Anyone buying PXG BlackJack putter?

8 hours ago, Kamen said:

This thread has been super enabling and just what I need/didn't need. I ordered one a couple days ago through my proshop. Heel shafted. Will play with the stock sink fit grip and decide if I wanna put on a gravity grip or not.

Me too. I called pxg yesterday to clarify weight. They list a minimum weight as 350 grams. That's the most I want a putter head to weigh. Apparently 340 is reall the minimum if you remove all weights. But to get to 350, I was told you have to order the putter with the lighter weight kit. It's only $20 more but there's a big part of me that feels charging for less weights is absurd. A $475 putter after grip and shipping should be able to be ordered in the weight config they list on the site as minimum. Cust svc rep is going to check if they'll do the lighter weight config. If not, I'll probably pass just on principle alone. Really don't like sightlines so that was already in the back of my mind. Paying extra for a setup they note as a spec'd weight config, at the price point of the putter, rubs me wrong...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spider x vs blackjack vs Odyssey stroke lab 10 vs Directed Force 2.1      

They ALL copy, especially putters. Simple as that!!!!!

Well... I do not have a Spider X, but here is a shot with a Spider Tour next to it, along with some others - starting with the Red head and black shaft is a Cameron Phantom X 8.5 (Labworx custom), Min

Posted Images

19 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

What length?

43"

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 10.5* | Mitsubishi Tensei Red Regular
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL Ultralight grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

On 10/9/2020 at 10:08 AM, endy said:

I really like the feel of the Gen 2 putter lineup, and have owned the operator, bat attack, spitfire, gunboat and closer. I'd be lying if I said this one won't be added to the list eventually haha. 

Thinking of buying closer, gunboat or mini gunboat.  Which one did you like best?

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST - Tour 65 stiff
Ping G410 LST 15 3 wood - Ping Tour 75 stiff
Titleist 818 H1 19 degree - tensei white stiff. 
Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron - Hazardous black 6.0
Ping I210 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0
PIng Glide 3.0 51, 55, 59 DG S400
SCOTTY CAMERON Newport 2  Notchback 38" Dual balance
Titleist ProV1

So, I received my BlackJack and if I'm being honest, I'm disappointed. The putter is gorgeous, feels great, but something feels 'dead' about it when I strike the ball. I think I'm so used to the Spider S and the way it rolls the ball, I can't get comfortable with the different feel of the face. It's a shame because it's so cool looking, but not something I'm going to keep. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Onandigus said:

Thinking of buying closer, gunboat or mini gunboat.  Which one did you like best?

I’m typically more of a mallet guy, but I’ll be damned if that Closer wasn’t the best of the bunch. I’d rate it 2nd only to the Operator 

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 
Ping G410 LST 14.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Ping G410 17.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 10X 
Ping Blueprint 4-W KBS $ Taper PVD 130X  
New Level M-Type 50/54/60 KBS 610 S+
SIK DW 2.0 LAGP TZ 135 
Tour BX / TP5X

1 hour ago, Onandigus said:

I got the mini gunboat and used it all of last year. I like small mallets and the mini gunboat looked good and set up nicely for me.

I am looking forward to getting my blackjack. I hope the special pricing is indeed temporary because a couple weeks after I got gen3 irons the covid pricing hit and it's been here all along which was annoying to me.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM Driver
Callaway Mavrik 3 Fairway

Mizuno MP20 HMB 2i
PXG Gen 2 0317X 4 Hybrid
Titleist 620CB 5&6i, 620MB 7i-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50SS, 54WS, 60ES
PXG Blackjack / Evnroll ER10

Well, pxg confirmed that if you want the "minimum" head weight noted in their site then you have to buy the lower weight kit. Disappointing, and while only $20, just going to skip on this putter just on principle alone. I feel like a $475 putter after shipping and grip should be able to be ordered at a desired weight. 

Maybe it's just me, but nickle and diming by a "premium" brand just displeases me.

Edited by getitdaily
30 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Well, pxg confirmed that if you want the "minimum" head weight noted in their site then you have to buy the lower weight kit. Disappointing, and while only $20, just going to skip on this putter just on principle alone. I feel like a $475 putter after shipping and grip should be able to be ordered at a desired weight. 

Maybe it's just me, but nickle and diming by a "premium" brand just displeases me.

Are you going by what the site is saying or did you call in and speak to a representative?  I'd call in if you haven't.  I'm sure they can accommodate. 

On 10/26/2020 at 10:53 AM, StillCantPutt said:

So, I received my BlackJack and if I'm being honest, I'm disappointed. The putter is gorgeous, feels great, but something feels 'dead' about it when I strike the ball. I think I'm so used to the Spider S and the way it rolls the ball, I can't get comfortable with the different feel of the face. It's a shame because it's so cool looking, but not something I'm going to keep. 

that sometimes happens to me with my mallets when I have too much weight in the head.  You might consider tinkering with the weight if you feel inclined; otherwise you may reach out to Getitdaily, who was considering getting one. 

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

I called. Rep sent me a follow up email after checking with the build guys.

I'd reach out to the local fitter to confirm.  Better yet I go to the local fitter and get fit and have them order it. Shouldn't put too much weight in what some of those phone reps say all the time, they've been proven not to know all the details about offerings. 

Edited by snagy2000
On 10/24/2020 at 4:28 PM, SEP1006 said:

Got mine in Thursday and like a few guys said is definitely a little smaller than it looks on-line. No issue but I was a little surprised. Anyway I ordered the armlock version, like mentioned above the stock weights are 10 grams. Too me it is a little light for what I like. Ordered 4 x 20 gram weights and also ordered the JUMBOMAX Flat putter grip, like DeChambeaus. Same grip that is on my Gunboat H. Once I get those 2 things done I really look forward to rolling this thing.

Was the armlock version more expensive? I did not see it in the dropdown menu on the website. Is that a phonecall to them? Have you always played armlock? I am going back to it after a couple of seasons with a scotty. I really want to order this putter in an armlock. Im not anywhere I can be fit though.

19 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

I'd reach out to the local fitter to confirm.  Better yet I go to the local fitter and get fit and have them order it. Shouldn't put too much weight in what some of those phone reps say all the time, they've been proven not to know all the details about offerings. 

It's 2020, if I have to go see someone to order a product then I'm out...(only mild sarcasm there)

5 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

It's 2020, if I have to go see someone to order a product then I'm out...(only mild sarcasm there)

When you're willing to drop this kind of coinage, it only makes sense to get fit by their local fitters. It's offered free and the best way to get exactly the right specs ordered for you. But you do you and I'll do me you.

14 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

When you're willing to drop this kind of coinage, it only makes sense to get fit by their local fitters. It's offered free and the best way to get exactly the right specs ordered for you. But you do you and I'll do me you.

Except when you know what your specs are and what you want. I know that a putter heavier than 350g is not for me. I know a plumber's neck hosel is for me. I know 33" and 73 lie is how all my putters are setup. I know a ss pistol gt 1.0 is my grip. 

I only wanted to try this putter since it is high moi and a milled face. 

All good though. I do recommend getting fit...as long as you aren't 100% sure of your own specs. I am.

3 hours ago, airworden said:

Was the armlock version more expensive?    No, it was the same as the others.

I did not see it in the dropdown menu on the website.     It's on the website:

image.png.73aa0dc7e6a2259bcf451f4ab64fab24.png

Is that a phonecall to them? I called and ordered through my fitter, Edwin Huh. He is a great guy and won't try and sell you anything.

Have you always played armlock? Have never played armlock before, just seems like it eliminates some of the bad variables. 

I am going back to it after a couple of seasons with a scotty. I really want to order this putter in an armlock. I'm not anywhere I can be fit though.  I'm the same height as DeChambeau so I just ordered the same spec as what he was using.

I also ordered the JUMBOMAX FLAT 17" and installed it on the putter, so much better. Also ordered some heavier weights ( 4 x 20 gram ) for the putter head as I like a heavy putter.

Played this now for 2-rounds and absolutely love it. Armlock is the way to go!!!!!!

Edited by SEP1006

PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 

Probably not the best place to ask this, but I'm very tempted to get this putter. I don't really want to go and do a fitting right now, what with the pandemic, so looking for advice. Anyone have suggestions on how to check for the best lie option for yourself and also the headweight? I currently have a Scotty Newport 2 with a counterweight. I suspect I want the lightest weight set, but I'm not sure. Also, the putter has 4 weights in the base, but the options to buy additional weights are two at a time. Does that mean I need to buy two sets of the lightest weight if that's what I want?

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump
Taylor Made UDI 2 iron Diamana Tensei white 90TX
Titleist 714CB 3, 4
Titleist 714MB 5-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 and 56 WS
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Dang it...I blame covid. On a normal halloween I'd be finishing up trick or treating with my boys. Instead, I've had a couple of drinks and the family is watching some scooby doo movie. Combine that with a 34 putt day today after striping it all.day...

What does that mean? I just ordered one of these...grrr. I hate the internet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Dang it...I blame covid. On a normal halloween I'd be finishing up trick or treating with my boys. Instead, I've had a couple of drinks and the family is watching some scooby doo movie. Combine that with a 34 putt day today after striping it all.day...

What does that mean? I just ordered one of these...grrr. I hate the internet.

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Just now, DNice26 said:

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

Lol. I missed too many putts inside 10 feet today. I rarely missed those with my spider. High moi and a milled face....I couldn't resist. I'll pull all the weights and slap about 6-8g lead tape somewhere on the head to get it over 345g. If I had a halfway decent putter today I shoot 68. Instead I fumed over 73 on 12 fwys and 14 greens. Three 3putts.

• Like 1

Well as much as I love ( or maybe wanting to ) this putter it is just to light for my liking. If the extra weights don't make the head as heavy as I like I'll be going back to my Gunboat H. Which is definitely not a bad thing as I can putt lights out with that. 

Dam golf, always thinking the "grass is greener on there other side". But that's also what makes this so much fun!!!!!

PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 

5 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

Well as much as I love ( or maybe wanting to ) this putter it is just to light for my liking. If the extra weights don't make the head as heavy as I like I'll be going back to my Gunboat H. Which is definitely not a bad thing as I can putt lights out with that. 

Dam golf, always thinking the "grass is greener on there other side". But that's also what makes this so much fun!!!!!

You can try the One and Done next then haha

Taylormade SIM Driver
Callaway Mavrik 3 Fairway

Mizuno MP20 HMB 2i
PXG Gen 2 0317X 4 Hybrid
Titleist 620CB 5&6i, 620MB 7i-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50SS, 54WS, 60ES
PXG Blackjack / Evnroll ER10

9 hours ago, Kamen said:

You can try the One and Done next then haha

Definitely a thought. But since it appears to be almost exactly like my Gunboat H probably not. Wait.....................did I just say that. Okay don't quote me!!!

PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H