Golf betting question on presses, etc.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:42 AM, oikos1 said:

"Being drunk, whatever,"

Unfortunately, a good reminder for those of us who choose to imbibe on the course, when the real deal is over close out all bets and just play for craps and grins coming home.

I'd don't know where you going with this, seems like you just want to feel better about your self that you can afford to play when others can't.

10 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Sorry but I just hate reading through 1 run-on paragraph.

I suggested "it's akin to playing blackjack for 3 hours, betting variations of $5 to say $20, to grind out $1,000 profit and then bet the $1,000 on 1 hand to "double your money".

Did you say that you WOULD do this ? Or you wouldn't ?

TIA

If I were a professional card counter and the deck were very rich in face cards then that is exactly how you make money playing blackjack.  You bet a small amount for a very long time and then raise the bet when you have an advantagage (I’m ignoring getting caught card counting and that’s why they work in teams and the “big better” theory comes into play).  I’m not smart enough to count cards very accurately (or even write sentences appropriate for forums) so no, I would not do that.  

The point that is missing from that example is that you are talking about a random game (non counted blackjack where you are the underdog).  Raising the stakes when you are at a disadvantage is stupid indeed.  When you have an opponent on the ropes and have proven through 16 holes that you have an advantage then that is a time you have an advantage.  There are other things that should be factored in but in gambling theory how much you are up is not a factor...like I said for recreational players where it can have a negative effect on your evening, by all means do what is right for you.

I'm being very pedantic in trying to take issue with the term “bad gambling” and I’m going to stop sidetracking this thread after this comment (feel free to pm me, I just don’t want to clutter this conversation anymore).  But for profit gamblers would not pass on a bet because it would make them even for the day.  They look at it as one long gambling session.  The considerations are if they have an advantage and the bankroll for any individual bet.  But for those of us on the golf course, who just want to book a win and be in a good mood for the evening, then perhaps it would be “bad gambling” to accept a push.

Edited by jomatty

10 hours ago, DavidDa said:

I'd don't know where you going with this, seems like you just want to feel better about your self that you can afford to play when others can't.

If you don't know where he's going with it,,,,,,,,,, why would you make such a dismissive comment ?

You know, instead of asking what he meant,,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_rolleyes:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Here is our unwritten Nassau rules:

• Net BB of 2
  • $5 each for front, back, 18
  • $2 trash - birdie, greenie, sandie - have to make par or better after bunker shot (par after fairway bunker does not count)
  • Greenies carry over
  • Press starts a new bet on the side you are on, need to specify pressing the 18
  • Auto 2 down press is optional
  • Can't press an already lost bet - if you lose the front on 7 you cant press on 8

I am surprised to hear about being able to decline a press, never experienced that.  I guess with only $5 bets it does not matter much.  Maybe if i was up $150 it would be different.

Presses again eh?

A press is made by the person that is behind. It is a new bet to help them get to “break even”. It’s a gentleman’s game. 

A press can be accepted or declined. Only a scoundrel declines a press. Basically all my friends. Apparently they need my $2 more than I do. 

A press creates a new bet. The original bet continues. Most common is the nassau. One guy loses the front then says, “I’ll press the back”. At that point, he can only press the overall bet as that is the bet he is behind in. He can’t press the backside bet, it’s all square. In reality, unless you’re playing $3-$3-$4, one could just say they are playing the back for $4 and the overall for the same, original $2. 

What actually happens is one player won the front for $2, the other player “presses on the back” so the backside is played for $2 (all square) the overall is played for $2 (where the player is behind) and the press bet is played for  $2(also all square). 

If the player loses the 10th hole, he could press the backside (he’s 1-down), the overall (he’s still down) and the press bet (he’s 1-down). He can press any of the bets he’s behind in. Each hole. And if he keeps losing, can press those also. This accounting nightmare is why many don’t allow, or won’t accept, presses until a player is 2-down. 

Medal play press bets work similar but a little different. 

8 hours ago, nsxguy said:

If you don't know where he's going with it,,,,,,,,,, why would you make such a dismissive comment ?

You know, instead of asking what he meant,,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_rolleyes:

He can afford whiskey for breakfast, says it all right? Yeah ya know right? How many ordinary people on 33k a year could afford that, right? Just living a different life ya know.

Edited by DavidDa

5 hours ago, david.c.w said:

Here is our unwritten Nassau rules:

• Net BB of 2
  • $5 each for front, back, 18
  • $2 trash - birdie, greenie, sandie - have to make par or better after bunker shot (par after fairway bunker does not count)
  • Greenies carry over
  • Press starts a new bet on the side you are on, need to specify pressing the 18
  • Auto 2 down press is optional
  • Can't press an already lost bet - if you lose the front on 7 you cant press on 8

I am surprised to hear about being able to decline a press, never experienced that.  I guess with only $5 bets it does not matter much.  Maybe if i was up $150 it would be different.

You always have the right to decline a press because there are always guys who will buy their way out and eventually win a hole.

25 minutes ago, DavidDa said:

He can afford whiskey for breakfast, says it all right? Yeah ya know right? How many ordinary people on 33k a year could afford that, right? Just living a different life ya know.

You have issues my friend.

After he suggested he might imbibe AFTER the bets were done for whatever remained of the round, you wrote "I'd don't know where you going with this, seems like you just want to feel better about your self that you can afford to play when others can't"

So I guess I didn't get your point (either).

And his suggestion about having whiskey for breakfast had nothing to do with being able to afford it. He was alluding to not understanding where you were "going"; hence his "need" for a drink - to understand you.

Got it yet ?

As for your being here for years, at your initial pace,,,,,, I would tend to doubt it.

But I've been wrong before,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Titleist Pro V1X

Just look at the numbers right, yeah, the average golfer yeah household income is $100,980, more than 200% greater than non golfers. https://www.benchcraftcompany.com/demographics/ (must be true it's on the internet thingy right?)

Embrace your blessings ya right? You can have 1 apple then 2 more apples and still have 2 apples total, that's totally incredible ya right, I wouldn't believe that to be possible if I didn't read it on the internet, yeah ya right?

Edited by DavidDa

dilbert-chain.jpg

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

On 10/5/2020 at 5:58 PM, Soloman1 said:

I humbly submit that I've probably played more money games than 99% of golfers. I've matches against people would all know, people in golf, other sports, Hollywood entertainment types, etc.

I've never been in a game where a press was not considered a separate new bet that continued throughout the match, irrespective of other bets. Any negotiations are separate. That's the whole purpose of press.

That's my take . . .

Same.  I don't play golf unless I am gambling, and have played all games, for all amounts.  

It is common to allow a press in skins (and all other forms), and it wouldn't be considered common to think that was for one hole, unless it was 18.