aluminum one - I always use that when trying to do a "feel" comparison.  I just did the Spider Tour (black insert) and the BlackJack.  My BlackJack currently has a 13" Lamkin Sink grip and tips the scales at 609g - its kinda hefty 🙂  The Spider is stock.

You can for sure feel the Spider insert and it is not a bad feel, you can just tell that an insert is making it feel a bit softer (total opinion).  The BlackJack has the feel of a milled putter face.  Both of these putters have the slant (heel) necks.

The BlackJack is a low profile face and has a nice solid hit that is very stable.  I think the Spider feels like it is more resistant to rotating on off center hits - by this I mean it feels bigger.  So yes the BlackJack has a milled and more solid feel, and to me it feels more "right" than the Spider.  It feels more like I want a putter to feel, but still has a high MOI that you can tell, but it is not in your face like swinging something that is too big (not right).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajlacombe said:

Wow - great question.  I have a Dave Pelz Truthboard (original aluminum one - I always use that when trying to do a "feel" comparison.  I just did the Spider Tour (black insert) and the BlackJack.  My BlackJack currently has a 13" Lamkin Sink grip and tips the scales at 609g - its kinda hefty 🙂  The Spider is stock.

You can for sure feel the Spider insert and it is not a bad feel, you can just tell that an insert is making it feel a bit softer (total opinion).  The BlackJack has the feel of a milled putter face.  Both of these putters have the slant (heel) necks.

The BlackJack is a low profile face and has a nice solid hit that is very stable.  I think the Spider feels like it is more resistant to rotating on off center hits - by this I mean it feels bigger.  So yes the BlackJack has a milled and more solid feel, and to me it feels more "right" than the Spider.  It feels more like I want a putter to feel, but still has a high MOI that you can tell, but it is not in your face like swinging something that is too big (not right).

Dang it...high moi, plumber's neck, milled feel off face.

You're going to make me buy one. If they offered it without a sightline then I probably would have already ordered. 

I loved everything about my spider tour except the insert. It was too soft and I made more putts with a milled anser just because there was more pace to my putts without having to hit them hard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

What weights came in the 380g default setup?

21 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

What weights came in the 380g default setup?

10g were the stock weights in mine - you can tell what is in it if you look at their specs when they reference minimum, standard, and max head weights - based on the # of ports and the minimum weight is 5g (even though they make a 2.5g) and 20g is the max.

I am not sure why they give those #'s though since the grip would necessitate a change in head weight to get the same feel (swing weight).  If you have a 50g grip and the standard head and then change to a 125g grip, the feel will be very different because you essentially counter weighted the club by 75 g.  For clubs 4g of grip increase is a SW point, so 75g would be significant 🙂

IMO its a great putter.  I will be trying to dial it in moving forward - I did not like the Lamkin Sink Fit Skinny (I do like it on the Lucky D though)

Got mine in Thursday and like a few guys said is definitely a little smaller than it looks on-line. No issue but I was a little surprised. Anyway I ordered the armlock version, like mentioned above the stock weights are 10 grams. Too me it is a little light for what I like. Ordered 4 x 20 gram weights and also ordered the JUMBOMAX Flat putter grip, like DeChambeaus. Same grip that is on my Gunboat H. Once I get those 2 things done I really look forward to rolling this thing.

5 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

Got mine in Thursday and like a few guys said is definitely a little smaller than it looks on-line. No issue but I was a little surprised. Anyway I ordered the armlock version, like mentioned above the stock weights are 10 grams. Too me it is a little light for what I like. Ordered 4 x 20 gram weights and also ordered the JUMBOMAX Flat putter grip, like DeChambeaus. Same grip that is on my Gunboat H. Once I get those 2 things done I really look forward to rolling this thing.

What length?

This thread has been super enabling and just what I need/didn't need. I ordered one a couple days ago through my proshop. Heel shafted. Will play with the stock sink fit grip and decide if I wanna put on a gravity grip or not.

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser